Who wants polygamy back?

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.

Would you welcome the return of polygamy?

Yes.
24%
No.
40%
Maybe.
22%
Yuck!
13%

Total votes: 67
A Random Phrase
Follower of Christ
Location: Staring at my computer, not sure whether to laugh or cry.

Re: Who wants polygamy back?

Post by A Random Phrase »

Fiannan wrote:No evidence that Adam and Noah did not have multiple wives.
Adam was enticed out of the garden in Eden by being told he would be alone if Eve left. To me, that is perfect evidence that there was only Adam and Eve. Plus, God married Adam and Eve, not Adam and Eve and Evelyn and Sally and that lady that fables say was his wife before Eve (Judith? Lilith?). Adam called his wife's name Eve because she was the mother of ALL living. She was it. No other.

Noah. Only 8 people were in the ark, according to the Bible. Only one wife was mentioned for Noah. I think Noah would have to be a sicko to marry one of his grandchildren or great-grandchildren.
Fiannan wrote:People can point to Jacob being tricked at first but how does that explain the other two women he married? Did his father in law have the ultimate sense of humor, "Hey watch how stupid Jacob is. I keep tricking him over and over again. Soon he will be married to all the young girls in the tribe."
The wife-wars. I don't know why Jacob didn't say no. I was taught (probably in institute) that polygyny was common in that society. All I really know is that God had no say in the marriages. The first wife was a deception. Jacob thought he had married someone else. The second wife was who he really wanted, but he'd already had relations with Leah so he had to keep her. Then the wives threw their handmaids at him. Even if he was totally willing, there is nothing in the Bible that says God commanded it, or even wanted it.

If ever there was a dysfunctional family, it was Jacob's. The sons were incredibly creepy. To me, that bears witness that something was not right.

A Random Phrase
Follower of Christ

Fiannan wrote:Isaac took two additional wives. No tricks involved.
I know of no record (except the altered D&C 132) that says Isaac had more than one wife.

jwharton
captain of 1,000

Post by jwharton »

Melissa wrote:
jwharton wrote:
Mormon Suicide wrote:This is what I call the Polygamy Paradox:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJYwiM6qECY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Interesting point about the LGBT including the "B" for bi-sexual people.
If they get their marriage rights then this would necessitate polygamy.

The bi-sexual woman would need both a man and a woman marriage partner.
The bi-sexual husband would also need both a man and a woman marriage partner.
So, a truly bi-sexual marriage would require at least 4 people in the marriage.

Of course, that isn't anywhere near what early Mormon polygamy entailed, but it certainly would encompass it and allow it by law.
Bi sexual means that you can have a relationship with both genders. Doesnt mean you need them both at the same time.
I wasn't trying to suggest how they conducted themselves when engaged in their sexual activities....

Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fiannan »

A Random Phrase wrote:
I know of no record (except the altered D&C 132) that says Isaac had more than one wife.
Opps, I meant to say Jakob.

Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fiannan »

Noah. Only 8 people were in the ark, according to the Bible. Only one wife was mentioned for Noah. I think Noah would have to be a sicko to marry one of his grandchildren or great-grandchildren.
If we go by the Bible completely literally then Adam only had sons. So maybe in those days brothers could make babies together? Then of course Cain found a wife somewhere...where did she come from? So can you absolutely, positively say only 8 people were on the ark? The Muslims place the figure between 70 and 100 survivors.

Melissa
captain of 1,000

Post by Melissa »

jwharton wrote:
Melissa wrote:
jwharton wrote:
Mormon Suicide wrote:This is what I call the Polygamy Paradox:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJYwiM6qECY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Interesting point about the LGBT including the "B" for bi-sexual people.
If they get their marriage rights then this would necessitate polygamy.

The bi-sexual woman would need both a man and a woman marriage partner.
The bi-sexual husband would also need both a man and a woman marriage partner.
So, a truly bi-sexual marriage would require at least 4 people in the marriage.

Of course, that isn't anywhere near what early Mormon polygamy entailed, but it certainly would encompass it and allow it by law.
Bi sexual means that you can have a relationship with both genders. Doesnt mean you need them both at the same time.
I wasn't trying to suggest how they conducted themselves when engaged in their sexual activities....
Okay...you said a bi sexual person would need both a male and a female marriage partner and that a true bi sexual marriage would require 4 people. All I said was that was an incorrect statement. A bi sexual doesnt require to have both, it just means that they can go either way. Dont REQUIRE it. I wasnt referencing their behaviors in their sexual activities, just the marriage arrangement you mentioned.

Melissa
captain of 1,000

Post by Melissa »

Fiannan wrote:
If we go by the Bible completely literally then Adam only had sons. So maybe in those days brothers could make babies together? Then of course Cain found a wife somewhere...where did she come from? So can you absolutely, positively say only 8 people were on the ark? The Muslims place the figure between 70 and 100 survivors.
Why do we look way way back to a different time and different world to find evidence that God accepted polygamy? God accepted a whole lot of crap back then that we are not trying to justify today.

Seriously...adding wives is a form of vanity and pride.

The camel through the eye of a needle analogy just might work for a man who lives polygamy.

A Random Phrase
Follower of Christ

Fiannan wrote:
A Random Phrase wrote:
Opps, I meant to say Jakob.
Okay. That makes sense.

A Random Phrase
Follower of Christ

Fiannan wrote:If we go by the Bible completely literally then Adam only had sons. So maybe in those days brothers could make babies together? Then of course Cain found a wife somewhere...where did she come from? So can you absolutely, positively say only 8 people were on the ark? The Muslims place the figure between 70 and 100 survivors.
Personally, I think the Pearl of Great Price is scripture, and more to be believed than the Old Testament. Notice that Adam and Eve had a lot of children before Cain. He had a lot of siblings who were already married and had their own children before he was even conceived.
Moses 5
1 AND it came to pass that after I, the Lord God, had driven them out, that Adam began to till the earth, and to have dominion over all the beasts of the field, and to eat his bread by the sweat of his brow, as I the Lord had commanded him. And Eve, also, his wife, did labor with him.

2 And Adam knew his wife, and she bare unto him sons and daughters, and they began to multiply and to replenish the earth.

3 And from that time forth, the sons and daughters of Adam began to divide two and two in the land, and to till the land, and to tend flocks, and they also begat sons and daughters.

11 And Eve, his wife, heard all these things and was glad, saying: Were it not for our transgression we never should have had seed, and never should have known good and evil, and the joy of our redemption, and the eternal life which God giveth unto all the obedient.

12 And Adam and Eve blessed the name of God, and they made all things known unto their sons and their daughters.

13 And Satan came among them, saying: I am also a son of God; and he commanded them, saying: Believe it not; and they believed it not, and they loved Satan more than God. And men began from that time forth to be carnal, sensual, and devilish.

14 And the Lord God called upon men by the Holy Ghost everywhere and commanded them that they should repent;

15 And as many as believed in the Son, and repented of their sins, should be saved; and as many as believed not and repented not, should be damned; and the words went forth out of the mouth of God in a firm decree; wherefore they must be fulfilled.

16 And Adam and Eve, his wife, ceased not to call upon God. And Adam knew Eve his wife, and she conceived and bare Cain, and said: I have gotten a man from the Lord; wherefore he may not reject his words. But behold, Cain hearkened not, saying: Who is the Lord that I should know him?

17 And she again conceived and bare his brother Abel.

iWriteStuff
blithering blabbermouth

Post by iWriteStuff »

Melissa wrote:

The camel through the eye of a needle analogy just might work for a man who lives polygamy.
I can see why you would think that... but honestly, having even ONE wife is a lot of work (similar to having a husband, only that's a bit more like adult childcare, I imagine...). Multiple wives just sounds kind of exhausting to me. Just imagine all the "Honey Do" lists! Not to mention the overtime I'd have to work in order to provide for more than one...

Seriously, you might think having more than one wife is a reward. Others might consider it differently. :-s

jwharton
captain of 1,000

Post by jwharton »

iWriteStuff wrote:
Melissa wrote:

I can see why you would think that... but honestly, having even ONE wife is a lot of work (similar to having a husband, only that's a bit more like adult childcare, I imagine...). Multiple wives just sounds kind of exhausting to me. Just imagine all the "Honey Do" lists! Not to mention the overtime I'd have to work in order to provide for more than one...

Seriously, you might think having more than one wife is a reward. Others might consider it differently. :-s
There aren't very many men capable of doing it and there aren't very many women who would need it.
The point of it being a part of things is so that those few who need it and who are capable of it can do it.
It is a serious problem if our society criminalizes it when it is the only way an important problem can be solved.
I've already addressed the nature of that problem so I won't repeat it again here.

Col. Flagg
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Col. Flagg »

No matter how you slice it, the polygamy issue is a huge stain on our history and the muddied water isn't going to get clearer anytime soon, even with the release of the essays on lds.org.

jwharton
captain of 1,000

Post by jwharton »

Col. Flagg wrote:No matter how you slice it, the polygamy issue is a huge stain on our history and the muddied water isn't going to get clearer anytime soon, even with the release of the essays on lds.org.
It would be super easy to clear up if people would just look at it from the perspective of eternal families and the patriarchal order.
What makes the waters get muddy is all of the various ways and means people corrupt it for aberrant objectives God never intended.

jwharton
captain of 1,000

Post by jwharton »

I'll give an example that relates to a situation I am observing right now first-hand.
I have a very good friend from my younger days who was never a girlfriend but someone I really enjoyed hanging out with.
She was someone who I really enjoyed to be around because she was never pushy and she thought my jokes were funny, etc.
I moved away and our friendship wasn't the kind that was continued so we just fell out of touch completely.
But, at a high school class reunion some years ago we really enjoyed reconnecting and reminiscing all of the old fun times we shared together as kids.
Even though our contact had been totally absent, our friendship and mutual respect has not diminished at all.
I recently learned that she had to divorce her husband who had become overly controlling and seriously neglectful of her needs.
He doesn't involve himself in the ongoing support of the children both spiritually, emotionally or financially.
She is on her own and doing the best she can do.
There are few LDS people where she lives and zero prospects for remarriage to a temple worthy LDS man.
Both my wife and I really feel for her difficult circumstances and wish there was more we could do.
But, because of the laws of the land and the current policy of the church, there is little we can do.
I can tell you this though, my wife is of the quality of soul that she would want me to pursue her if it was permissible.
My wife is the kind of woman who wants people to be happy and fulfilled and she isn't jealous about it.
And, I have the financial means that I could provide for both households so there is no reason not to contemplate it...
other than the world's condemnation heaped upon those who would even consider doing such a thing.

The world has done a very good job of instilling the mindset that she should just tough it out on her own. That is what she is determined to do. But, when she goes to church she feels very judged and put down and like she no longer has a place as a single mom. Instead of feeling supported and edified she feels inferior and lacking because her eternal family is broken, but she also feels powerless to fix it at the same time. She has been inactive from church for several years now and had a non-member boyfriend in order to fill the void but that relationship didn't work out and now she is probably feeling less inclined to come back to church than before. She is having her share of the widow's misery that had those widows so desperately hungry for attention that Bishop Monson often illustrates. They were so desperate for a trinket of his attention not because he was so wonderful but because they were so miserable. But, most of them are too proud to admit that they spend every day feeling lonely.

Now, I can understand older widows who have already had a full life and raised their children being okay getting by on trinkets of attention from ecclesiastical administration via home teaching and such, but what about young widows still raising children and who also may wish to have more children?

So, what would be so repulsive about my wife and I receiving another wife such as the friend I described into our eternal family?

I doubt it would ever happen because it is the furthest thing from my friend's mind and it would be instant excommunication anyway.
But, should it be? Should she just go on in her life left to the lonely and desperate and disrespected lot she is making the best of?

Melissa
captain of 1,000

Post by Melissa »

iWriteStuff wrote:
Melissa wrote:

Im not sure that I have really thought about polygamy as a reward...doing so would give it some authority as a truth- I guess. And I dont think polygamy is true.

There are many who do refer to it as a reward though. I personally agree that more wives equalls more responsibility and burden on a man that I dont think any man can handle as well as a man with one wife.

Sarah
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Sarah »

Maybe relating it to motherhood would put at least part of it in perspective. What do we see today, but mothers coming up to someone like me aghast that I would have FIVE children. I can't tell you how many times I've heard something like "one is enough for me."

Family relationships are the reward in heaven, but here on earth, they are HARD. I can see how multiple wives would feel like a blessing to a man in the same way many children can be seen as a blessing to parents, just more sacrifice and work in this life. I hope I'm not spending an eternity changing dirty diapers and cleaning day in and day out the messes my children create, but I think that is why mortal life is a test. It really is a test to see if we will sacrifice everything. And women have their own unique opportunities to sacrifice. With great sacrifice comes great rewards though.

Kingdom of ZION
captain of 1,000

Post by Kingdom of ZION »

Sarah wrote:Family relationships are the reward in heaven, ... but I think that is why mortal life is a test. It really is a test to see if we will sacrifice everything. And women have their own unique opportunities to sacrifice. With great sacrifice comes great rewards though.
Aman Sarah!

From what I have personally received by revelation, the path of Eternal Progression leads through 7 creations to stand in all the required offices.

For Women, the shedding of blood monthly for the sin of this generation, the shedding of blood in child birth for their posterity, and they at times having their blood shed for their kingdom to come is required. A women will have the opportunity to bear up to 100 children in these creations.

For Men, they have to cry repentance and fulfill missions to remove the blood and sins of this generation from their skirts, they have to also fulfill the Mission for which they were sent (after the first 2 creations), and in their 6th creation, they must become a Holy Anointed, an Only Begotten Son of the Father, a Messiah and Savior of a world. It is said that they being a translated being and to then be totally bleed out, making the Blood Atonement for all mankind, that their pain and suffering is liken unto having 100 children all at once.

It takes us men much longer to mature to the point where we can step up and bear it, where as women come to it almost naturally willing from the very first. G_d is no respecter of persons, male or female! Equal sacrifices are required for equal reward.

Are some men prepared to shoulder this Eternal Sacrifice, and hence received the required revelation that they are worthy and are thereafter commanded to prepare by having larger families here? I believe so. But this number is quite small naturally, and for good reason!

Are all women prepared to begin building their kingdom before the man has proven worthy? No! Only a tithe of a tithe of those who have entered what is equal to a man's 5th creation.

Shalom

Joel
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Joel »

Published on Aug 2, 2015
I felt it was finally time to update the "Dramatized Church History" series to better use modern media to reflect historic emotional realities.

Sarah
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Sarah »

Kingdom of ZION wrote:
Sarah wrote:Family relationships are the reward in heaven, ... but I think that is why mortal life is a test. It really is a test to see if we will sacrifice everything. And women have their own unique opportunities to sacrifice. With great sacrifice comes great rewards though.
Aman Sarah!

From what I have personally received by revelation, the path of Eternal Progression leads through 7 creations to stand in all the required offices.

For Women, the shedding of blood monthly for the sin of this generation, the shedding of blood in child birth for their posterity, and they at times having their blood shed for their kingdom to come is required. A women will have the opportunity to bear up to 100 children in these creations.

For Men, they have to cry repentance and fulfill missions to remove the blood and sins of this generation from their skirts, they have to also fulfill the Mission for which they were sent (after the first 2 creations), and in their 6th creation, they must become a Holy Anointed, an Only Begotten Son of the Father, a Messiah and Savior of a world. It is said that they being a translated being and to then be totally bleed out, making the Blood Atonement for all mankind, that their pain and suffering is liken unto having 100 children all at once.

It takes us men much longer to mature to the point where we can step up and bear it, where as women come to it almost naturally willing from the very first. G_d is no respecter of persons, male or female! Equal sacrifices are required for equal reward.

Are some men prepared to shoulder this Eternal Sacrifice, and hence received the required revelation that they are worthy and are thereafter commanded to prepare by having larger families here? I believe so. But this number is quite small naturally, and for good reason!

Are all women prepared to begin building their kingdom before the man has proven worthy? No! Only a tithe of a tithe of those who have entered what is equal to a man's 5th creation.

Shalom
That's certainly a different view I haven't heard before. Makes some sense to me. How did you come to believe this?

Sarah
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Sarah »

Kingdom of ZION, can you elaborate on this statement. What do you mean that only a tithe (or tenth) of a tithe will (and this is a tenth of what?) will enter (enter what) that which is equal to a man's 5th creation?

I'LLMAKEYAFAMOUS
captain of 100

Post by I'LLMAKEYAFAMOUS »

Melissa wrote:
iWriteStuff wrote:
Melissa wrote:

Im not sure that I have really thought about polygamy as a reward...doing so would give it some authority as a truth- I guess. And I dont think polygamy is true.

There are many who do refer to it as a reward though. I personally agree that more wives equalls more responsibility and burden on a man that I dont think any man can handle as well as a man with one wife.
Melissa, I don't know your level of activity in the Church, but I out of curiosity, if the Church came out and gave the ok on polygamy again, (in certain circumstances, but no one HAS to live it) how would you handle that? Would you stay a member?

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

I'm neutral on polygamy. And whether or not it ever might come back.
I would probably never want to do it (I haven't wanted to yet).
But what others do is up to them.
I know there are polygamists out there, even today.
I know a fellow in the church who says he has no problem with the church history. That he has no shame, but has pride that 4 of his great-grandfathers had 4 wives each.
On another forum a poster has a motto "Before you bash the Mormons, remember that John Moses Browning was the son of the second wife of a Mormon polygamist."
I had never thought there was any idea of sexiness or prurience to it. That it was more a thing of following the biblical commandment of going forth and multiplying, populating the earth. And of leaving progeny.
dc

Faith
captain of 10

Post by Faith »

I'LLMAKEYAFAMOUS wrote:
Melissa wrote:
iWriteStuff wrote:
Melissa wrote:

Melissa, I don't know your level of activity in the Church, but I out of curiosity, if the Church came out and gave the ok on polygamy again, (in certain circumstances, but no one HAS to live it) how would you handle that? Would you stay a member?

We still practice polygamy currently - don't we? Every day in our temples men are sealed to multiple wives. Yes, the first wife has to have passed beyond the veil into the spirit world, but men in our church are sealed to multiple women in this church today. Many of our apostles and leaders are sealed to multiple wives.

I WISH this was all just a big mistake, but there are things we just won't understand until I am once again in my heavenly home. (but my earthly mind wants to believe it was all just a big mistake and is not ever something that was of God)

I asked my stake president this question about plural marriage in the future and he agreed it would one day be brought back during the millennium. Bruce R. McConkie also states in his book "Mormon Doctrine" that "obviously" we will once again practice it during the millennium. But isn't it true that a few of his teachings were not actually fact? and that the church leaders have taken things back that he said? And as far as the references in the scriptures (which were written by Bruce R. McConkie) concerning Seven women claiming one man in these latter days after the tribulations? I don't know. The foot notes he wrote refer it to mean marriage. . ..
Will my hubby be asked to take on seven wives? Who knows?!! (I hope not. I'd rather leave him and find a man who only wants me only!! At least that's what I told him. lol)

My stake President asked me why, in all of written scripture is our Heavenly Mother not mentioned? My answer was that (besides the fact that she is protected) there are so very many heavenly mothers? and his answer was "Yes."

Now -- I can't assume that even my stake president knows the truth on this paticular matter . . . . but my best answer that I have received it this:

Heavenly Father would never leave me, or you Michelle, unhappy. He would never leave us unhappy for eternity. He will exceed our deepest, pure, and righteous desires. He will not force us to be in a position of misery for eternity if we keep pluging along and do our best to repent and live his commandments. There are things our mortal minds can not comprehend. If all we knew was a loving and righteous Father with his many holy and righteous wives - it would not be strange because it was all we ever knew. One day all truth will be revealed. One day we will see this SO clearly.

I almost lost my testimony over the subject of polygamy. I was in a very dark and dismal place that was hard to climb out of. I got to the point where I thought God must be a horrible and evil womanizing man. I was wrong. He is all that is righteous and pure and loving.

I am choosing to doubt my doubts instead of my faith on this one - and hold onto all that I do know, and do have. I trust that he will never leave me eternally unhappy. I trust that he will exceed my deepest desires and dreams of what I picture in the eternities.

Faith
captain of 10

Post by Faith »

Faith wrote:
I'LLMAKEYAFAMOUS wrote:
Melissa wrote:
iWriteStuff wrote:

We still practice polygamy currently - don't we? Every day in our temples men are sealed to multiple wives. Yes, the first wife has to have passed beyond the veil into the spirit world, but men in our church are sealed to multiple women in this church today. Many of our apostles and leaders are sealed to multiple wives.

I WISH this was all just a big mistake, but there are things we just won't understand until I am once again in my heavenly home. (but my earthly mind wants to believe it was all just a big mistake and is not ever something that was of God)

I asked my stake president this question about plural marriage in the future and he agreed it would one day be brought back during the millennium. Bruce R. McConkie also states in his book "Mormon Doctrine" that "obviously" we will once again practice it during the millennium. But isn't it true that a few of his teachings were not actually fact? and that the church leaders have taken things back that he said? And as far as the references in the scriptures (which were written by Bruce R. McConkie) concerning Seven women claiming one man in these latter days after the tribulations? I don't know. The foot notes he wrote refer it to mean marriage. . ..
Will my hubby be asked to take on seven wives? Who knows?!! (I hope not. I'd rather leave him and find a man who only wants me only!! At least that's what I told him. lol)

My stake President asked me why, in all of written scripture is our Heavenly Mother not mentioned? My answer was that (besides the fact that she is protected) there are so very many heavenly mothers? and his answer was "Yes."

Now -- I can't assume that even my stake president knows the truth on this paticular matter . . . . but my best answer that I have received it this:

Heavenly Father would never leave me, or you Michelle, unhappy. He would never leave us unhappy for eternity. He will exceed our deepest, pure, and righteous desires. He will not force us to be in a position of misery for eternity if we keep pluging along and do our best to repent and live his commandments. There are things our mortal minds can not comprehend. If all we knew was a loving and righteous Father with his many holy and righteous wives - it would not be strange because it was all we ever knew. One day all truth will be revealed. One day we will see this SO clearly.

I almost lost my testimony over the subject of polygamy. I was in a very dark and dismal place that was hard to climb out of. I got to the point where I thought God must be a horrible and evil womanizing man. I was wrong. He is all that is righteous and pure and loving.

I am choosing to doubt my doubts instead of my faith on this one - and hold onto all that I do know, and do have. I trust that he will never leave me eternally unhappy. I trust that he will exceed my deepest desires and dreams of what I picture in the eternities.

I must say though . . . . THere is a man in my ward who shared a personal story of his mother or grandmother ( I forget which.)

Her first love and eternal hubby was killed shortly after they were married. Their love was beautiful- but cut very short.
She later married her second love, and lived her mortal life with him, had children and grandchildren with him, and lived a wonderful life together.

She was approached by a couple of the brothern in authority in the chruch, and asked if she would like to be sealed to this (second) man who she loved just as much as the first . . . . which would finally seal them for eternity and also their children and grandchildren. And she was!!

I had never heard of a woman sealed to two men . . . but it happens! We will one day truly understand it all and how it works, and all the whys and it will all make sense.

jwharton
captain of 1,000

Post by jwharton »

Faith wrote:I must say though . . . . THere is a man in my ward who shared a personal story of his mother or grandmother ( I forget which.)

Her first love and eternal hubby was killed shortly after they were married. Their love was beautiful- but cut very short.
She later married her second love, and lived her mortal life with him, had children and grandchildren with him, and lived a wonderful life together.

She was approached by a couple of the brothern in authority in the chruch, and asked if she would like to be sealed to this (second) man who she loved just as much as the first . . . . which would finally seal them for eternity and also their children and grandchildren. And she was!!

I had never heard of a woman sealed to two men . . . but it happens! We will one day truly understand it all and how it works, and all the whys and it will all make sense.
I've never heard of this happening before and this is indeed an extreme situation.
And yet another serious problem deferred to the world to come due to the lack of plural marriage here and now.
That second man she married should have been able to marry a wife to whom he could be sealed and have an eternal posterity.
There would have been no shame in him being the kinsman redeemer to the deceased man and give him eternal posterity as well.
That wife could have had all of her needs met and she could have remained chaste to her deceased husband except for child-rearing.
This would have gone a long ways to keep things less confusing and entangled where the eternal families are concerned.
This is why plural marriage is an essential tenet where young widows are concerned.