My 3 "warning sirens" of New Agery

For discussion of secret combinations (political, economic, spiritual, religious, etc.) (Ether 8:18-25.)
Rock34
captain of 100

My 3 "warning sirens" of New Agery

Post by Rock34 »

1. Either flat-out denial of Christ, or some "alternate interpretation" of his role. Then again, this can be found in most "Old Age" Christian churches, orthodox Judaism and Islam, so I'm not surprised. How hard is it to believe, like scriptures state, in a permanently resurrected Jesus, and one who was the Son of an equally-embodied God the Father, and somehow atoned for the world's sins?

2. Reincarnation. The whole idea of going through an indefinite set of mortalities on this earth scares me more than Telestial or outer Darkness. Seriously. Especially if it involves taking the form of a fish and having to swim away from sharks or something. I think this originated from a true teaching ancients had on eternal progression through stages of Eternal Life(s), but mortal man started thinking it applied only to this fallen globe. Good thing statistics counter this "doctrine of the Devil" (see Joseph Smith's quote on "Transmigration"). 6.5 billion people live in 2009, about 1 billion in 1800 AD, 100 million around the time of Christ, and 50 million around the time of King David (about 1000 BC). The total to ever live on the earth is said to be about 100 billion. So not only were most lives short, but there would have to be huge intervals if reincarnation were limited to human life on this earth. One thing I will agree with though, is that life existed before, it exists after, and it's a continual progression. "Karma" is real, but I don't think endless reincarnation among various forms of life is how it manifests itself. Mormons just tend to call it "Eternal Judgement" and "Estates".

3. NWO, "unite the World" (so we can explore space, fight Martians, cure cancer, etc.,), and a lot of PC stuff that almost condemns any form of judgement (Genesis 19:9) or discrimination. Yeah, love your neighbor, but don't connect your house to his with a hallway or door. Also, the whole thing in the scriptures about using proper judgment and shunning sins and (sometimes sinners) tends to contradict this entirely.

Most of the other stuff is FWIW stuff, but it's really just a compilation of bits and pieces from religions throughout the world. There does seem to be a preference for "eastern" religions like Hinduism and Buddhism, western Wicca and near-eastern Kabbalah are also heavily gleaned from, as well as the Gnostic sect of ancient Christianity. There are a lot of truths in the "movement", but then there is a lot of purely useless and destructive elements. In addition to 3 above things, the usage of drugs in some branches is another thing that shows New Age's mind control side. Some claim these drugs make their "spiritual awakening" easier, but that's just it. It becomes a destructive, addictive crutch that leads people to the wrong kinds of "instant gratification" experiences. Hippies are infamous for their usage of drugs in addition to their New Age practices.

I do think the Law of Attraction has something to it, just like chakras, meditation, and other things. Not everything coming from the movement is bad. Well, even if it is designed to supplement NWO agendas (yes, plural) it is leaking some hidden truths about our spiritual nature, and while I believe we'll learn these things sooner or later, I don't think it will hurt to learn them sooner than some time in the next life.

keeprunning
captain of 100

Re: My 3 "warning sirens" of New Agery

Post by keeprunning »

I'd have to agree, thanks for sharing. Have you read the thread here about the law of attraction?

Rosabella
captain of 1,000

Post by Rosabella »

I like the 3 points to recognize the new age. I would like to clarify a few points.

The reason other religions seem to have some occult ideas is because they were infiltrated by the occult. The occult admits this. Instead of looking at it as the new age or occult pulled ideas from various thoughts and religions, the truth is the occult infiltrated those very religions and created these doctrines. That is why they are ancient and not new. They have been around since the beginning of time.

The way the word karma is used today the definition is far more broad therefore can in a limited way be similar to the idea we are punished for the bad we do and blessed for the good. But the true doctrine of Karma is far different then that. Besides the fact it has to go with reincarnation it also eliminates any need for a Savior. There is no mercy or grace that occurs within the doctrine. It is focused on mans perfection without a Savior. Therefore it is in nature is an anti-Christ teaching.

As for meditation it has become very popular in our culture. In researching past the new age and into the deep occult doctrines you truly find out the real reason for meditation. It acts the same as mind altering drugs. It is designed to open your mind up to a higher level of consciousness or a “spiritual awakening”. This higher level unfortunately does not make you in tune with Father but the Father of all lies. I know that it sounds like an extreme view on something that seems so simple. But when you read the deep occult they make it very clear that meditation is a “spiritual experience” nothing more. It is their version of prayer. That is why it is the primary teaching at all levels. You must meditate to become awakened to your own divinity. You meditate to bring forth Lucifer into the world by willing good will to the world. It is through meditation one can channel an entity (demon) you can receive visions, auto-write, receive an inner voice. Meditation is completely self focused not Christ focused. My will not thine. It is the way all of the deep occult books were channeled by evil spirits. There is no where in the scriptures that teaches the idea of meditation in this form. We are never to empty our minds to be filled with understanding. We are to ponder and think about things and take them to prayer. Meditation is the opposite, it is designed to empty you mind of all thoughts and become one with the world (not filled with the Holy Ghost). Our Church no where suggests meditation and LDS books stores do not carry books on the subject. Though every occultist that knows they are working for Lucifer fully practices and encourages meditation.

I do not feel we can learn truths from Lucifer and his occult teachings. The idea that New Age or Occult is leaking hidden truths is very dangerous. They are only leaking Lucifer’s plan not Fathers. So yes there may be some degree of “truth” as far as it is Lucifer’s truth and his Plan. Everything they teach comes from Lucifer’s point of view and his agenda. We can learn what he says, but we can not learn eternal truths.

The idea of gaining truths from the occult really boils down to this. This is my question: do you want to learn from Father or Lucifer. It is that simple. We can not find hidden truths from Lucifer we can find his twisted version or complete lies. I would rather go to Father and have Him reveal His mysteries to me than to go to Lucifer for his mysteries. If Father is not willing to show me, he has a reason, then I will wait before I would try to learn any of Lucifer mysteries. Lucifer does not give us truths, he changes them enough to help us fall. He will never give real mysteries that we can use for our betterment.

kathyn
captain of 1,000

Post by kathyn »

That is why they are ancient and not new. They have been around since the beginning of time.
Bella, that is so true! I fear that these occult teachings are the most anti-christ of all and are extremely dangerous, especially because they seem so harmless!

We are living in a time when the word "spiritual" really refers to "spiritualism" for most people. (The world doesn't understand the difference between being spiritual and spiritualism.) They don't want organized religion (since it's painted as evil). Instead they want to get in tune with their spiritual self but are deluded into thinking that they can only do it by meditation. Prayer is nowhere to be found. Meditation is one of the greatest deceptions out there and it is being pushed on us almost daily. You are so right about the channelers, etc. Meditation is not the same thing as pondering and prayer.

I remember when I was younger, we were told that we couldn't rely on anyone's testimony but our own....not our parents...not our leaders. Now we're at the place that the Saints are truly being tried by the philosphies of man, whether it be athesim, occultism, or New Age religions...the attacks are daily from all sides. If there was ever a time we needed to be strong in the faith, this is it. And mighty prayer is necessary for us to stand.

Rock34
captain of 100

Post by Rock34 »

Bella wrote:The idea of gaining truths from the occult really boils down to this. This is my question: do you want to learn from Father or Lucifer. It is that simple. We can not find hidden truths from Lucifer we can find his twisted version or complete lies. I would rather go to Father and have Him reveal His mysteries to me than to go to Lucifer for his mysteries. If Father is not willing to show me, he has a reason, then I will wait before I would try to learn any of Lucifer mysteries. Lucifer does not give us truths, he changes them enough to help us fall. He will never give real mysteries that we can use for our betterment.
Lucifer has deceived many of God's people into thinking all spiritual experiences come from him. This is not so. When Jesus was in the wilderness, it was the Spirit that took him away in spirit, not Satan as some Bible translations say. Satan doesn't own these areas of gnosis (personal knowledge, which Jesus was a big supporter of, and the Book of Mormon as well)

Lehi had a dream, and Nephi desired to see the same dream for himself. Was this evil because it was self-centered? Or was it what God wants all of us to desire, and is willing to provide us? Nephi was taken away in a vision because he desired to see these things. Mahonri Moriancumr had so great faith that the Lord could no longer be occluded by the "veil". These are all examples of "gnosis", which based off of the Greek word for "knowledge within" (as opposed to Science which is knowledge without, or by senses) or what we call "Testimony"

All meditation is is a way to access the same world one goes to involuntarily every time they dream. Is it a sin because it is controlled by one self and there is no feeling like one is swept away like the wind with no control? As far as drugs are concerned, I think you have it reversed. Drugs are just a shortcut to get to the state most desire when they meditate. Drugs just make the process easier, but there is a price. It takes away one's control to do these things when they want to, as well as impairing their judgement in the so-called material world. All mind-altering drugs do is open "gates" that let certain things out or in. Plus they are addictive, whereas meditation usually takes discipline and is a hard habit to maintain. Another key difference is that meditation is free, while MA-drugs cost a lot of money.

Why do you think they call it a "trip" when they are high or whatever they call it? Because they felt they traveled some place else. These are the experiences most "druggies" crave, in their enslavement to the chemical concoctions known as "drugs".

Rosabella
captain of 1,000

Post by Rosabella »

Spiritual experiences come from two sources. Lucifer or Christ. Where the deception comes in is where we are told we can have them on our own.

All the great prophets listed were shown things by God. There are only two paths to walk. Elder Featherstone gave me this example.

There was a good man that was out in a field one day when Lucifer came and talked with him. Lucifer told asked him if he was sure the book of Mormon was true. He then told the man to go back and read it. The man did that night. He read the Book of Mormon all the way through and felt nothing. He felt no truth it was empty. This greatly concerned the man, so he got on his knees and talked to God. God told him to read the book again but this time He would take him through it instead of Lucifer. As the man read the pages of the book of Mormon this time with the Holy Ghost, the Holy Ghost testified of its truthfulness. He was full of joy and faith for he sought the Lords will and no his own understandings. He was not aware it was Lucifer that was taking him through the book of Mormon. But he had the faith to turn to God for the answers why. He could have just concluded it was false. The next day he was called to be a stake president over a vast area in Canada. He was almost tricked out of his faith from Lucifer. Lucifer knows if the Holy Ghost is not there he is. For there are only two sides that prompt us and guide us. We are not left to our own devises. That is what Lucifer is now teaching, all truth is inside ourselves for we are “gods” This is his great lie and deception. As the GAs told me this would play a huge role in the separation of the wheat and tares in the church.

We are either inspired by Lucifer or God. There is no middle ground we get to walk.

We all have the right to ask Father to show us things in vision and revelations but we also need to except that if He chooses not to that is His answer. We are not then to seek out other means of spiritual experiences outside of Him. I would be the last person to ever say that the Lord does not use visions, revelations etc to teach us for I testify He does. Yet I am the first to say all Lucifer can mimic spiritual gifts. The only way to safe guard yourself is to never focus on your will but only focus on doing the will of Father. Seek not your own understandings but seek the Lords in all things. If we are to be like Him, we are to be teachable by Him, not prideful and self seeking.

There are no spiritual experiences controlled by ones self. They come from one power or the other. Lucifer wants us to believe we have the power within or the ‘”divine within” to reach spiritual states without Father. It is one or the other that give us these experiences. We are to learn from Father what we want to know not go to Lucifer.

I am explaining what those that follow Lucifer do and what they say meditation is for and how it works. It is to gain inspiration from Lucifer and his spirit guides. Father has many other ways to show us these things. The “Divine within” and meditation bring out the self-focused parts of us, our pride. We are to be humble and submit our will to Father in all things. We are not to find paths around Father for our own means. We either rely on Father completely or we are relying on Lucifer to fill in our perceived missing gaps.

Again as I have said the church has never promoted meditation as a way to get close to Father or to gain insights. This is telling in its self. I know where they stand on this matter from meeting with them. But it is not necessary to have had to hear there opinions on this matter it is not in the scriptures nor ever taught. If it was an approved path of gaining spiritual knowledge it would be taught in our Church and it is not. But it is taught in Lucifer’s spirituality as a means to reach him and his spirit guides and their promptings and information.

In verifying the accuracy of the book of Mormon what are we taught to take it to the Lord in questions and that the Holy Ghost will cause a burning in the bosom as a witness. We are not told to seek answers of its truth other ways. This is how we are to seek truth in all things. We are to take them to the Lord and seek His guidance. We are not to find answers by taping into some great source of knowledge of the universe via meditation that we are told is neutral, does not exist, it is not neutral. There are only two sides that teach us Father and Lucifer. We can not gain spiritual insights on our own. It is either The Holy Ghost teaches us or Lucifer and his followers do.

Rosabella
captain of 1,000

Post by Rosabella »

kathyn wrote:
That is why they are ancient and not new. They have been around since the beginning of time.
Bella, that is so true! I fear that these occult teachings are the most anti-christ of all and are extremely dangerous, especially because they seem so harmless!

We are living in a time when the word "spiritual" really refers to "spiritualism" for most people. (The world doesn't understand the difference between being spiritual and spiritualism.) They don't want organized religion (since it's painted as evil). Instead they want to get in tune with their spiritual self but are deluded into thinking that they can only do it by meditation. Prayer is nowhere to be found. Meditation is one of the greatest deceptions out there and it is being pushed on us almost daily. You are so right about the channelers, etc. Meditation is not the same thing as pondering and prayer.

I remember when I was younger, we were told that we couldn't rely on anyone's testimony but our own....not our parents...not our leaders. Now we're at the place that the Saints are truly being tried by the philosphies of man, whether it be athesim, occultism, or New Age religions...the attacks are daily from all sides. If there was ever a time we needed to be strong in the faith, this is it. And mighty prayer is necessary for us to stand.
Great points. I like the way you explained spiritual verses spritualism! You hit the nail on the head. People are starting to feel if they have a spiritual experiance it proves that something is good and works. We are starting to live and see the battle between Christ and Lucifer like in the times of Moses. Both sides have powers. Many are falling for if it "works" or is a "miracle" it must be good. We were told we would see great wonders and miracles from Lucifer in the last days and that he can appear as an angel of light. We all must really turn away from the teachings of the world and hold on to the rod tighter than we ever have for the winds of change are blowing hard against us and if we do not have a firm grip we will be pulled into the mist of darkness. Pray pray pray for the Lord Will not ours. Seek not our own will but the Lords will in all things and follow all the counsels we have been given. The times have changed, we can not live on borrowed light any longer as you have said without becoming truly lost.

keeprunning
captain of 100

Post by keeprunning »

Bella, please clarify about what you mean about the church not teaching meditation, because I know I remember Pres. Hinckley mentioning meditating during one of his conference talks. I'm sure he just meant ponder, however I remember him using the word meditate.

Rosabella
captain of 1,000

Post by Rosabella »

keeprunning wrote:Bella, please clarify about what you mean about the church not teaching meditation, because I know I remember Pres. Hinckley mentioning meditating during one of his conference talks. I'm sure he just meant ponder, however I remember him using the word meditate.

Meditation in the Church:
Within the Church we do believe in meditating, but the definition is quite different. We are to contemplate, meditate, ponder, and pray over scriptures and Prophets words etc.. We are to think and analyze to gain a greater understanding and deeper meanings. It is a time to think, reflect ponder. To use our minds to reflect on teachings to gain a greater understanding.

Meditation in the new age:
The new age teaches to meditate is to empty your mind of thoughts. To find the “eternal now”. To become one with everything around you. There are different forms but the main commonality is to try to leave the “thinking mind” and go into a deeper state of awareness or relaxation. This place is not a contemplative pondering state of mind, but and emptying of thoughts. They achieve this through exercises like repeating a mantra, or staring into the light of a candle and feeling that you are one with the light. The primary goal is to reach a higher state of consciousness, self-awareness or a relaxed peaceful state of mind. People do this to find peace within themselves not from God. This is how mediums allow their bodies to be possessed. It is a letting go of thoughts, going into a trance. You enter what could be described as a hypotonic-trance-like state of mind. Where you are not thinking just "being". This is the training used by the occult to reach the higher states of consciousness or enlightenment putting themselves in tune with Lucifer not God. Father does not want us to empty our mind to learn things he wants us to ponder and come to greater understandings.

Gordon B. Hinckley, “Let Us Live the Gospel More Fully,” Liahona, Nov 2003, 102–3
“We are all so busy with our mundane pursuits which pull us this way and that. We all need, the whole world needs, the opportunity to meditate and reflect on the things of God and to listen to words that inspire and help.”

Gordon B. Hinckley, “Life’s Obligations,” Ensign, Feb 1999, 2

“You need time to meditate and ponder, to think, to wonder at the great plan of happiness that the Lord has outlined for His children.”

Chauncey C. Riddle, “Prayer,” Ensign, Mar 1975, 15
Meditation
“The helpmate of mighty prayer is meditation. In meditating, one tries to minimize his involvements with the physical world for a time in order to concentrate on something inner, on ideas and feelings. As a person prays sincerely with the Holy Spirit as his guide, that Spirit will bring to him many thoughts and feelings. This is part of the process of revelation. To take full advantage of this revelation, one would do well to mull over the matter under consideration, piecing together what one already knows with the new insights received.
It is one thing to have a revelation. It is quite another to understand and obey. Understanding comes in the process of careful, prayerful reflections of meditation upon what one has received. To pray is often like asking for food and then being blessed with a sumptuous meal. What would you think of a person who, when thus honored, merely took a sniff, then put the meal on a shelf and left it? Though greatly blessed, he would not be nourished.
So it may be with those who pray and do not meditate. They may have much but may be little edified.
Meditation cannot be taught, because it is something personal and private; it is the venturing of the soul into the unknown. But it can be learned by anyone who has the courage to think for himself. A likely initiation to meditation is to ponder the scriptures, the words of the living and the dead prophets of God. Banish all commentaries for a moment; forget hearsay teachings. What does the Lord actually say? What does the Spirit whisper as to how this passage or that doctrine should be understood? Where two scriptures appear at first reading to be contrary, what is the real intent of each?”

As you can tell from the above samples of Church related talks on meditation, we are to be actively involved in a process of thinking during meditation. This is the opposite of the meditation of the new age, where you are emptying your mind of all thoughts or limiting it to just focusing on one sound or image. The means of mediation are completely different. Yet both lead you to inspiration from one side or the other.

I hope this clarifies meditation better.

keeprunning
captain of 100

Post by keeprunning »

Wonderful! Great clarification.

One more thing we won't be outsmarted on. :wink:

Rosabella
captain of 1,000

Post by Rosabella »

We are so blessed to have a Prophet and the Restored Church of Christ. My heart goes out to those in the world that do not have that kind of information, strength and protection that we have. I do feel as things get worse we will seem many of the righteous in the world join with us, even it they are not members but because we are organized and have direction they long for.

All we need is to follow the Prophet in all that he says and we will not be out smarted :D

gruden
captain of 1,000

Post by gruden »

Bella wrote:There are no spiritual experiences controlled by ones self. They come from one power or the other. Lucifer wants us to believe we have the power within or the ‘”divine within” to reach spiritual states without Father. It is one or the other that give us these experiences. We are to learn from Father what we want to know not go to Lucifer.
Well... that's not entirely true. We are all spiritual creatures, and it is innate to have spiritual expression.

I wrote a couple paragraphs about my own experience and that of a mission companion I once had to highlight this, but not knowing who might read it I didn't want to risk an unprepared person reading it and misusing it so I deleted it. I'll have to rely on poorly supported assertions instead.

Sufficeth to say, we all have spiritual abilities if we choose to exercise them, but we have to remember there's a right and a wrong way. I completely agree Lucifer teaches methodologies that will lead you to experience things the wrong way. However, if we're spiritually experienced and of good understanding and discernment, we can utilize the working of the Spirit and our spiritual gifts within us to reach out.

Joseph Smith used a seer stone for many years to make inquiries, until he finally gave it away because he no longer needed it. He progressed to the point where was able to do the same thing using the spirit working inside him; he internalized seership. If we work at it, we can accomplish the same thing. It takes much effort and sacrifice, and that's the true point of it. Lucifer teaches shortcuts, like he himself tried to take to God's throne, but there are none. These things can be done if done properly.

Rosabella
captain of 1,000

Post by Rosabella »

"He progressed to the point where was able to do the same thing using the spirit working inside him"

That is what I am saying. The Spirit needs to be the one doing the work, we are the instrument not the musician. We all have different talents or spritial gifts that we are given. We can look at those as each of us are different kind of instrument. The Lord is willing to tune us to be played. We sometimes allow him to tune us and also stay in tune. But we also go out of tune. But the player "the musician" is not us. We are to submit our will to Father the Great Musician.

Lucifer as you said gives short cuts. I would also say he gives us another path that is a counterfeit to really spiritual experiences and gifts. We have been told if we are not following Father we are following Lucifer. So I say if we think we are just playing our own instrument then we are really being played by Lucifer. He is playing his tune through us. There is no self playing of the music. Our free agency comes in to chose who the musician will be. We can keep getting more and more in tune with either. Joseph Smith did not need added tools as you said because he learned how to be more in tune and stay in tune by keeping the Spirit with him. The closer we get to Father the thinner the veil is to His will. The same is true with Lucifer. The spiritual gifts get magnifed. But they are magnifed via one or the other not just us.

Yes we are very spiritual. I too have things I could share that show that greatly. But it boils down to who you give your honor to. Who is the Musician that you are choosing to play you for you can not play on your own. If we try to play our own tune then we are playing the same tune as Lucifer for he plays his own music.

That is more of what I was trying to say.

Rock34
captain of 100

Post by Rock34 »

Why would God have two expectations: one for the "material" realm and one for the world of spirits (which BTW we never actually "leave"). The expectation given in D&C for the material is study it out in your mind, search for the answer, and then ask if it is right. I say "material world" as if it exists separately to God. Reality is that God is a spiritually quickened, immortal being of flesh who has all realms, times, dimensions and places before him. (We were spirit first, and in the resurrection we will be spiritually-powered entities, who have better control over all of our innate faculties). All things are spiritual to God (D&C 29:34), so what applies to information gathering and studying in the flesh, applies to the equally real spirit realm which we tune into nightly, though clarity often varies. We may of necessity have to rely on God's help throughout the initial stages, but in the end he is about empowering us to do things for ourselves. When we have the law written in our own "inward parts", we have no more need of a schoolmaster, and can function more independently.

Now this is not downplaying the Savior's role in any way, as he takes care of things beyond our ability to control. Even he said to exercise faith of a small mustard seed. He is willing to help, but really wants us to use our own abilities. He may have been helping Peter walk on water, but Peter was doing a lot of the work before his faith faltered. Maybe Jesus was merely opening the mind of Peter to the awareness that that ability lied within himself, but Peter couldn't believe it when he saw what he was doing. Jesus didn't say that he himself stopped Peter from walking on the water, but that Peter's own lack of faith in his own abilities stopped Peter from doing so.

The fall had many affects, and one was the so-called veil that was the result of disobedience and a lack of faith. Some people's faith has descended to the point where they believe nothing beyond the fleshly senses they trust so much in. Others are content with a warm feeling every now and then in church, but are afraid to search further for personal understanding. There are legitimate dangers in these searches that should justifiably produce some fear or apprehension, but it really doesn't take much more discernment than everyday mortal evils when placed before us.

Maybe this is just me speaking, but I never liked learning by controlled curriculum. What I learned from Sunday School just by listening to the hand-picked scriptural lessons paled to when I started studying on my own time all of the scriptures. It was when I started reading them on my own that I learned the most. Dreams could be seen as hand-picked lessons. Good, but maybe you want to go a bit deeper and see what else there is, and what you can learn on your own time and under your own control. People usually call it "lucid dreaming" when they become clear enough to consciously move from place to place, aware of the state they are in and what they can do in that state. Others call the direct jump to an aware state "astral projection" (the ultimate goal of most "meditations"). There is nothing "new age" about this, as it is found in just about every religion from the beginning of man. "Astral" comes from the Greek word for "star", and if you consider that spirits in Isaiah 14 are called "stars", it is easy to equate this term with "spiritual projection".

Some really confuse it with all the different terms they use, but I just see it as the so called "two levels" of one's "soul" (their term, not the LDS usage of body + spirit) being spirit and intelligence (and possibly our "will" at the core). There are also about as many variations of spiritualism (no, I'm not afraid to use the term) as there are sects of Christianity. I don't think all forms of spiritualism are "new age", even though that's where bookstores usually place their books. Some "pagan" and "mystic" revivalists get called "New Age" just because they don't fall in the major organized religion mold. They have little to do with the New Age movement in general, and some even openly oppose it.

If it's all of the Devil, then why was the Medieval "church" so against it, yet also against many of the principles Latter Day Saints now espouse, like baptism of the dead, prophecy, visions, revelations, and so forth? The whole thing about alchemy was to keep ancient spiritual practices intact in spite of persecution from the Roman church. They had to symbolize their exoteric doctrines with metal conversion and whatnot. It made for the roots of modern Chemistry, as many text books will admit (almost in shame), but I think their preservation of spiritual knowledge was equally important, if not more so. Converting a man or woman into a higher being is much more important that converting iron into another, more useful metal. Are there not elements of this very idea in the LDS faith? We often use terms like "refiners fire" when talking of adversity and learning.

pjbrownie
captain of 1,000

Post by pjbrownie »

kathyn wrote:

You are so right. The reason meditation isn't prayer is that there is no requirement for humbling yourself before God, trembling in His might, pleading for forgiveness of sins, having Godly sorrow, and sancifying and purifying yourself - in essence - having a change of heart. Meditation is like prayer without this most powerful element of prayer. It's a type of prayer that is only concerned with feeling God's love for you (which he does--for everyone) and denying feelings of guilt and wrongdoing (guilt and shame are powerful tools of the devil). So it's like they only get one part of the equation right, feeling the love in the Light of Christ, without ever humbling themselves and having a change of heart. I know because I used to try this when I was living a life of sin--it works very well. You find a secret place to meditate and ponder on how you are loved, and that was the extent of the prayer, no discussion about changing oneself or repentance. Thus, I basked in the Light of Christ, but lost the Holy Ghost. Whatever I felt was as fleeting as my prayer.

kathyn
captain of 1,000

Post by kathyn »

pjbrownie, you've stated it so well....the difference between prayer and meditation is great. Some like to think of meditation as a higher form of prayer but really, it's a counterfeit for the very reasons you stated.

We need the Holy Ghost to help prevent us from being deceived by the Adversary and buying into all of touchy-feely ideas that we can bring out the god in ourselves and become one with the universe. We need Heavenly Father's help now more than ever. Instead, many are turning to the god in themselves and buying into the ideas of the 'ascended masters' for their wisdom.

Rosabella
captain of 1,000

Post by Rosabella »

pjbrownie

Beautiful and brilliant description! What great understanding you gained from your experiences with prayer and new age meditation. There is an important difference and you explained it perfectly!

New age meditation is merely receiving the love of God without desiring repentance or the guidance of the Holy Spirit. It is the essence of the Telestial kingdom. Using this form of "meditation" instead of prayer locks you into a telestial state of being. Instead of enlightening you, as they say it does, it is damning to your soul. It is the state of "I am God" and experiencing the Love of the universe and love of self that meditation brings. Instead of "Thy will not mine" it is all about YOU. It is not about looking to Father for His will. It is about YOU taking yourself to a state of peace without Father or the Atonement of Christ. It is all about your will not Father's.

We do not learn things on our own by going within ourselves to gain higher knowledge. Some have described this as going into ourselves to view the light of Christ. This is not a correct understanding of the light of Christ. The Light of Christ is not a source of revelation; it is what give us a conscience of what is right and wrong in behavior. It does not reveal doctrinal truths. The Holy Ghost is the agent of revelation. To gain true revelation from God we must be in tune with the Holy Ghost and be living worthy of the inspiration of God. We must also be in a state of complete humility and submission to Father's will.

When we try to gain truths without turning to God for His wisdom, we are looking to OUR WILL, not Father’s will. We then are doing as Lucifer did and does. We are not going to Father for guidance; we are merely looking at ourselves as divine beings that hold knowledge and wisdom independent of Father. Lucifer thought the same way. He looked inside himself for the best ideas and came up with a plan for man’s mortal journey. He now is teaching man to do the same. Yet there is a difference. Lucifer tells you to look inside yourself for knowledge, but in truth he is the one that reveals it to you. That is his great lie. There is no “my own” will. We are either following Father or Lucifer. The reality is that there is no point in our mortality where we no longer need Father’s direction. It is true that we need not be compelled in all things, since he has revealed so much truth to us that we can and should freely choose works of righteousness following the example He has already given us. But when it comes to understanding deeper mysteries, those must come from Father, or we are getting them from Lucifer. That is why if we follow Lucifer’s path we are taken in chains to hell with him. Lucifer deceives us into thinking that he offers freedom and independence while in reality only the Lord can give those things. Lucifer is putting us in bondage and stopping our progression, for when you stop looking to Father for all your understanding and direction and turn to yourself you are now damned and under Lucifer’s control.

We are told to have a constant prayer in our hearts and to be in tune with the Spirit and to use Him as a guide in all things that we do. We are not told to do things on our own. “Counsel with the Lord in all thy doings, and He will direct thee for good; yea, when thou liest down at night lie down unto the Lord, that He may watch over you in your sleep; and when thou risest in the morning let thy heart be full of thanks unto God; and if ye do these things, ye shall be lifted up at the last day.” (Alma 37:37) We can go about and do much good by following what has been commanded of us to do, but we do greater work if we follow the promptings of the Spirit to do that which the Lord wants us to do. This is not being compelled to do things it is merely seeking to do the Lord will. An example is this. We know we are to love our neighbors as ourselves. So if we see a person in need, we help them and do it of our free will without being compelled to do so. Yet what if there is someone in need that it is not apparent. If we ask the Lord “how can I serve you today? What is it that I can do to be an instrument in your hands to assist another or help you build your kingdom?” Then the Lord can then inspire us to do something we are completely intellectually unaware of. You can get the impression to call someone or to go somewhere with no knowledge of how you will be used, just that your assistance is needed and you are being guided by the Spirit as you go about your Fathers work. As you do this you are to have a continual pray in your heart and inquire of the Lord how it is you can best help. You ask for the right words, understanding to do what it is He is asking you to do. In doing this you have now given Father your will and submitted your life to him to be used for His will. You then are truly an Angel on this earth doing the works of the Lord as He asks you to be.

When we turn to meditation and not true prayer we are no longer guided by Father but are given guidance by Lucifer. Many have found inspiration to do things or have come up with ideas but the guidance does not come from Father. In this manner many books have been written that teach against Father and teach false light. Lucifer is the great deceiver and can appear as an angel of light. We live in a day where Lucifer’s ways are the most common way of thought in the world. We are commanded to be not of the world and not to be one with the world. Meditation is about becoming one with the world and finding divinity within ourselves.

Rock34
captain of 100

Post by Rock34 »

kathyn wrote:pjbrownie, you've stated it so well....the difference between prayer and meditation is great. Some like to think of meditation as a higher form of prayer but really, it's a counterfeit for the very reasons you stated.

We need the Holy Ghost to help prevent us from being deceived by the Adversary and buying into all of touchy-feely ideas that we can bring out the god in ourselves and become one with the universe. We need Heavenly Father's help now more than ever. Instead, many are turning to the god in themselves and buying into the ideas of the 'ascended masters' for their wisdom.
What is so wrong with thinking man can reach within to find God? Is not his "code" within us? I believe there is something similar to DNA in spirit bodies, so we could very well find a mini embriotic god within us. There is no falsehood in this, only in the misled idea that we can just abandon the Gospel and the Atonement and do it all on our own.

kathyn
captain of 1,000

Post by kathyn »

Rock34:

Me thinketh thou protesteth too much. Why are you so determined to defend the occult, trying to make it fit in with the Gospel? Seriously, when people think of Astral Projection and We are God and God is in us all, they don't think of the Gospel and the Atonement and Jesus Christ. I sense that you are trying to ferret out the truth in the false teachings. Well, of course Satan will mix some truth in with his teachings. That's a good way to deceive "even the elect", don't you think?

I am telling you, most LDS who try this stuff will be drawn to the Occult. Why even dip your toe in poison?