Romney supports minimum wage hike

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
andsmith0723
captain of 50

Re: Romney supports minimum wage hike

Post by andsmith0723 »

Good. Prices are going up in virtually every facet of life, the minimum wage needs to be raised. It should have been raised several years ago.
Minimum wage in our country is NOT the problem.

lundbaek
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by lundbaek »

I have the right to raise the wages of my employees and you have the right to raise the wages of your employees. But what makes you think I have the right to dictate what you pay your employees or that you have the right to dictate what I pay my employees ?

caddis
captain of 1,000

Post by caddis »

lundbaek wrote:I have the right to raise the wages of my employees and you have the right to raise the wages of your employees. But what makes you think I have the right to dictate what you pay your employees or that you have the right to dictate what I pay my employees ?
They believe they have the right because most people wouldn't know freedom ( free agency) if it hit them in the face. You see they believe it's okay to dictate to others as long as it falls under what they believe is moral. There was a guy that got kicked out of heaven because that was his plan.

Original_Intent
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Original_Intent »

Steve Clark
captain of 1,000

Post by Steve Clark »

andsmith0723 wrote:Good. Prices are going up in virtually every facet of life, the minimum wage needs to be raised. It should have been raised several years ago.
Minimum wage in our country is NOT the problem.

This misses the point completely. This isn't a question of whether you can support a family on $7.25/hr or not.

The first requirement that the minimum wage has to justify is: Is it moral? The answer is no. If you disagree, please show how forcing someone to pay a higher wage than the work is worth is moral.

The second question is the efficacy of raising the min wage as a mechanism of improving living conditions. See Col's post above about raising it $.50/hr. It results in fewer jobs overall.

Hyrcanus
captain of 100

Post by Hyrcanus »

Romney certainly realizes the economic implications, but he apparently believes that Republicans need this votes he believes this issue will bring. Democrats realizes the exact same thing but are championing the issue only to buy the votes of Romney's beloved "47%".

This, like lots of other hot button issues are important only because people vote on them. They are actually important because they have a meaningful impact. You could raise the minimum wage to $50/hour. The result will be the same, people that can generate $50+ per hour of value to their employer will have a job, those that can't will be unemployed.