China is the future.

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated

China is the future.

Post by Fiannan »

Anyone who has looked over the illuminated skyline of Beijing, who has spent time with Chinese college students...who has walked the streets of Chinese cities and experienced no fear of being mugged, or worse, will be left with the strong impression that the future belongs to China.

Spencer W. Kimball said members should learn Chinese. Most people assumed this dealt with missionary work, but might there have been a deeper meaning, a something pointing to the direction of the world?

I was talking with an American businessman at a dinner in a traditional Chinese eatery. I liked his comment that while most Americans would never work in China they will be working for someone now living in China.

The Chinese are forward-looking. They have no problem with identifying and supporting eugenics ideals, they believe in hard work and do not try to find some "ailment" to blame their shortcomings on. If they have a child who has a hard time concentrating in school they make sure the kid is given more work so they learn to concentrate, just like PE teachers used to make the weak kids do more pushups or an extra lap around the track.

My daughters have asked me to teach them Chinese. I do not know it but three of my sons can now speak at least conversational Chinese and will now start teaching my daughters. I think it is high time people forget learning French and German and start learning Chinese instead. It is a new dawn for the world and people may as well wake up to it.

Obrien
Up, up and away.

Re: China is the future.

Post by Obrien »

Spanish for laboring
Chinese for business
English for asking the bank for a loan.

Obrien
Up, up and away.

Post by Obrien »

Muerte Rosa wrote:
Obrien wrote:Spanish for laboring
Chinese for business
Spanish for good food!
+1, but there's no good mexican food in Utah. And don't tell me you have Cafe Rio.

Sirocco
Praise Me!

Post by Sirocco »

Muerte Rosa wrote:There is Some...cafe rio is not Mexican food and it's too bland. Not spicy enough.

El mats.....and roach coach's

Oooh as a Canadian I can't tolerate Mexican food :))

Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fiannan »

Chinese for business
Pretty accurate. English and Chinese will be the dominant languages for business - and eventually technology. If a Chinese person hears a non-Chinese person speaking Chinese they are quite impressed, even if that person is speaking at a lower level of skill. So that will be a great advantage to be able to communicate with your bosses as well as impress them.

mattctr
captain of 100

Post by mattctr »

I really should try harder to learn Chinese.

Sandinista
captain of 100

Post by Sandinista »

I'm not wasting my time with either Chinese or Spanish. I'm going straight to learning Adamic! :)

kgrigio
captain of 100

Post by kgrigio »

I disagree. I have been to China and work with Chinese engineers and I am so underwhelmed by their skills and abilities and my company is a Fortune 500 so we try and hire the best. The Chinese engineers and Chinese mentality is to copy, they have a hard time designing anything unique and when they show me their designs and I recommend better ways to do something I get blank stares and comments like, "this is how company xyz produces the product."

I was told by a Chinese manager (their are some good folks for sure) that the copy mentality is ingrained. In school, you get the best grades from how precisely you copy the notes from the teachers, even down to handwriting copying, and can replicate the notes or answers in tests exactly the same way the teacher does.

They are a force to be wary of for sure, but they have a long way to go to take over the world from an innovation and forward thinking standpoint in my opinion. They still rely way to heavily on corporate espionage and copying others work.

SouEu
captain of 50

Post by SouEu »

Obrien wrote:
Muerte Rosa wrote:
Chinese for business
Spanish for good food!
+1, but there's no good mexican food in Utah. And don't tell me you have Cafe Rio.
Red Iguana! Is considered one of the top ten Mexican restaurants in the country.

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

kgrigio wrote:I disagree. I have been to China and work with Chinese engineers and I am so underwhelmed by their skills and abilities and my company is a Fortune 500 so we try and hire the best. The Chinese engineers and Chinese mentality is to copy, they have a hard time designing anything unique and when they show me their designs and I recommend better ways to do something I get blank stares and comments like, "this is how company xyz produces the product."

I was told by a Chinese manager (their are some good folks for sure) that the copy mentality is ingrained. In school, you get the best grades from how precisely you copy the notes from the teachers, even down to handwriting copying, and can replicate the notes or answers in tests exactly the same way the teacher does.

They are a force to be wary of for sure, but they have a long way to go to take over the world from an innovation and forward thinking standpoint in my opinion. They still rely way to heavily on corporate espionage and copying others work.
I second this.
Learn Chinese for sharing the gospel. And maybe more.

fallspice
captain of 10

Post by fallspice »

kgrigio wrote:I disagree. I have been to China and work with Chinese engineers and I am so underwhelmed by their skills and abilities and my company is a Fortune 500 so we try and hire the best. The Chinese engineers and Chinese mentality is to copy, they have a hard time designing anything unique and when they show me their designs and I recommend better ways to do something I get blank stares and comments like, "this is how company xyz produces the product."

I third this. Although this is an extreme example, it is one my husband and I experienced and it really made me re-evaluate a lot.

We had a Chinese grad student in my program live with us for five months and her life skills and emotional maturity were that of a 12 year old. She was from a wealthy family and had gone to top boarding schools and universities, but she lacked any basic life skills (like basic cleaning or cooking) so we had to provide all of her meals for her even though she was supposed to be a roommate... . She lacked analytical and social skills to be able to function here (her English was fine). She ran away from African Americans in the city, wouldn't open our front door because she said people with guns would come and kill her, and the list keeps going... .

She lacked empathy for people and struggles they have (my sister passed while she lived with us and she threw a fit because she said I didn't entertain her that day). I was hit twice in car wrecks while she lived with us and was very injured and she would ask me every hour, on the hour, if I was over my health issues. Even though she went to highest ranking boarding schools and universities, she lacked knowledge of basic science (like plant pollination, maturation, how our bodies work), was completely pro-censorship, and was extremely pro-child policy and population control (even though her sister had to be adopted out at 11 months to avoid fines).

On a hygiene note, a month after we left, we moved the furniture around in her room and she had plastered our walls with literally hundreds of boogers. It literally took paint off of our walls in some spots :ymsick: . My husband and I have both lived with international students, mission companions, etc., and nothing could have prepared us for this. Like I said, I know this is an extreme situation and I have met other Chinese people who are awesome. However, it is really surprising at how many people have related to my experience after hosting or rooming with other nationalists. From what I have understood from talking to some of my Chinese friends, there is a huge discrepancy on how the wealthy view China and how the other people in China view things.

Also, I would really like to see where Spencer W. Kimball said members should learn Chinese. I have never heard this.

Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fiannan »

When he was general president of the Sunday School, Nelson attended a meeting where Spencer W. Kimball urged those present to learn Chinese. Nelson took up this challenge and became fluent in Mandarin.[14] He developed ties with the medical community in China and made several trips there to train surgeons. In 1985, Nelson was the first person ever made an honorary professor of Shandong Medical College.[15] In 1995, Nelson went to Beijing, along with Neal A. Maxwell and other LDS Church leaders, on an official invitation of Li Lanqing, the Vice Premier of China.[16]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russell_M._Nelson" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

fallspice
captain of 10

Post by fallspice »

Fiannan wrote:
When he was general president of the Sunday School, Nelson attended a meeting where Spencer W. Kimball urged those present to learn Chinese. Nelson took up this challenge and became fluent in Mandarin.[14] He developed ties with the medical community in China and made several trips there to train surgeons. In 1985, Nelson was the first person ever made an honorary professor of Shandong Medical College.[15] In 1995, Nelson went to Beijing, along with Neal A. Maxwell and other LDS Church leaders, on an official invitation of Li Lanqing, the Vice Premier of China.[16]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russell_M._Nelson" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks for the info, that is really interesting!

Right now, as it is, people can't be members of the Church and China and be members of the Communist party. This was a huge factor in why our international roommate did not join the church. The Communist party gets huge job perks as well as other privileges that other people do not receive.

I really hope in the future that more can happen for China in the way for the gospel, but it is going to take really small baby steps.

dtanner
captain of 100

Post by dtanner »

Fiannan wrote:Anyone who has looked over the illuminated skyline of Beijing
Fiannan,
Please edit.
Skyline in Beijing is not visible. Sometimes you can't even see the second apartment building down the street very clearly.

I agree that it is generally very safe. Way safer than any major city in the. US - can't even compare really.

I do not like however, the rate at which they're abandoning traditional values for the lure of wealth and globalization, and not comfortable with recent military posturing against neighbors.

KMCopeland
captain of 1,000

Post by KMCopeland »

Fiannan wrote:Anyone who has looked over the illuminated skyline of Beijing, who has spent time with Chinese college students...who has walked the streets of Chinese cities and experienced no fear of being mugged, or worse, will be left with the strong impression that the future belongs to China.
There is much to admire in China. But "the future belongs to them?" Maybe. I hope they do well. But I'd like to think the future belong to all of us.
Fiannan wrote:They have no problem with identifying and supporting eugenics ideals
This is a good thing?

China's sheer size means we have to pay attention. Their work ethic and education system are certainly admirable. But honestly, they've got some problems. Pollution is one. And where a few years ago we all thought they really were going to take over the world, especially economically, they've begun to falter.

China is good. We're good. I think we're going to be able to peacefully share the planet.

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

The Chinese are not developing their military might for peaceful purposes. They have certain law enforcement concepts in mind.
Which brings me to the question of why anyone believes there is no crime in China? Is is because they treat criminals kinder and gentler? Or is it because their criminal justice system is beyond Draconian?
And I do not believe "poverty" causes crime. I believe greed does it. There are millions of actual poor people in the world who would never steal anything.
China is in the early stages of industrial development. No pollution laws, no regulation. That will change over time. Yes, they imitate, bootleg, and disregard patent laws. But they will learn how to think creatively soon.
What is their population growth like? How many kids do they like to have? What churches do they attend?
Moot questions. Rhetorical questions.
Yes, they will play a major role in the future of this planet. They are growing, and will continue to do so.
dc

Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fiannan »

This is a good thing?
http://explosivereports.com/2013/03/20/ ... ed-people/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

dtanner
captain of 100

Post by dtanner »

David13 wrote:Which brings me to the question of why anyone believes there is no crime in China?
Of course there's crime, but the traditional values included an idea of brotherhood and caring for each other, along with the value of an honorable reputation, which provided a lot of safety for all. It used to be that the shame alone could deter crime.

But the younger generations are tossing those values out as fast as they can in favor of all the manifestations of 'wealth'and 'success'. Interestingly, many of the older generations are actually following suit of the younger ones and adopting the mindset.

That along with building military might, resurrecting the gory details of Japan's actions against them in WW2, and being able to see the western world's hypocrisy (even if mainstream US can't), and beginning to assert themselves militarily, concern me.

mattctr
captain of 100

Post by mattctr »

Local Chinese don't have the same feeling about crime that most foreigners have. Foreigners feel (and generally are) very safe in China. Punishments are very severe for people and attacking a foreigner would raise the profile and punishment of a crime, so criminals pick easier targets. A lot of the crime is pretty well organized into local syndicates that operate/infiltrate with some level of police or government support, so petty street crime is not the main issue, though it can happen. Bars on windows up to 10+ stories high would suggest that crime does occur.

But yes, as a foreigner in China, you would be generally very safe and not likely singled out by criminals (other than pick pockets, tea ceremony or art student scams, etc.).

dtanner
captain of 100

Post by dtanner »

Good comments Mattctr

marktheshark
captain of 100

Post by marktheshark »

Obrien wrote:
Muerte Rosa wrote:
Chinese for business
Spanish for good food!
Lonestar Taqueria has excellent authentic Mexican food.

samizdat
captain of 1,000

Post by samizdat »

marktheshark wrote: Lonestar Taqueria has excellent authentic Mexican food.
Pretty much any taco stand in downtown SLC has good Mexican food. There was one that parked itself in Gallivan Plaza a block away from the FBI building that was REALLY good.

But if you want true blue authentic Mexican food, come on down here to Puebla where I am at and I'll be sure to show you guys around. Mole, chiles en nogada, Tlayudas (Mexican pizza from Oaxaca), you name it.

The Red Iguana isn't too shabby either. And you wouldn't believe it but Jack in the Box down in StG has good tacos too.

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

David13 wrote:Yes, they imitate, bootleg, and disregard patent laws. But they will learn how to think creatively soon.
I'm not sure those are related, necessarily.

Imitation and memorization are the keys to success in Chinese culture--except for the people who invented what is imitated and memorized!

Patent/ copyright/ etc. are laws in and for much of the West. Note that for most of man's existence, there has been nothing until 1800's in America? It's a limit on someone else's resources, which they own. Some Western "philosophers" argue for no IP rights.

If people want an imitation bag for half the price, why not??

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

mattctr wrote:Local Chinese don't have the same feeling about crime that most foreigners have. Foreigners feel (and generally are) very safe in China. Punishments are very severe for people and attacking a foreigner would raise the profile and punishment of a crime, so criminals pick easier targets. A lot of the crime is pretty well organized into local syndicates that operate/infiltrate with some level of police or government support, so petty street crime is not the main issue, though it can happen. Bars on windows up to 10+ stories high would suggest that crime does occur.

But yes, as a foreigner in China, you would be generally very safe and not likely singled out by criminals (other than pick pockets, tea ceremony or art student scams, etc.).
Tell that to my friend that was hijacked in a rickshaw (in Beijing) and threatened to hand over his cash. ;)

Actually, I'd agree with your synopsis.

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

People, if you are talking about good Mexican food in Utah, please put the city they're in! I want to know what's going to be close by... :)