Naming an Blessing of Children

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
sunfly
captain of 50

Naming an Blessing of Children

Post by sunfly »

Looking for some clarification of proper naming and blessing of a child. I have consulted the church's website and publications, but they aren't 100% clear do me.

Mainly, after adressing HF in prayer, are you to indicate you are doing it "in the name of Jesus christ"?

The guides do not specifically list this in the four steps........but...... In the intro to giving of all blessing, does mention that blessings are to be done in Jesus name. So, the way it is presented is unclear, you would think it would be listed specifically in the steps.

I would appreciate anyone's thoughts. Thanks!

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Naming an Blessing of Children

Post by JohnnyL »

Check the Church Handbook of Instruction (CHI), which you can find on the Church's website, IF you can sign in.

I'd ask a leader with access to the book, if you can't sign in. Heck, double check with one or two anyway.

Yes, you can just close blessings as a prayer, which will make them "done in Jesus Christ's name".

You blessing your baby soon? :)

Obrien
Up, up and away.

Post by Obrien »

2 Nephi 32:9 / DC 20:70 are your guides here. use the scriptures, that's what they are there for. congratulations on the baby!

juniper
captain of 50

Post by juniper »

When blessing a baby, men who hold the Melchizedek Priesthood gather in a circle and hold the baby in their hands. When blessing an older child, brethren place their hands lightly on the child’s head. The person who gives the blessing:

Addresses Heavenly Father.

States that the blessing is given by the authority of the Melchizedek Priesthood.

Gives the child a name.

Gives a priesthood blessing as the Spirit directs.

Closes in the name of Jesus Christ.
Priesthood Ordinances and Blessings
http://www.lds.org/manual/family-guideb ... s?lang=eng" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

juniper
captain of 50

Post by juniper »

Also the handbook states that only two people are required for the blessing. The brother performing the ordinance and the presiding authority. All others in the circle are there to show support.

LucianAMD
ex-Puppet Master

Post by LucianAMD »

juniper wrote:Also the handbook states that only two people are required for the blessing. The brother performing the ordinance and the presiding authority. All others in the circle are there to show support.
So if I'm blessing my baby in my home, do I then become the presiding authority? Thus only requiring myself?

JaredAlmond
The Gutter

Post by JaredAlmond »

LucianAMD wrote:
juniper wrote:Also the handbook states that only two people are required for the blessing. The brother performing the ordinance and the presiding authority. All others in the circle are there to show support.
So if I'm blessing my baby in my home, do I then become the presiding authority? Thus only requiring myself?
You and the Holy Ghost are the only ones that are required to be in the circle. There is power and (presiding)authority in the Holy Ghost and hence power in you!

jnjnelson
captain of 100

Post by jnjnelson »

LucianAMD wrote:So if I'm blessing my baby in my home, do I then become the presiding authority? Thus only requiring myself?
That would be a father's blessing, which you are authorized merely by having been ordained to the Melchizedek priesthood. The bishop or someone specifically assigned by the bishop of your local ward (or branch/branch president, as the case may be) needs to be in on naming and blessing children.

jnjnelson
captain of 100

Post by jnjnelson »

sunfly wrote:Mainly, after adressing HF in prayer, are you to indicate you are doing it "in the name of Jesus christ"?
There would be nothing particular wrong with stating that you are doing it "in the name of Jesus Christ" at the beginning, after addressing Heavenly Father, but it should not be required and you should also close in the name of Jesus Christ.

jnjnelson
captain of 100

Post by jnjnelson »

As a side note, naming and blessing children is not a saving ordinance. The main temporal function for performing this ordinance is to ensure that the records of the church are updated to include the child, and the spiritual function is basically the same as a father's blessing.

jnjnelson
captain of 100

Post by jnjnelson »

JohnnyL wrote:Check the Church Handbook of Instruction (CHI), which you can find on the Church's website, IF you can sign in.

I'd ask a leader with access to the book, if you can't sign in. Heck, double check with one or two anyway.

Yes, you can just close blessings as a prayer, which will make them "done in Jesus Christ's name".

Book two of the Church Handbook of instructions is available without an lds.org account: https://www.lds.org/handbook/handbook-2 ... the-church
Last edited by jnjnelson on December 10th, 2014, 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

jnjnelson wrote:
JohnnyL wrote:Check the Church Handbook of Instruction (CHI), which you can find on the Church's website, IF you can sign in.

Book two of the Church Handbook of instructions is available without an lds.org account: https://www.lds.org/handbook/handbook-2 ... the-church
Requires a sign-in for me. That is the link, though. :)

jnjnelson
captain of 100

Post by jnjnelson »

JohnnyL wrote:Requires a sign-in for me. That is the link, though. :)
That's kind of silly for them to require a language. Try this one: https://www.lds.org/handbook/handbook-2 ... h?lang=eng

ajax
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by ajax »

LucianAMD wrote:
Nobody "presides" in your home but you and spouse. The CHI doesn't apply there IMO.

Obrien
Up, up and away.

Post by Obrien »

juniper wrote:When blessing a baby, men who hold the Melchizedek Priesthood gather in a circle and hold the baby in their hands. When blessing an older child, brethren place their hands lightly on the child’s head. The person who gives the blessing:

Addresses Heavenly Father.
States that the blessing is given by the authority of the Melchizedek Priesthood.

Gives the child a name.

Gives a priesthood blessing as the Spirit directs.

Closes in the name of Jesus Christ.
Priesthood Ordinances and Blessings
http://www.lds.org/manual/family-guideb ... s?lang=eng" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The philosophies of men, mingled with scripture.

jnjnelson
captain of 100

Post by jnjnelson »

Obrien wrote:The philosophies of men, mingled with scripture.
Really? Are you suggesting that the Family Guidebook falls under the category of incorrect philosophies? "The philosophies of men, mingled with scripture" is usually a statement of contrast, where the "philosophies of men" refer to misinformation and "scripture" refers to truth. The Family Guidebook is one of the few books in the world that is actually published directly by the Lord's church. I am confident that book falls under the category of scripture.https://www.lds.org/scriptures/dc-testament/dc/68.4#3 and the implication that it contains "The philosophies of men, mingled with scripture" is an apostate implication. I really hope you did not intend to imply that, Obrien.

Lizzy60
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Lizzy60 »

I am confident that the Family GUIDEbook is not scripture. Like the Proclamation on the family, it is a GUIDE.

jnjnelson
captain of 100

Post by jnjnelson »

Lizzy60 wrote:I am confident that the Family GUIDEbook is not scripture. Like the Proclamation on the family, it is a GUIDE.
Are you saying that the Family Guidebook, and other publications of the Lord's church, are "The philosophies of men, mingled with scripture"?

ajax
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by ajax »

jnjnelson wrote:
Obrien wrote:The philosophies of men, mingled with scripture.
Really? Are you suggesting that the Family Guidebook falls under the category of incorrect philosophies? "The philosophies of men, mingled with scripture" is usually a statement of contrast, where the "philosophies of men" refer to misinformation and "scripture" refers to truth. The Family Guidebook is one of the few books in the world that is actually published directly by the Lord's church. I am confident that book falls under the category of scripture.https://www.lds.org/scriptures/dc-testament/dc/68.4#3 and the implication that it contains "The philosophies of men, mingled with scripture" is an apostate implication. I really hope you did not intend to imply that, Obrien.
I think he's suggesting exactly that.

From Alma 15:
6 And it came to pass that Alma said unto him, taking him by the hand: Believest thou in the power of Christ unto salvation?
7 And he answered and said: Yea, I believe all the words that thou hast taught.
8 And Alma said: If thou believest in the redemption of Christ thou canst be healed.
9 And he said: Yea, I believe according to thy words.
10 And then Alma cried unto the Lord, saying: O Lord our God, have mercy on this man, and heal him according to his faith which is in Christ.
11 And when Alma had said these words, Zeezrom leaped upon his feet, and began to walk;
Does the above meet any modern day template or "instructions"?

I think OBrien is mostly right. He emphasized, "Gives a priesthood blessing as the Spirit directs" Though I would disagree on one point: Invoking priesthood is not necessary either, though one may if inspired. It is by faith these things are done, male or female.

jbalm
The Third Comforter

Post by jbalm »

"The official, canonized scriptures of the Church, often called the standard works, are the Bible, the Book of Mormon, the Doctrine and Covenants, and the Pearl of Great Price."

https://www.lds.org/topics/scriptures?l ... scriptures

Obrien
Up, up and away.

Post by Obrien »

jnj - I wasn't implying anything. I was stating an obvious fact. jbalm in the post directly above ^^^ classified what the scriptures are. it does not include the proclamation, for the strength of youth, preach my gospel, mormon doctrine, the ensign, any general conference addresses, or the church handbook of instruction. seriously, that's pretty fundamental stuff. it's dangerous to believe that "the church" cannot and does not interject the philosophies of men into its teachings.

Ajax - I debated highlighting the priesthood part, and only included it because section 20 (a scripture) says for the elders to do the act. I am 100% fine with a woman being in the circle or being voice for the group. during chat after my last temple recommend interview, I told the bishop I would be fine with a female bishop. he agreed. :)

jnjnelson
captain of 100

Post by jnjnelson »

Obrien wrote:jbalm in the post directly above ^^^ classified what the scriptures are. it does not include the proclamation, for the strength of youth, preach my gospel, mormon doctrine, the ensign, any general conference addresses, or the church handbook of instruction. seriously, that's pretty fundamental stuff. it's dangerous to believe that "the church" cannot and does not interject the philosophies of men into its teachings.
Apparently neither jbalm nor you actually visited the link I provided regarding what is included in the category of scripture.
Doctrine and Covenants 68:4 wrote:And whatsoever they shall speak when moved upon by the Holy Ghost shall be scripture, shall be the will of the Lord, shall be the mind of the Lord, shall be the word of the Lord, shall be the voice of the Lord, and the power of God unto salvation.
Thus, even that which you categorize as scripture refutes your claim that scripture is limited to that which you categorize as scripture. If one accepts the definition of scripture from the scriptures, one must also accept the concept of continuous revelation and include the contents of that revelation in the category of scripture.

Obrien wrote:it's dangerous to believe that "the church" cannot and does not interject the philosophies of men into its teachings.
Whose church is it? Once one accepts that "the church" is, in all actuality, the Lord's church, the danger comes when mistaking the doctrine of the church for "the philosophies of men".

juniper
captain of 50

Post by juniper »

Let me guess- some of you have been offended by some presiding authority? It's obvious that there are many on this site that don't have a testimony of the Priesthood!
Later.

Obrien
Up, up and away.

Post by Obrien »

Nope, I have no ax to grind and I'm not offended (just opinionated). I don't have a testimony of the priesthood. I have a testimony of the Ultimate Priesthood Holder.

jnj - you're right, I didn't go to the links you provided. I did today. Your definition of scripture is much looser and broad than mine, and more broad than I believe section 68 should be read. You have no idea about the words that my stake president said last September that were inspired, so they cannot be "scripture" for you. I suppose Jbalm and I should be more precise and say "canonized scripture". I do not take church publications (other than the standard works) as either scripture or canonized scripture, unless something therein is confirmed by the Spirit. On that, we both seem to agree.

jbalm
The Third Comforter

Post by jbalm »

juniper wrote:Let me guess- some of you have been offended by some presiding authority? It's obvious that there are many on this site that don't have a testimony of the Priesthood!
Later.