Thomas S. Monson is a prophet of God

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
StriplingWarrior
captain of 50

Re: Thomas S. Monson is a prophet of God

Post by StriplingWarrior »

I don't know why (and I probably shouldn't say this lol) but I just can't seem to really like Monson. I don't know what it is. he just rubs me the wrong way. I like his counselors more than him. Erying and Uchtdorf are so awesome and I always feel more closely connected to their talks than Monson's. I don't mean it in a negative way that's simply how I feel.

DPeterson
captain of 100

Post by DPeterson »

investigator wrote:That's what I thought, however, Preach My Gospel says...
We are to have faith in God’s chosen prophet, gain conviction of his divine calling, and follow his teachings
Lesson 4: The Commandments
http://www.lds.org/manual/preach-my-gos ... s?lang=eng" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Having FAITH in anyone other than Christ isn't even remotely scriptural. But I will most certainly heed any words spoken by President Monson under the influence of the Holy Ghost.

boo
captain of 1,000

Post by boo »

Obrien wrote:I've never read Preach my Gospel. Never will. Don't really care what it says...
Actually it is very illustrative of the present plight of the institution. Look at the picture on page 38 of the translation process. I show it to people when I want to prove to somebody we are teaching false and apostate notions. It is perfect . They are almost speechless and say wow. It is almost as good as having them read the bible dictionary entry under Mount of Transfiguration them having them read the IV of Mark 9. The cognitive dissonance is a wonder to behold. Don't try this at home however.
Last edited by boo on August 20th, 2014, 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

Obrien wrote:I've never read Preach my Gospel. Never will. Don't really care what it says...
How about Romans 13:1-7? Do you care about its message?

Obrien
Up, up and away.

Post by Obrien »

ok boo...I downloaded it. I looked at page 38. :(
I had a similar picture in the primary materials a decade ago, except the plates were kind of concealed from Oliver by a curtain. for some reason it was a big deal that Oliver didn't see the plates.

I'm sure you're aware of Russell Nelson, who wrote an article about the hat and the seer stone in the July 1993 ensign. it's pretty well known how the translation occurred. after seeing page 38, I've seen enough of PMG. you suckered me into reading a page of it. :)

ffa - aahhhh yes, Hitler's favorite bible passage. How did this kind of thinking work out for the inhabitants of Jacobugath? they were just following their leaders. I'll see your Romans 13 and raise you a 3rd Nephi 9:9 about the outcome of following any old leader.
also, as a church we accept the bible as scripture. PMG is weak sauce in comparison to scripture. it's an in depth corporate prospectus, imho.

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

Obrien wrote:ok boo...I downloaded it. I looked at page 38. :(
I had a similar picture in the primary materials a decade ago, except the plates were kind of concealed from Oliver by a curtain. for some reason it was a big deal that Oliver didn't see the plates.

I'm sure you're aware of Russell Nelson, who wrote an article about the hat and the seer stone in the July 1993 ensign. it's pretty well known how the translation occurred. after seeing page 38, I've seen enough of PMG. you suckered me into reading a page of it. :)

ffa - aahhhh yes, Hitler's favorite bible passage. How did this kind of thinking work out for the inhabitants of Jacobugath? they were just following their leaders. I'll see your Romans 13 and raise you a 3rd Nephi 9:9 about the outcome of following any old leader.
also, as a church we accept the bible as scripture. PMG is weak sauce in comparison to scripture. it's an in depth corporate prospectus, imho.
Ah verse 9. This verse explicitly shows by example what happens to people for not listening to a prophet. Verses 1-11 are an excellent narrative of how people can get themselves destroyed for ignoring or mocking prophets.

9 And behold, that great city Jacobugath, which was inhabited by the people of king Jacob, have I caused to be burned with fire because of their sins and their wickedness, which was above all the wickedness of the whole earth, because of their secret murders and combinations; for it was they that did destroy the peace of my people and the government of the land; therefore I did cause them to be burned, to destroy them from before my face, that the blood of the prophets and the saints should not come up unto me any more against them.

The blood of the prophet called out from the ground to God against the wicked, and God burned them.
Nice choice to prove my point and Romans 13:1-7

Reggie
captain of 100

Post by Reggie »

Boo get ready. You and I may be headed to Hong Kong after October conference. I have been tossing and turning in my bed for an hour with this. The Lord wants me to bear witness to all on this forum who do not have a firm witness of the prophet and the apostles now. It is vital to get that firm witness. By firm witness, I mean a willingness to get up and do what he asks when he asks.

There is coming a very big divisive situation. Only those with a testimony of the prophet will survive it. Fast and pray. Go to the temple. Find out for yourselves who he is. Maybe he's not a Joseph Smith. Who could be? But, I know he is whom the Lord has called for right now, a most perilous time.
The leaders of the church have been walking a knife blade for the last 180 years. The only way this church got as big and world wide as it has is because the Lord told them how to walk that knife. The last conference warned us of the coming persecution. I think this conference is going to put in motion the why.

Remember Jeremiah 38. Remember 1 Cor. 4. The Lord may give you your own scriptures if you ask. Don't let the stone cut without hands that is going to fill the whole earth roll over you because you are focused on the minutae. Maybe if the Lord told them to teach the gospel to the level of the least of the saints, they went a little overboard. Who knew the least of us could be so dull? =p~ But, don't let the Lord loose His best and brightest because they are able to see beyond the mark that has been set so low. Yes, come unto Christ. Hear Him. But, be humble enough to find out whether you are to follow these leaders now before the following really starts.(as in them asking us to do something other than just live the gospel)

Stripling I'm with you on TSM being a turn off speaker. He speaks in a hiss, slow, monotone or hyperbole which kind of makes me crazy. It's hypnotizing @-) But, all the more to recognize a servant of the Lord. To me there is no charisma that drives people to follow him. It's the Spirit or nothing. Kind of like Spencer Kimball and his rasp because of the throat surgery.

Speaking of Spencer Kimball, I failed to follow his counsel in 1974 and it cost me 10 years in hell and my membership in the church. Now, I'm back. Maybe that is why the Lord is making sure I know better this time. I've never been a good following type. Trail Blazer. So for me to be where I am now is kind of amazing to me. But I know in whom I have trusted and his name is Jesus.

boo
captain of 1,000

Post by boo »

Name the time babe . Incidentally I was born in Savannah and went to High School in Jacksonville. Always loved those southern women

Write_One
captain of 50

Post by Write_One »

Reggie wrote:
There is coming a very big divisive situation. Only those with a testimony of the prophet will survive it. Fast and pray. Go to the temple. Find out for yourselves who he is. Maybe he's not a Joseph Smith. Who could be? But, I know he is whom the Lord has called for right now, a most perilous time.

The leaders of the church have been walking a knife blade for the last 180 years. The only way this church got as big and world wide as it has is because the Lord told them how to walk that knife. The last conference warned us of the coming persecution. I think this conference is going to put in motion the why.
Maybe you posted this elsewhere, Reggie, and I didn't see it. Could you relate more on how you received this impression that something divisive will occur at the next general conference? Just curious to get more details.

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

It's obvious that Tom Monson has automatically become the next in line to act as president of the lds church.

A prophet is one who understands & does the will of God and people follow his Christ-like example. If a president or iconized "prophet" robs from the poor and hides finances, disobeying commandments (Deut. 14:28-29), I'd be a fool to sustain him.

It's common to misinterpret the spirit of God/Love.
Many seem to need authority figures.
There comes a time to put off childish things & worship God and nobody else.

Write_One
captain of 50

Post by Write_One »

Write_One wrote:
Reggie wrote:

Maybe you posted this elsewhere, Reggie, and I didn't see it. Could you relate more on how you received this impression that something divisive will occur at the next general conference? Just curious to get more details.
Never mind. I saw the earlier post in this thread where you related the story. That's a fascinating and powerful experience, Reggie.

Zowieink
captain of 100

Post by Zowieink »

Reggie: can I come too. I love Hong Kong, great city, great members of the Church there.

I too have a firm testimony concerning President Monson. It is renewed every general conference, and I know without a doubt that he is the Lord's prophet and leader of the Lord's Church. Sends goose bumps all over as I think of the wonderful opportunity we are going to have in the future to follow this great leader, or whomever is prophet at the time we are called to escape Babylon. We should never, ever follow blindly, but after being testified to by the Holy Ghost, you reach a point where further inquiry is redundant. You know.

e-eye
captain of 100

Post by e-eye »

Please feel free to post your testimony of a living prophet and if you don't have one feel free to read the testimonies of others feel the spirit and gain one.

The Lord calls prophets in His church. I testify that Thomas S. Monson has been called of the Lord and is a prophet of God.

TannerG
captain of 100

Post by TannerG »

Zowieink wrote:Reggie: can I come too. I love Hong Kong, great city, great members of the Church there.

I too have a firm testimony concerning President Monson. It is renewed every general conference, and I know without a doubt that he is the Lord's prophet and leader of the Lord's Church. Sends goose bumps all over as I think of the wonderful opportunity we are going to have in the future to follow this great leader, or whomever is prophet at the time we are called to escape Babylon. We should never, ever follow blindly, but after being testified to by the Holy Ghost, you reach a point where further inquiry is redundant. You know.
Thanks for your testimony! Just a point, the call to leave Babylon has already been issued. Physical gathering comes AFTER our hearts have left Babylon.

Steve Clark
captain of 1,000

Post by Steve Clark »

Reggie wrote:There is coming a very big divisive situation. Only those with a testimony of the prophet will survive it. Fast and pray. Go to the temple. Find out for yourselves who he is. Maybe he's not a Joseph Smith. Who could be? But, I know he is whom the Lord has called for right now, a most perilous time.
Serious question: What if someone were to fast and pray and go to the temple and God tells that person that Pres. Monson is not a prophet?

Write_One
captain of 50

Post by Write_One »

Steve Clark wrote:
Reggie wrote:There is coming a very big divisive situation. Only those with a testimony of the prophet will survive it. Fast and pray. Go to the temple. Find out for yourselves who he is. Maybe he's not a Joseph Smith. Who could be? But, I know he is whom the Lord has called for right now, a most perilous time.
Serious question: What if someone were to fast and pray and go to the temple and God tells that person that Pres. Monson is not a prophet?
If you get that response, then ask God who is his prophet. He will tell you what you need to know. Joseph Smith's first question to God and Christ was to ask which of all the churches was correct. And we all know that they answered his honest and sincere inquiry.

Having said that, I personally don't believe God would tell a person that Thomas Monson is not his prophet because I have a witness through the Holy Ghost that he is God's prophet

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

Steve Clark wrote:Serious question: What if someone were to fast and pray and go to the temple and God tells that person that Pres. Monson is not a prophet?
I received such - through LOTS of study, pondering and prayer.
I know that God loves us so much & is patient with us having other gods/prophets before God. Still, I also know that if we keep seeking God (truth & love), we'll find the more fulfilling, narrow way, line upon line.

"Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call to her tribunal every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blindfolded fear." -Thomas Jefferson

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

Write_One wrote:
Steve Clark wrote:Serious question: What if someone were to fast and pray and go to the temple and God tells that person that Pres. Monson is not a prophet?
If you get that response, then ask God who is his prophet. He will tell you what you need to know. Joseph Smith's first question to God and Christ was to ask which of all the churches was correct. And we all know that they answered his honest and sincere inquiry.
And the answer Joseph received was...

" 19 I was answered that I must join none of them, for they were all wrong; and the Personage who addressed me said that all their creeds were an abomination in his sight; that those professors were all corrupt; that: “they draw near to me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me, they teach for doctrines the commandments of men, having a form of godliness, but they deny the power thereof.”

If you believe the story of Joseph's 1st vision, then you believe it is possible to get such an answer.

TannerG
captain of 100

Post by TannerG »

Steve Clark wrote:
I have wondered about this. I think the Lord can give different answers to different people. Your question is backed by all of your experiences and learning. Somebody else comes from a totally different paradigm. God gives you a certain answer to get you moving in a certain direction. It doesn't mean that they can't both be true. My understanding of a prophet might be totally different than yours and therefore our answers could be totally different.

Could be wrong. Just my thoughts.

TannerG
captain of 100

Post by TannerG »

Person A believes the prophet stands in the presence of God receives personal instruction and messages from Him on the daily.
Person B believes the prophet is the rightful person to lead The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

They both pray and get different answers. Both answers are correct.

Zowieink
captain of 100

Post by Zowieink »

God does not play with our minds. He is consistent in His messages and communications with us. However, there is another being: Satan, that does play with our heads. Little innuendos, a tiny untruth her, a bigger one there, until we are completely over the precipice and fall.

Besides, as the consul given in the D & C section 9: study it out in your mind [and when you come to a conclusion, doing all the research,e tc.] then ask God if it be right. If its right you will have the feeling that it is right and if its wrong you will have a stupor of thought. I have experience this stupor of thought and it makes you forget the thing you are asking.

However, if a person hasn't gotten the testimony and witness that Pres. Monson is a prophet and the Lord's leader of His Church, that person shouldn't be in the temple anyway, because they would have lied in the recommend interview about having a testimony of the truthfulness of the Church and the Brethren that lead it.
Last edited by Zowieink on August 22nd, 2014, 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

laronius
captain of 100

Post by laronius »

I have a testimony that Thomas S Monson is not just "a" prophet of God but "the" prophet of God and that if the Lord has anything to reveal to the general membership of the Church, or to the world for that matter, it will come through him.

I would have to say that my testimony is a conglomeration of coming to trust the Lord in the process of how he calls his prophets, a witness recieved during Pres. Monson's first talk as the prophet, as well as continued witnesses of what he has said and done since then.

I am also a firm believer in the principle that God will not allow his chosen prophet to lead the Church astray. Not because of unbridled faith in the man, but unbridled faith in the God behind the man. God is in charge and this is his Church and Pres. Monson is his prophet.

Obrien
Up, up and away.

Post by Obrien »

laronius wrote:I have a testimony that Thomas S Monson is not just "a" prophet of God but "the" prophet of God and that if the Lord has anything to reveal to the general membership of the Church, or to the world for that matter, it will come through him....
so you have a testimony that God is powerless to speak to anyone in the world according to His sovereign will?

thin ice...

this is how we get to the point of idolizing a prophet. we feel it necessary to up the ante each time a testimony is expressed until things get ridiculous.
Last edited by Obrien on August 22nd, 2014, 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

laronius
captain of 100

Post by laronius »

Obrien wrote:
laronius wrote:I have a testimony that Thomas S Monson is not just "a" prophet of God but "the" prophet of God and that if the Lord has anything to reveal to the general membership of the Church, or to the world for that matter, it will come through him....
so you have a testimony that God is powerless to speak to anyone in the world according to His sovereign will?

thin ice...

this is how we get to the point of idolizing a property. we feel it necessary to up the ante each time a testimony is expressed until things get ridiculous.
On the contrary, I do believe he can speak to anyone he chooses and he has chosen Pres. Monson. And given him priesthood keys and authority to receive such revelation for the Church. God's house is a house of order, for which I for one am thankful.

And am I guilty of upping the ante? Yes, I am. Merely saying Pres Monson is "a" prophet is about as noncommittal as you can get since technically anyone with a testimony of Jesus Christ is a prophet. I fealt it was time that people actually declared where they stood instead of playing word games. Always imply but never commiting.

And no Obrien, this has nothing to do with idolizing the prophet. That is simply a straw man argument that distracts from the point being discussed.

Obrien
Up, up and away.

Post by Obrien »

idolize / verb - to admire, revere, or love greatly or excessively.

I'd say your post idolizes " the prophet", and proudly so on your part.

one man's straw man is another man's theological issue. :(