Trying for a baby

A place for conservative women to discuss true women's liberation, the role of women in healing America, the truth about feminism and more...
KatieB_92
Hi, I'm new.

Trying for a baby

Post by KatieB_92 »

My husband and I have been married for 2 1/2 years and we are now trying for a baby. It's been about a month and a half, I was just wondering if there's anything I should be doing/know about? Any advice would be appreciated! :)

Thanks!

~Katie B.

heartsongs
captain of 100

Re: Trying for a baby

Post by heartsongs »

Hello! I would say a good place to start is to eat "whole" live healthy foods. No boxed, fake, preservative filled, empty calorie, GMO, steroid infested and pesticide laden foods. For me, I don't eat anything that isn't real. Such as margarine...Nope, don't touch it. It isn't real food. I use butter, in moderation that I purchase from a local diary farm where I buy my yogurt and cheese. No fat low calorie yogurt, Nope, not for me. It isn't real food. I get my yogurt at a dairy farm nearby where I live made with real unprocessed cows milk. Best yogurt you ever ate. I also try to have at least 50% of what I eat raw, such as fruits and vegetables. I only use whole wheat and stay away from white breads. I grind my own wheat too. I also try to buy only organic food to keep the consumption of pesticides down. Also, I would steer clear from fluoride. It's in the tap water, your mouthwash and toothpaste, and even some pots and pans. Fluoride causes infertility and a whole host of other things. See the article below from Natural News.

http://www.naturalhealth365.com/food_news/fluoride.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Fluoride linked to infertility, birth defects and low IQ

September 3, 2012 by Dr. Dittmann
Filed under Dangerous Chemicals, Food News

Leave a comment
Tue. Sept. 4, 2012 by Roy Dittman, OMD, MH, DM

(NaturalHealth365) Over 75 percent of America’s municipal water supply is now fluoridated. In general, our drinking water contains around 1 part per million (1 mcg/ml). Your body is generally able to eliminate about half of its daily fluoride intake, leaving the other half to accumulate over time. Chronic long-term exposure of couples to fluoride before conception and during pregnancy has been shown to negatively affect fertility and the health of future children.

Even if you have a water filter, you are still ingesting fluoride

In the agricultural and food industry, fluoridated water is used to water crops, wash produce, prepare chicken, and to manufacture all sorts of commercial cereals. The fluoride residue left on commercial produce and in packaged foods is often ten times higher than that found in water. (1) In addition to watering fields and processing food with fluoridated water, fluoride based pesticides are also being used to control pests.

The fluoride based pesticide cryolite (Kryocide®) is sprayed primarily on California-grown grape crops (and therefore is turning up in California wines). Unfortunately, cryolite is authorized by the USDA to be sprayed on crops labeled “organic”. (2)

Research published in Scientific American analyzed the amount of fluoride found in 10 common foods and drinks.

Fluoride content of 10 common foods and drinks: (3)

Brewed Black Tea — 3.73
Raisins — 2.34
White Wine — 2.02
Apple Flavored Juice Drink — 1.09
Brewed Coffee — 0.91
Tap Water — 0.71 (U.S. average)
Hot Dog — 0.61
Diet Coke — 0.60
Beer — 0.45
Milk — 0.03

What is dangerous for babies is even more dangerous to your future baby. For this reason, I strongly advise couples getting ready to conceive to use fluoride-free dental products and drink fluoride-free water before conception. (4)

BEFORE PREGNANCY

Fluoride destroys enzymes and suppresses your thyroid (5)
Fluoride breaks apart enzymes, interfering with our cell’s ability to repair itself (DNA repair). The systems in your body that are the most effected by fluoride’s enzyme interference include: your immune system, your muscles, your connective tissue, your bones, and… your thyroid gland.

Fluoride displaces iodine in your thyroid gland. Without bioavailable iodine, your thyroid becomes underactive. People with underactive thyroid glands tend to gain weight. In 1955, the New England Journal of Medicine reported a 400% increase in the number of thyroid cancer cases in the years after San Francisco’s water began to be fluoridated. (6)

Blockbuster drugs contain fluoride

If you are currently on any of the following drugs and are planning on having a baby, I strongly encourage you to work with a wholistic doctor to transition safely off of any of the following fluoridated drugs:

Anesthetics
Antacids
Anti-anxiety
Antibiotics
Antidepressants
Anti-fungal antibiotics
Antihistamines

The hidden fluoride in your non-stick cookware
The non-stick Teflon chemical, PFOA, is a fluoride-based chemical, which is often used to coat aluminum cookware. This is known as the double-threat: aluminum and Teflon (with fluoride). Teflon was banned by the FDA due to a significant correlation between the chemical and birth defects, cancer, and nervous system disorders in both rats and humans. (8, 9)

Just how deadly is fluoride to the nervous system?
Sarin nerve gas (Isopropyl-Methyl-Phosphoryl-Fluoride), which is classified by the U.N. as a weapon of mass destruction, works in part by releasing lethal doses of fluoride gas. (10)

Fluoride suppresses fertility
When male rats were exposed to 2, 4, and 6 ppm of sodium fluoride in their drinking water, their testicles and prostate gland shrank in size. In addition, sperm counts plummeted and the sperm that were produced were dysfunctional. The concentration of protein in the testes (needed to manufacture new sperm) was also significantly suppressed. (11)

DURING PREGNANCY

Fluoride exposure during pregnancy may suppress your future child’s I.Q.
Several research studies conducted in China clearly correlate fluoride exposure to low I.Q. in school children. (12, 13)

Fluoride exposure in the womb linked to psychiatric disorders
There is a correlation between sodium fluoride exposure during pregnancy and neurological and psychiatric disorders in children and adults. (14)

Low birth rate and birth defects linked to fluoride
In communities that are fluoridated, low birth rates are seen. (15) In fact, fluoride has been removed from various animal feeds, because of a high incidence of birth defects in their offspring. (16, 17)

About the author: Dr. Roy Dittman is author of Brighton Baby: A Revolutionary Organic Approach to Having an Extraordinary Child, a ground-breaking, three-book trilogy (first book due out in print in September 2012).

With over 30 years of experience in perinatal and longevity sciences, Dr. Dittman’s life-long commitment to transforming the way in which we conceive, birth, and raise children inspires couples to take action now to protect their future children’s destiny. You can follow him on Facebook, at BrightonBaby.com, and through his weekly blog on NaturalHealth365.com

References:
1. Null G. Fluoridation: Medicating our water, Part 2. Townsend Letter, December 2010, p. 72.
2. Huff, Ethan A. Is there fluoride in your grapes? NaturalNews.com, August 9, 2012. Available online at http://www.naturalnews.com/036753_fluor ... rapes.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Accessed online August 9, 2012.
3. University of Iowa College of Dentistry. Scientific American, January 2008; p. 80
4. Canadian Environmental Protection Act, Unpublished Final Draft titled, “Priority Substances List Assessment Report, Inorganic Fluorides”, January 1994. Available online at http://www.fluoridation.com/skeletal.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Accessed online November 4, 2011
5. Dr. Barry Durrant-Peatfield, MBBS, LRCP, MRCS, Medical Advisor to Thyroid UK. The effects of fluoride on the thyroid gland. September 9, 2004. Available at http://rense.com/general57/FLUR.HTM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Accessed online September 2, 2012.
6. Alexander MJ. Occurrence of thyroid cancer in San Francisco. N Engl J Med July 14, 1955; Volume 253, pp. 45-51.
7. Index of Fluoridated Pharmaceuticals. Fluoride Toxicity Research Collaborative. Available online at http://www.slweb.org/ftrcfluorinatedpharm.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Accessed online September 2, 2012.
8. Environews: The risks of nonstick. Environmental Health Perspectives, November 2003; Volume 111, Number 14, p. A753.
9. Mary Ashby Brown. Key teflon chemical: center lawsuits and debates. Litigation update. 6 Sustainbable Dev. L. & Pol’y 66 (2005-2006). Available online at http://heinonline.org/HOL/LandingPage?c ... &id=&page=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Accessed online September 2, 2012.
10. Jakubowski EM, McGuire JM, Evans RA, et al. Quantitation of fluoride ion released sarin in red blood cell samples by gas chromatography – chemical ionization mass spectrometry using isotope dilution and large-volume injection. Journal of Analytical Toxicology, July/August 2004; Volume 28, pp. 357-363.
11. Gupta RS, Khan TI, Agrawal D, et al. The toxic effects of sodium fluoride on the reproductive system of male rats. Toxicol Ind Health, October 2007; Volume 23, Number 9, pp. 507-13.
12. Xiang, et al. Effect of Fluoride in Drinking Water on Children’s Intelligence. Fluoride, May 2003.
13. Li, et al. Effect of excessive fluoride intake on mental work capacity of children and preliminary study of its mechanism. J West China University of Medical Sciences 1994; Volume 25, pp. 188-9.
14. Flace P, Benagiano V, Vermesan D, et al. Effects of developmental fluoride exposure on rat ultrasonic vocalization, acousting startle reflex and pre-pulse inhibition. Eur Rev Med Pharmacol Sci. June 2010; Volume 14, Number 6, pp. 507-12.
15. Freni SC. Exposure to high fluoride concentrations in drinking water is associated with decreased birth rates. J Toxicol Environ Health 1994; Volume 42, Number 1, pp. 109-21.
16. Pushpalatha T, Srinivas M, Sreenivasula Reddy P. Exposure to high fluoride concentration in drinking water will affect spermatogenesis and steroidogenesis in male albino rats. Biometals 2005; Volume 18, Number 3, pp. 207-12.
17. Donald Hillman, et al. Hypothyroidism and Anemia Related to Fluoride in Dairy Cattle. Journal of Dairy Science, March 1979; Volume 62, Issue 3, pp. 416-423.
STAY INFORMED! FREE Shows + Live Events

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

Eat citrus and other fruits (esp. for folic acid) regularly for both male and female at least three months before trying.

bobhenstra
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by bobhenstra »

WHAT??? EAT?? That's not how it's done---- :-?

Sis, just relax and have fun---- A simple thermometer helped Jo and I with our first. The rest happened because of unplanned 2 am forays into the----known!

We had 8 kids!

Bob

blondenblueeyed
captain of 100

Post by blondenblueeyed »

KatieB_92 wrote:My husband and I have been married for 2 1/2 years and we are now trying for a baby. It's been about a month and a half, I was just wondering if there's anything I should be doing/know about? Any advice would be appreciated! :)

Thanks!

~Katie B.
Eat fertile eggs and don't fret about not getting pregnant right away. Soon you will be having babies one after another before you know it. ;)

Valiance
captain of 100

Post by Valiance »

bobhenstra wrote:WHAT??? EAT?? That's not how it's done---- :-?

Sis, just relax and have fun---- A simple thermometer helped Jo and I with our first. The rest happened because of unplanned 2 am forays into the----known!

We had 8 kids!

Bob
I was just gonna say the same sort of thing Bobby, LOL! Just enjoy the intimacy with your husband and the excitement in trying... the way I look at it... what's meant to be is meant to be... my wife and I tried like heck for a few years to have our 4th child, but nada, so we just sort of figured our family was complete, then one day after our youngest was already 12, a pregnancy test revealed the Lord was not done with us bringing children into the world yet. Sexual intercourse is a beautiful thing between two people who love each other... enjoy it and trust in the Lord to help you get pregnant and if that still doesn't work, pray fervently for a child.

Bryan LJ
captain of 100

Post by Bryan LJ »

Valiance wrote: I was just gonna say the same sort of thing Bobby, LOL! Just enjoy the intimacy with your husband and the excitement in trying... the way I look at it... what's meant to be is meant to be... my wife and I tried like heck for a few years to have our 4th child, but nada, so we just sort of figured our family was complete, then one day after our youngest was already 12, a pregnancy test revealed the Lord was not done with us bringing children into the world yet. Sexual intercourse is a beautiful thing between two people who love each other... enjoy it and trust in the Lord to help you get pregnant and if that still doesn't work, pray fervently for a child.
This is very awkward to say but you can TRY too much and it makes it less effective. Although enjoying it and not stressing is good advice. Stress/ frustration of trying and trying makes it less effective. Also being intimate every other day versus several times is more effective because it lets the sperm count build itself up better. Not to brag but I guess I have been so successful that my wife seems to get pregnant even on birth control! :-o

Jason
Master of Puppets

Post by Jason »

Physically speaking...odds are better if the woman hits the moment first...

Thomas
captain of 1,000

Post by Thomas »

Simeon wrote:
Valiance wrote: I was just gonna say the same sort of thing Bobby, LOL! Just enjoy the intimacy with your husband and the excitement in trying... the way I look at it... what's meant to be is meant to be... my wife and I tried like heck for a few years to have our 4th child, but nada, so we just sort of figured our family was complete, then one day after our youngest was already 12, a pregnancy test revealed the Lord was not done with us bringing children into the world yet. Sexual intercourse is a beautiful thing between two people who love each other... enjoy it and trust in the Lord to help you get pregnant and if that still doesn't work, pray fervently for a child.
This is very awkward to say but you can TRY too much and it makes it less effective. Although enjoying it and not stressing is good advice. Stress/ frustration of trying and trying makes it less effective. Also being intimate every other day versus several times is more effective because it lets the sperm count build itself up better. Not to brag but I guess I have been so successful that my wife seems to get pregnant even on birth control! :-o
Ouch!

idahommie
captain of 100

Post by idahommie »

Practice, lots of practice, and have fun. All the other crap mentioned here are distractions..............

Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fiannan »

Advice for the woman: Relaxation and exercise combined with he nutritional advice already given on the forum (also, keep your min on sex...this will increase the hormones associated with higher fertility).

For the man the same advice. Also eat a lot of meat, nuts an avocados.

And have sex a lot. It is a myth that more sex reduces fertility -- the opposite is true. In fact, more sex will result in fresher, healthier and stronger sperm.

MelissaM
captain of 100

Post by MelissaM »

I would begin to study birth and breastfeeding. Yes- even before pregnancy. Once that test comes back positive, you are on the clock. The US mode of childbirth has an over 30% c-section rate and all kinds of atrocitities are perpetuated on women and newborns. Knowledge is power.

Rick Grimes
captain of 100

Post by Rick Grimes »

Try, try, and try again! :ymdevil: Have fun while you're at it! You're not a breeding chicken, enjoy it and worry less about temps and foods. Those are all distractions.

ChelC
The Law

Post by ChelC »

I read this thread a while back and was frustrated with it but never commented. I was reminded of it today when I heard about this book:
http://www.amazon.com/Shooting-Blanks-h ... ing+blanks" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

OPer may already be expecting, who knows. I'm not suggesting that she start worrying after a month and a half of trying. It's considered normal for it to take up to a year. But I do want to address some things - some of which are in this thread and other things I encountered along the way and aren't directed at anyone specifically. Having nearly 16 years of infertility under my belt, I think I can share some hard earned wisdom. I also hope that my comments will be read with compassion. I really do intend to educate, not contend. This is a very painful thing for a lot of people, including myself.

1. Suggesting that you're macho (even as a joke) because your wife got pregnant easily is offensive. The number and motility of your swimmers isn't a notch on your belt. It isn't your accomplishment at all. Thank Heavenly Father for your blessings and please, bite your tongue around people for whom this is a painful subject. Infertility doesn't just suck, it give you hope and smashes that hope again and again, month after month.

The most macho things my husband did were to comfort me, pray with me, bless me, cry with me, and participate in the journey.

Most commonly it's ovulation issues, not sperm count that cause infertility. People who joke about the husband "shooting blanks" in this scenario are just demonstrating ignorance. And in case you're right and it is male factor infertility, you just come off as insensitive and gloating.

2. While it's true that stress can have an adverse reaction to fertility, if the man has diminished sperm count or no sperm at all or if the woman is not ovulating, relaxing is just going to waste a bunch of time.

3. Please don't give advice that you heard somewhere which may be inaccurate. I can't tell you how many remedies and things I tried out of desperation that really don't have any basis in fact.

4. Don't suggest that if Heavenly Father wants someone to have a baby he'll give them one. And don't suggest that the couple is unworthy of healing. And don't suggest that seeking medical help demonstrates a lack of faith. We live in a telestial world. Heavenly Father has blessed us with knowledge and brains and while He can certainly heal and bring miracles about, He also expects us to use our noodles.

5. Don't tell people to "just adopt". First of all, that makes adoption sound like a consolation prize. Second of all adoption is a difficult and expensive process. Third, adoption is not about taking whatever kid you can get, but about finding your child. Advice like "just relax" and "just adopt" make it sound like these are easy things to do and those of us struggling are crazy.

6. Don't say you know someone who adopted and then got pregnant. For one thing, this implies again that adoption is a consolation prize and a birth child is the ultimate goal. Second of all, we "adopted and then got pregnant" and we're probably one of the couples people tell stories about. What most people don't know is that we didn't happen to get pregnant. We were getting treatment because we couldn't afford another adoption at that time. I shudder to think of how many infertile couples are subjected to stories about my husband and myself that are related out of ignorance.

7. The last main point I want to make is this. When you have been trying long enough that fertility becomes a worry, it can destroy the beauty of marital intimacy. It becomes a chore. I hated all the comments about how fun (wink, wink) trying is. You know what? Forgive my coarse (clinical actually) language, but helping your husband ejaculate into a cup to take to a lab isn't fun. Propping pillows afterward to give sperm that recommended 20 minutes is also not fun. Getting shots in the hip is not fun. Taking pills that make you crazy is not fun. Having your cervix opened with a catheter to test if your ovaries are open and vomiting from the pain is not fun. Feeling like you "have to" because it's the right time is certainly not fun. Wondering if this cycle will be successful in the middle of the trying is not romantic or fun. Actually, for MOST infertile couples, prescribed intimacy is an elephant in the room which can cause hard feelings on both sides.

My advice to the OPer - If you want your greatest chance of success, chart your cycle. Read Taking Charge of Your Fertility. Amazon has very inexpensive ovulation tests these days (when we were first trying an ovulation test kit was $60 per cycle!). Use those to pinpoint your fertile days. If you have irregular cycles or your charting and testing indicates that you aren't ovulating, see a doctor, don't wait. If you are regular and seem to be ovulating and you find yourself a year in with no luck, make sure your husband has a semen analysis before you subject yourself to testing or fertility drugs. It's much easier and less expensive for him to get checked out than you so start there.

Using lubricants can actually kill sperm, so if you need lubricants choose a sperm friendly variety like Preseed (found online or at Walgreens). Make sure your husband is not wearing pants that are too tight or regularly taking hot baths or sitting in a jacuzzi. If there are any sperm issues, they can be worsened by this. Sperm should be a few degrees cooler than body temperature which is why the testicles are where they are!

There are some natural remedies that work, but research well. A lot of the homeopathic remedies either didn't work for me, or messed me up. I did have success with Vitex (not a pregnancy, but it did jump start ovulation), but please don't take ANYTHING willy nilly. Research. Pray. Ultimately, Heavenly Father's plan for you will be better than anything you can imagine for yourself. Trust Him. He will help you make the decisions you need to make. If He doesn't give you answers after fasting and prayer, it's probably because He trusts you! What everyone else says (including me!) is irrelevant. Heavenly Father will lead you.

For anyone in the middle of this battle right now. I'm sorry. I'm sorry that this time is so painful. I'm sorry that life feels completely out of your control. Cry when you need to, you've earned a good cry. You aren't crazy. I won't tell you not to worry. I won't tell you it will all work out how you imagined. But keep going. You'll find your way.

WhereCanITurn4Peace
captain of 100

Post by WhereCanITurn4Peace »

It's great to see you posting again, ChelC :)

Marion
captain of 10

Post by Marion »

A fascinating look at what we do not have in our bodies that prevents good health is found in this lecture By Dr E Tent. He has healed 80% of those seeking his help all by natural means, mostly replacing minerals not available in our soils and food any more. Something to think about. Best wishes in your desire. Children and grandchildren are a treasure. Marion

The video is here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aHRMjVHggI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;