Fundamental Mormons & Plural Marriage

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
Melissa
captain of 1,000

Re: Fundamental Mormons & Plural Marriage

Post by Melissa »

Interesting find Aussie, not surprising to me at all that this woman changed her life style to monogamy and that she felt polygamy was hell.

In the beginning of the post, it mentioned that the men were trying to attain godhood by obtaining greater numbers of wives and children. Is this why the prophets and apostles had so many wives in our early church? The women wanted to be sealed to the prophet because she would guarantee herself a spot in heaven? Seems very wrong to me.

Is there a polygamy story out there that is a positive one? Even in the early church it seemed to be negative.

This lady in your post mentioned something I found interesting. She said that she would tell other polygamist women to pay attention to their gut feelings and to learn to gain some self worth, basically to get out of such an oppressive lifestyle where they feel terrible and neglected.

People in our church really think polygamy would work? What makes it work (future, hypothetical reinstatement) in our church versus all the many other groups where it doesn't work? This lady was all in for the sake of religion and the fear of not making it to heaven if she didn't enter polygamy, this sounds like a pretty honest effort of faith and sacrifice and diligence to me. Why did it not work?

AussieOi
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by AussieOi »

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/s ... ves_and_i/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here goes 2 hours of your life

Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fiannan »

AussieOi I would hesitate to put so much in one woman's experience of turning away from polygamy. I can assure you that there are hundreds of thousands of American women, now in lesbian relationships, that could say or write of their shattered lives when married in monogamous relationships with men.

Silas
captain of 1,000

Post by Silas »

Melissa wrote:Interesting find Aussie, not surprising to me at all that this woman changed her life style to monogamy and that she felt polygamy was hell.

In the beginning of the post, it mentioned that the men were trying to attain godhood by obtaining greater numbers of wives and children. Is this why the prophets and apostles had so many wives in our early church? The women wanted to be sealed to the prophet because she would guarantee herself a spot in heaven? Seems very wrong to me.

Is there a polygamy story out there that is a positive one? Even in the early church it seemed to be negative.

This lady in your post mentioned something I found interesting. She said that she would tell other polygamist women to pay attention to their gut feelings and to learn to gain some self worth, basically to get out of such an oppressive lifestyle where they feel terrible and neglected.

People in our church really think polygamy would work? What makes it work (future, hypothetical reinstatement) in our church versus all the many other groups where it doesn't work? This lady was all in for the sake of religion and the fear of not making it to heaven if she didn't enter polygamy, this sounds like a pretty honest effort of faith and sacrifice and diligence to me. Why did it not work?
Surely you can cognitively understand that even if you would be unhappy some people are very happy with polygamy? Joseph F Smith and his wives by all accounts seem to have been very happy with their arrangement. He was a very kind and gentle man and had a very loving and strong relationships with all five of his wives and they with him. As has been mentioned stories about people who marry and are content and happy with their situations rarely become best-sellers. That is true with monogamy as well. There are countless stories of monogamous marriages where the man is overbearing, domineering and abusive. Some women come out of bad monogamous marriages thinking that no one really can be happy with marriage. You can agree though that in spite of being justified by their experiences their views are somewhat short-sighted? In fact many people are very happy with monogamous marriages in spite of the many examples of it not working out for others.

firend
captain of 1,000

Post by firend »

I think the story is always the few vs everyone else. I am sure somewhere someone in time has lived happy polygamy.

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

firend wrote:I think the story is always the few vs everyone else. I am sure somewhere someone in time has lived happy polygamy.
The difference is between a wicked leader or a righteous leader. Evil begets evil. Righteousness begets righteousness. God would not condone a wicked leader even in polygamy. It is a shame that wicked leaders do evil acts in the name of the Lord. Just who do they think they're foolin"?

Fairminded
captain of 1,000

Post by Fairminded »

freedomfighter wrote: The difference is between a wicked leader or a righteous leader. Evil begets evil. Righteousness begets righteousness.
+1
God would not condone a wicked leader even in polygamy. It is a shame that wicked leaders do evil acts in the name of the Lord. Just who do they think they're foolin"?
I'd say just about everyone all the time.