It's now time to legalize Polygamy

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
SuHwak
captain of 50

It's now time to legalize Polygamy

Post by SuHwak »

Inter-Racial marriages legalized: Check
Same-Sex Marriages legalized: Check
Polygamous Marriages legalized: Pending

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/ ... 19469.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Its now time to legalize Polygamy

Post by Fiannan »

It is interesting that inter-racial marriages were illegal in Utah until the 1960s.

As for polygamy, it will be legalized, Justice Roberts left that dor wide open in is dissenting opinion.

marktheshark
captain of 100

Post by marktheshark »

Ya, and one more way to bring the Lord's wrath against us, not hearkening unto His counsel and seeking to counsel ourselves in these matters after the manner of men and the devil.

Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fiannan »

marktheshark wrote:Ya, and one more way to bring the Lord's wrath against us, not hearkening unto His counsel and seeking to counsel ourselves in these matters after the manner of men and the devil.
Is polygamy of the Devil?

Col. Flagg
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Col. Flagg »

Fiannan wrote:
marktheshark wrote:Ya, and one more way to bring the Lord's wrath against us, not hearkening unto His counsel and seeking to counsel ourselves in these matters after the manner of men and the devil.
Is monogamy of God?

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

Oh, hell, no.

marktheshark
captain of 100

Post by marktheshark »

Fiannan wrote:

If not commanded by God, yes it is.

Read Jacob Chapter 2.

Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fiannan »

marktheshark wrote:
Fiannan wrote:

If not commanded by God, yes it is.

Read Jacob Chapter 2.
Tell me, when did God command the Jews to stop practicing polygamy? Show me the scripture as they are the root of Christianity.

commonwealth
captain of 100

Post by commonwealth »

Oh good, another thread where everyone can fight about polygamy ad nauseum....

EmmaLee
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by EmmaLee »

Just because the fedgov will likely proclaim polygamy 'legal' in the near future, doesn't mean the Church will. Men who long to have more than one wife shouldn't count on the Church to give the 'go ahead' any time soon, if ever again. So even if SCOTUS (America's new law-making body, apparently) says 'yea', you'll still have to leave the Church to live that lifestyle. May as well do that now if it's what you want so badly.

Faith
captain of 10

Post by Faith »

Bruce R McConkie says in his book titled "Mormon Doctrine" that polygamy will "obviously" return during the millennium. But I don't take everything he said as doctrine. My stake President agreed with me that it would return. And also that we have many heavenly Mothers. We currently practice polygamy in the church, as one man is sealed to multiple women (after one dies.). Isiah testifies of 7 woman claiming one man after the cleansing of the wicked. The foot notes claim it means marriage. ( but didn't Bruce R. McConkie write those foot notes? Perhaps it is all we've ever known. When this veil is lifted from our minds- things that we could not begin to comprehend here on earth will not seem strange at all. But as for me and my hubby-/ we hope it never returns.

Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fiannan »

Tabula Rasa wrote:Just because the fedgov will likely proclaim polygamy 'legal' in the near future, doesn't mean the Church will. Men who long to have more than one wife shouldn't count on the Church to give the 'go ahead' any time soon, if ever again. So even if SCOTUS (America's new law-making body, apparently) says 'yea', you'll still have to leave the Church to live that lifestyle. May as well do that now if it's what you want so badly.
Then, considering the shortage of single heterosexual men who are worthy and desirable the Church better establish fertility clinics for single women wishing to have kids.

Otherwise the Church is gonna be in big trouble demographically, unless we can get some transhumanist technology in the near future to greatly expand human longevity.

PS, my wife brought this subject up as some of the sisters in RS were noting that even LDS young men are unwilling to seek marriage anymore. She too believes God will use the Supreme Court decision to restore the Gospel message of Section 132 back to the Church.

PS, even when the Church decides to re-instate polygamy, in the event a lot of American LDS men would be unwilling to engage in polygamy I am sure there are enough alpha males who would take up the slack.

EmmaLee
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by EmmaLee »

LOL, your self-aggrandizement knows no bounds, brother.

As for young men not being willing to marry, etc.. I don't know where you live or who you associate with, but where I live and the people I associate with, it's the exact opposite - the young women are the ones who want nothing to do with marriage, and especially children. Our young adult sons (who are returned missionaries, nice looking, gentlemen, good grades in college, etc.) can't even find women they want to date, let alone marry.

The young women at the church college they attend seem to fall into two categories - 1) extremely immature (doesn't matter their age or life experience, even the sister RM's are, for the most part, very immature/childish; we see this locally, too), or 2) only interested in careers and have no intention of staying home to raise their kids, IF they decide they want kids at some much later date. The young women in the stake we live in are the very same way. I can literally count on one hand the number of young women our family knows who WANT to get married, have kids, and raise them herself (instead of dumping them in daycare for someone else to raise). So I'm thinking you might just live in a parallel universe or something. :-?

Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fiannan »

Tabula Rasa, I am fully aware of the fact that many LDS young women are shallow princesses -- then again, many American women are no deeper than they are. They are the product of superficial media and simple Gospel lessons, with little input from parents to be any different.

However, the ones who are not that way, who look to the Gospel and cringe when they get invited to a young single adult activity, are the ones who I feel would benefit from polygamy. The superficial males and females are basically filler...what we need are leaders in intellect and spirituality. Polygamy would serve as a form of spiritual eugenics, as Brigham Young noted.

rewcox
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by rewcox »

This should increase the mincing and twinkling!

EmmaLee
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by EmmaLee »

That's ^ pretty much all we see in our ward and our boys at college.

PuppyMama
captain of 100

Post by PuppyMama »

Of course polygamy will be legalized. Satan is working hard to destroy families. Thankfully we know that in the end, he will not win.

AI2.0
captain of 1,000

Post by AI2.0 »

Really. Does anyone really think that the LDS church, one of the last institutions to stand up for and champion the concept of marriage between one man and one woman, is going to put the last nail in the coffin of 'traditional' marriage by bringing back polygamy??????

Anyone who believes that does not have a clue what this church is about. Maybe spending a little time reading the ensign, church manuals and listening to current conference talks will get them up to speed on what kind of men and women run this church--certainly not those who would ever bring back polygamy and join society's slouching towards Gomorrah.

We will not be practicing polygamy in the mainstream LDS church. The supreme court may legalize it in a couple of years, but it won't matter and any LDS who practice it will be excommunicated. And it doesn't take a crystal ball to know it will spawn a few more break off sects of those who want to practice it.

The winnowing of the tares from the wheat will continue.

Now, that doesn't mean I believe polygamy is not an eternal principle and condition for some couples or that it might not be practiced during the millenium--but NOT before.

nvr
captain of 1,000

Post by nvr »

Almost correct. Except it will never come back, even in the millennium.
From President Hinckley:
...[polygamy] is not doctrinal

Desert Roses
captain of 1,000

Post by Desert Roses »

nvr wrote:Almost correct. Except it will never come back, even in the millennium.
From President Hinckley:
Citation, please. (in context).

Col. Flagg
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Col. Flagg »

Desert Roses wrote:
nvr wrote:Almost correct. Except it will never come back, even in the millennium.
From President Hinckley:
Citation, please. (in context).
14:38 mark...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAsNMWwRXvs

Nebguy
captain of 50

Post by Nebguy »

Nonsense. I can't see the Church ever accepting polygamy again. As was said, maybe in the celestial realm (in certain circumstances), but not here and now.

Ezra
captain of 1,000

Post by Ezra »

:((
Nebguy wrote:Nonsense. I can't see the Church ever accepting polygamy again. As was said, maybe in the celestial realm (in certain circumstances), but not here and now.

They will if God commands it. And if it's his will he will do just that.

If the law of the land once again is able to have polygamy and God commands it.

How many members who call themselfs gods people will fall away?

Gods will command what he will. Be prepaired by having a close relationship with the sprit so you don't miss out and turn your back on God because of your own precepts.

PuppyMama
captain of 100

Post by PuppyMama »

Oh for crying out loud.

Ezra
captain of 1,000

Post by Ezra »

PuppyMama wrote:Oh for crying out loud.
Are you God? Then listen.