The Doctrine of Follow the Prophet

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
Epistemology
captain of 100

Re: The Doctrine of Follow the Prophet

Post by Epistemology »

I think its important to "receive" the prophets and follow their guidance but not lean on the prophets. All of us should seek like Nephi to learn about God and know Him on or own merits. I don't want to repeat what you guys have all ready said so I'll just add a few things here.

1. My belief is it is important to listen to the prophet and follow his guidance because God has established this pattern already. It's an established fact of the plan, hence the historical precedence of prophets in the scriptures.
2. prophets will receive certain information from God first no matter how much we learn or know because that is the order of things. And that is organization IMHO. For example, God gave JS the scriptures first and then we were to listen to him and his teachings and this book he is offering from God. God didn't give it the BOM to individuals once they were ready for it, it came first to the prophet. and then other information followed. That pattern has been since Adam and continues.

all I have time for I may add more later

creator
(of the Forum)

Post by creator »

clarkkent14 wrote:It's not a question if prophets are needed, it's are we to "follow them."
A while back I did a search in the scriptures to get an idea of what is written about following (mainly searching the Book of Mormon and Doctrine & Covenants). I searched for terms such as "follow" and "heed".

I found hundreds of references to following Jesus Christ / the Lord.

The few references regarding prophets & church leaders were some references to giving heed (or hearken) (i.e. pay attention to, take notice of, listen to).

Heed is different than follow.

My study of the scriptures leads me to believe that it is appropriate to heed the words of the Lord's prophets/messengers and to follow the Lord. The prophets are supposed to point to Christ anyways... In the Book of Mormon it's clear they defined "prophets" as those who were delivering a message they received from the Lord.

This focus just feels right to me (and it's what the scriptures led me to believe)... that we might heed a man/woman who is delivering the Lord's message and that we follow the Lord.

laronius
captain of 100

Post by laronius »

Epistemology wrote:I think its important to "receive" the prophets and follow their guidance but not lean on the prophets. All of us should seek like Nephi to learn about God and know Him on or own merits. I don't want to repeat what you guys have all ready said so I'll just add a few things here.

1. My belief is it is important to listen to the prophet and follow his guidance because God has established this pattern already. It's an established fact of the plan, hence the historical precedence of prophets in the scriptures.
2. prophets will receive certain information from God first no matter how much we learn or know because that is the order of things. And that is organization IMHO. For example, God gave JS the scriptures first and then we were to listen to him and his teachings and this book he is offering from God. God didn't give it the BOM to individuals once they were ready for it, it came first to the prophet. and then other information followed. That pattern has been since Adam and continues.

Epistemology - I agree with you though I would like to qualify your second point a bit. I think when it comes to "doctrines," especially those that affect our eternal progression, God will give us those things as fast as we are ready to receive them. But in terms of the building up of the kingdom of God and its administering of ordinances, yes, that is the purview of the prophet, since it is outside of our stewardship.

Robert Sinclair
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robert Sinclair »

This much I can tell you were it not for the words of Jeremiah chapter 23 and we're it not for the words of Enoch in the book of Enoch warning about the blind sheep and the twelve and seventy shepherds that destroyed the sheep and the words of Mormon and Moroni and Ether and Zenos and Isaiah and Micah and Malachi and Hosea and Joel and Jesus Christ himself I would not be here on this thread believe me. I would still be following along singing all is well all is well with most if not almost all of the faithful Saints. But remember also that power of the Beast given him to overcome the Saints because of ignorance. So it is written.
I labor even at this time to fast and pray for the leaders as well as the flocks as I wish to see none suffer at his coming ( http://bloodmoonscoming.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. ). This time soon approaches and the foolish virgins and unwise sons and silly doves of the house of Ephraim still are not yet ready. The wedding invitation they have refused to answer and come, as has been requested. I will labor to fast and pray until conference comes and hope I fail not. ♡

Epistemology
captain of 100

Post by Epistemology »

3. prophets clear up any confusion. we should all probably agree without a prophet personal interpretation creates disagreements. As we see on this forum, people of the same religion disagree on interpretation of scripture and claim the HG has given them the truth. The scriptures alone can't work because we cant handle it.
4. Prophets. Temple. Adam. Order. Think about that concept.
5. I think living prophets are as important as scripture and in certain instances can be more important and in certain instances less. for example, we have the luxury of having the Bible and BOM and DC all testifying of Christ and His gospel. So we can use those to check our living leaders when needed. Conversely, using those same scriptures, those prophets and people at times had little to no scriptures or limited scriptures, thus relying on the living prophet. the scriptures never told the people to leave Jerusalem or build an ark or how to light the vessels or to go back to get the plates from Laban or... I could give a 100 more examples of information coming to prophets in the scriptures that the scriptures didn't have in them. What does our future hold? It is vital we have this same conduit as Laronius said to relay those types of messages to us.

So yes, IMHO, we follow the prophet as he relays info to us from God that we cannot get on or own.
Last edited by Epistemology on August 25th, 2014, 7:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Epistemology
captain of 100

Post by Epistemology »

laronius wrote:
Epistemology wrote:I think its important to "receive" the prophets and follow their guidance but not lean on the prophets. All of us should seek like Nephi to learn about God and know Him on or own merits. I don't want to repeat what you guys have all ready said so I'll just add a few things here.

Epistemology - I agree with you though I would like to qualify your second point a bit. I think when it comes to "doctrines," especially those that affect our eternal progression, God will give us those things as fast as we are ready to receive them. But in terms of the building up of the kingdom of God and its administering of ordinances, yes, that is the purview of the prophet, since it is outside of our stewardship.

yes I think we agree here. although we first learn doctrines from prophets, scriptures (which are words of prophets) first. Then build from there once we learn more and know how to seek. JS learned how to seek from a prophet in the scriptures because that's all he knew how to do at the time.

BroJones
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by BroJones »

I believe in following Jesus -- He is the great Exemplar that I follow.

But FWIW, there is an article in the
April 2014 Ensign, "Follow the Prophet", which says
Following the Prophet’s Example
I would like to suggest five ways we can follow the example of President Monson.(read on if you wish to)

Robert Sinclair
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robert Sinclair »

Let me ask all of you this.

Do you believe you can petition the prophet to please let us return to keep the United Order or Law of Consecration of giving Covenants and Deeds into the hands of the poor?

Is this lawful or is their a way or manner without upsetting the balance of power and authority given that office?

Does anyone know how it works? I know his house is a house of order and their must be a way. Who knows maybe they are waiting for the people to ask?

Gideon
captain of 100

Post by Gideon »

clarkkent14 wrote:
Gideon wrote:First, you need to define the "doctrine". I will define it this way: Follow the counsel and direction that the Lord gives to his people through his living prophet. Before I make my case, I will say that whenever the Lord has had dealings with his children on earth he has had prophets. And, just as often as he has had prophets there have been those who have hated, mocked and killed them.

The Lord set the precedent with Joseph Smith:

4 Wherefore, meaning the church, thou shalt give heed unto all his words and commandments which he shall give unto you as he receiveth them, walking in all holiness before me;
5 For his word ye shall receive, as if from mine own mouth, in all patience and faith.
6 For by doing these things the gates of hell shall not prevail against you; yea, and the Lord God will disperse the powers of darkness from before you, and cause the heavens to shake for your good, and his name’s glory.
(Doctrine and Covenants 21:4–6)

The argument can easily be made that this only applies to Joseph. If you continue reading, it continues to speak about specifics of Joseph's life. Plus we are told we would have His word through Joseph (D&C 5:10)

The prophet presides over the whole church, he is like Moses:

91 And again, the duty of the President of the office of the High Priesthood is to preside over the whole church, and to be like unto Moses—
92 Behold, here is wisdom; yea, to be a seer, a revelator, a translator, and a prophet, having all the gifts of God which he bestows upon the head of the church.
(Doctrine and Covenants 107:91–92)

Just because they sit in "Moses seat" doesn't mean they will automatically have all of these qualifications.

12 O be wise; what can I say more?
(Jacob 6:12)
In fact, look at those who sat in his seat at the time of Christ:

1 Then spake Jesus to the multitude, and to his disciples,
2 Saying, The scribes and the Pharisees sit in Moses’ seat:
3 All therefore whatsoever they bid you observe, that observe and do; but do not ye after their works: for they say, and do not.

If the Lord honored their agency and allowed them to sit in that seat, why would it be any different now?

Also, If you are called to be a bishop, or stake president, or any other calling, do you automatically assume the gifts and talents of the previous occupant? Do you automatically assume gifts and talents that are part of that calling? Are they to be developed?
Sitting in Moses' seat is not even close to being like Moses. Did those who sat in his seat have the spirit of revelation or the power that Moses had?

What about the works of the First Presidency and the Twelve? Are they like Caiaphas and his cronies? Did they travel all over the world to build up the Kingdom of God like the modern apostles and prophets do? I remember it was reported that in one year President Hinckley gave 238 addresses, how many of his critics have given that many during their entire lives?

The 15 have sacrificed their lives for this work. They teach, testify, train, manage, and extend callings all over the world, even in bad health they drag themselves to General Conference to speak.

They also have the task of managing tens of thousands of church units, over 30,000 the last I heard. That includes thousands of buildings.
And then they have made sure that there are temples within 200 miles of 80% of the church members. Do you know what it takes to manage just one temple? There are about 140 now.

And, don't forget the missionaries. They have to see to it that the gospel goes to the end of the earth, and they have to call and train the mission presidents. And they do much, much more.

Are you are suggesting that they "say and do not"? I wonder how anyone would go about proving that?

The First Presidency and the Twelve are all flawed mortals, but they don't have any peers among their critics.

You could make the argument that those verses in D&C 21 only refer to Joseph, it wouldn't be the first time I have heard that. However, you could also make the argument that it applies to his legal successors, a much easier argument to defend, I think.

Do people who serve in callings automatically assume the gifts that come with that calling? If they are worthy, yes. Can they be developed, yes.

I have had to testify often to Protestants that we have prophets today, it is strange to have to do the same with Latter-day Saints. Truly, we are in the last hours.

clarkkent14
LBFOJ

Post by clarkkent14 »

Gideon wrote:
clarkkent14 wrote:
Gideon wrote:First, you need to define the "doctrine". I will define it this way: Follow the counsel and direction that the Lord gives to his people through his living prophet. Before I make my case, I will say that whenever the Lord has had dealings with his children on earth he has had prophets. And, just as often as he has had prophets there have been those who have hated, mocked and killed them.

The Lord set the precedent with Joseph Smith:

4 Wherefore, meaning the church, thou shalt give heed unto all his words and commandments which he shall give unto you as he receiveth them, walking in all holiness before me;
5 For his word ye shall receive, as if from mine own mouth, in all patience and faith.
6 For by doing these things the gates of hell shall not prevail against you; yea, and the Lord God will disperse the powers of darkness from before you, and cause the heavens to shake for your good, and his name’s glory.
(Doctrine and Covenants 21:4–6)

The argument can easily be made that this only applies to Joseph. If you continue reading, it continues to speak about specifics of Joseph's life. Plus we are told we would have His word through Joseph (D&C 5:10)

The prophet presides over the whole church, he is like Moses:

91 And again, the duty of the President of the office of the High Priesthood is to preside over the whole church, and to be like unto Moses—
92 Behold, here is wisdom; yea, to be a seer, a revelator, a translator, and a prophet, having all the gifts of God which he bestows upon the head of the church.
(Doctrine and Covenants 107:91–92)

Just because they sit in "Moses seat" doesn't mean they will automatically have all of these qualifications.

12 O be wise; what can I say more?
(Jacob 6:12)
In fact, look at those who sat in his seat at the time of Christ:

1 Then spake Jesus to the multitude, and to his disciples,
2 Saying, The scribes and the Pharisees sit in Moses’ seat:
3 All therefore whatsoever they bid you observe, that observe and do; but do not ye after their works: for they say, and do not.

If the Lord honored their agency and allowed them to sit in that seat, why would it be any different now?

Also, If you are called to be a bishop, or stake president, or any other calling, do you automatically assume the gifts and talents of the previous occupant? Do you automatically assume gifts and talents that are part of that calling? Are they to be developed?
Sitting in Moses' seat is not even close to being like Moses. Did those who sat in his seat have the spirit of revelation or the power that Moses had? I think we're talking past each other or misunderstanding. You said, "The Lord set the precedent with Joseph Smith:" You then quoted D&C 21:4-6. I assumed you were saying that those who sit in Moses seat need to be followed. I was only pointing out that those who sat in the same seat during the time of Christ were lead astray themselves. So Thomas S. Monson does not assume everything that Joseph had, nor does it automatically make him righteous or infallible. The precedent in scripture shows they will become something other than a prophet, seer, and revelator. It's not a comment on current leaders.

What about the works of the First Presidency and the Twelve? Are they like Caiaphas and his cronies? Did they travel all over the world to build up the Kingdom of God like the modern apostles and prophets do? I remember it was reported that in one year President Hinckley gave 238 addresses, how many of his critics have given that many during their entire lives?Again, I wasn't comparing our modern leaders to those at the time of Christ, just saying those who hold the position can and will fall, be led astray, and potentially be evil enough to crucify their God. It's just one point or argument that goes against the idea of "Follow the Prophet" or "Follow the person sitting in Moses' seat."

The 15 have sacrificed their lives for this work. They teach, testify, train, manage, and extend callings all over the world, even in bad health they drag themselves to General Conference to speak. I don't argue against that. I'm sure they do a lot of good. That's not helping the argument though. It has been said that there are none good but one. (Luke 18:19)

They also have the task of managing tens of thousands of church units, over 30,000 the last I heard. That includes thousands of buildings.
And then they have made sure that there are temples within 200 miles of 80% of the church members. Do you know what it takes to manage just one temple? There are about 140 now. I'm not sure why you are so upset and defending them? I don't doubt this is difficult to do. I don't envy them. I wouldn't want to be responsible for that stuff. However, it's not the matter at hand. I'm looking for solid evidence to support the doctrine they openly and loudly teach. i.e. Follow the Prophet.

And, don't forget the missionaries. They have to see to it that the gospel goes to the end of the earth, and they have to call and train the mission presidents. And they do much, much more. I haven't doubted that. Not sure why you are bringing all of this up.

Are you are suggesting that they "say and do not"? I wonder how anyone would go about proving that? No. Answered above.

The First Presidency and the Twelve are all flawed mortals, but they don't have any peers among their critics.

You could make the argument that those verses in D&C 21 only refer to Joseph, it wouldn't be the first time I have heard that. However, you could also make the argument that it applies to his legal successors, a much easier argument to defend, I think.Have you read the section? Look at the header: "1–3, Joseph Smith is called to be a seer, translator, prophet, apostle, and elder; 4–8, His word will guide the cause of Zion; 9–12, The Saints will believe his words as he speaks by the Comforter." It's about Joseph.

Do people who serve in callings automatically assume the gifts that come with that calling? If they are worthy, yes. Can they be developed, yes.

I have had to testify often to Protestants that we have prophets today, it is strange to have to do the same with Latter-day Saints. Truly, we are in the last hours.
You need to read a little more thorough as to what I write. You completely misunderstood what I was saying. All I'm asking is for evidence of this doctrine. It has yet to be done. Nobody is making a good case.

mhewett
captain of 100

Post by mhewett »

DrJones wrote:I believe in following Jesus -- He is the great Exemplar that I follow.

But FWIW, there is an article in the
April 2014 Ensign, "Follow the Prophet", which says
Following the Prophet’s Example
I would like to suggest five ways we can follow the example of President Monson.(read on if you wish to)

Also August 2014, "When I Followed the Prophets, I Found....."

2BFree
captain of 100

Post by 2BFree »

I believe the real question we should all consider is the notion that the prophet "will never lead us astray" which is a doctrine without any basis whatsoever but is constantly reinforced by the curriculum and the members. This is why the mantra of "follow the prophet" is so dangerous in our day...because it replaces the Lord with the "arm of the flesh" thus removing the responsibility we have to "seek the Lord".

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

clarkkent14 wrote:Nobody is making a good case.
How about...paying tribute to a minister or ministers of God?
Romans 13:2-7

2 Whosoever therefore resisteth the power, resisteth the ordinance of God: and they that resist shall receive to themselves damnation.
3 For rulers are not a terror to good works, but to the evil. Wilt thou then not be afraid of the power? do that which is good, and thou shalt have praise of the same:
4 For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil.
5 Wherefore ye must needs be subject, not only for wrath, but also for conscience sake.
6 For for this cause pay ye tribute also: for they are God’s ministers, attending continually upon this very thing.
7 Render therefore to all their dues: tribute to whom tribute is due; custom to whom custom; fear to whom fear; honour to whom honour.

SamFisher
captain of 100

Post by SamFisher »

The Lord established the Gospel through Joseph Smith, but it didn't end there. It is a living entity, constantly inspired, and it would have gone off the rails long ago, losing the Spirit, if it were anything other than what it purports to be.

Diminish the GAs at your own peril. The Lord instituted his church for the purpose of administering the gospel to the living and the dead, to accomplish the mission. Therefore, he has set in place inspired servants to accomplish that goal, from the Prophet down to the bishop, even down to the deacon. It is our duty, our development as members, to assist our leaders to that end. It requires selfless service and sacrifice. Getting in line behind the leaders can be the most difficult aspect of the church, because they're human, and it requires a lot from us.

Life in this gospel has taught me that those who reject our leaders are those looking for an out--an out from tithing, an out from the work of a calling...they exhibit a disturbing lack of faith. To assume we follow the prophet at the expense of following the Lord is to wholly misunderstand the gospel. In my opinion, when you reject your leaders you're rejecting the will of the Lord, and therefor the Lord himself.

ajax
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by ajax »

SamFisher wrote:Life in this gospel has taught me that those who reject our leaders are those looking for an out--an out from tithing, an out from the work of a calling...they exhibit a disturbing lack of faith.
That's BS SamFisher, PURE BS.

Just sayin' ;)

Lizzy60
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Lizzy60 »

ajax wrote:
SamFisher wrote:Life in this gospel has taught me that those who reject our leaders are those looking for an out--an out from tithing, an out from the work of a calling...they exhibit a disturbing lack of faith.
That's BS SamFisher, PURE BS.

Just sayin' ;)

I was going to say much the same thing, but I don't have ajax's command of the English language, so thanks, ajax for saying it for me!!!

clarkkent14
LBFOJ

Post by clarkkent14 »

SamFisher wrote:The Lord established the Gospel through Joseph Smith, but it didn't end there. It is a living entity, constantly inspired, and it would have gone off the rails long ago, losing the Spirit, if it were anything other than what it purports to be.

Diminish the GAs at your own peril. The Lord instituted his church for the purpose of administering the gospel to the living and the dead, to accomplish the mission. Therefore, he has set in place inspired servants to accomplish that goal, from the Prophet down to the bishop, even down to the deacon. It is our duty, our development as members, to assist our leaders to that end. It requires selfless service and sacrifice. Getting in line behind the leaders can be the most difficult aspect of the church, because they're human, and it requires a lot from us.

Life in this gospel has taught me that those who reject our leaders are those looking for an out--an out from tithing, an out from the work of a calling...they exhibit a disturbing lack of faith. To assume we follow the prophet at the expense of following the Lord is to wholly misunderstand the gospel. In my opinion, when you reject your leaders you're rejecting the will of the Lord, and therefor the Lord himself.
Sam,

I want the truth. If you believe this is true then it must be in the scriptures, and taught by Joseph. Please persuade me to believe as you do. What you've written does not persuade me, but gives me evidence that you are emotional about the subject because you don't have evidence to back your belief. You're experiencing cognitive dissonance. You're making big leaps to condemn those who don't believe like you do.

You claim that I lack faith because I "reject our leaders." Last time I checked Faith was to be placed and centered in Christ. Can you persuade me that this is otherwise? Is there a verse that says I need to place my faith in a leader? I would argue that ALL of our "leaders" are prophesied to lead us astray. (2 Nephi 28:14)

clarkkent14
LBFOJ

Post by clarkkent14 »

I found this series of blog posts recently. I think they help shed light on the myths that have turned into doctrine.

History, Hearsay and Heresy Part 1: Is your Eternal Life at Risk?
History, Hearsay and Heresy Part 2: Joseph Said That?
History, Hearsay and Heresy Part 3: Herein. Danger. Lies.
History, Hearsay and Heresy Part 4: Never Led Astray
History, Hearsay and Heresy Part 5: Ain't that Brother Brigham?
History, Hearsay and Heresy, Conclusion: Hastening What Work?
Part 1 wrote:"The inhabitants of the moon are more of a uniform size than the inhabitants of the earth, being about 6 feet in height. They dress very much like the quaker style and are quite general in style or the one fashion of dress. They live to be very old; coming generally, near a thousand years." - Joseph Smith
Part 2 wrote:“I will give you a key that will never rust — if you will stay with the majority of the Twelve Apostles, and the records of the Church, you will never be led astray.” - Joseph Smith
Part 3 wrote: "I will give you one of the Keys of the mysteries of the Kingdom. It is an eternal principle, that has existed with God from all eternity: That man who rises up to condemn others, finding fault with the Church, saying that they are out of the way, while he himself is righteous, then know assuredly, that that man is in the high road to apostasy; and if he does not repent, will apostatize, as God lives." - Joseph Smith
Part 4 wrote:"I say to Israel, the Lord will never permit me or any other man who stands as President of this church to lead you astray. It is not in the program. It is not in the mind of God. If I were to attempt that, the Lord would remove me out of my place, and so He will any other man who attempts to lead the children of men astray from the oracles of God and from their duty." - Wilford Woodruff
Part 5 wrote:Many witnesses noted that President Young looked and sounded like the Prophet Joseph as he spoke, a powerful manifestation of divine approval.
Part 6 wrote:All over the world, stakes, districts, and missions are experiencing a new level of energy, as the Savior’s declaration to Joseph Smith in 1832 is being fulfilled: “Behold, I will hasten my work in its time” (D&C 88:73). Brothers and sisters, that time is now! I feel it, and I’m sure you do also. - Gifford Nielsen
These well researched post persuade me to believe that the idea of "Follow the Prophet" and "The Prophet won't lead us astray" have been invented. I believe Joseph warned us of such ideas.
President Joseph Smith read the 14th chapter of Ezekiel--said the Lord had declared by the Prophet, that the people should each one stand for himself, and depend on no man or men in that state of corruption of the Jewish church--that righteous persons could only deliver their own souls--applied it to the present state of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints--said if the people departed from the Lord, they must fall--that they were depending on the Prophet, hence were darkened in their minds, in consequence of neglecting the duties devolving upon themselves, envious towards the innocent, while they afflict the virtuous with their shafts of envy. - Joseph Smith

SamFisher
captain of 100

Post by SamFisher »

The Lord expects you to listen to and support his appointed leaders of his church. Your accusation that members put faith in the leaders, or that we blindly follow them, demonstrates a lack of understanding about this church and the gospel. If you don't want to participate in the church, then don't, but attempting to pull people away from it isn't going to make anyone happy.

jbalm
The Third Comforter

Post by jbalm »

SamFisher wrote:The Lord expects you to listen to and support his appointed leaders of his church.
The whole point of this thread was for someone to prove this. Just saying it doesn't prove it.

Got anything besides platitudes to support your position?

clarkkent14
LBFOJ

Post by clarkkent14 »

SamFisher wrote:The Lord expects you to listen to and support his appointed leaders of his church. Prove it, please. Your accusation that members put faith in the leaders, or that we blindly follow them, demonstrates a lack of understanding about this church and the gospel. Where did I say this? If you don't want to participate in the church, then don't, but attempting to pull people away from it isn't going to make anyone happy. Where did this come from? I'm asking you to persuade me to believe like you. Convert me.
You seem to be upset at everything I write. I'm not sure why, I'm trying to find the truth. Please persuade me of my error by using scripture and bonafide quotes from the first generation of leaders.

Why do you think I don't want to participate in church? Persuade me to join with the saints. This is your missionary moment.

Why do you think I'm pulling others away? I'm trying to promote faith in Christ. If the doctrines presented at church are false, they will damn us. Replacing unbelief is difficult, but it is necessary for any chance at having real faith.

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

jbalm wrote:
SamFisher wrote:The Lord expects you to listen to and support his appointed leaders of his church.
The whole point of this thread was for someone to prove this. Just saying it doesn't prove it.

Got anything besides platitudes to support your position?
And just how is it that Romans 13 got skipped over? No one addressed it. It clearly states to pay heed to the Lord's ministers. How much plainer, how much more direct must we get in order to understand the message?
Either we pay heed to the Lord's ministers or we do not.
Secondly, we read in the bible that God does nothing before informing His Prophets. Either we believe it or we don't. How much plainer can it be? Therefore, if we dismiss the prophet we dismiss the Lord as well, because the will of God with regards to His church comes through the prophet...not to any one other individual.
Verse 2 tells us that if we do not, we can bring damnation to our souls.

JST Amos 3:7
Surely the Lord God will do nothing, until he revealeth his secret unto his servants the prophets.

From this can anyone truly justify saying we do not need to listen to our prophet? Does this scripture tell us an untruth?

wildernessdaughter
captain of 50

Post by wildernessdaughter »

I feel like your question, clarkkent14, is a response to a feeling that you shouldn’t have to follow the prophet because he is simply a man and make mistakes. I know I am not answering your question directly, but I want to speak to the belief that because prophets make mistakes, there is danger in following them.

The scriptures are not limited to stories of perfect or even close-to-perfect men, including those who are identified as prophets and holders of the keys of the church. Let’s take Peter, for example, the first prophet assigned to hold the keys of the church after the Savior’s ministry and ascension to heaven (talk about big shoes to fill!). The Savior himself called Peter to lead the church (see Matthew 16:13-18). Peter was with the Lord from almost the very beginning of his ministry. He witnessed His miracles, His atonement, His death, His resurrection. He must have been a very righteous man that the Lord must have trusted greatly to leave His church in his hands. But even with the strong testimony that Peter had and the noble mission given to him by the Savior himself, the scriptures make it very clear that he had flaws. A lot of them. His faith failed whilst he walked on water with the Savior. He denied knowing the Savior three times on the night of the Lord’s great sacrifice. He couldn’t even stay awake to watch the greatest event in the history of man transpire, even when Jesus specifically asked him to. He had a really hard time following the Lord’s commandment to take the gospel to the Gentiles. He got in arguments with other apostles, specifically Paul.

Prophets are simply men. To fail to follow the prophet because he is flawed, because he is not always Christlike, because he makes mistakes, because he says something is true that isn’t, is not an excuse, according to the scriptures. If so, the scriptures wouldn’t depict so many imperfect prophets (Peter, Jonas, Lehi and others) while clearly sending the message that God expects us to give heed to the them (as cited by many on this thread).

This is made clear in the endowment ceremony when we learn about “true messengers.” While I know there is discussion as to what exactly is a true messenger, the temple ceremony makes it clear that these “true messengers” go down to earth in their “true form, as apostles of the Lord Jesus Christ.” They are represented by Peter, James and John – prophets and apostles who lead the Lord’s organized church on Earth. We are told to give “strict heed to their counsel.”

“Follow the prophet” is a modern phrase that encompasses a message that is found in the scriptures many, many times. Many of these verses and stories are cited on this thread. Just because those exact words aren’t used, it exists in the spirit of the message.
With that said, the wonderful thing about the Lord is that he doesn’t expect us to follow anyone blindly. We aren’t even expected to take the scriptures at face value. We are told to ask. We are told to seek the guidance of the Holy Ghost who will tell us the truth of all things. Me personally, I listen to the prophet and the Spirit confirms to me that he is a man of God speaking on behalf of the Lord, whose church this is. The Lord’s house is one of order. The prophet is not the Savior, but he points us to him.

Cowboy
captain of 100

Post by Cowboy »

Hey Sam Fisher,
Don't let them get to you...
What you said was right on the mark.
Those that are demanding proof are basically asking you to cut off an arm and restore it. THEN they will believe.
It is impossible to prove. We just live it and the proof is in the pudding.
Hang in there!

Jake
Videre faciem Dei

Post by Jake »

freedomforall wrote:
JST Amos 3:7
Surely the Lord God will do nothing, until he revealeth his secret unto his servants the prophets.

From this can anyone truly justify saying we do not need to listen to our prophet? Does this scripture tell us an untruth?
There are a couple of problems with the interpretation you have offered of the verse listed above.

First, the scripture says that God will do nothing until "he revealeth his secret". However, when I read church manuals and listen to leaders speak about this idea, they use "secrets" (plural) instead of secret. The use of plural instead of singular is used to imply that only the president of the church has the right to know what God is going to do, and that we have to look to that president to know God's will. But what is the secret of the Lord? It doesn't say secrets, it says secret. The secret of God is the presence of God Himself and knowledge about the future and past. In short, is pure truth. That is what the brother of Jared received, what Nephi received, what Lehi received, what Abraham received, and others. It is knowledge of God. Does President Monson have this secret? Does Eyring? Packer? Any of the FP or Twelve? If they do, they have not shared this testimony. So we really need to be careful about what we mean when we say "his secret".

Second, the Lord says he will reveal his secret to his servants, the prophets. Are you absolutely certain that when the scriptures speak of prophets, they are talking about church leaders who obtain an office by common consent? Is it possible that what is referred to here is any person who has seen the vision of everything, like Nephi, Lehi, the brother of Jared, and others have done? We know that God will give this knowledge to all who diligently seek it. The application of this concept to a single individual does not seem consistent with what the Lord has told us about Himself.

As I search the scriptures, I get the idea that God intends for all of us to look to Christ and depend on Him for knowledge and direction. We meet together to help one another in our respective, individual journeys to Christ, but the idea that we are one big mass of people who need to have a prophet receive revelation for us as a whole seems absent from the scriptures. Prophets are those who have individually connected to God and testify of it. We all ought to be prophets. What God has in mind for me is different than what He has in mind for you. We can be in the same situation and have the same circumstances, and God may instruct me to do one thing and you to do the opposite. He does not direct us en mass, He directs us individually. We cannot expect to follow a prophet and end up anywhere other than in a Telestial kingdom.