Interstellar Movie

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
Epistemology
captain of 100

Interstellar Movie

Post by Epistemology »

The new movie Interstellar is the greatest movie of all time...

jbalm
The Third Comforter

Re: Interstellar Movie

Post by jbalm »

Cool. Someone gave me tickets for tomorrow. I will no longer look at this thread for fear of spoilers.

Col. Flagg
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Col. Flagg »

Interstellar was also a great 1980's arcade game with some of the best state-of-the-art graphics for its time. In fact, I think it was the first laserdisc arcade game... the music and sound effects in it were fantastic! In fact, just found this...

Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fiannan »

Epistemology wrote:The new movie Interstellar is the greatest movie of all time...
Are you sure? Have you ever see Peter Jackson's "Bad Taste?"

iamse7en
captain of 1,000

Post by iamse7en »

"They" (5th dimensional beings) are the gods, who have mastered the laws of our universe and have powers that transcend space and time, and they communicate to us to help us progress, but they are "us" in the future, before we gain those powers and become gods, only to use it to help our own descendents also progress to where we are, and so on, worlds without end.

Really was a great movie that makes you feel like you entered and exited a wormhole yourself when you walk out of the theater, which really was Nolan's design.

Some moments were more powerful (on both intellectual and emotional grounds) than others, but it reached new depths and heights never before done in the sci-fi genre. Bravo, Nolan. A million times better and more powerful than 2001.

Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fiannan »

iamse7en wrote:"They" (5th dimensional beings) are the gods, who have mastered the laws of our universe and have powers that transcend space and time, and they communicate to us to help us progress, but they are "us" in the future, before we gain those powers and become gods, only to use it to help our own descendents also progress to where we are, and so on, worlds without end.

Really was a great movie that makes you feel like you entered and exited a wormhole yourself when you walk out of the theater, which really was Nolan's design.

Some moments were more powerful (on both intellectual and emotional grounds) than others, but it reached new depths and heights never before done in the sci-fi genre. Bravo, Nolan. A million times better and more powerful than 2001.
If so maybe people should watch "Transcendant Man" (there are sources on the internet) before they see the movie. It is a documentary about trans-humanism.

Epistemology
captain of 100

Post by Epistemology »

Physics is a big interest of mine so that plays into me liking the movie so much, in addition to Nolan's writing and directing eye and story telling.

Time being represented in a 3D physical space is interesting and the subject of relative time being shown was cool

redj
captain of 10

Post by redj »

In nolan we trust. Seeing it tonight.

Epistemology
captain of 100

Post by Epistemology »

A good deal of topics in the movie are espoused by Kip Thorne a physicist from Logan UT. He was a producer on the film too

Lance
captain of 100

Post by Lance »

-
Last edited by Lance on June 23rd, 2015, 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Epistemology
captain of 100

Post by Epistemology »

Lance wrote:Wow, a lot of great comments. I am looking forward to seeing this one next week.

It couldn't possibly be better than Memento, could it?
I think so.

Memento was good though

Epistemology
captain of 100

Post by Epistemology »

After you see the movie or if you want to read some detailed plot analysis of the movie (spoiler) or if you will never see the movie, check this link out

http://popwatch.ew.com/2014/11/07/inter ... explained/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Epistemology
captain of 100

Post by Epistemology »

Fiannan wrote:
Epistemology wrote:The new movie Interstellar is the greatest movie of all time...
Are you sure? Have you ever see Peter Jackson's "Bad Taste?"
lol no I googled it. that looks wacked!!

did you actually like it or just being funny?

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

Just watched it and LOVED it!!! B-)

jbalm
The Third Comforter

Post by jbalm »

Just got back. It was really good. Not quite the level of "The Big Lebowski," but still really good.

iamse7en
captain of 1,000

Post by iamse7en »

Couldn't get the stupid movie out of my head all day today. I went and saw it again tonight (not IMAX this time, which was nice because I feel like I could understand the dialogue a bit better, though not 100% better).

It is even better the second time. I was able to process and take it in much better without all the stress. All of the themes on multiple dimensions hit me like a ton of bricks and had me crying at multiple times in the movie. Loved it. Think I'll see it again before it leaves the theaters.

CrushBlock
captain of 10

Post by CrushBlock »

My 11 year old asked if we could go see Interstellar. He's talked about wanting to study astrophysics in college and this movie seems to be in that sphere. What's the verdict on it being kid friendly?

Lance
captain of 100

Post by Lance »

-
Last edited by Lance on June 23rd, 2015, 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

ajax
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by ajax »

Lance wrote:
CrushBlock wrote: What's the verdict on it being kid friendly?
I need to know the answer to this as well.
https://www.commonsensemedia.org/movie- ... terstellar" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

gkearney
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by gkearney »

Lance wrote:
CrushBlock wrote: What's the verdict on it being kid friendly?
I need to know the answer to this as well.
While likely not suitable for young children due to thematic elements they would not understand I think it would be fine for children 10 and up. No sex or nudity, very little violence, some mild language but the only driven by the extremes of the situation where people really would use that sort of vocabulary nothing that a 10 year old would not have heard befor on the street I suspect.

The movie is very long at 3.5 hours so take that into account and it deals with complex and serious matters. It a good movie, as great as Citizen Kane or some of the other classics of cinima? Only time will tell.

Epistemology
captain of 100

Post by Epistemology »

iamse7en wrote:Couldn't get the stupid movie out of my head all day today. I went and saw it again tonight (not IMAX this time, which was nice because I feel like I could understand the dialogue a bit better, though not 100% better).

It is even better the second time. I was able to process and take it in much better without all the stress. All of the themes on multiple dimensions hit me like a ton of bricks and had me crying at multiple times in the movie. Loved it. Think I'll see it again before it leaves the theaters.
Ya I couldn't stop thinking about it either and couldn't go to sleep.
I'll see it again. Reading Kip Thornes material will help gel all things together the second time I expect

iamse7en
captain of 1,000

Post by iamse7en »

gkearney wrote:The movie is very long at 3.5 hours so take that into account
Where did you get the extra 40 minutes from? Staring at the screen afterwards?

gkearney
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by gkearney »

iamse7en wrote:
gkearney wrote:The movie is very long at 3.5 hours so take that into account
Where did you get the extra 40 minutes from? Staring at the screen afterwards?
Screen time at 7:00 walked out at the end of the credits at 10:30 that equals 3.5 hours

North_Star
captain of 100

Post by North_Star »

I enjoyed the movie....I would not classify it as one of the greatest of all time. It's ok. Some scenes seemed long.

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

I really enjoyed Nolan's treatment of space-time. Having Cooper take the necessary risks to save the world, including Amelia Brand (Anne H) and keep his promise to his daughter along the way with that 90% truth telling that completely pulled my heartstrings and floored me. Nobody knows what happens on the "other side" of a black hole. Well, obviously, you'd get pulled in, crushed and killed. But because time is irrelevant inside a black hole and the soul lives on, of course we become "5th dimensional beings" who can affect the course of events along any point in linear time. That's what exalted beings do. :)