New seminary rules and raising the bar

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
shadow
Level 34 Illuminated

New seminary rules and raising the bar

Post by shadow »

In light of the locked seminary thread, I thought of Bill Cosby. I don't think The Lord wants just regular people. I think He has something that requires more than just regular. Granted, seminary requiring students to actually read the texts they're studying doesn't seem like a huge step, but it's something (-|

The last 90 seconds is the best.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nFY0HBkUm8o" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ajax
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: New seminary rules and raising the bar

Post by ajax »

shadow wrote:In light of the locked seminary thread, I thought of Bill Cosby. I don't think The Lord wants just regular people. I think He has something that requires more than just regular. Granted, seminary requiring students to actually read the texts they're studying doesn't seem like a huge step, but it's something (-|

The last 90 seconds is the best.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nFY0HBkUm8o" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sad thing is, too many conversations like that occur between parents and kids regarding the church / seminary etc. and a vast number of other supoosed "duties" or other acts of "righteousness". Lame.

So those who don't read the entire txt are just regular schmo's, while those who do are extra-ordinary? And we like to say so over and over in classes, gatherings, over the pulpit etc, thus creating "a race of insufferable, self-righteous prigs and barren minds" (Nibley)

Like I mentioned in the other thread, IF you are going to have something called "Seminary", I guess some sort of rigor should be involved, but let's not start labeling those who don't go or don't want to read the entire text as somehow just "regular".

jbalm
The Third Comforter

Post by jbalm »

shadow wrote:I don't think The Lord wants just regular people. I think He has something that requires more than just regular.
Bummer. I guess regular guys like me are just S.O.L.

jbalm
The Third Comforter

Post by jbalm »

By the way, I don't see the new seminary requirements as bad, necessarily.

But as some said on the closed thread, some H.S. kids with already demanding schedules may be forced to make a choice. Hopefully, their choices will be respected.

triple777
captain of 100

Post by triple777 »

The holy of holy sacred Cows of Mormonism.

O:-)

jbalm
The Third Comforter

Post by jbalm »

Not even close.

Rand
captain of 1,000

Post by Rand »

In the days that are coming and the trials and tribulations that are coming, given the prophetic insight the brethren have, would we rather they lighten the burden on kids so they had more time on their "Smart" phones, social media, tweeting, facebooking etc? I think we all need to be willing to choose. Given Elder Nelsons recent devotional talk to BYU, we must step up.
If this is one step in that direction, I can support it.
No, I didn't graduate from seminary, much less one year of seminary.

But, I have also never heard a missionary complain of having too much seminary. They always say, I wish I had paid better attention. This will help. I think it is marvelous.

At least this policy gives the kids a greater chance to merit a greater testimony. It may pull a few weeds too.

Write_One
captain of 50

Post by Write_One »

I guess I don't see what the big deal is about requiring seminary students to read the scriptures. Giving them a chance to do more scripture study can only be helpful.
I speak from experience. I read all of the standard works cover to cover when I was in high school. Some of them (Book of Mormon, New Testament, D&C, Pearl of Great Price) I read multiple times. It helped me so much in gaining a testimony of the gospel and a better understanding of basic principles and doctrines. It helped me stay strong in my testimony even as all but one of my siblings left the church later in life and worked vigorously to get me to follow the same path.
God has commanded us multiple times to read and study his word. We are told to feast on the words of Christ daily. What better place to get in the habit of scripture study than in seminary? How are children expected to gain a testimony of the gospel if they never crack open a Book of Mormon or Bible?
Jesus tells us: "And whoso treasureth up my word, shall not be deceived." (JS-M 1:37) I can testify to the truth of this verse. Studying the scriptures in seminary daily helped me to better discern between truth and error. I had a couple of seminary teachers who taught incorrect or false doctrine from time to time. I was able to recognize it and not give heed to those things because I made the effort to study and I was able to recall specific verses when I needed them to share true doctrines and principles in class . The same can be true for any high school student who chooses to enroll in seminary.
I welcome any opportunity to study the words of Christ more frequently. The scriptures really can help us learn to recognize the voice of the Holy Ghost so we can obtain God's will for us in our own lives easier.

e-eye
captain of 100

Post by e-eye »

I still use the cover to cover method to read the book of Mormon. By reading it cover to cover it keeps me engaged and I feel like I am getting somewhere and each night after reading my regular scheduled reading I then find something of interest from what I read or have been wondering about and study it.

I have never read the old testament cover to cover.

kathyn
captain of 1,000

Post by kathyn »

I think this is all part of the Lord hastening his work. These kids need to be better prepared than those who have gone before. The time is getting short and there will be much required of this upcoming generation. They need more faith and more gospel knowledge and they have to get it in much shorter time than we did. They are going to need it like never before.

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

When I went to seminary, reading the entire work and doing the workbooks was required for graduation. So I read the scriptures, and some classmates did, too. I imagine some lied about having done so, but that was up to them and their parents.

On top of that, we memorized the 40 scriptures for scripture chasing (which I thought wasn't a good thing, the way it was done).

I wasn't very good at it all my last year, especially with the teacher. My first two teachers were great. My first teacher gave me a ride every morning; otherwise, I might not have gone.

I'm really glad I did. It helped quite a bit for my mission and many teaching callings, before and after.

I haven't always kept up with reading the current lessons. I really do like that the OT reading for GD class is cut down a little.

Weekly seminary/ homestudy is a good option. My dad used to teach that. The stake president didn't support it... until his son signed up for it. Then, he supported it 100%. They met on Sundays for the whole stake, and had to complete the workbook assignments. Their numbers grew quite a bit over time. Many parents didn't have the time or means to do early morning, nor did some of the students. I believe homestudy is essential if they want to use seminary graduation as part of admissions to BYU, etc.

One verse in the Book of Mormon has troubled me for a while:
3 Ne. 1: 29 And there was also a cause of much sorrow among the Lamanites; for behold, they had many children who did grow up and began to wax strong in years, that they became for themselves, and were led away by some who were Zoramites, by their lyings and their flattering words, to join those Gadianton robbers.

This onslaught is coming, and getting stronger. I believe that "Attending" will no longer be enough for anyone. I want my children. Forever. And now.

That means that somethings will be more important than others, i.e., "Good, Better, Best". It is essential for families to weigh and choose. Parents need to give it up.

Seminary works in Taiwan, where the local studies knock the heck out of USA studies. For starters, classes are from 8-5; many then go to afterschool centers. University preparation high school students can go to class from 8am-10pm, then they go home and do homework. When you graduate with good grades from junior high, you have almost the equivalent of a high school level in the USA. They go to seminary. Years ago when it was announced, there was a minor temporary mutiny, ha ha. Now, I believe the majority of active YM/YW attend, and the parents are grateful for it. More active young men are going on missions, especially.

WarMonger
captain of 100

Post by WarMonger »

The world has become a very tough and dangerous place both spiritually and temporary - there are temptations like never before, the Lords needs better prepared missionaries.

karend77
captain of 1,000

Post by karend77 »

I dont see the big deal in the new seminary requirements- the youth (and us) are supposed to be reading the scriptures every day anyway. And having two extra assessments isnt a big deal either, as it just helps them re-focus if they are slipping. Whether it is in school seminary, at home or early morning doesnt matter.

More than 6,000 years ago, Father Adam received the commandment, “In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread.” (Gen. 3:19.)

Some 2,700 years ago, a Greek poet observed that “in front of excellence the immortal gods have put sweat, and long and steep is the way to it.” (Hesiod, Works and Days, 1. 287, as cited in John Bartlett, Familiar Quotations, 14th ed., Boston: Little, Brown and Co., 1968, p. 67.)

My young friends of the Aaronic Priesthood and you trainers of this great army of Christ, the principle of work has been taught from the foundation of the world. It is the bottom line of any forward motion of success. The frightening disappearance of work as a part of our basic ethic is alarming. We constantly hear the statements, “It’s too hard,” “Give me something easier,” “I want it now,” “I can’t wait that long” coming from our young people. The ugly disease of “nothing to do” is growing in epidemic proportions among us. It undermines the basic fabric of our nations. The prophet Ezekiel clearly defined iniquity as an “abundance of idleness.” (Ezek. 16:49.)

We are what we are as a people because our ancestors were not afraid of honest, hard work. Our forefathers understood the necessity of it; sheer survival demanded it. A common ingredient among all successful people is an understanding of what constitutes paying the price of success. Basic in that formula of paying the price is an inner gift of determination that “I’ll do whatever it takes.” That means, “I’ll work hard, with integrity, to achieve my goal.”

Hard work is a blessing of God. It involves going after it “with all your heart, might, mind and strength.” (D&C 4:2.) That alone is the difference between the average and the excellent.

https://www.lds.org/general-conference/ ... k?lang=eng" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

blamb
captain of 50

Post by blamb »

I had the goal of finishing the standard works before my mission. I got up an hour early to read the OldTestament each day the last semmester I had while i was a college student before my mission. I truly enjoyed it and met my goal and no one on my mission could mock me for not having read all of the Bible. Interestingly, I got the best grades for my bachelors degree that semester I believe.

passionflower
captain of 1,000

Post by passionflower »

-delete-
Last edited by passionflower on January 29th, 2017, 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

boo
captain of 1,000

Post by boo »

"Search the scriptures, for in them ye think ye have eternal life. And they testify of me"
Pssionflower I think you should know ( and perhaps you do ) that Christ was speaking ironically when he said this. He was not saying that in the scriptures you have eternal life. He was not even telling people generally to search the scriptures. He was complaining that the Jews thought that searching the scriptures would lead them to eternal life. This was wrong. He was the path to eternal life not the scriptures. If they searched the scriptures they would discover that the scriptures testified of the very person they were rejecting. The Peoples Version has it: "Ye search the scriptures for eternal life. Yet they were full of testimony of Christ. Yet they turned away from him who is the life of whom their scripture spoke" . Read the next verse. It is this sort of desire to wrest the scriptures and use them as proof texts that has lead us to the dire circumstances we find ourselves in presently .

Ruby
captain of 100

Post by Ruby »

boo wrote:"Search the scriptures, for in them ye think ye have eternal life. And they testify of me"
Pssionflower I think you should know ( and perhaps you do ) that Christ was speaking ironically when he said this. He was not saying that in the scriptures you have eternal life. He was not even telling people generally to search the scriptures. He was complaining that the Jews thought that searching the scriptures would lead them to eternal life. This was wrong. He was the path to eternal life not the scriptures. If they searched the scriptures they would discover that the scriptures testified of the very person they were rejecting. The Peoples Version has it: "Ye search the scriptures for eternal life. Yet they were full of testimony of Christ. Yet they turned away from him who is the life of whom their scripture spoke" . Read the next verse. It is this sort of desire to wrest the scriptures and use them as proof texts that has lead us to the dire circumstances we find ourselves in presently .
Boo. Thank you for this!! I've always thought that verse was ironic.

Anxiously preparing
captain of 10

Post by Anxiously preparing »

I am a seminary teacher and I encourage my class to read the next day's lesson as we go through it. It takes a bit of dedication but I can tell you the kids who do really benefit from it. They grow spiritually, but not only that, they do better at school too. Encouraging them to read daily makes it a habit. A habit that I can't find fault with as they get to know our Saviour and Heavenly Father through it. They get know the scriptures and when they go out on mission they will be so grateful for having done that.
I teach one of my kids too and there are days when we don't feel like getting up early, but we do and we enjoy the lesson feel uplifted by it. We should teach our kids to put the Lord first in everything then they will be blessed in other areas too. I know they have a lot on their agendas with, school, sport and other things but those who attend seminary usually cope better than the others. Encourage your kids to go to seminary it is allowing them to put on the full armour of the Lord before sending them of to school and the wicked world.

passionflower
captain of 1,000

Post by passionflower »

boo wrote:"Search the scriptures, for in them ye think ye have eternal life. And they testify of me"

-delete-
Last edited by passionflower on January 29th, 2017, 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

My child, a young teen and yet a fast reader, finished The Book of Mormon, Doctrine and Covenants, and The Pearl of Great Price this summer.

worthit
captain of 100

Post by worthit »

Check out the class and teacher first. If the class members are cursing, lying, throwing furniture in fits of rage, cheating; if the teacher is throwing scriptures at the children, and stumbling through a history of James writing the King James version of the bible, then maybe it's not the best place for your children to be, even if it is labeled seminary. Yes, this really happened. The seminary teacher was the bishop's wife.
Encourage your kids to go to seminary it is allowing them to put on the full armour of the Lord before sending them of to school and the wicked world.