So people are now being baptized into the Church of Snuffy?

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
BroJones
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: So people are now being baptized into the Church of Snuf

Post by BroJones »

SAM wrote:...There are lots of good things about the LDS church, besides the leadership, which would make a person want to stay even if they don't have a 100% testimony on the doctrine of the day. Perhaps, they are just in limbo and need love and guidance, not people suggesting they don't belong. I just wish our culture, in general, was more gentle to those who are unorthodox but have no desire to leave.
I totally agree, SAM.
Again, Jesus comes to mind:
Doctrine and Covenants 64:10
10 I, the Lord, will forgive whom I will forgive, but of you it is required to forgive all men
That's it!

bbrown
captain of 100

Post by bbrown »

Section 1 is great and has some great warnings and other things in it. Don't, however, apply modern meanings to the words used in it. It was given in 1831. Prophets and apostles referred to those of the scriptures (Bible, BoM) at that time. There was no quorum of the 12 until 1835. Prophet was talking about ancient prophets. Then current leaders? brethren? whatever, might, might, fall under servants, as Joseph and Oliver and various others were referred to as servants. Could also be angels though, angels are often called servants in scripture. Either way it is vague, Joseph is repeatedly mentioned as the one who's words are binding not others. Well, I guess Hyrum was a bit later on. The term prophet in the modern church meant Joseph until the mid fifties and actually mid sixties (J. Reuben Clark came unhinged when they used it for president McKay in the fifties so it was not used again until he died). A lot of our problems come from superimposing modern meanings and structure on things when the had a completely different meaning at the time they were given. The BoM and D&C are especially susceptible to that. Read them with an 1828 dictionary and many things look very different.

BroJones
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by BroJones »

Brokenheart wrote:I am new here . Maybe you all, with honest respect , can afford to take this topic with sarcasms , or kind of silly way, but this issue is taking my world apart, family marriage. No know much about Denver, besides some book that my husband told me to read. Never did. Besides that he was coming to Boise and my husband want to go , I dint , I start to hear drops of criticism and glum coming from my husband little by little, his endless nite of reading writtings books, of this guy.
Now, 4 days ago all fall apart : I hear this guys Denver is talking to the Lord almost every day, my husband is meeting with others in secrets places, a re-baptize , loosing his priesthood to have a "true one"..and so on....
I want to you all understand this : that guy, that book is powerful. If you are single n have no children or wife , and you decide to get baptize or leave the church . do it.
But, when a man have a wife n children, and ME his wife no fallowing this guy, and no sustain my Husband ( one of the seven woman who give him the New Order of priesthood need to be the man wife) he will loose the priesthood unto me and my children are seal, and he no even going to have the new one because me!
This is no a joke. I cry my heart out ...y want to wake up from this horrible dream.

I m a convert , so that help me to no fallow ever ever again a Lider blindly. I sustain P. Monson, I know he is no perfect, I know this is no a perfect church, and no agreed in some things , but I know FOR SURE in my heart , deep inside that when I think about P. Monson I feel no darkness like I feel when my husband talk about Denver.
Thank you sister, for your testimony and your expressed concerns. Oh, my heart goes out to you.

I'm finding that the Doctrine and Covenants (DC) is replete (full) with statements about "the Church" as the Lord sees it, and we can benefit by turning to it.

For example, Jesus said so clearly:

DC 112:

20 Whosoever receiveth my word receiveth me, and whosoever receiveth me, receiveth those, the First Presidency, whom I have sent, whom I have made counselors for my name’s sake unto you.

21 And again, I say unto you, that whosoever ye shall send in my name, by the voice of your brethren, the Twelve, duly recommended and authorized by you, shall have power to open the door of my kingdom unto any nation whithersoever ye shall send them—

22 Inasmuch as they shall humble themselves before me, and abide in my word, and hearken to the voice of my Spirit....

30 For unto you, the Twelve, and those, the First Presidency, who are appointed with you to be your counselors and your leaders, is the power of this priesthood given, for the last days and for the last time, in the which is the dispensation of the fulness of times,

31 Which power you hold, in connection with all those who have received a dispensation at any time from the beginning of the creation;

32 For verily I say unto you, the keys of the dispensation, which ye have received, have come down from the fathers, and last of all, being sent down from heaven unto you.

33 Verily I say unto you, behold how great is your calling. Cleanse your hearts and your garments, lest the blood of this generation be required at your hands.
Said Jesus,
unto you, the Twelve, and those, the First Presidency, who are appointed with you to be your counselors and your leaders, is the power of this priesthood given, for the last days and for the last time,

for the LAST TIME! nothing could be clearer than that.

iWriteStuff
blithering blabbermouth

Post by iWriteStuff »

Brokenheart wrote:I am new here . Maybe you all, with honest respect , can afford to take this topic with sarcasms , or kind of silly way, but this issue is taking my world apart, family marriage. No know much about Denver, besides some book that my husband told me to read. Never did. Besides that he was coming to Boise and my husband want to go , I dint , I start to hear drops of criticism and glum coming from my husband little by little, his endless nite of reading writtings books, of this guy.
Now, 4 days ago all fall apart : I hear this guys Denver is talking to the Lord almost every day, my husband is meeting with others in secrets places, a re-baptize , loosing his priesthood to have a "true one"..and so on....
I want to you all understand this : that guy, that book is powerful. If you are single n have no children or wife , and you decide to get baptize or leave the church . do it.
But, when a man have a wife n children, and ME his wife no fallowing this guy, and no sustain my Husband ( one of the seven woman who give him the New Order of priesthood need to be the man wife) he will loose the priesthood unto me and my children are seal, and he no even going to have the new one because me!
This is no a joke. I cry my heart out ...y want to wake up from this horrible dream.

I m a convert , so that help me to no fallow ever ever again a Lider blindly. I sustain P. Monson, I know he is no perfect, I know this is no a perfect church, and no agreed in some things , but I know FOR SURE in my heart , deep inside that when I think about P. Monson I feel no darkness like I feel when my husband talk about Denver.
Dear sister, I am so sorry this has happened to you and your family as well. This appears to be the pattern - spread doubt and discord first, destroy the family second.

I must admit that if I had read such a book four months ago, I might have followed my doubts as well. As it is, when I encountered questions I couldn't answer regarding the church and it's divine calling in the last days, I decided to put my questions on hold until I could prayerfully search out the matter. The expression "Don't doubt in the dark what you learned in the light" came to me many times. In the end, I tested the fruit, prayed diligently, and regained my faith stronger than before. Almost overnight the darkness was gone and the reassurance of faith and the Spirit returned. I pray your husband may do and feel the same, for the sake of you and your children as well as his own.

ajax
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by ajax »

iWriteStuff wrote:

Dear sister, I am so sorry this has happened to you and your family as well. This appears to be the pattern - spread doubt and discord first, destroy the family second.
This happended a lot on my mission - Person converts to mormonism. Family is distraught and person shunned. Mormonism represented bad fruits for the family involved.

Or maybe this just proves that too many people are nutters about their particular brand of religion insofar that they lack tolerance and love even to the point of shunning those whom they supposedly love the most - all because of different beliefs.

Perhaps a little advice to the good sister above. Put your mormonism on the shelf for a bit, and put your best Christian foot forward. Love without measure. Accept and respect his agency and ideas as being just as valid as yours.

jbalm
The Third Comforter

Post by jbalm »

From a comedian I saw years ago (Emo Philips). Seems relevant:

Once I saw this guy on a bridge about to jump. I said, "Don't do it!"

He said, "Nobody loves me."

I said, "God loves you. Do you believe in God?"

He said, "Yes."

I said, "Are you a Christian or a Jew?"

He said, "A Christian."

I said, "Me, too! Protestant or Catholic?"

He said, "Protestant."

I said, "Me, too! What franchise?"

He said, "Baptist."

I said, "Me, too! Northern Baptist or Southern Baptist?"

He said, "Northern Baptist."

I said, "Me, too! Northern Conservative Baptist or Northern Liberal Baptist?"

He said, "Northern Conservative Baptist."

I said, "Me, too! Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region, or Northern Conservative Baptist Eastern Region?"

He said, "Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region."

I said, "Me, too! Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region Council of 1879, or Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region Council of 1912?"

He said, "Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region Council of 1912."

I said, "Die, heretic!" And I pushed him over.

Emo Philips.jpg
Emo Philips.jpg (11.1 KiB) Viewed 1471 times

AI2.0
captain of 1,000

Post by AI2.0 »

Phoenixstar117 wrote:Actually, as to being baptized again, in the new testiment there were those who were baptized by John the Baptist, but were later commanded to be baptized again by apostles of Jesus.

Does this mean that the previous baptism was not with proper authority? The same authority that was later given to Joseph Smith? I don't think so. It was a symbol of the new covenant, and they were afterword given the Holy Ghost by the Laying on of Hands.

Another example of rebaptism would be the Nephites in the visit of Jesus after the ressurection. There were countless believers that I'm sure were baptized as it was a commandment practiced among them. After Jesus apeared however, he gave new authority to Nephi(wait didn't Nephi already have authority, after all he was a prophet who preached among the people) to baptize. This again to follow the commandment of the Lord in a new covenant.

As to being rebaptized now? I don't know and that is one of the answers I'm still looking for myself, but I sure won't receive one through the church. Only through God and the Holy Ghost.
This is not the kind of rebaptism that early saints and the Nephites participated in. While I am very sorry he made this choice, I respect Tim Malone for his integrity. He knew what this baptism meant, he knew that he was going outside the authority of the LDS church for this procedure. He knew what the consequences were and he had the courage to be honest about his decision.
From his Blog: "I knew I needed to be baptized in this manner and I was not going to argue with anyone about it. Because the LDS Church considers it an act of apostasy to be baptized again, and I had no desire to argue about it, I resigned my membership. I was then free to follow the commandment of the Lord to be baptized in the correct manner, using the correct words. It was a wonderful feeling".

shadow
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by shadow »

ajax wrote:
Perhaps a little advice to the good sister above. Put your mormonism on the shelf for a bit, and put your best Christian foot forward. Love without measure. Accept and respect his agency and ideas as being just as valid as yours.
Not all ideas are valid.
This husband of hers is the one who needs to put his best Christian foot forward and shelf his Snuffer indoctrination for a while. His wife is the one with the broken heart, she's the one who's rug has been pulled out from under her. The more I think about it the more I think her husband is the selfish dweeb. To upset your spouse like that. What a sham, I mean shame.
Let the fruit fall on the ground (which it certainly will, and is doing right now as we see) and see how rotten it is before he forsakes his covenants he made to his wife. This whole movement will fail in due time as it has done many times before.

Best wishes Brokenheart. Many people look beyond the mark. This Snuffer movement is just one of many examples. May God bless, comfort, and strengthen you during this troubling time in your life.

AI2.0
captain of 1,000

Post by AI2.0 »

Jules wrote: Jeremy answered this already - the Sacrament is not about renewing or covenants.

And a little research might dispel your disbelief about multiple baptisms. :-)
Regardless of what Jeremy said, The LDS church teaches that taking the Sacrament IS renewing baptismal covenants.

There is a big difference between the early saints' rebaptism practices and what Denver Snuffer's group is doing.

Denver Snuffer declared that the LDS church no longer has authority to perform any ordinances after April 2014. Denver Snuffer said that baptisms must be performed in a certain way (which he declared the correct way) and they must be performed by a man who has been sustained by seven women, someone Denver Snuffer has in essense, authorized to have 'power' to perform this ordinance.

Therefore, the rebaptisms he is encouraging are being performed through his authority. Denver Snuffer is an excommunicated Mormon. To rank and file members of the LDS church, he has no authority to tell LDS members to do anything. The authority he welds is what he has taken upon himself(albeit he claims God gave him the authority), to encourage his followers to do what he says.

That is no difference between what Denver Snuffer is doing and what others before him have done. He's no different than James Strang encouraging his followers to be rebaptized to his specifications and not recognize Brigham Young's authority to lead the LDS church.

Those who choose to follow Denver Snuffer's edicts MUST be honest about what they are doing and not delude themselves that this is simply a rededication or renewal of commitment type of baptism.

If anyone tries to claim it is, then let them go to their Bishop or Stake President or the Mission President where they live and ASK for them to authorize their rebaptism. Because THAT is the only way that ordinance will be a renewal of LDS baptism and NOT something new.

We are very big in the church on proper priesthood authority Proper priesthood authority means sanctioned and authorized by an LDS priesthood leader who has the authority and position to grant permission. Denver Snuffer is an excommunicant. He has no authority within the LDS church to encourage this ordinance or to authorize any priesthood holder to perform this action.

As Tim Malone well knows, anyone who follow Denver's encouragement is pursuing a baptism which is considered an 'act of apostasy' and is grounds for excommunication from the LDS church. If any LDS members on this board are considering this action, they need to be completely honest about what they are doing and not be deluded into thinking this is something they can do without possible repercussions.

Jeremy
captain of 1,000

Post by Jeremy »

shadow wrote:Not all ideas are valid.
Perhaps Snuffer should require an "offering". Then it would be inline with the commandments.

AI2.0
captain of 1,000

Post by AI2.0 »

I'm so sorry this is happening to you, there is not much you can do about the choices of others--but to pray for them and pray for the guidance of the Lord to deal with it. You probably want to get counsel and support from your Bishop as well. He might be able to help reach your husband.

AI2.0
captain of 1,000

Post by AI2.0 »

jbalm wrote:"A distinction without a difference.

You fall all over one writer who claims divine communication (who is clearly pimping her book), yet insult those who prefer a different writer who claims the same thing. Is it her unabashed pursuit of profit that makes her better?

I don't know if anyone has ever left the church over something Rowe wrote, and neither do you."

iwrite stuff responded: "Again, where's the insult?"
The only 'insult' I read was the accusation that Julie Rowe was 'pimping' her book on this website--and you didn't make it.

bolded for emphasis

iWriteStuff
blithering blabbermouth

Post by iWriteStuff »

AI2.0 wrote:

I'm so sorry this is happening to you, there is not much you can do about the choices of others--but to pray for them and pray for the guidance of the Lord to deal with it. You probably want to get counsel and support from your Bishop as well. He might be able to help reach your husband.
That is what the wife of my friend has done in our ward. I knew that he had lost his faith due to the teachings of a former member of the church, but it wasn't until I talked to another friend of his in the ward that I learned the former member was DS. They've also asked a former regional 70 to visit the man and try to help him return to faith. He was a convert, and this DS thing basically destroyed his whole foundation of faith. He used to be very kind and gentle. Now he is bitter and spiteful. It's a transformation unlike any I have ever seen.

And to Ajax, his wife isn't the nag and push type. She is a returned missionary and one of the more soft spoken and gentle women I've ever met. You can see it in her face that this has crushed her and she is helpless to reach her husband in this matter. This is truly heartbreaking to watch, and you can judge from a distance based on your own experience, but up close and personal here it's like watching a flower get boot stomped.

shadow
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by shadow »

Jeremy wrote:
shadow wrote:Not all ideas are valid.
Perhaps Snuffer should require an "offering". Then it would be inline with the commandments.
Snuffer can require what he wants, it's his church, or gathering, or following or whatever. He da man @-)

rewcox
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by rewcox »

A Mormon writer might think a site named LDSFF would be a good place to have some dialog.

ajax
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by ajax »

shadow wrote:
ajax wrote:
Not all ideas are valid.
This husband of hers is the one who needs to put his best Christian foot forward and shelf his Snuffer indoctrination for a while. His wife is the one with the broken heart, she's the one who's rug has been pulled out from under her. The more I think about it the more I think her husband is the selfish dweeb. To upset your spouse like that. What a sham, I mean shame.
My spouse began to have paradigm changing thoughts years ago (non-Snuffer related, just her own spirit moving within). My heart was broken. I sooo wanted her to get back in line. My passive aggressive words and actions made her feel even worse. She felt my love was conditional. She was very hurt. I repented of that nonsense. Her thoughts, her journey IS just as valid. She was not a selfish dweeb. I controlled what happened, whether I was going to continue to be a religious nutter or simply love my spouse for the independent human she is, and not whether her ideas aligned with mine.

Of course we don't know the whole situation in the above post. Maybe the guy is being a jerk about it. Who knows. But I also know a lot of TBM Mormon jerks who ruin families as well. Jerk-ness is non-denominational.

ajax
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by ajax »

rewcox wrote:A Mormon writer might think a site named LDSFF would be a good place to have some dialog.
So dialogue then rewcox. Can you do it without calling someone a murmurer who disagrees with you?

Cowboy
captain of 100

Post by Cowboy »

rewcox wrote:Stacy, while a person may or may not agree with Denver, I think we should respect his name and call him Denver, Snuffer or DS. :)
After the disrespect lauded upon the Church Brethren by the Group, it is comical that someone is being called out for being slightly " disrespectful to Bro. Snuffer.... oh wait, no longer Bro. Snuffer.... Mr. Snuffer.

Jeremy
captain of 1,000

Post by Jeremy »

Cowboy wrote:...oh wait, no longer Bro. Snuffer.... Mr. Snuffer.
:ymhug: He is still your brother... brother.

SmallFarm
captain of 1,000

Post by SmallFarm »

Cowboy wrote:
rewcox wrote:Stacy, while a person may or may not agree with Denver, I think we should respect his name and call him Denver, Snuffer or DS. :)
After the disrespect lauded upon the Church Brethren by the Group, it is comical that someone is being called out for being slightly " disrespectful to Bro. Snuffer.... oh wait, no longer Bro. Snuffer.... Mr. Snuffer.
I would love to see this "disrespect lauded upon the brethren", you have evidence of your accusation? (I mean from anyone besides AussieOi, that problem has been corrected...)

samizdat
captain of 1,000

Post by samizdat »

Cowboy wrote:
Snuffer is a brother still, as are all of the men in the world.

A lost brother, but a brother none the less, that needs to be brought back into the fold with charity. And denounced when he attacks the Church.

ajax
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by ajax »

shadow wrote:
Stacy Oliver wrote:For a long time, people defend Snuffy by saying that he wasn't going to start a church, but was simply trying to make people more faithful. Does that argument still hold?

http://latterdaycommentary.com/2014/09/ ... beginning/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
No, not after The Snuff went down to the the church office building and went all WWF and wrested the keys.
I happened to snap a picture of it-
image.jpg
So the Church is of African origin? Irony indeed.

chemish
captain of 100

Post by chemish »

samizdat wrote:
Cowboy wrote:
Snuffer is a brother still, as are all of the men in the world.

A lost brother, but a brother none the less, that needs to be brought back into the fold with charity. And denounced when he attacks the Church.
And you're not lost brother? Last time I checked us mortals are all lost and fallen, until we are redeemed from the fall and brought back into the presence of God. Until then we are all earning the wages of sin, which is death.

No need to awake and arise and shake off the dust when you think you are really wide awake I suppose.

I am utterly lost and fallen and I suspect there is a great many who think they no longer are.

Brokenheart
Hi, I'm new.

Post by Brokenheart »

Thank you to all your replay> I never being in a chat or forum before. I have respect for Denver , as he still a Child of God. I have hard time with his so mean, so critical of us. He can used his free agency how he pleased , but encourage to others : no to attended 3 hrs. of "nonsense" time in church, if he want to expose his teaching is ok. But he knows he start to have influence , he knows that peoples is fallowing him, at list he should encourage, that as HUSBAND AND WIFE , with CHILDREN, the more precious union that Father want to saved, should do all this together or not at all.
I CANT put my Mormonism in the shelf ! I AM NOT A MORMON! Mormon is NO My GOD! I am Jesus Christ Latter Saint !...and my belief is no like a Coat, that I can take off when I want to too, and put on hold. My belief is who I am. Yes, I will love my husband even if he leave the Church. No going to give my back. But, to accept his belief I have to denied my own, HE DOES HOLD THE PRIESTHOOD ALREADY. WE are SEAL UNDER THAT KEYS , MY 8 YEARS OLD SON IS SEAL TO US, ALL UNDEAR TEH SAME SEAL. In order to have a NEW Priesthood , he have to broke the first one. AND THEM we no going to be seal together!!!...that is what broke my heart! nothing else!..he can love, talk, eat with Denver!...he will broke what hold us as ETERNAL MARRIAGE , I have no a grain of angry toward Denver, I am way to much in pain. hen I woke up this am...I haveto touch the furniture to make sure is real...or hopping that is a dream.
Suddenly , pictures of My Imperfect Beloved P. Monson can no longer be seen at home, or mention in a prayer, suddenly this community ask for the mony to pull all together and give to who ever they are givin , I cant even know where the meet or when..i cry to sleep..the more I cry..the more SPIRITUAL my husband feel, I no a blind to the weakness of the Church.
If some day P. Monson ask me to leave my husband n son because God told him so, them I will know that he is no spoken for GOD. My God would never ever ever want families fall apart. NEVER. HEAVENLY MOTHER will never let HIM do that. MY GOD want us WHOLE . UNITED. ANY ANY ANY DECITION THAT MAY AFFECT THE HUSBAND OR WIFE , SHOULD BE PUT ON HOLD until both , as ONE agree to it.

Bananikka
captain of 100

Post by Bananikka »

I'm so sorry Brokenheart :( Tu esposo, es sensible a tu tristesa? Le importa? Que te dice cuando te mira llorando? Maybe esto es personal so no tienes que contestar... Pero para intender tu situacion pregunto. Lemenablamente todos tenemos el agnecy de hacer bien o mal y decidir que y quien vamos a sequir. :( Y es muy dificil cuando una pareja no esta de acuerdo en esto. Aveces siento que tengo que jalar mi esposo a la iglesia los Domingos.. Y no es facil. Me canso! Y Yo tambien aveces necesito que me apolle y me ayude. So puedo intender un poco. Yo no se si podria quedarme con mi esposo si perdiera su fe. No se! Y lo quiero mucho. Pero tambien mi eternidad me importa muchisimo. Espero que puedas encontrar pas mientras pasas por esto. De seguro no es facil para tu hijo tampoco.. Y eso nos hace (como madres) mas dificil todavia. Estare orando por ti y te mande otro mensaje. Suerte! :ymhug: