Blogs full on anti-Mormon literature

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
wompus
captain of 100

Blogs full on anti-Mormon literature

Post by wompus »

I think i was naive when i joined this blog, not realizing there are a lot of anti-Mormons here making posts.... Essentially wolves in sheeps clothing... Of course they have a right to express their opinions.... Just realized why so many posts question some stupid comment someone said thats not official doctrine of the church....

jbalm
The Third Comforter

Re: Blogs full on anti-Mormon literature

Post by jbalm »

This isn't a blog.

mhewett
captain of 100

Post by mhewett »

wompus wrote:I think i was naive when i joined this blog, not realizing there are a lot of anti-Mormons here making posts.... Essentially wolves in sheeps clothing... Of course they have a right to express their opinions.... Just realized why so many posts question some stupid comment someone said thats not official doctrine of the church....
I know exactly what you mean. many comments I'm wondering if they are members or not. It's not hard to get the mormon lingo and all the right answers like, 'i went to byu', 'i have my food storage' or 'I went to general conference'.

I have been surprised by comments purportedly by members. As far as anti mormon literature goes, I think I have heard everything that people have ever said in negative terms about the church. Rather than think, oh my goodness, i didn't know about that! I have searched for answers and found them. I have seen a lot of anti mormon stuff and for anyone reading this, there is an answer to whatever the 'world' throws at you about mormonism. You do not need to delve into anti mormon stuff, get caught up in tangents that can lead you into false paths and away from God.

scottja
captain of 100

Post by scottja »

LDS Freedom Forum has changed over the years

wompus
captain of 100

Post by wompus »

mhewett wrote:
wompus wrote:I think i was naive when i joined this blog, not realizing there are a lot of anti-Mormons here making posts.... Essentially wolves in sheeps clothing... Of course they have a right to express their opinions.... Just realized why so many posts question some stupid comment someone said thats not official doctrine of the church....
I know exactly what you mean. many comments I'm wondering if they are members or not. It's not hard to get the mormon lingo and all the right answers like, 'i went to byu', 'i have my food storage' or 'I went to general conference'.

I have been surprised by comments purportedly by members. As far as anti mormon literature goes, I think I have heard everything that people have ever said in negative terms about the church. Rather than think, oh my goodness, i didn't know about that! I have searched for answers and found them. I have seen a lot of anti mormon stuff and for anyone reading this, there is an answer to whatever the 'world' throws at you about mormonism. You do not need to delve into anti mormon stuff, get caught up in tangents that can lead you into false paths and away from God.
Totally agree

jbalm
The Third Comforter

Post by jbalm »

Where has anyone posted or referenced any anti-Mormon literature?

Are you talking about the Journal of Discourses? Stuff from lds.org? Scriptures? The Joseph Smith Papers? Stuff from FAIR?

If that is anti-Mormon literature, then I agree...this place is full of that stuff.

DarthVernacular
captain of 100

Post by DarthVernacular »

I've been saddened to see contention outdoing edification. Trolls, instigators, mockers, cynics, and malcontents seem to work so hard to dominate every thread, when we should all be trying to edify each other, to grow in spirit, and to follow Christ, in my opinion. I'm grateful for those who are working to edify.

Obrien
Up, up and away.

Post by Obrien »

the problem with bambi's OOPS I mean wompus' premise is this: what is the definition of anti-mormon? yes there are some things that "stay the same", but several doctrines have been promulgated as essential to salvation in say 1889 that we now downplay or outright repudiate. so I guess being anti-mormon is all about timing.
oh, by the way, following the prophet, even if he is wrong, was anathema to early LDS. FTP is a modern innovation which would have been anti-mormon in 1835.
the point of all my posts is to trust in Christ, NOT the Corporation bearing his name.

boo
captain of 1,000

Post by boo »

DarthVernacular wrote:I've been saddened to see contention outdoing edification. Trolls, instigators, mockers, cynics, and malcontents seem to work so hard to dominate every thread, when we should all be trying to edify each other, to grow in spirit, and to follow Christ, in my opinion. I'm grateful for those who are working to edify.
Gee I am not sure you and I are reading the same forum. Perhaps you could give me some examples of what you mean. Thanks

DarthVernacular
captain of 100

Post by DarthVernacular »

I certainly could.

wompus
captain of 100

Post by wompus »

Obrien wrote:the point of all my posts is to trust in Christ, NOT the Corporation bearing his name.
Here's what I'm talking about... And yet he has a picture of the current prophet whos running what he despises as his avatar... A bit hypocritical you think....

jbalm
The Third Comforter

Post by jbalm »

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Obrien
Up, up and away.

Post by Obrien »

wompus - you prefer the corporation bearing his name? :(

I don't despise our PSRs. I feel sorry they have to try and lead a bunch of serial genuflectors who can't or won't seek truth unless it comes nicely correlated from Intellectual Reserve®. seeking authority over and popularity from the herd is a recurring temptation for them. modern TBMs enable and empower the PSRs by falling all over themselves to sit at their feet and hang on every word that proceedeth forth from the conference center, the ensign, and the handbook as if it were from the mouth of God.

I prefer the true doctrine of 2 Nephi 9:41 where we are encouraged to follow His path back to the gate where He is keeper, and He has no servant there. that resonates with me. that sounds like truth. that sounds like a laudable goal. that sounds like the work of a lifetime. it sounds like we must Follow the Saviour...

Obrien
Up, up and away.

Post by Obrien »

hey bambi oops I mean wompus, since you're apparently the avatar police, I thought I might run this new image past you for approval. It might not give you so much heartburn since he's not one of the big 3, and he's camouflaged somewhat in gentile garb,

click your mouse once for "ok", twice for " not ok".
Attachments
14102693079743.jpg
14102693079743.jpg (10.68 KiB) Viewed 2287 times

jbalm
The Third Comforter

Post by jbalm »

Who dat?

Obrien
Up, up and away.

Post by Obrien »

that, my buck toothed friend, is the former missionary companion on Jeffrey Holland. His name is Quentin Cook. I think he likes baseball.

wompus
captain of 100

Post by wompus »

Obrien wrote:wompus - you prefer the corporation bearing his name? :(

I don't despise our PSRs. I feel sorry they have to try and lead a bunch of serial genuflectors who can't or won't seek truth unless it comes nicely correlated from Intellectual Reserve®. seeking authority over and popularity from the herd is a recurring temptation for them. modern TBMs enable and empower the PSRs by falling all over themselves to sit at their feet and hang on every word that proceedeth forth from the conference center, the ensign, and the handbook as if it were from the mouth of God.

I prefer the true doctrine of 2 Nephi 9:41 where we are encouraged to follow His path back to the gate where He is keeper, and He has no servant there. that resonates with me. that sounds like truth. that sounds like a laudable goal. that sounds like the work of a lifetime. it sounds like we must Follow the Saviour...
I have no idea what this post means.... I believe in the Church of Jesus Christ as it was in the former days and as it is restored in our day... there's no 'criticizing' the church without criticizing it's leaders... the church isn't a corporation, it's a collection of people who run it... A corporation is a piece of paper filed with the state for tax purposes... that's it.... A business, and a church for that matter, is a group of people... if you criticize a business or a church, you are criticizing the people who run it... therefore when you criticize the church, you are criticizing the President of the church....

That's why I find you a hypocrite for criticizing the church as a business because you are criticizing the person's picture you have as your avatar.... perhaps that's your point, you're making fun of the prophet and flaunting it... The First Presidency is on the council for the disposition of the tithes, meaning Pres. Monson has a final say of how church funds are to be used... of course he doesn't make all the decisions, that would be impossible, but he helps set the budgets... the long term goals... etc...

One thing I've seen proud members of the church have a hard time with is City Creek... I've seen many proud member lose their testimony of the church over City Creek. I could give you more insight about that decision that members don't see at first... but you know the Lord said he's going to try the faith of his people and if a simple decision that the church makes, which really has no bearing on its members offends it's members... you can bet the Lord is going to make that decision every time to see who's offended by his Prophet!

wompus
captain of 100

Post by wompus »

Obrien wrote:hey bambi oops I mean wompus, since you're apparently the avatar police, I thought I might run this new image past you for approval. It might not give you so much heartburn since he's not one of the big 3, and he's camouflaged somewhat in gentile garb,

click your mouse once for "ok", twice for " not ok".
It's a free country... well it used to be a free country... we'll see that going away soon esp with obumer as prez, but use what avatar you like... I just think it's funny how you make posts against the leaders of the church, but then you post them as your avatar!

Cowboy
captain of 100

Post by Cowboy »

The original post could not have been more correct.
I would add that the site is now full of not so much " anti-Mormons ", but anti Church people.
These are people that know the lingo, the nuances, the verbage and such but are either out of fellowship or who have lost their membership.
They want to get others to doubt their faith and the worst are the rabid promoters of Snuffy Smith, The ex-Mormon they follow.
They can't get enough traction to start their own site or heaven forbid, their own Church so they hang out here.
Things surely have changed.

jockeybox
captain of 100

Post by jockeybox »

wompus wrote:One thing I've seen proud members of the church have a hard time with is City Creek... I've seen many proud member lose their testimony of the church over City Creek. I could give you more insight about that decision that members don't see at first... but you know the Lord said he's going to try the faith of his people. . .
I would love any insight that would justify the monstrosity of the mall. Please do share. Sincerely. Even of its just your opinion.

If you have some key that will unlock faith for others, please turn it and open the door so that we may be edified.

Or were you simply hinting at something that can't be backed up?

Lizzy60
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Lizzy60 »

A senior missionary on Temple Square told me they built it to attract weathy people to move to SL, who would then join the Church and start paying tithing, which would help recoup the investment. Seriously, her words, not mine.

rewcox
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by rewcox »

jockeybox wrote:
wompus wrote:One thing I've seen proud members of the church have a hard time with is City Creek... I've seen many proud member lose their testimony of the church over City Creek. I could give you more insight about that decision that members don't see at first... but you know the Lord said he's going to try the faith of his people. . .
I would love any insight that would justify the monstrosity of the mall. Please do share. Sincerely. Even of its just your opinion.

If you have some key that will unlock faith for others, please turn it and open the door so that we may be edified.

Gosh JB, you've bought the mindset hls, what will you do now?

ajax
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by ajax »

sen6b wrote:Maybe they did it to keep salt lake from turning into the gigantic dirty @#!!$@!& of a city it was becoming. I guess you mean there were lots of people down on their luck hanging around. Or to create jobs. Sounds uncomfortably political and insider-ish.

Lizzy60
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Lizzy60 »

sen6b wrote:
Lizzy60 wrote:A senior missionary on Temple Square told me they built it to attract weathy people to move to SL, who would then join the Church and start paying tithing, which would help recoup the investment. Seriously, her words, not mine.
Then that it MUST be true then....

I didn't say it was TRUE ---- I gave this as an example of the reasoning of a TBM senior missionary, as she was explaining (justifying) the expenditure for a mall and condos. Also, I did not ask her anything about the Mall. She volunteered her opinion of her own free will. She had it all figured out, I guess ;)
Last edited by Lizzy60 on September 9th, 2014, 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

ajax
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by ajax »

rewcox wrote:
jockeybox wrote:

Gosh JB, you've bought the mindset hls, what will you do now?
What mindset is that? "O babylon, O babylon we bid thee farewell...."