Is it inappropriate to pray/ask for a vision/dream/angel?

Discuss the last days, Zion, second coming, emergency preparedness, alternative health, etc.
Bananikka
captain of 100

Is it inappropriate to pray/ask for a vision/dream/angel?

Post by Bananikka »

What an awesome thing to experience, but are we wrong to ask for our own experiences? I realize whatever He wants to do He will do, I'm just wondering if its wrong to ask. Thanks!

Obrien
Up, up and away.

Re: Is it inappropriate to pray/ask for a vision/dream/angel

Post by Obrien »

No, its not wrong to ask.

bethany
captain of 100

Post by bethany »

no it is not wrong. every day ask God to bless your friends, family, etc.... ask him to have his angels watch over your family... always thank him when you see what the angels do for you.. even if it is very simple, express your gratitude. you are cultivating your relationship with them & with God & the expectation that they are with you always.

i always asked God to let the angels guide me in temple work & they did. i would always pray for people who were struggling... Father, I ask thee to authorize thine Angels to bless so & so with... (then i would list what i knew they needed... health... or pressing concerns) and he always did and still does.

boo
captain of 1,000

Post by boo »

I have a relative who when investigating the church read about the 3 Nephites and asked the Lord to send them to him so that he might know that the Book ofMormon was true. They did and taught him and he was baptized . Moroni says if we are not having these experiences it is because we lack faith Moroni7 :37. I have several living family members and close friends who have had similar experiences as have a number of regular contributors to this forum. Snuffer says the Lord always answers our righteous prayers affirmatively. Just not always on our time table. Obrien is correct ( as usual).

WarMonger
captain of 100

Post by WarMonger »

Motive is everything, if it is for curiosity, sign seeking, you don't have faith to believe and seek a vision etc. dangerous. I don't know of any person who had a vision while seeking for them including myself, every account I have ever read on visions - it caught them by surprise.

jockeybox
captain of 100

Post by jockeybox »

WarMonger wrote:I don't know of any person who had a vision while seeking for them including myself, every account I have ever read on visions - it caught them by surprise.
Nephi 11
1 For it came to pass after I had desired to know the things that my father had seen, and believing that the Lord was able to make them known unto me, as I sat pondering in mine heart I was caught away in the Spirit of the Lord, yea, into an exceedingly high mountain, which I never had before seen, and upon which I never had before set my foot.
Mosiah 3:
4 For the Lord hath heard thy prayers, and hath judged of thy righteousness, and hath sent me [an angel] to declare unto thee that thou mayest rejoice; and that thou mayest declare unto thy people, that they may also be filled with joy.
D&C 76 (Heading)
. . .it was apparent that many important points touching the salvation of man had been taken from the Bible, or lost before it was compiled. It appeared self-evident from what truths were left. . .Accordingly, … while translating St. John’s Gospel, myself and Elder Rigdon saw the following vision.”
19 And while we meditated upon these things, the Lord touched the eyes of our understandings and they were opened, and the glory of the Lord shone round about.

20 And we beheld the glory of the Son, on the right hand of the Father, and received of his fulness;

21 And saw the holy angels, and them who are sanctified before his throne, worshiping God, and the Lamb, who worship him forever and ever.
Although this isn't a vision or angel, it is applicable and some could construe as "sign seeking"..
Judges 6:
36 And Gideon said unto God, If thou wilt save Israel by mine hand, as thou hast said,
37 Behold, I will put a fleece of wool in the floor; and if the dew be on the fleece only, and it be dry upon all the earth beside, then shall I know that thou wilt save Israel by mine hand, as thou hast said.
38 And it was so: for he rose up early on the morrow, and thrust the fleece together, and wringed the dew out of the fleece, a bowl full of water.
39 And Gideon said unto God, Let not thine anger be hot against me, and I will speak but this once: let me prove, I pray thee, but this once with the fleece; let it now be dry only upon the fleece, and upon all the ground let there be dew. 40And God did so that night: for it was dry upon the fleece only, and there was dew on all the ground.
I get the impression that many of the visitations and visions come at our request, when we seek for them. We must ponder, meditate and ask for them.

In fact if we don't have faith to ask for them, Moroni gives a warning:
Moroni 7:
37 Behold I say unto you, Nay; for it is by faith that miracles are wrought; and it is by faith that angels appear and minister unto men; wherefore, if these things have ceased wo be unto the children of men, for it is because of unbelief, and all is vain.

boo
captain of 1,000

Post by boo »

WarMonger wrote:Motive is everything, if it is for curiosity, sign seeking, you don't have faith to believe and seek a vision etc. dangerous. I don't know of any person who had a vision while seeking for them including myself, every account I have ever read on visions - it caught them by surprise.
I agree that motive is everything but if your motive is pure then I believe that seeking additional knowledge through "true messengers' is not only appropriate but necessary. i think that is the true pattern taught in the endowment. If we don't seek true messengers ,if we don't seek His face we are unlikely to receive either. Heber J Grant intentionally did not seek this blessing and his wishes were fulfilled. Lorenzo Snow did ( and if we believe his granddaughters narrative) his prayers were answered. That is the pattern revealed by God. We get what we truly desire and ask for. If we don't ask we don't receive

Steve Clark
captain of 1,000

Post by Steve Clark »

The God I believe in would not be upset about asking for these things.
3rd Ne 14 wrote:9 Or what man is there of you, who, if his son ask bread, will give him a stone?

10 Or if he ask a fish, will he give him a serpent?

11 If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children, how much more shall your Father who is in heaven give good things to them that ask him?
James 1:5 wrote:If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.

brianne541
captain of 100

Post by brianne541 »

WarMonger wrote:Motive is everything, if it is for curiosity, sign seeking, you don't have faith to believe and seek a vision etc. dangerous. I don't know of any person who had a vision while seeking for them including myself, every account I have ever read on visions - it caught them by surprise.

Absolutely agree. In 2012 I was earnestly seeking the Lord's guidance in my life, and also where my family were meant to be. I was praying to know whether we were to stay in the area we were, or if we were to look in other areas to plant roots for our family. I was shocked when I started having dreams of the area where we use to live. It was completely unexpected, and not the answer I was looking for.

So I agree that if asking for revelation is just for curiosities sake, then I don't know that the Lord will reveal too much? But if you are truly seeking his guidance and direction, and he knows that it will benefit you to receive revelation in that way, then I believe he will show you what is best for the benefit of your soul. He knows what's best for us, and will never want to bring an element of fear into our lives (he knows whether a dream of end times will scare you or not). In every one of my dreams I was never afraid. I always felt calm and at peace, even tho it felt as though my dream was real, and I was seeing things that could have disturbed or frightened me, I never had any fear. In fact in one dream, I even remember thinking "I will either die and be with Jesus, or I will survive and be changed". So there was never fear during my dreams. The Father knows us individually, and he knows what will benefit us. :D If your desires are righteous then I truly believe in the statement "Ask and ye shall receive". :ymhug:

2BFree
captain of 100

Post by 2BFree »

Joseph had pure motive as we all should if we are to desire "further light and knowledge" from the Lord's servants.
29 In consequence of these things, I often felt condemned for my weakness and imperfections; when, on the evening of the above-mentioned twenty-first of September, after I had retired to my bed for the night, I betook myself to prayer and supplication to Almighty God for forgiveness of all my sins and follies, and also for a manifestation to me, that I might know of my state and standing before him; for I had full confidence in obtaining a divine manifestation, as I previously had one.

30 While I was thus in the act of calling upon God, I discovered a light appearing in my room, which continued to increase until the room was lighter than at noonday, when immediately a personage appeared at my bedside, standing in the air, for his feet did not touch the floor.

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

I once stayed awake all night one night praying for an angel to appear. I finally went to bed at 6:30 when nothing happened. I was quite disappointed. But even though I didn't see an angel, the Lord turned the experience to my good and I learned important lessons from it.

No matter what, even you are making a mistake, the Lord will use whatever you do for your benefit if you continue to look to him. That goes for asking for angels or visions as well.

Cocoaberry
captain of 10

Post by Cocoaberry »

boo wrote:I have a relative who when investigating the church read about the 3 Nephites and asked the Lord to send them to him so that he might know that the Book ofMormon was true. They did and taught him and he was baptized . Moroni says if we are not having these experiences it is because we lack faith Moroni7 :37. I have several living family members and close friends who have had similar experiences as have a number of regular contributors to this forum. Snuffer says the Lord always answers our righteous prayers affirmatively. Just not always on our time table. Obrien is correct ( as usual).
Amazing!! I'd love to hear the story but understand if it's not something you're able to share.

Cocoaberry
captain of 10

Post by Cocoaberry »

I'm not familiar wth the story Of Heber J Grant, could you explain a little bit?

WarMonger
captain of 100

Post by WarMonger »

There are a few things in play here: Yes we can receive visitations and visions - we should be prompted by the spirit for such. Had a missionary companion (he had one month left on mission) who struggled with his testimony said he never felt the spirit tell him the BoM/Church was true - Mission president gave him D&C 64:14. He tried for 2 years to force a spiritual experience and failed.

First: The greatest testimony we receive is through the HG - not even a personal visit by the Messiah.
Doctrine and Covenants 6:23 Did I not speak peace to your mind concerning the matter? What greater witness can you have than from God?

Second: the HG should guide our prayers - Often God want to give us some wisdom and the HG will prompt us in our prayers to say something that will lead to further revelation.
Romans 8:26 Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.

Third: A lot of the examples given here of visitation and visions given related to a persons mission and responsibility - there calling as Prophet etc.

Fourth: Gifts of the spirit as not all have all gifts:
13 To some it is given by the Holy Ghost to know that Jesus Christ is the Son of God, and that he was crucified for the sins of the world.
14 To others it is given to believe on their words, that they also might have eternal life if they continue faithful.
....21 And again, to some is given the working of miracles;

Fith: Visions and visitations have little impact on our spiritual progress we need is the scriptures and HG is the most important - In this life we walk by faith not prefect knowledge.

2Nephi 32: 2 Do ye not remember that I said unto you that after ye had received the Holy Ghost ye could speak with the tongue of angels? And now, how could ye speak with the tongue of angels save it were by the Holy Ghost?
3 Angels speak by the power of the Holy Ghost; wherefore, they speak the words of Christ. Wherefore, I said unto you, feast upon the words of Christ; for behold, the words of Christ will tell you all things what ye should do.

OnGoing
captain of 50

Post by OnGoing »

boo wrote:I have a relative who when investigating the church read about the 3 Nephites and asked the Lord to send them to him so that he might know that the Book ofMormon was true. They did and taught him and he was baptized .
WOW, that is AWESOME!!! Did he get any names? :D I have always wondered how they live but I figure they travel here & there by the spirit, have clothing appear on their bodies as needed, etc. without any worry at all.

boo
captain of 1,000

Post by boo »

OnGoing wrote:
boo wrote:I have a relative who when investigating the church read about the 3 Nephites and asked the Lord to send them to him so that he might know that the Book ofMormon was true. They did and taught him and he was baptized .
WOW, that is AWESOME!!! Did he get any names? :D I have always wondered how they live but I figure they travel here & there by the spirit, have clothing appear on their bodies as needed, etc. without any worry at all.
No names so far as I know. He was rebuked for the light way he had treated some previous experiences he had had with the Holy Ghost and was told of the condemnation that awaited him if he should fail to live faithfully to the great light he had received

boo
captain of 1,000

Post by boo »

WarMonger while I agree with much of what you say I disagree with your interpretation of D&C 6;23. i know this was taught by Joseph Feilding Smith and his son in law Bruce McConkie but I am reasonably sure they were and you are wrong. There is nothing clear and unambiguous in their writings that indicate they were in a position to accurately judge this. As others have observed ( Denver Snuffer) only someone who had not had theses experiences would make such a claim. It is true that angelic visitations may not produce faith but neither necessarily does feeling the holy ghost . Lots of investigators feel the workings of the Spirit but don't end up baptized. Everyone I know who has been the recipient of an angelic visitation and also of receiving a witness via the Holy Ghost will say ,I think , that the witness of the visitation was the greater. Perhaps you should do a poll because there are many here who have had that experience.

jockeybox
captain of 100

Post by jockeybox »

WarMonger wrote: First: The greatest testimony we receive is through the HG - not even a personal visit by the Messiah.
Doctrine and Covenants 6:23 Did I not speak peace to your mind concerning the matter? What greater witness can you have than from God?
This is completely false. Have you ever entertained angles or the Savior in order to compare and contrast these two? If not, hold judgement until you have revceived both. I'm not denying that when the Lords spirit speaks to our spirit (which is holy) that it isn't powerful. But you are not going to convince me it's more powerful than the Savior taking his abode with us. There is a reason why the Brother of Jared has some of the greatest faith of all. He gives a perfect example of how we can approach the savior. And in return the Savior will part the veil and approach us.
WarMonger wrote:Second: the HG should guide our prayers - Often God want to give us some wisdom and the HG will prompt us in our prayers to say something that will lead to further revelation.
Romans 8:26 Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.
Not sure why you mentioned this, but I have no issue with it.
WarMonger wrote:Third: A lot of the examples given here of visitation and visions given related to a persons mission and responsibility - there calling as Prophet etc.
Does it matter whether they are called as prophets or not? Are you stating these type of experiences are mainly for those getting prophetic callings from the Lord? Does that somehow weaken the lesson or pattern shown in scripture? If the Lord is willing to show these things to Joseph, then a fair and just God will show it unto the least. . .which is the company I place myself.
WarMonger wrote:Fourth: Gifts of the spirit as not all have all gifts:
13 To some it is given by the Holy Ghost to know that Jesus Christ is the Son of God, and that he was crucified for the sins of the world.
14 To others it is given to believe on their words, that they also might have eternal life if they continue faithful.
....21 And again, to some is given the working of miracles;
I agree with this scripture. However, don't stop at just believing on others words. Move onward and up, to a brighter day and a greater light. Don't limit God on what he is willing to dispense to you.
WarMonger wrote:Fith: Visions and visitations have little impact on our spiritual progress we need is the scriptures and HG is the most important - In this life we walk by faith not prefect knowledge.
As I said previous, I would withhold judgement until you've experienced this so you can verify. YOu are correct, just seeing an angel won't change you if you don't want to be changed. However, to say it's not important seems to really lesson the power and affect it can have. Alma referred to his experience a couple times in the scriptures. It seemed to have a profound affect on him.

boo
captain of 1,000

Post by boo »

Other examples are Paul on the road to Damascus, Joseph in the first vision and in the case of Moroni's visit , the father of Lamoni , the 12 apostles following the crucifixion , the Lamanites in Helaman 5. Each of these people were profoundly altered spiritually by their experience . I suspect if you kept count the only people who weren't changed were Laman and Lemuel yet they are always held up as the proof of this faulty proposition . Actually i think we have swallowed too much false doctrine from apostate groups like the Correlation committee . WarMonger's view is what passes as the orthodox view today but the scriptures teach otherwise .

Army Of Truth
captain of 1,000

Post by Army Of Truth »

jockeybox wrote:
WarMonger wrote:I don't know of any person who had a vision while seeking for them including myself, every account I have ever read on visions - it caught them by surprise.
Nephi 11
1 For it came to pass after I had desired to know the things that my father had seen, and believing that the Lord was able to make them known unto me, as I sat pondering in mine heart I was caught away in the Spirit of the Lord, yea, into an exceedingly high mountain, which I never had before seen, and upon which I never had before set my foot.
Mosiah 3:
4 For the Lord hath heard thy prayers, and hath judged of thy righteousness, and hath sent me [an angel] to declare unto thee that thou mayest rejoice; and that thou mayest declare unto thy people, that they may also be filled with joy.
D&C 76 (Heading)
. . .it was apparent that many important points touching the salvation of man had been taken from the Bible, or lost before it was compiled. It appeared self-evident from what truths were left. . .Accordingly, … while translating St. John’s Gospel, myself and Elder Rigdon saw the following vision.”
19 And while we meditated upon these things, the Lord touched the eyes of our understandings and they were opened, and the glory of the Lord shone round about.

20 And we beheld the glory of the Son, on the right hand of the Father, and received of his fulness;

21 And saw the holy angels, and them who are sanctified before his throne, worshiping God, and the Lamb, who worship him forever and ever.
Although this isn't a vision or angel, it is applicable and some could construe as "sign seeking"..
Judges 6:
36 And Gideon said unto God, If thou wilt save Israel by mine hand, as thou hast said,
37 Behold, I will put a fleece of wool in the floor; and if the dew be on the fleece only, and it be dry upon all the earth beside, then shall I know that thou wilt save Israel by mine hand, as thou hast said.
38 And it was so: for he rose up early on the morrow, and thrust the fleece together, and wringed the dew out of the fleece, a bowl full of water.
39 And Gideon said unto God, Let not thine anger be hot against me, and I will speak but this once: let me prove, I pray thee, but this once with the fleece; let it now be dry only upon the fleece, and upon all the ground let there be dew. 40And God did so that night: for it was dry upon the fleece only, and there was dew on all the ground.
I get the impression that many of the visitations and visions come at our request, when we seek for them. We must ponder, meditate and ask for them.
In fact if we don't have faith to ask for them, Moroni gives a warning:
Moroni 7:
37 Behold I say unto you, Nay; for it is by faith that miracles are wrought; and it is by faith that angels appear and minister unto men; wherefore, if these things have ceased wo be unto the children of men, for it is because of unbelief, and all is vain.
Thank you jockeybox!!! :) :-BD :ymhug:

I'm sure everyone else already saw what I just saw but I just learned that we CAN and SHOULD pray for miracles and signs (assuming they are all for righteous purposes). I always assumed #-o that I will never receive a sign/vision/angelic visitation because who am I to receive a witness but a small lowly insignificant speck of sand? But these scriptures tell me (through the Spirit) that I need to have faith and ask for signs/miricles because they have NOT ceased. I know this is small potatoes to most here but this is an eye opener for me. I now have a better understanding of praying and asking for a vision/dream/sign etc. God bless you!

Anxiously preparing
captain of 10

Post by Anxiously preparing »

boo wrote:WarMonger while I agree with much of what you say I disagree with your interpretation of D&C 6;23. i know this was taught by Joseph Feilding Smith and his son in law Bruce McConkie but I am reasonably sure they were and you are wrong. There is nothing clear and unambiguous in their writings that indicate they were in a position to accurately judge this. As others have observed ( Denver Snuffer) only someone who had not had theses experiences would make such a claim. It is true that angelic visitations may not produce faith but neither necessarily does feeling the holy ghost . Lots of investigators feel the workings of the Spirit but don't end up baptized. Everyone I know who has been the recipient of an angelic visitation and also of receiving a witness via the Holy Ghost will say ,I think , that the witness of the visitation was the greater. Perhaps you should do a poll because there are many here who have had that experience.
I don't agree with you. Lamam an Lemuel had angelic visitations and that did not change them. Angelic visitations and other spectacular occurrences do not bring conversion. Even Alma, who saw an angel, became converted only after he “fasted and prayed many days” for a witness of the truth (Alma 5:46). And Paul, who saw the resurrected Savior, taught that “no man can say that Jesus is the Lord, but by the Holy Ghost” (1 Corinthians 12:3).

boo
captain of 1,000

Post by boo »

Anxiously preparing wrote:
boo wrote:WarMonger while I agree with much of what you say I disagree with your interpretation of D&C 6;23. i know this was taught by Joseph Feilding Smith and his son in law Bruce McConkie but I am reasonably sure they were and you are wrong. There is nothing clear and unambiguous in their writings that indicate they were in a position to accurately judge this. As others have observed ( Denver Snuffer) only someone who had not had theses experiences would make such a claim. It is true that angelic visitations may not produce faith but neither necessarily does feeling the holy ghost . Lots of investigators feel the workings of the Spirit but don't end up baptized. Everyone I know who has been the recipient of an angelic visitation and also of receiving a witness via the Holy Ghost will say ,I think , that the witness of the visitation was the greater. Perhaps you should do a poll because there are many here who have had that experience.
I don't agree with you. Lamam an Lemuel had angelic visitations and that did not change them. Angelic visitations and other spectacular occurrences do not bring conversion. Even Alma, who saw an angel, became converted only after he “fasted and prayed many days” for a witness of the truth (Alma 5:46). And Paul, who saw the resurrected Savior, taught that “no man can say that Jesus is the Lord, but by the Holy Ghost” (1 Corinthians 12:3).
If you will look at my post of 11:57 you will see I dealt with Laman and Lemuel. I could I think clearly demonstrate why your citations are in apposite but I suspect it would not do any good. Pray earnestly for the experience and when you have had it you can judge for yourself. With all due respect until you have had it you are like those who deny the power of any spiritual phenomenon simply because they have never experienced it themselves .

Elias Returns
captain of 100

Post by Elias Returns »

Bananikka wrote:What an awesome thing to experience, but are we wrong to ask for our own experiences? I realize whatever He wants to do He will do, I'm just wondering if its wrong to ask. Thanks!
I testify to you and all others here, that it is not only acceptable, but it is strongly desired.

Anxiously preparing
captain of 10

Post by Anxiously preparing »

boo wrote:
If you will look at my post of 11:57 you will see I dealt with Laman and Lemuel. I could I think clearly demonstrate why your citations are in apposite but I suspect it would not do any good. Pray earnestly for the experience and when you have had it you can judge for yourself. With all due respect until you have had it you are like those who deny the power of any spiritual phenomenon simply because they have never experienced it themselves .
Don't you think you will need the Holy Ghost to tell you where the angels are from. I am not saying being ministered to by Angels would not change a person but you need the Holy Ghost too. The Holy Ghost is what testifies and changes a persons heart.

boo
captain of 1,000

Post by boo »

Don't you think you will need the Holy Ghost to tell you where the angels are from. I am not saying being ministered to by Angels would not change a person but you need the Holy Ghost too. The Holy Ghost is what testifies and changes a persons heart.
Ah how easy it is for these threads to get off track. Sort of like that old parlor game "telephone" . I know I am dating myself. My original comment was in response to the view most authoritatively put forth by Joseph Fielding Smith that the strongest possible testimony came via the witness of the holy Ghost and that would be more enduring than even receiving a visit from the Savior or an angel. I don't deny the importance of the work of the holy ghost but I maintain that if you have had those experiences you know that they are more powerful and more enduring than even a 'burning in the bosom". I personally strongly suspect Pres Smith did not know from personal experience what he was talking about . I visited with him on multiple occasions and even had discussions on gospel issues with him and have read almost everything he wrote.I am not aware of him ever claiming angelic visitations much less a vision of the Savior. He was still a wonderful guy but just happened to teach false doctrine sometimes