church announces news conference this morning 10am

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
zionbuilder
captain of 100

church announces news conference this morning 10am

Post by zionbuilder »

http://m.deseretnews.com/article/865620 ... ook.com%2F" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Wonder what it will be?

mattctr
captain of 100

Re: church announces news conference this morning 10am

Post by mattctr »

A church spokesman said the subject is religious freedom and nondiscrimination.

The news conference will be broadcast live on KSL-TV and KSL NewsRadio and streamed live on DeseretNews.com.

Nondiscrimination legislation seeks to protect LGBT people against discrimination in employment, housing and places of pubic accommodation like restaurants and hotels.

On Twitter, the church will be using the hashtag #fairness4all for its releases, statements and updates..
Too bad the church has abandoned individual liberty in favor of public opinion. (I know the arguments as to why they might need to...)
I wonder if supporting government force on private hotels and restaurants (places of public accommodation) won't backfire and open the temple doors to the same down the road...? A tricky path, a sticky path, and a slippery slope...
Last edited by mattctr on January 27th, 2015, 8:44 am, edited 2 times in total.

BroJones
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by BroJones »

I'm wondering if part of it will be to announce no more marriages in temples -- just Sealings (in the US). Guess we'll see.

laronius
captain of 100

Post by laronius »

We know that that is where we are heading eventually. Guess we will soon find out.

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

If the church suddenly began supporting abortions, I hope "members" would still recognize the inherent immorality of killing children (developing humans).

What concerns me with "follow the prophet" is that people will follow them to whatever evil, trusting that their false gods could never lead them astray.

My guess is the news announcement will be more subtle, but still the principle applies - don't let anyone decide for you what is ethical or not. God is based on truth not that which yields to popular opinion.

Each of our existences testifies of the truth of heterosexuality. The homosexual movement would have everyone ignore that axiomatic truth, even when US CDC reveals disproportionately high statistics of cases of STDs, AIDS/HIV and mental illness among those who practice homosexuality (besides anal sex risks).

It is loving to want someone to be healthy, not sick.
It is loving to future generations (children) to reserve their right to NOT be legaly denied a mother or father. Studies, reproduction and common sense show that mothers are needed as well as fathers.
Last edited by Thinker on January 27th, 2015, 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fiannan »

Thinker wrote:If the church suddenly began supporting abortions, I hope "members" would still recognize the inherent immorality of killing children (developing humans).

What concerns me with "follow the prophet" is that people will follow them to whatever evil, trusting that their false gods could never lead them astray.
Ask yourself, if the Church would announce that all members should march in the upcoming gay pride parade how many would do it? You know the answer, right?

I hope such never happens but I once would visit an LDS forum that the mere mention of homosexuality would light up a flame war. Then the Church came out in favor of the SLC non-discrimination legislation all of the sudden many of those members said they now were pleased at how much love was being demonstrated by the leaders. I personally believe more than half of the membership would march in the parade, but would tend to look down on the women who often go topless at such events.

BroJones
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by BroJones »

Thinker wrote:If the church suddenly began supporting abortions, I hope "members" would still recognize the inherent immorality of killing children (developing humans).

Ah, no - that is not what we teach. Rather, this is what the LDS Church teaches, QUOTING from an Apostle at the last General Conference (Nov. 2014 Ensign of the Church):
God intends that His children should act according to the moral agency He has given them, “that every man may be accountable for his own sins in the day of judgment.”2 It is His plan and His will that we have the principal decision-making role in our own life’s drama. God will not live our lives for us nor control us as if we were His puppets, as Lucifer once proposed to do.

Nor will His prophets accept the role of “puppet master” in God’s place.
Brigham Young stated: “I do not wish any Latter Day Saint in this world, nor in heaven, to be satisfied with anything I do, unless the Spirit of the Lord Jesus Christ,—the spirit of revelation, makes them satisfied. I wish them to know for themselves and understand for themselves.”

Lizzy60
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Lizzy60 »

That was from one talk, Bro Jones -- however another talk was very heavy-handed on the Follow the Prophet, and stay in the boat, etc. Please re-read Elder Ballard's talk, Stay in the Boat and Hold On. Here is the part that was heavily stressed in my RS last Sunday. ------

"The experienced river guides today can be likened to the Church’s apostles and prophets and inspired local priesthood and auxiliary leaders. They help us arrive safely to our final destination.

Recently, I spoke at the new mission presidents’ seminar and counseled these leaders:

“Keep the eyes of the mission on the leaders of the Church. … We will not and … cannot lead [you] astray.

“And as you teach your missionaries to focus their eyes on us, teach them to never follow those who think they know more about how to administer the affairs of the Church than … Heavenly Father and the Lord Jesus Christ do” through the priesthood leaders who have the keys to preside.

“I have discovered in my ministry that those who have become lost [and] confused are typically those who have most often … forgotten that when the First Presidency and the Quorum of the Twelve speak with a united voice, it is the voice of the Lord for that time. The Lord reminds us, ‘Whether by mine own voice or by the voice of my servants, it is the same’ [D&C 1:38].”5

In other words, they leave the Old Ship Zion—they fall away; they apostatize. Tragically, they often experience short-term and eventually long-term unintended consequences, not only for themselves but also for their families.

Our local Church leaders, like seasoned river guides, have been tutored by life’s experiences; have been trained and mentored by apostles and prophets and other officers of the Church; and, most important, have been tutored by the Lord Himself."

Ballard allows NO possibility that there would ever be any straying from truth by the Senior Leaders of the Church.

ajax
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by ajax »

Rhetoric vs Reality. Go against the grain in your beliefs, even small stuff like WoW and tithing, and prepare to be disciplined.

Heber J stated to Marion G, ‘My boy, you always keep your eye on the President of the Church and if he ever tells you to do anything, and it is wrong, and you do it, the Lord will bless you for it.’ Then with a twinkle in his eye, he said, ‘But you don’t need to worry. The Lord will never let his mouthpiece lead the people astray.’

Ezra Taft liked this story so much, he included it in his 14 fundamentals talk.

Col. Flagg
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Col. Flagg »

BroJones wrote:I'm wondering if part of it will be to announce no more marriages in temples -- just Sealings (in the US). Guess we'll see.
Hi Steve. While I think this is indeed forthcoming in the near future at some point, this appears likely to just be a generic statement about condemning religious intolerance and accepting, loving and embracing those who are of different faiths than ours as well as homosexuals. There must be some serious issues occurring with these topics inside the church right now for them to have to hold a news conference about it.

mattctr
captain of 100

Post by mattctr »

Well, maybe we should all change our idea. Maybe the Lord wants non-discrimination laws for LGBTs more than individual liberty for restaurant, hotel, and apartment owners.

Col. Flagg
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Col. Flagg »

mattctr wrote:Well, maybe we should all change our idea. Maybe the Lord wants non-discrimination laws for LGBTs more than individual liberty for restaurant, hotel, and apartment owners.
What's all this talk about restaurant, hotel and apartment owners and freedom?

hyloglyph
captain of 1,000

Post by hyloglyph »

Members need to follow the Prophets

Prophets need to follow American public opinion and American legislatures

This is the modern way

Phoenixstar117
captain of 100

Post by Phoenixstar117 »

I'm afraid the stream isn't working on my work comp. Is there a transcript supposedly posted somewhere or will be posted somewhere?

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

Col. Flagg wrote:
mattctr wrote:Well, maybe we should all change our idea. Maybe the Lord wants non-discrimination laws for LGBTs more than individual liberty for restaurant, hotel, and apartment owners.
What's all this talk about restaurant, hotel and apartment owners and freedom?
They should not discriminate against anyone with unusual preferences. /:)
If someone likes to play naked in poop - and reak of it and then go to an establishment, everyone in the establishment has to cator to their preferences and any other related fetishes.

Matt,
There is a difference between love and peace-at-all-costs.
God is LOVE and love is appreciating what is while striving for what is best.
Is it best to have STDs, AIDS/HIV, mental illness, complications from anal sex?
What about social and psychological issues in children who are legally denied a mother or father?
Would God our our Creator deem fathers or mothers unnecessary?
Sorry, but the TRUTH is that if it weren't for the union of a mother and father, NOBODY would exist.
I don't see how God/Creation could be any clearer.
hyloglyph wrote:Members need to follow the Prophets

Prophets need to follow American public opinion and American legislatures

This is the modern way
Truth can make you laugh or cry.

BroJones
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by BroJones »

Excellent news conference - declaring the intention of the Church to pursue freedom of speech as a Constitutional right - and not be silenced nor forced on LGBT issues.

Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Elizabeth »

"Elder Oaks said that “those who seek the protection of religious conscience and expression and for the free exercise of their religion look with alarm at the steady erosion of treasured freedoms that are guaranteed in the United States Constitution.”

And he explained: “Since 1791 the guarantees of religious freedom embodied in the First Amendment have assured all citizens that they may hold whatever religious views they want, and that they are free to express and act on those beliefs so long as such actions do not endanger public health or safety. This is one of America’s most cherished and defining freedoms. Yet today we see new examples of attacks on religious freedom with increasing frequency.”

Elder Oaks shared several of those examples. The university system in California, he said, is forcing some groups to compromise their religious conscience if they want recognition for their clubs. And in one of America’s largest cities, lawyers acting for the city government subpoenaed the sermons and notes of pastors who opposed parts of a new antidiscrimination law on religious grounds. Recently, he noted, the head of a large American corporation was forced to resign from his position in a well-publicized backlash to his personal beliefs.

“When religious people are publicly intimidated, retaliated against, forced from employment or made to suffer personal loss because they have raised their voice in the public square, donated to a cause or participated in an election, our democracy is the loser,” Elder Oaks said. “Such tactics are every bit as wrong as denying access to employment, housing or public services because of race or gender.”

Elder Holland said that people of faith must maintain their constitutional right to live their lives in accordance with their deeply held religious beliefs. That includes choosing their profession or employment or serving in public office without intimidation, coercion or retaliation from another group.

Elder Holland said that “accommodating the rights of all people – including their religious rights– requires wisdom and judgment, compassion and fairness. Politically, it certainly requires dedication to the highest level of statesmanship.” And he added: “Nothing is achieved if either side resorts to bullying, political point scoring or accusations of bigotry. These are serious issues, and they require serious minds engaged in thoughtful, courteous discourse.”

Sister Marriott said during the press conference that The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints believes that sexual relations other than between a man and a woman who are married are contrary to the laws of God. “This commandment and doctrine comes from sacred scripture and we are not at liberty to change it,” she said.” http://www.mormonnewsroom.org/article/c ... rimination" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

"The church is promising to support some housing and job protections for gays and lesbians IN EXCHANGE for legal protections for believers who object to the behavior of others."
http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/morm ... d-28519393" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Those with "special" preferences seem to have quite some influence to make the church bargain with them.

Again, truth will either make you laugh or cry.

ajax
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by ajax »

This is interesting. So what you are suggesting is that the Lords wants the Gov't to be the real owner (decision maker) of other peoples property rather than allow freedom of association?

Lizzy60
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Lizzy60 »

There is at least one sympathetic Apostle toward those with "special preferences." This talk details how accepting the Christofferson family is toward their gay son/brother and his partner. It also states that the two men are accepted and welcomed by their ward (although they are not members of the church).

http://www.nearingkolob.com/talk-elder- ... y-brother/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

Of course you should love everyone, even if they have strange preferences.
But you don't see people who prefer to suck their thumbs (or other fetishes besides homosexual fetishes) demanding special treatment.

And love is striving for what's best.
If a skin-and-bones anorexic complains of being fat, you don't go along with her preference to avoid eating do you?
According to the US CDC, homosexual practices statistically prove to be harmful in multiple ways. And children di need a mother AND father. Pretending lies are truth is harmful and not loving.
Last edited by Thinker on January 27th, 2015, 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fiannan »

Well...religion v. government. Why do you think Christianity from Rome created a symbol of Jesus hanging on the cross and then adorned it in all the churches? Perhaps it is to show that the Roman state was so powerful it could execute the Son of God. Burn that image into the collective sub-conscious of the masses and it is no wonder kings and emperors chose to use the law to suppress those who questioned the interpretations of scripture given by the churches.

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

Fetish: "something, such as a material object or nonsexual part of the body, that arouses sexual desire and may become necessary for sexual gratification."

Ie: anal sex, dildos

These fetishes are what distinguishes a homosexual relationship from merely friends who care about each other.
It's not true sex because for that is needed a man's part and a female's part. So, as illogical as it is, some are demanding and getting special treatment just for expressing certain fetishes.

Ezra
captain of 1,000

Post by Ezra »

Lizzy60 wrote:There is at least one sympathetic Apostle toward those with "special preferences." This talk details how accepting the Christofferson family is toward their gay son/brother and his partner. It also states that the two men are accepted and welcomed by their ward (although they are not members of the church).

http://www.nearingkolob.com/talk-elder- ... y-brother/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Accepting of a person choices v's acceptance of sin are 2 different things.

You can accept and love the person. And yet hate the sin. The sin is not the person.

Yet that person has his agency to sin. And we can do nothing about their choice they have made for themselfs.

The best way to help them change their minds is through love.

We must remember that they might have choose the trial of being gay in the pre exsistance. It's obvious they are choosing that trial here in this life. Why look down on the person for being in a trail which if they overcome will strenthen them?

Love the sinner hate the sin. Love the person fisrt befor you even think about helping them through their trials.
Last edited by Ezra on January 27th, 2015, 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fiannan »

Muerte Rosa wrote:Thomas i think for some it is a fetish....but for most it's not.
All people are bi-potential to a degree. Most men and women who go to prison for significant periods of time form same-sex relationships - some pair off for years and years. Yet when they leave prison the vast majority go back to exclusively heterosexual relationships.

Some women once they reach middle age and childbirth is no longer an issue in their lives form lesbian relationships, even though they would have clearly said they were exclusively heterosexual in their 20s.

Ultimately there are a lot of factors involved in sexual orientation but the greatest is reproductive expectations and then societal approval or not. Lesbian sex has been trendy for almost a generation and the young women born in the 1990s are way more likely to add same-sex activity to their sexual playbook. The society now is opening the door to acceptance to male-male relationship trendiness and so in a generation we can expect a lot more of that.