High Demand for Guns?

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

High Demand for Guns?

Post by Rose Garden »

My husband just started a job at a machine shop that produces silencers for guns. He says that their business has been booming lately. They've been in business for four years and started out as a small shop, but now are much bigger, 36,000 square feet to be exact, with plans to build and hire more.

I thought this was very interesting in light of the political fight against guns. First of all, silencers are a bit questionable in nature in the first place. You know, people not committing crimes aren't going to be as concerned about producing a lot of noise when firing a gun. But also, just the fact that a gun part is selling well is pretty interesting given the political and economical climate.

So it might not have anything to do with gun sales in general. It might just be that the owners of this particular shop are really smart business men. But it got me wondering. Anyone know if guns are selling well right now? Anyone got any other ideas on the implications of this?

TheProfessor
captain of 100

Re: High Demand for Guns?

Post by TheProfessor »

Just about anything related to firearms is backordered or approaching that status. I have a relative that owns a shop that manufactures AR15 components and they are moving to a 24 hour production cycle due to demand.

The current climate related to guns is exactly the reason why everything is being bought up right now; the fear that the ability to buy such things may go away. Silencers are sometimes desired by those who use handguns for home defense, as the reduced noise can prevent disorientation and damage to one's hearing.

JerL
captain of 100

Post by JerL »

I'm surprised you even have to ask. Where I live you can't find an AR-10 or AR-15 or decent semi-auto pistol or magazines for any of these on the shelves. Nor can you find any ammunition for these.

I was in a local sporting goods store the day of the Sandy Hook shooting (before I knew about it) and noticed they had about 20 or so AR style rifles. I went back a week later and they had been cleaned out within 5 days of the shooting. I was in another store that sells firearms on Saturday and they had also been cleaned out, and barely any ammo left at all. Same at Walmart. From what I hear it is the same all over.

uglypitbull
captain of 1,000

Post by uglypitbull »

TheProfessor wrote:Silencers are sometimes desired by those who use handguns for home defense, as the reduced noise can prevent disorientation and damage to one's hearing.
:ymapplause:

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

I have to ask because I don't know anything about guns. I don't own one and have barely even touched any in my lifetime. I was raised in a home with anti-gun sentiment. Didn't take me long to get over that after my brother presented an argument against gun-free schools to me. Just makes sense. However, I've still never gotten around to getting a gun myself. Maybe I'll have to give one to my husband for his birthday. He'd love one.

kgrigio
captain of 100

Post by kgrigio »

As stated earlier, anything related to AR's are out and will be for some time. Brownell's, an online retailer sold 3.5 years worth of 30 round AR mags in 3 days a week or so ago and the hysteria is only getting worse. I did a lot of searching for AR's around the thanksgiving time because I had a feeling something like this was going to happen. I had my eye on a particular model Daniel Defense and found several listings on gunbroker for around $1300-$1500. I checked earlier this week and the same gun is listing for over $3000, but there was only one listing, whereas in November, you could easily find 10-15 sales for the particular model I was looking for.

I have been talking to a fellow in my ward who sounds like he is in the same boat as you and now feels the urge to get a gun. I recommended before getting a handgun, to get an inexpensive shotgun that can be used for both home defense as well as hunting. I purchased a Mossberg 500 20 gauge from Walmart several years ago and it is perfect. It has a shorter barrel for home defense as it is technically called a youth shotgun, but it came with both a bird barrel and a rifled barrel for deer hunting. It is a great all around gun for the price, which was at the time around $250. In addition, the 20 gauge makes it easier for my wife and older kids to handle if the need ever arises.

After a shotgun, I would recommend a .22 rifle, like the Ruger 10/22. Both of these guns will serve dual purposes, defense, as well as providing the opportunity to hunt if needed. In addition, they will allow you to become familiar with guns, how to use them, how to care for them, and how to feel comfortable around them. After that, a handgun would be next on the list.

With any gun purchase, make sure you get a lot of ammunition whenever you can. If the SHTF, ammunition will be a huge bargaining chip, especially the .22 LR and any other common caliber.

Rensai
captain of 1,000

Post by Rensai »

I think the real reason demand is so high is because everyone knows the government will not respect the 2nd amendment and will soon pass very onerous gun restrictions if not outright ban them.
http://www.infowars.com/feinstein-and-f ... for-broke/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

After reading Senator Dianne Feinstein’s new so-called “Assault Weapons” Ban, I can only describe it as the effective END of the Second Amendment in America.

The definition of an “Assault Weapon” in this bill is so broad you can drive a truck through it!

They’re targeting EVERYTHING — rifles, shotguns and even handguns.

You see, the gun-grabbers are going for broke.

Even owners of supposedly “grandfathered” firearms will be treated like common criminals.

If passed, Feinstein’s so-called “Assault Weapons” Ban would:

– Ban the sale, transfer, importation, and manufacturing or 120 specifically named rifles, shotguns and handguns;

– Ban the sale, transfer, importation and manufacturing of ALL firearms with a detachable magazine and at least one “military characteristic” — which could mean just about anything that makes a gun “look scary.”

– Bans the sale, transfer, importation, and manufacturing of magazines holding more than 10 rounds;

– Force owners of ALL “grandfathered” weapons to undergo an intrusive background check and unnecessary fingerprinting;

– Force owners of ALL “grandfathered” weapons to federally register their guns after obtaining permission slip from local law enforcement showing their guns are not in violation of state or local law. That’s right. If you own a $10 magazine that’s more than 10 rounds, you’ll have to register it with the BATFE in their National Firearms Registry.

And you and I both know registration is only the first step toward outright confiscation. So don’t be fooled.

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

Thanks for the info, kgrigio. The Mossberg sounds perfect. I hope the market calms down some in the next couple months before my husband's birthday so I have a chance of getting my hands on something.

Rensai, I'm certain you're right. And honestly, once the feds put their mind to something sinister, they don't give up until they've got it. They just keep rehashing the same stuff until they accomplish it. (Funny how the good bills die a permanent death, though.) But I have to say, if guns are flying off the shelves now, it seems to me they are going to people who are aware of the danger from the government and probably aren't going to be terribly compliant with all these new laws. I can hope anyway.

ktg
captain of 100

Post by ktg »

Called to Serve wrote:First of all, silencers are a bit questionable in nature in the first place. You know, people not committing crimes aren't going to be as concerned about producing a lot of noise when firing a gun.
Disagree. [-(

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

Please explain, ktg. As I said, I know next to nothing about guns. I'm open to ideas.

ktg
captain of 100

Post by ktg »

Called to Serve wrote:Please explain, ktg. As I said, I know next to nothing about guns. I'm open to ideas.
There are lots of lawful reasons to own a suppressor. I've wanted one for years and I have no intention of committing crimes. Hearing protection is a good one but coyote hunting is a big one for me. I envision a 300 AAC Blackout shooting 220 gr Matchkings at 1050 fps (just under the speed of sound) with a suppressor. When calling coyotes, many times more than one will come in. The report of the first shot will send them running. If they couldn't hear the shot, they wouldn't have reason to run and hopefully I'd get them all.
won't go into the hypothetical reasons that may come about where a silent gun would be very handy.

AmericanBulldog
captain of 100

Post by AmericanBulldog »

There are lots of lawful reasons to own a suppressor. I've wanted one for years and I have no intention of committing crimes. Hearing protection is a good one but coyote hunting is a big one for me. I envision a 300 AAC Blackout shooting 220 gr Matchkings at 1050 fps (just under the speed of sound) with a suppressor. When calling coyotes, many times more than one will come in. The report of the first shot will send them running. If they couldn't hear the shot, they wouldn't have reason to run and hopefully I'd get them all.
won't go into the hypothetical reasons that may come about where a silent gun would be very handy.
+1 - I would love to have a silencer for that, or even for my .22 cal while at bunny hunting.

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

TheProfessor wrote:Silencers are sometimes desired by those who use handguns for home defense, as the reduced noise can prevent disorientation and damage to one's hearing.
Guns can be very loud. Someone said he heard an explosion, woke people up--but it turned out to be a guy shooting his AR-15 in the backyard.