Let's unite to buy this house, give to family in need

For discussion related to emergency preparedness, survival, self-sufficiency, food and water storage, guns, heat, light, building, gardening, etc.
Robert Sinclair
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Let's unite to buy this house, give to family in need

Post by Robert Sinclair »

Are there any more houses available in that price range or our their vacant homes that the owners would donate a portion to where it could be?

Because that is a wonderful price to get families into a home of their own free of debt. ♡ :)

BroJones
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by BroJones »

Yes, and I'll let you know about this soon enough... still a few details to work out on that.

Thanks everyone for participating! and note the deadline tomorrow if you would...

BroJones
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by BroJones »

Working together, we have just reached (and passed) the $10K mark and are up to $10,069! Hurray! Please make final contributions to this family today, if you will.

I look it as providing a STEWARDSHIP to this family, a model we have based on Zion concepts of consecration (in this case donations) and stewardship (deeded property from that consecrated pool).

You do understand that the model for Zion established by the Lord through the Prophet Joseph involved DEEDED property, given as a stewardship, don't you?

Thus a step along the path to Zion ... I feel good about it and hope you do, too!

Thanks again,
Steve

Robert Sinclair
Level 34 Illuminated

How wonderful is this that you have done, and how fitting that it begins in the area of the lands of Adam-ondi-Ahman. Nothing would manifest this wisdom of the Father more now than for this family to having been given a talent, in time being able to and willing to labor to help others with the same again and again until all have sufficient for their wants and needs as the fullness of the gospel of Jesus Christ has commanded.

Bless you brother Jones, and all those who have labored with you to see this happen.

It will be a light unto others who as yet sit in darkness of the goodness and intelligence and understanding of God. ♡ :)

Zion can and will be redeemed with such efforts of righteousness and equity and justice and goodness. ♡ :)

So it is written in the Scriptures written of the "One Stick" given unto Ephraim and his invited guests in what is known as the Stick of Ephraim or Doctrine and Covenants section 105 that Zion could be redeemed by "experience" and "the people knowing more perfectly the things that the Lord requires at their hands" of them imparting according to the celestial law of covenants and deeds that cannot be broken into the hands of the poor Saints, of inheritances of stewardships, sufficient for the support of their families. ♡ :)

May the season be coming to a close of waiting, and that the wait is over, Zion may now begin to be redeemed. ♡ :)

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

That is so awesome! :)

BroJones
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by BroJones »

So THEY closed on the house today! I didn't sign any of the papers since its not in my name; we had enough donations guys - thank you!!! -- and I simply brought donations in the form of a cashiers' check to pay the cost of the house.

The first crew went over to clean at 2pm. We filled the back of Bro. Wall's pick-up truck with carpet padding, an old sink, a box full of boards, broken glass, etc. My son helped. Three of us got'er done in less than 40 minutes!

The next crew comes in at 4pm to sweep and pick up and do some further cleaning.

Brother Wall buys and sells houses and said that this one is worth a LOT more than $9K! He missed it {grin}. I thought that was a pretty good endorsement for the house. AND he fully supports what we are doing.

(Bro Wall is a counselor in the branch presidency.)

Donations are still very much welcomed to do some repairs (e.g. plumbing/water heater) help this family make the BIG MOVE from Oregon all the way to Missouri.

FoxMammaWisdom
The Heretic

Post by FoxMammaWisdom »

BroJones, I do think this was a wonderful thing you did here - despite the judgment and criticism you are receiving. Thank you for listening to the Lord through prophets like King Benjamin and helping this family - and inspiring others to do likewise. I KNOW what it's like to be in need and have no other resources, and have everyone criticize your situation as if you are doing something wrong - and as if those who are helping you are doing something wrong. :ymhug:

shadow
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by shadow »

Thanks for the example of faith, Doc!

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

Awesome news, Bro. Jones!

BroJones
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by BroJones »

Thanks to all of you!

We stand at $10,271 with 9 hours left to go at YouCaring.com (see link below). And there may be some more funds coming in via checks in the mail or direct deposit (see info below), which will be credited also.

Now, Lezlee and I are going to the KC Temple today then we have Stake mtgs associated with Stk Conference, so I'll be gone all day...

So, pls do what you can in the finale of this wonderful service "Approaching Zion" I think so!

Thanks again,
Steve

BroJones
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by BroJones »

A quick update, as I'm visiting my DD and her family (SIX grand-kids!)

Our recipient emails -
I thought I would share a miracle (and one in the making) this Thanksgiving, and my gratitude to all who have donated to our home and to God most of all (words simply can not express). My husband did a job and earned enough to get his truck back - it's been at the repair man's since March because we didn't have the money to pay for the repairs (which ended up being much more than expected).
She's thrilled with the house we bought for her and family.

WE DID IT! Thanks to you all!

Robert Sinclair
Level 34 Illuminated

Wonderful, surely you are laying the foundation of Zion in these latter days brother Steven Jones, you find another family and another home and let us all know and I am sure others as I will be glad to help again. ♡ :)

Robert Sinclair
Level 34 Illuminated

And who knows, maybe word will get to the membership of The Council on the Disposition of Tithes and they might just give ear and decide to help as well in these things.

Great blessings are in store for all of us then! ♡ :)

M249Gunner
captain of 100

Post by M249Gunner »

Wow. Amazing. Good job Doc.

BroJones
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by BroJones »

Hi, everyone - quick update.

The family is tentatively planning to move in January - BUT I urged them to make sure they have good heating before making the big move.

Good news is that the water lines were evidently cut in order to be drained, rather than vandalism. Bro. Gillespie inspected - and repaired them. The plumbing does appear to be winterized. Also, he said the water heater appears OK - won't know for sure until we first fill it with water and turn the gas and electricity on (for thermostat) and test it out.

He looked closely at the two furnaces. Big surprise -- they are both ELECTRIC furnaces... with blowers to produce forced-air heating, but with electricity - yikes! Electricity is expensive around here, roughly 12c /kW-hour, depending on how much you use.

That's the bad news... Now, I asked at our High Priests group mtg - people were anxious to help out.

Option 1: Bro Gillespie suggested these be replaced with natural gas furnaces; there is gas and the water heater is gas. He thinks he can get them wholesale, perhaps $900 for the big one for the basement, to heat the main floor (and basement). May not need a second one upstairs, if for sleeping and they don't mind cooler for sleeping... I think that's the best idea... but there are other options raised:

2. Wood-burning stove(s). Quite a few of them in the area. Wood is plentiful, cheap.

3. High-eff ventless gas heaters -- these let the CO2 and water vapor go into the rooms being heated. Bro Newey has apartments in town, and he installed these. Downside, renters use de-humidifiers even in the winter! About $300 each, for big house, need at least two for the downstairs, probably three -- might as well get a high-eff gas furnace.

4. More exotic, and higher cost-up-front: solar, or heat-exchange heating (and cooling).

We should discuss. Y'all need heat if you come here in winter time!

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

I say ask the family what they want and then let's work on raising the money to get it, if necessary.

I personally would opt for the wood-burning stove plus installing a natural gas furnace but it should be up to them. They might not want to smell like campfire all the time in the winter.

Robert Sinclair
Level 34 Illuminated

This is the kind of work that all the High Priests of the church need to do for the redemption of Zion upon this earth.

Wonderful example brother Steven Jones. ♡ :)

Robert Sinclair
Level 34 Illuminated

Checked http://www.zillow.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for houses in your area off the Internet and noticed a 1,639 sq ft 3 bedroom 1.5 bath house built in 1900 for $22,500.00 on 705 N. Hundley St. It costs more than that just to pull all the permits and system development charges to build a home here in Redmond Oregon. That's just to get started.

That's quite a deal if the house could be fixed up using the fha203k loan program needing only 1.5 % down like we used on our 1911 old lava rock farm house here in Redmond.

If there's a bunch around there and employment one can find at those prices that's not a bad price to get a family into a home with help fixing things up.

Quite a lot of house for what it would cost to build a new one. ♡ :)

Builders charge about $100.00 per sq ft to build a home in this area because of fees ect.

Hope The Council of the Disposition of Tithes finds out about your work and decide to help with future projects you may find. ♡ :)

Could turn the corner on what was said in section 105 of the D&C about having experience imparting to the poor and needy Saints among us as is required by the celestial law.

Things always start with one and then another and another and so forth.

It would be good to see this in my lifetime before I go the way of all the earth, being implemented by the church.

It really just throws away money when rents are paid and not one penny of equity is earned.

I am not sure how much money in total is paid out in rents every year by the church but if it was put into the pockets of the poor Saints by giving them covenants and deeds instead of rental monies the church as a whole would financially be strengthend year after year after year.

Rentals earn not one single penny of equity even after faithfully paying of rent 30-50 years or even forever.

I see great wisdom and understanding and intelligence in the commandments of God. ♡ :)
Last edited by Robert Sinclair on December 9th, 2014, 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Robert Sinclair
Level 34 Illuminated

And with the tax laws on maximum allowed to gift of around $14,500.00 per adult, with two adults in the family you could still donate up to around $29,000.00 before any tax penalties would be imposed to a family.

Anyway was just thinking about what you are doing and my hearts desire to do something similar in this area, even though at a much, much higher cost and have to figure out the tax consequences of the present tax code currently. ♡ :)

BroJones
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by BroJones »

Thanks for comments and help.

Great news! about the furnace -- we've been looking, high-eff around $1100 + plenum, 80% around $700.
BUT better - a branch member I called this am has a used high--eff taken out of an apartment (where they go around and upgrade, gov't thing I understand) = good working one, should do the job for the downstairs all of it -- for ONLY $100 !!! is all he's asking us.
That we can do! are you kidding me?

Anyway, I need to check with Oregon family, but I think its a great deal.

--Steve
PS - bro Gillespie can pick it up and install it, free (except parts needed of course).

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

Wow! Awesome news, Bro. Jones. Thanks for letting us know.

Robert Sinclair
Level 34 Illuminated

Any update of the family and of how they are doing?

Is everything alright?

Thanks for any updates. ♡ :)

LDSNZ
captain of 100

Awesome!

Post by LDSNZ »

Great stuff Dr Jones :)