Thomas S. Monson is a prophet of God

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
Obrien
Up, up and away.

Re: Thomas S. Monson is a prophet of God

Post by Obrien »

^^^^ still waiting, brother boo.

TannerG
captain of 100

Post by TannerG »

When he was first sustained as president of the church I watched On the Lord's Errand and was impressed by his life. While I typically prefer doctrinal expositions, I am grateful for his constant reminders about daily Christlike living.

I found his biography to be exhausting (definitely prefer the book, Spencer W. Kimball). He just never stops. I don't know how he does all that he does. He truly is a much better man than me. I think he is a great example of learning to follow the promptings of the Holy Ghost to bless the lives of others. I recall having strong feelings during a conference in which he spoke about the resurrection.

I don't know if that counts as a testimony, but there it is.

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

DPeterson wrote:Weird. The only comments here are bearing testimony and complaining about darkness. No posts of "unbelief" here.
The showing of disrespect of other people's heartfelt requests, such as in the OP, is a part of unbelief, is it not? Some people just can't resist in saying something to throw off a good spirit.
And just because some people think or express the idea that President Monson is not a prophet doesn't mean it's true. All it means is that they do not have a testimony that he is, and instead of seeking a testimony, would rather cause discord. We see this pattern in the scriptures.

Obrien
Up, up and away.

Post by Obrien »

I hope Thomas Monson is a prophet. I believe that when he is inspired by the Holy Spirit, he has the right and duty to receive revelation for the church. I believe Thomas Monson is a man, seeking to do God's will to the best of his ability. I know Jesus is the Saviour of the world, and that is the only thing I know, nothing wavering.

BagleyDarwin
captain of 100

Post by BagleyDarwin »

I have been reluctant to post in this thread, because as usual my post will probably make me the odd-man-out.

When it comes to the President of the LDS Church, I tend to have a testimony of the position rather than the man. I can see the clear and logical need for Jesus Christ to have a Presiding High Priest in His Church or a Chief Apostle in His Church. I have a testimony of that, which burns inside me. It's extremely important for Jesus Christ to have a point-man here on this earth. In any organization, it's always of paramount importance to have someone take point.

The natural man in me hasn't liked some of the Presidents of the LDS Church. That betrays my weakness, but I haven't liked some of them. But even then, I have always seen the need for the position of Chief Apostle, or Presiding High Priest, or President of the Church to exist.

What would we have if each of the Apostles could veto each other? We would have chaos. Instead, only the President of the LDS Church has veto power. All the Apostles are obligated to defer to him and his position for the final say in any matter. It creates order and structure. So, it really doesn't matter who the man is that fills that position so long as the position exists in the first place.

Of them all, Joseph Smith was centuries ahead of all the rest. We all know that.

I believe that Brigham Young was the right man for the job at the time. He was a natural leader and could be tough when called upon to be so.

I believe that Wilford Woodruff ended up being the right man in the right place at the time he was there. He significantly improved the way that the work for the dead and sealings were being done.

I know that Lorenzo Snow was personally accepted by the Lord and approved by the Lord to serve as Presiding High Priest of the LDS Church. He received the revelation telling him that the Lord wanted tithing to be taken seriously once again.

The Lord placed sadness, death of children and grand-children, and obstacles into the life of Joseph F. Smith in order to lead the man to a desire to receive the clarifying vision of the Spirit World as found in D&C 138.

David O. McKay was clearly the right person at the right time for the task of turning the LDS Church into an international church.

Most of us know that Spencer W. Kimball was raised up to become the charitable and caring Chief Apostle who would be instrumental in bringing the Gospel of Christ to ALL mankind.

It took Ezra Taft Benson to tell us that we are still under condemnation as a Church for taking the Book of Mormon lightly.

Many of us can sense that the temple-building President, Gordon Buddy Hinckley, was the man that the Lord raised up to fulfill that task. That man put a positive public face on the LDS Church.

So far, Thomas S. Monson has proven to be the Presiding High Priest who was given us a way to accelerate the pace of the missionary program in the LDS Church.

They are each good in their place; and, I'm slowly gaining a testimony of the others as well.

Obrien
Up, up and away.

Post by Obrien »

newsflash Darwin... absent a time machine you have no basis for liking or disliking any of the Lord's point men. there's a possibility you've know some of them, but none before David McKay. let's not be silly and pretend you knew these men. this is a testimony thread, not a cataloging of nebulous traits thread.

BagleyDarwin
captain of 100

Post by BagleyDarwin »

Obrien wrote:newsflash Darwin... absent a time machine you have no basis for liking or disliking any of the Lord's point men. there's a possibility you've know some of them, but none before David McKay. let's not be silly and pretend you knew these men. this is a testimony thread, not a cataloging of nebulous traits thread.
We can come to know a man through his writings and his speeches. I feel like I know Joseph Smith, Brigham Young, the First Nephi, Moroni, Moses, Abraham, Isaiah, Jesus Christ, John the Revelator, and Paul, even though these men were long before my time. But you are right, I tend not to have a testimony of a particular man but of the position itself, which is why I have been reluctant to post anything in this thread. I did NOT have a testimony of Thomas S. Monson. That testimony is only beginning to start and grow. I'm usually slow to come around. That's just the way I am.

DPeterson
captain of 100

Post by DPeterson »

freedomforall wrote:
DPeterson wrote:Weird. The only comments here are bearing testimony and complaining about darkness. No posts of "unbelief" here.
The showing of disrespect of other people's heartfelt requests, such as in the OP, is a part of unbelief, is it not? Some people just can't resist in saying something to throw off a good spirit.
And just because some people think or express the idea that President Monson is not a prophet doesn't mean it's true. All it means is that they do not have a testimony that he is, and instead of seeking a testimony, would rather cause discord. We see this pattern in the scriptures.
Show me where that was done, freedom. Who showed disrespect for the OP? I haven't seen it. Almost every post is a statement of belief in President Monson of some kind. Whether it's full blown I'll follow him off a cliff or I look forward to the moments when he speaks by the spirit, that's what is here. I see no unbelief or discord.

As you say, just because someone expresses the idea that he isn't a prophet doesn't mean it's true. And conversely, just because someone expresses the idea that he is doesn't make it true either.

I am one of those who appreciates the wisdom he has to offer. He has taught many wonderful truths and been a great example of service. I look forward to any inspiration he receives. Will I do anything he says like I've heard from some people (on this forum and in real life)? No. But when he speaks by the spirit and I receive confirmation from the Holy Ghost I will be right there with everyone else.

AI2.0
captain of 1,000

Post by AI2.0 »

Dustin, ffa shouldn't have to spell it out for you. I think anyone reading the posts on this thread, know what he's referring to. If you don't you could reread it and see for yourself.

AI2.0
captain of 1,000

Post by AI2.0 »

Obrien wrote:I hope Thomas Monson is a prophet. I believe that when he is inspired by the Holy Spirit, he has the right and duty to receive revelation for the church. I believe Thomas Monson is a man, seeking to do God's will to the best of his ability. I know Jesus is thethe only thing I know, nothing wavering.
I appreciate your sharing your testimony, thanks.

I know by the power of faith that Thomas Monson is the Lord's prophet and he leads this church. I also know that Jesus is my Savior and he atoned for my sins and because of the atonement, I am redeemed and will live again with him and Heavenly Father.

While our testimonies may have some differences, they are both testimonies worthy of sharing and allow the holy ghost to bear witness of truth.

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

DPeterson wrote:conversely, just because someone expresses the idea that he is doesn't make it true either.
Therefore, if one doesn't believe our church President to be a prophet, why concern oneself as to whether he speaks by the Spirit or not? Your quote says it all, and is the catalyst for so much nit-picking and fiery darts from some peoples mouths.

Either one believes this, first, or they don't:
Is the phrase only in the bible as a filler?
Is it untrue?
Does it not apply today?

Amos 3:7
7 Surely the Lord God will do nothing, (a)until he revealeth his secret unto his servants the prophets.

Do these next two verses ring a bell? Do they not describe what some people imply doing on this forum?

Daniel 9:6
6 Neither have we hearkened unto thy servants the prophets, which spake in thy name to our kings, our princes, and our fathers, and to all the people of the land.

Daniel 9:10
10 Neither have we obeyed the voice of the Lord our God, to walk in his laws, which he set before us by his servants the prophets.

Thomas S Monson would not be called as Prophet, Seer and a revelatory instrument if He hadn't been called by God.

(a)JST

Paul exhorts members to be subject to God's ministers:

Romans Ch 13 1-7

Paul counsels, Be subject unto God’s ministers; keep the commandments; love one another; righteousness leads to salvation.

1 Let every soul be subject unto the higher powers. For there is no power but of God: the powers that be are ordained of God.
2 Whosoever therefore resisteth the power, resisteth the ordinance of God: and they that resist shall receive to themselves damnation.
3 For rulers are not a terror to good works, but to the evil. Wilt thou then not be afraid of the power? do that which is good, and thou shalt have praise of the same:
4 For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil.
5 Wherefore ye must needs be subject, not only for wrath, but also for conscience sake.
6 For for this cause pay ye tribute also: for they are God’s ministers, attending continually upon this very thing.
7 Render therefore to all their dues: tribute to whom tribute is due; custom to whom custom; fear to whom fear; honour to whom honour.

President Monson is our present day minister.

DPeterson
captain of 100

Post by DPeterson »

AI2.0 wrote:Dustin, ffa shouldn't have to spell it out for you. I think anyone reading the posts on this thread, know what he's referring to. If you don't you could reread it and see for yourself.
He should have to because he's claiming it. This thread is full of testimonies of President Monson. Y'all can just keep whining and complaining about something that isn't happening though. Have fun with that.

DPeterson
captain of 100

Post by DPeterson »

freedomforall wrote:
DPeterson wrote:conversely, just because someone expresses the idea that he is doesn't make it true either.
Therefore, if one doesn't believe our church President to be a prophet, why concern oneself as to whether he speaks by the Spirit or not? Your quote says it all, and is the catalyst for so much nit-picking and fiery darts from some peoples mouths.
He's a prophet when he speaks as one. That's how it is and has always been. One is not always a prophet. Why do y'all have such a hard time understanding that?

When he speaks as one I will give heed. When he doesn't, it doesn't matter. The Holy Ghost will decide. I'm not going to assume everything that comes out of his mouth is prophetic because that's an unreal expectation.

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

DPeterson wrote:
freedomforall wrote:
He's a prophet when he speaks as one. That's how it is and has always been. One is not always a prophet. Why do y'all have such a hard time understanding that?

When he speaks as one I will give heed. When he doesn't, it doesn't matter. The Holy Ghost will decide. I'm not going to assume everything that comes out of his mouth is prophetic because that's an unreal expectation.
On this I totally agree.
The problem is when anyone says that because the President may not be a prophet also, then don't pay heed to them at all.
If one is undecided as to whether he is a prophet or not, this is the basis for listening to him or ignoring him altogether. One has to decide that he is a prophet, therefore being ready and willing to listen and obey, instead of harboring doubt, thus not looking to him for counsel from God when he does speak for God.
Some say he is nothing more than the arm of flesh, so pay no heed and do as one wishes without following counsel.
Granted, some people blindly follow him, while others pray and gain confirmation for things heard. Nevertheless, it doesn't make the prophet any less a prophet just because of how and way that people receive his counsel...or not.
We have a present day prophet...President Thomas S Monson.
Paul, in Romans 13:1-7 tells us to be subject to God's ministers or bring damnation onto our souls. Does Paul know what he is saying, no less than our present day prophet?

Obrien
Up, up and away.

Post by Obrien »

AI2.0 wrote:
Obrien wrote:I hope Thomas Monson is a prophet. I believe that when he is inspired by the Holy Spirit, he has the right and duty to receive revelation for the church. I believe Thomas Monson is a man, seeking to do God's will to the best of his ability. I know Jesus is thethe only thing I know, nothing wavering.

I know by the power of faith that Thomas Monson is the Lord's prophet and he leads this church. I also know that Jesus is my Savior and he atoned for my sins and because of the atonement, I am redeemed and will live again with him and Heavenly Father.
thanks AI2.0. maybe my problem is this - I don't have a witness of Jesus by faith. I have a witness because the Holy Spirit overcame me and told my soul that truth. I've never had anything close to that happen to me about any other being. that's why my witness of TM is a HOPE, not a KNOW.

I just noticed I cut your quote short - not intentional. it's the result of posting from a phone and me not paying enough attention.

boo
captain of 1,000

Post by boo »

Obrien wrote:^^^^ still waiting, brother boo.
I sustain him as a prophet ,seer and revelator. I also believe him when he speaks authoritatively as a spokesman for God ( in hebrew that is what prophet means - spokesman). I have had the privilege of individually visiting with and speaking with every President of the Church since David O McKay. I have personally been in a room with a member of the first presidency and heard him prophesy something truly remarkable "in the name of the Lord". While some may have believed it would happen none of us thought we would live to see it. Then he said "furthermore some in this room will bring this prophesy to pass". I bear testimony that I have lived to see that prophesy fulfilled in every detail. As of that moment the spirit of prophesy and revelation was alive and well. I believe all that President Monson says when he is acting as a prophet. I suppose that there are times when, to paraphrase Joseph, he is not acting as a prophet and only as a man. I do not feel that I am under any obligation to accept what others believe he may or may not have done or experienced or said. I do accept his own testimony of his own experiences. Ultimately I now think the whole issue of the status of the President of the Church is less significant to me than it once might have been. The real issue is my status in the eyes of my Savior. It isn't the President of the Church who is the gatekeeper to the path that leads to eternal life. It is the Savior.
Last edited by boo on August 20th, 2014, 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Obrien
Up, up and away.

Post by Obrien »

AMEN MY BROTHER!

Original_Intent
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Original_Intent »

boo wrote:
I sustain him as a prophet ,seer and revelator. I also believe him when he speaks authoritatively as a spokesman for God ( in hebrew that is what prophet means - spokesman). I have had the privilege of individually visiting with and speaking with every President of the Church since David O McKay. I have personally been in a room with a member of the first presidency and heard him prophesy something truly remarkable "in the name of the Lord". While some may have believed it would happen none of us thought we would live to see it. Then he said "furthermore some in this room will bring this prophesy to pass". I bear testimony that I have lived to see that prophesy fulfilled in every detail. As of that moment the spirit of prophesy and revelation was alive and well. I believe all that President Monson says when he is acting as a prophet. I suppose that there are times when, to paraphrase Joseph, he is not acting as a prophet and only as a man. I do not feel that I am under any obligation to accept what others believe he may or may not have done or experienced or said. I do accept his own testimony of his own experiences. Ultimately I now think the whole issue of the status of the President of the Church is less significant to me than it once might have been. The real issue is my status in the eyes of my Savior. It isn't the President of the Church who is the gatekeeper that leads down the path to eternal life. It is the Savior.
I have wanted to post on this thread but just could not find the words to express how I felt without being a creeper. You expressed my feelings perfectly.

Now let me ruin that perfection by being a bit of a creep; The words "let's go shopping!" were NOT a prophetic announcement - I hope we can all agree on that. I do sustain President Monson as president of the church and as the Lord's chosen mouthpiece to the world. I honor him for his service and I have no doubt that he is a much more faithful servant than almost any of us.

Obrien
Up, up and away.

Post by Obrien »

OI - I don't know how to give 1/2 a thank, so I erred on the side of being generous. :)
based on the posts you've made, you could and would do as much as TM if you had no financial cares and a generous living stipend. that would increase each of our ability to be faithful in church service exponentially.

BagleyDarwin
captain of 100

Post by BagleyDarwin »

Obrien wrote:
AI2.0 wrote:

thanks AI2.0. maybe my problem is this - I don't have a witness of Jesus by faith. I have a witness because the Holy Spirit overcame me and told my soul that truth. I've never had anything close to that happen to me about any other being. that's why my witness of TM is a HOPE, not a KNOW.

I just noticed I cut your quote short - not intentional. it's the result of posting from a phone and me not paying enough attention.
Obrien, when you chastised me for not testifying up above, I felt to say that I find myself in the same boat as you. When it comes to some of these men, I do NOT know if they are prophets, seers, or revelators, because I have not sought to know. I sustain them as such, and I hope that they are such; and, there have been times when they have acted as such in my life. But, I haven't sought for nor received that kind of witness regarding Thomas S. Monson. Therefore, it would be a lie for me to say that I know that he is a Prophet of God, because I don't know any such thing. However, I do feel as if he is a Prophet of God. If it walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then maybe it is a duck. Thomas S. Monson has all the hallmarks of a Prophet, despite my lack of a personal witness regarding the man.

My approach is often the same way with many of the others. I have NO heaven-sent knowledge, but after reading the Book of Mormon many times, it's totally illogical to me to believe that Joseph Smith could have created such a book on his own. The only logical explanation to me is that Joseph had to get some kind of help from Heaven in order to produce that book. In other words, Joseph's explanation of the events has to be true, because no other explanation makes logical sense to me. Such things feel right to me, and that feeling of the Holy Ghost often comes to me; but, I still don't count that as a sure knowledge. Anyway, I have had issues with this all of my life. I'm a doubter, skeptic, critic, and cynic by nature. I have trust issues. I was born that way. And after I got sober a couple of years back, that nagging compulsion to tell the truth came back. So, I can't lie and say that I know something to be true, when I really don't.

e-eye
captain of 100

Post by e-eye »

Original_Intent wrote:
boo wrote:
I sustain him as a prophet ,seer and revelator. I also believe him when he speaks authoritatively as a spokesman for God ( in hebrew that is what prophet means - spokesman). I have had the privilege of individually visiting with and speaking with every President of the Church since David O McKay. I have personally been in a room with a member of the first presidency and heard him prophesy something truly remarkable "in the name of the Lord". While some may have believed it would happen none of us thought we would live to see it. Then he said "furthermore some in this room will bring this prophesy to pass". I bear testimony that I have lived to see that prophesy fulfilled in every detail. As of that moment the spirit of prophesy and revelation was alive and well. I believe all that President Monson says when he is acting as a prophet. I suppose that there are times when, to paraphrase Joseph, he is not acting as a prophet and only as a man. I do not feel that I am under any obligation to accept what others believe he may or may not have done or experienced or said. I do accept his own testimony of his own experiences. Ultimately I now think the whole issue of the status of the President of the Church is less significant to me than it once might have been. The real issue is my status in the eyes of my Savior. It isn't the President of the Church who is the gatekeeper that leads down the path to eternal life. It is the Savior.

I have wanted to post on this thread but just could not find the words to express how I felt without being a creeper. You expressed my feelings perfectly.

Now let me ruin that perfection by being a bit of a creep; The words "let's go shopping!" were NOT a prophetic announcement - I hope we can all agree on that. I do sustain President Monson as president of the church and as the Lord's chosen mouthpiece to the world. I honor him for his service and I have no doubt that he is a much more faithful servant than almost any of us.
I don't know OI when the kids are hungry and need shoes - My wife says the same thing. ;)
Last edited by e-eye on August 21st, 2014, 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

investigator
captain of 100

Post by investigator »

Should we have faith in Thomas S. Monson?

Obrien
Up, up and away.

Post by Obrien »

investigator wrote:Should we have faith in Thomas S. Monson?
Have faith in Jesus. build on the rock.

investigator
captain of 100

Post by investigator »

That's what I thought, however, Preach My Gospel says...
We are to have faith in God’s chosen prophet, gain conviction of his divine calling, and follow his teachings
Lesson 4: The Commandments
http://www.lds.org/manual/preach-my-gos ... s?lang=eng" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Obrien
Up, up and away.

Post by Obrien »

I've never read Preach my Gospel. Never will. Don't really care what it says...