Why do these things always happen in Utah?

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated

Why do these things always happen in Utah?

Post by Fiannan »

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?sid=223741 ... featured-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I mean really, these school officials would have kicked out Ann Romney if she had been wearing the dress she wore on Leno? This sort of thing alienates young people.

AussieOi
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Why do these things always happen in Utah?

Post by AussieOi »

dresses look fine to me
nazi school officials

ajax
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by ajax »

AussieOi wrote:dresses look fine to me
nazi school officials
Agreed.

sadie_Mormon
captain of 1,000

Post by sadie_Mormon »

Well if they had submitted these rules before the dance for a guideline to parents then their was no excuse for some of those dresses to be worn. Such as the one girl who has a dress that was strapless and the other that was way above the knee. I'm not saying they should be dressed like they came off the prairie but there are clearly rules the school has and they don't seem unreasonable to me at all. Maybe the school didn't press it enough with the parents?

This happens other places too not just Utah. I think Utah just seems to get more attention when it happens ;)

This is what they have posted on their website.

"Reminder: The Formal Dance Dress Code is located on page 30 of the student planner and there are posters up around school showing examples. Students are expected to look their best and dress appropriately."

"Dresses should be at or near knee length. Slits in the dresses should not be any higher than the top of the knee. Strapless dresses are prohibited unless a jacket or shawl is worn. 'Plunging' necklines are prohibited. The backs of dresses should not show more than 1/3 of the back (directly below the armpits). Midriffs should not show in any way. 'Sheer' fabric is acceptable, as long as skin is not showing underneath."

ajax
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by ajax »

Fiannan wrote:This sort of thing alienates young people.
True.
sadie_Mormon wrote:I think Utah just seems to get more attention when it happens ;)
Because mormons have turned modesty into a crazy fetish.

The girl with the strapless is wearing a black sweater around the shoulders.

:-o Snap out of it. I'm embarrassed at myself that I even took the time to look closely at the girls dresses. See how the fetish of hyper modesty makes us adults look like a bunch of looney tunes?

ajax
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by ajax »

I wonder if they bought the dresses at City Creek.

Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fiannan »

ajax wrote:
True.
sadie_Mormon wrote:I think Utah just seems to get more attention when it happens ;)

:-o Snap out of it. I'm embarrassed at myself that I even took the time to look closely at the girls dresses. See how the fetish of hyper modesty makes us adults look like a bunch of looney tunes?
The problem is it makes some members hyper-judgemental while others will try to push the limits. Then the hyper people will just say that this is God's way of sifting away the tares from the wheat.

Henmasher
captain of 1,000

Post by Henmasher »

ajax wrote:
True.

To the knee is hyper modesty. Strapless is hyper modesty. So in other words this dress codes symbolizes a covering of where the Holy Garment covers. And what fetish are we talkin about. Their code is perfectly acceptable to require so as to keep the dance atmosphere appropriate. I have a 14 year old daughter and the protection of her virtue begins with modesty that I teach her. I have no problem with a school that supports my idea of modest dress.

ajax
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by ajax »

Fiannan wrote:
ajax wrote:
True.

The problem is it makes some members hyper-judgemental while others will try to push the limits. Then the hyper people will just say that this is God's way of sifting away the tares from the wheat.
So how do we get rid of the two extremes - the hyper judgemental and the pushers of the limits?

How bout stop focusing on cap sleeves and hem lengths? Most people who attend church don't wear garments(including children and teens), so why do we think they are wearing imaginary garments and need to cover said imaginary clothing?

Henmasher
captain of 1,000

Post by Henmasher »

ajax said, So how do we get rid of the two extremes - the hyper judgemental and the pushers of the limits?

How bout stop focusing on cap sleeves and hem lengths? Most people who attend church don't wear garments(including children and teens), so why do we think they are wearing imaginary garments and need to cover said imaginary clothing?
Because it is easier for a new bride to wear garments when she isn't throwing out g strings and cutoff shorts. Modesty starts at birth, not after the temple. I don't want to have that talk with my daughter, you may dress like your body is not important now but when you get married please cover what is now holy? Enjoy babylon while you are young because the Kingdom of God is boring and you have to cover up?

skmo
captain of 1,000

Post by skmo »

No, but to make a negative example of following the exact letter of a poorly written law undermines the authority of the adult leadership they are supposed to be learning from. Schools need to work with students, not against them. From what I saw, the dresses were not inappropriate, and being a Pharisee as an education official only serves to make students realize that you're obviously not worth listening to.

ajax
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by ajax »

Henmasher wrote:Because it is easier for a new bride to wear garments when she isn't throwing out g strings and cutoff shorts. Modesty starts at birth, not after the temple. I don't want to have that talk with my daughter, you may dress like your body is not important now but when you get married please cover what is now holy? Enjoy babylon while you are young because the Kingdom of God is boring and you have to cover up?
So persons who aren't wearing garment standard clothing are automatically wearing g-strings and daisy dukes and do not know the importance of their bodies?

Henmasher
captain of 1,000

Post by Henmasher »

skmo wrote:No, but to make a negative example of following the exact letter of a poorly written law undermines the authority of the adult leadership they are supposed to be learning from. Schools need to work with students, not against them. From what I saw, the dresses were not inappropriate, and being a Pharisee as an education official only serves to make students realize that you're obviously not worth listening to.
I agree on the action deeming Pharisee type mentality however I believe the officials should be working with the parents with more emphasis. However a rule is a rule and with high school kids they look for every avenue to bypass what they deem restrictive, albeit it be a protection.

Henmasher
captain of 1,000

Post by Henmasher »

ajax wrote:
Henmasher wrote:Because it is easier for a new bride to wear garments when she isn't throwing out g strings and cutoff shorts. Modesty starts at birth, not after the temple. I don't want to have that talk with my daughter, you may dress like your body is not important now but when you get married please cover what is now holy? Enjoy babylon while you are young because the Kingdom of God is boring and you have to cover up?
So persons who aren't wearing garment standard clothing are automatically wearing g-strings and daisy dukes and do not know the importance of their bodies?
Where in my post did I say all? My implication was to make a point. Regardless of the tact modesty starts at a young age. I yet to see rebuttal of the importance to cover our bodies. This goes straight down the tithing argument which is typically headed by those attempting to fuel justification. Girls should dress modest, sadly we are complaining about a school that advocates just that. Very telling of our society isn't it?

ajax
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by ajax »

Henmasher wrote:I yet to see rebuttal of the importance to cover our bodies.
Nobody is saying it is not important to cover our bodies. It is the pharisaical obsession with hem lines and cap sleeves we are talking about here.

gardenerof12
captain of 10

Post by gardenerof12 »

What can be a problem is, Has the dress code been enforced up to this point? I live in the Midwest, and our high school has a dress code. It is explained thoroughly at orientation, and then completely ignored. I saw a student outside the school today wearing the "denim underwear" shorts, too short skirts are always present. As far as tank tops go, "Spaghetti-- No, Lasgna-- Yes" (that means "No" to the small spaghetti straps, but the wider "lasagna" straps are OK) however, spaghetti straps are always there too. The dress code is not enforced. What would be wrong is if a dress length is worn to school, but the same dress length was not allowed at the dance. If you have a dress code, enforce it all the time, not just at the dance.

Henmasher
captain of 1,000

Post by Henmasher »

ajax wrote:
Henmasher wrote:I yet to see rebuttal of the importance to cover our bodies.
Nobody is saying it is not important to cover our bodies. It is the pharisaical obsession with hem lines and cap sleeves we are talking about here.
Tossing the word pharisaical along with obsession at the location of girls clothing is weak sauce my friend. There is no spiritual law that supersedes a hem line that these teachers are avoiding. What weightier matter are they overlooking? What spiritual law do they refuse to grasp by not bending on a dress code that is perfectly acceptable and mirrors requirements for the wearing of garments ?? :-o

In fact the church could actually use more strict adherence to temporal laws. Christ came to fulfill the law, not destroy it. How can one become like Christ if they do not fulfill the lesser law while accepting and living the higher law? They are clearly incremental.

Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fiannan »

Are some people missing an important point here? This is a tax financed public school, not an off-campus seminary building or church. Should teachers in that school teach as if they were giving a Sunday School lesson? I pity the poor psychology and sex ed teachers. I also wonder, does the swim team swim in outfits only approved by the Church or the track team for that matter?

Also, I would have been as furious if my daughter had been sent home as I was when, having been recently baptized in high school, I tried to take my then girlfriend to a church dance but her backless gown was not allowed. Yeah, it may have been a bit on the cocktail party side of things but still...I did not like the attitude of the official who had kind of a smugness about him. Today I would have said that at a church function you can have certain criteria but if a girl wears a dress that covers what is important, is not trying to draw attention to sexuality, and is nice looking then she should be able to wear it to a high school dance.

For instance, I would say this is acceptable:

Image http://thesocietypages.org/socimages/20 ... whiteness/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fiannan »

By the way Henmasher, back in 1920 your avatar would have been considered inappropriate by some members of the Church. If Eve had been wearing garments then she would not have been exposing so much leg. Also, there are a lot of men who see bare feet as exciting as if she had bare breasts. Maybe you could photoshop that pic like they might in Saudi Arabia?

Just another little note. I think the school officials would have sent a girl home if she had been showing as much as Eve is in your pic.

A Random Phrase
Follower of Christ
Location: Staring at my computer, not sure whether to laugh or cry.

Post by A Random Phrase »

Fiannan wrote:By the way Henmasher, back in 1920 your avatar would have been considered inappropriate by some members of the Church. If Eve had been wearing garments then she would not have been exposing so much leg. Also, there are a lot of men who see bare feet as exciting as if she had bare breasts. Maybe you could photoshop that pic like they might in Saudi Arabia?

Just another little note. I think the school officials would have sent a girl home if she had been showing as much as Eve is in your pic.
Actually, in 1920 and earlier, bare breasts were not such a big thing. People didn't get excited over built-in baby bottles. Of course, they were being used to feed babies, not to excite nor titilate.

Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fiannan »

A Random Phrase wrote:
Fiannan wrote:By the way Henmasher, back in 1920 your avatar would have been considered inappropriate by some members of the Church. If Eve had been wearing garments then she would not have been exposing so much leg. Also, there are a lot of men who see bare feet as exciting as if she had bare breasts. Maybe you could photoshop that pic like they might in Saudi Arabia?

Actually, in 1920 and earlier, bare breasts were not such a big thing. People didn't get excited over built-in baby bottles. Of course, they were being used to feed babies, not to excite nor titilate.
That might be true. We have a lot of mythology surrounding that era. For instance the common treatment for women, given by doctors and midwives, for slepplessness, depression and general anxiety was....well, for no better way to put it foreplay. That ended with the invention of a certain electrical device.

As for nudity if one looks at the original Tarzan from 1933 there is a full nude scene of Jane swimming -- no body suit, no nothing! That was how it was released and only was edited when the censorship craze of the late 1930s came in. Before that much of the art of the period was surrealistic nudes, the kind that one associates with Olympian or Utopian themes.

Does anyone have any documentation as to how LDS society in that era looked upon such issues?

ajax
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by ajax »

Fiannan wrote:For instance, I would say this is acceptable:

Image http://thesocietypages.org/socimages/20 ... whiteness/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Or this:
images.jpg
images.jpg (5.2 KiB) Viewed 2254 times
"The worst sinners, according to Jesus, are not the harlots and publicans, but the religious leaders with their insistence on proper dress and grooming, their careful observance of all the rules, their precious concern for status symbols, their strict legality, their pious patriotism... the haircut becomes the test of virtue in a world where Satan deceives and rules by appearances." - Hugh Nibley

mingano
captain of 1,000

Post by mingano »

Henmasher wrote:I have no problem with a school that supports my idea of modest dress
But you have a problem with a school that supports somebody else's idea of modest dress, right? Your way or no way at all, right? Your opinion is the one correct way and anybody who has a problem with that is a vile, lusty sinner and a bad parent, right?

Henmasher
captain of 1,000

Post by Henmasher »

mingano wrote:
Henmasher wrote:I have no problem with a school that supports my idea of modest dress
But you have a problem with a school that supports somebody else's idea of modest dress, right? Your way or no way at all, right? Your opinion is the one correct way and anybody who has a problem with that is a vile, lusty sinner and a bad parent, right?
Ok the church's idea of modest dress 8-| (-|

And for anybody that uses the Lord hung out with prostitutes and sinners as an excuse, I would love proof of him being with them in the act of the sin. Those titles were to characterize the history of the people he spent time with. He never advocated or minimized the crime. However he extended a never ending love to them and then corrected them in their error. C'mon people the body is sacred, we should cover it, and the fact that you state the years of history as softening has no forebearance on how the Lord who is unchanging views the importance of covering the body. Another point of substance would be to quite mining my posts and then quoteing with sensational straw man arguments. Gag

Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fiannan »

Henmesher, that Eve pic in your avatar is pretty provocative as I said before. Could you please photoshop out her knees and feet? :))

Also what does wearing a skirt above the knee have to do with prostitutes?