Why aren't Pitt Bull dogs Outlawed??

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
Juliette
captain of 1,000

Why aren't Pitt Bull dogs Outlawed??

Post by Juliette »

Families' pit bulls maul 2 California toddlers

By NBCBayArea.com

Two San Francisco Bay area toddlers were mauled by family pit bulls less than 24 hours apart, officials said Tuesday.

Both victims, one from Castro Valley and one Concord, were reported recovering in Oakland Children’s Hospital, television station KTVU reported. Neither child was identified.

The hospital would not disclose any information about the victims.

The dog in the Concord attack on Monday was euthanized, officials said.

The Castro Valley incident occurred about 2 a.m. Tuesday. Alameda Sheriff’s Department Sgt. J.D. Nelson told KTVU that a pit bull-German Shepard mix was in custody of animal control, KTVU reported.

Nelson called the youngster’s injuries worse than those suffered by the 2-year-old Concord girl on Monday.

The Concord toddler was stable but faces a lengthy recovery, KTVU said.

The dog bit her on the head, face and leg, according to Animal Control. She was treated at the scene and then airlifted to the hospital.

The euthanized dog’s tissues were being tested for rabies, officials said.

Contra Costa Animal Services Lt. Joe De Costa told KTVU officials were investigating whether the Concord family had any knowledge of the dog having an aggressive history.

If that was the case, there's a potential that they could face some criminal charges. At this point, it doesn't appear that that is the case."

Juliette
captain of 1,000

Re: Why aren't Pitt Bull dogs Outlawed??

Post by Juliette »

You read about a Pitt Bull dog attacks almost daily. Its like letting a Bengal Tiger walk the streets.

ChelC
The Law

Post by ChelC »

I am sure there are some nice pit bulls out there, but I've yet to meet one. We have one (sometimes two) next door and I hate those dogs and wish they would get run over. That sounds very not Christian of me I'm sure, but that stupid dog has trapped me in my car, trapped another neighbor at his mailbox, been sprayed with mace by the same neighbor when it went after his mother, and is why my husband had to pack when he'd go for a jog or carry a baseball bat (it nipped my husband in the butt once). It has growled and threatened my children as well and is why my little guy is terrified of dogs, even nice ones.

I don't know why anyone would have one around, personally.

Juliette
captain of 1,000

Post by Juliette »

Among the deadliest and most vicious of all dog breeds with killer instincts, originally bred to fight and kill other dogs, Pit Bulls are now widely popular as companion dogs, especially in American cities. Their popularly is strange given their homicidal history and aggressive in-bred traits, but that is seemingly part of the appeal. With its powerful jaws, thick skull and muscular legs the American Pit Bull Terrier (and related breeds) makes short work of children and adults it attacks often maiming them for life. The very name "pit bull" is used in our language to signify a singularly tenacious state of being.

This breed is variously cited as being responsible for nearly a third of all fatal dog attacks in the United States, in part due to its tenacity in a fight. Pit bulls cause one-third of dog-bite related fatalities while only make up less than 2% of the dog population. Because of the deaths, maulings and serious injuries inflicted by Pit Bulls, many countries worldwide ban these dogs altogether or require licenses for ownership of them. In response to many high profile maulings and fatal attacks by Pit Bulls, many US cities and towns have specifically targeted the breed with legislation restricting ownership and increasing penalties on owners for attacks made by their Pit Bulls. Pit Bulls are often responsible for attacking and killing other dog breeds as well as cats and small pets. Police officers often need to shoot and kill this breed in order to subdue it after attacks on humans or other animals in US cities. In recent years several owners of these dogs in the United States have been criminally prosecuted in homicide cases. Sadly, many of the owners of these deadly dogs do not possess insurance and the maimed victims go uncompensated. Apologists for these vicious dogs abound online, but facts are facts. These dogs have little or no business being pets in anyone's household they are simply too aggressive and dangerous.

AGalagaChiasmus
captain of 100

Post by AGalagaChiasmus »

Perhaps outlawing pit bulls existence would be too extreme, much like "outlawing" a certain naturally occurring plant. If this problem is that bad (and it sounds like it is), I think the best approach would be to classify this type of dog as a weapon or vehicle and regulate it as such. I.e, you must be licensed and taken a ground course on pit bull training, as well as be insured against any damages. There are a lot of powerful and dangerous "systems" or "platforms" that require regulation and pit bulls sound like they could fall in this category.

uglypitbull
captain of 1,000

Post by uglypitbull »

You have a lot to learn about these animals.... do some better research. As far as dogs go, ALL dogs are capable of vicious behavior and it starts right at home with the owner. If you are looking for someone to blame for dog attacks, look no further than the other end of the leash. The term pit bull is short for American Pit Bull Terrier and has nothing to do with a "tenacious state of being".
I don't even know where to start in response to the sensationalism and bias in the previous posts.....seriously. What kind of dog do you think was used on the Little Rascals (a show full of kids)? Buster Brown shoes? The cover of Time magazine has been graced by a pit bull 3 times, Helen Keller owned a pit bull. These were the all American dog at the turn of the 20th century for families.
I have raised 40 of these dogs and have had not ONE problem with ANY of them....however, I will be the first to say that not everyone should have one either. Like I said, its the owner, not the dog. They are high energy and not for everyone. I see the fear and hate in peoples eyes when I take my dog to the dog park.....and she doesn't even pay attention to the other dogs, she would rather chase tennis balls and swim in the lake. I DO see other dog owners who encourage bad behavior in their dogs without knowing what they are doing.....because its so cute, or looks so cool. I have yet to own a pit bull that was mean, vicious, or aggressive by its own nature.

Its not the dog, its the owner. Don't place blame on the gun when someone is shot, when fault lies with the person who pulled the trigger.

What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts were gone, man would die from a great loneliness of the spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected. - Chief Seattle

http://www.workingpitbull.com/history.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.trupitbull.com/FamousPeople.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.thetruthaboutpitbulls.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.realpitbull.com/temperament.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Steve Clark
captain of 1,000

Post by Steve Clark »

AGalagaChiasmus wrote:Perhaps outlawing pit bulls existence would be too extreme, much like "outlawing" a certain naturally occurring plant. If this problem is that bad (and it sounds like it is), I think the best approach would be to classify this type of dog as a weapon or vehicle and regulate it as such. I.e, you must be licensed and taken a ground course on pit bull training, as well as be insured against any damages. There are a lot of powerful and dangerous "systems" or "platforms" that require regulation and pit bulls sound like they could fall in this category.
I agree with half of this statement. Pit Bulls ownership should be just like weapon ownership in that anyone not proven to be mentally unstable should be able to own and possess them without interference from government agencies.

Original_Intent
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Original_Intent »

ChelC wrote:I am sure there are some nice pit bulls out there, but I've yet to meet one. We have one (sometimes two) next door and I hate those dogs and wish they would get run over. That sounds very not Christian of me I'm sure, but that stupid dog has trapped me in my car, trapped another neighbor at his mailbox, been sprayed with mace by the same neighbor when it went after his mother, and is why my husband had to pack when he'd go for a jog or carry a baseball bat (it nipped my husband in the butt once). It has growled and threatened my children as well and is why my little guy is terrified of dogs, even nice ones.

I don't know why anyone would have one around, personally.
I totally relate. When I was a deacon there was a family that had a blue heeler (sp?) that was a vicious cur - I could not collect fast offerings without calling in advance to let them know I was coming over - because I could not get to their front door without losing a "pound of flesh" on the way.

AGalagaChiasmus
captain of 100

Post by AGalagaChiasmus »

one4freedom wrote:
AGalagaChiasmus wrote:Perhaps outlawing pit bulls existence would be too extreme, much like "outlawing" a certain naturally occurring plant. If this problem is that bad (and it sounds like it is), I think the best approach would be to classify this type of dog as a weapon or vehicle and regulate it as such. I.e, you must be licensed and taken a ground course on pit bull training, as well as be insured against any damages. There are a lot of powerful and dangerous "systems" or "platforms" that require regulation and pit bulls sound like they could fall in this category.
I agree with half of this statement. Pit Bulls ownership should be just like weapon ownership in that anyone not proven to be mentally unstable should be able to own and possess them without interference from government agencies.
This attitude will facilitate the same rate of attacks. Your argument would require a "unwarranted government intrusion" to pre-emptively assign mental stability to folks who want to buy one (background check), thereby becoming a de facto regulation of the sales of pit bulls. If "untrained" pitbulls are, let's say, an order of magnitude more violent than any other "untrained" dog breed, the case can be made to require proper training and licensed ownership of the animal. As a public threat, unlicensed violent dogs are a infringement of me and my families liberties.

Squally
captain of 1,000

Post by Squally »

uglypitbull wrote:You have a lot to learn about these animals.... do some better research. As far as dogs go, ALL dogs are capable of vicious behavior and it starts right at home with the owner. If you are looking for someone to blame for dog attacks, look no further than the other end of the leash. The term pit bull is short for American Pit Bull Terrier and has nothing to do with a "tenacious state of being".
I don't even know where to start in response to the sensationalism and bias in the previous posts.....seriously. What kind of dog do you think was used on the Little Rascals (a show full of kids)? Buster Brown shoes? The cover of Time magazine has been graced by a pit bull 3 times, Helen Keller owned a pit bull. These were the all American dog at the turn of the 20th century for families.
I have raised 40 of these dogs and have had not ONE problem with ANY of them....however, I will be the first to say that not everyone should have one either. Like I said, its the owner, not the dog. They are high energy and not for everyone. I see the fear and hate in peoples eyes when I take my dog to the dog park.....and she doesn't even pay attention to the other dogs, she would rather chase tennis balls and swim in the lake. I DO see other dog owners who encourage bad behavior in their dogs without knowing what they are doing.....because its so cute, or looks so cool. I have yet to own a pit bull that was mean, vicious, or aggressive by its own nature.

Its not the dog, its the owner. Don't place blame on the gun when someone is shot, when fault lies with the person who pulled the trigger.

What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts were gone, man would die from a great loneliness of the spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected. - Chief Seattle

http://www.workingpitbull.com/history.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.trupitbull.com/FamousPeople.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.thetruthaboutpitbulls.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.realpitbull.com/temperament.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Myth #1: It's the owner not the breed

The outdated debate, "It's the owner, not the breed," has caused the pit bull problem to grow into a 30-year old problem.1 Designed to protect pit bull breeders and owners, the slogan ignores the genetic history of the breed and blames these horrific maulings -- inflicted by the pit bull's genetic "hold and shake" bite style -- on environmental factors. While environment plays a role in a pit bull's behavior, it is genetics that leaves pit bull victims with permanent and disfiguring injury.

The pit bull's genetic traits are not in dispute. Many U.S. courts agree that pit bulls pose a significant danger to society and can be regulated accordingly. Some of the genetic traits courts have identified include: unpredictability of aggression, tenacity ("gameness" the refusal to give up a fight), high pain tolerance and the pit bull's "hold and shake" bite style.2 According to forensic medical studies, similar injuries have only been found elsewhere on victims of shark attacks.3

Perpetuators of this myth also cannot account for the many instances in which pit bull owners and family members are victimized by their pet dogs. From 2005 to 2011, pit bulls killed 128 Americans, about one citizen every 20 days. Of these attacks, 51% (65) involved a family member and a household pit bull.4 In the first 8 months of 2011, nearly half of those killed by a pit bull was its owner -- one was even an "avid supporter" of Bad Rap, a recipient of Michael Vick's dogs.5
http://www.dogsbite.org/dangerous-dogs- ... -myths.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by Squally on May 8th, 2012, 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Squally
captain of 1,000

Post by Squally »

Seattle, Washington (April 22, 2009) -- DogsBite.org, a national dog bite victims' group dedicated to reducing serious dog attacks, releases its first multi-year report on U.S. dog bite fatalities. The report covers a 3-year period -- from January 1, 2006 to December 31, 2008 -- and analyzes data gathered from 88 dog bite incidences that caused death to a U.S. citizen.

The report documents dog breed information, property information (where the attack occurred) as well as dog bite victim age information.

Of the 88 fatal dog attacks recorded by DogsBite.org, pit bull type dogs were responsible for 59% (52). This is equivalent to a pit bull killing a U.S. citizen every 21 days during this 3-year period. The data also shows that pit bulls commit the vast majority of off-property attacks that result in death. Only 18% (16) of the attacks occurred off owner property, yet pit bulls were responsible for 81% (13).

Pit bulls are also more likely to kill an adult than a child. In the 3-year period, pit bulls killed more adults (ages 21 and over), 54%, than they did children (ages 11 and younger), 46%. In the 21-54 age group, pit bulls were responsible for 82% (14) of the deaths. The data indicates that pit bulls do not only kill children and senior citizens; they kill men and women in their prime years as well.

The report also shows that of the six victim age groups documented, the 55 and older group suffered the most fatalities 26% (23), followed by the 2-4 age group 22% (19). Between the ages of 0-4, the study reveals that 14% (12) of the fatal attacks involved a "watcher," a person such as a grandparent or babysitter watching the child. Of these attacks, 75% (9) involved a grandparent type.

The founder of DogsBite.org, Colleen Lynn, adds, "The off-property statistical data about pit bulls shows just how dangerous they are." She noted that six senior citizens were killed under these circumstances: "Two were killed while standing in their own backyard," she said. "Four others were killed while taking a morning walk or getting the mail."
http://www.dogsbite.org/dangerous-dogs- ... -myths.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

karen2cruise
captain of 100

Post by karen2cruise »

Our neighbors have a pitbull, a lab and some little dog breed. The pitbull is the shyest of the bunch. Cute dog. There are tons of kids in our neighborhood and nothing has ever happened. Maybe pitbull owners need to be prescreened before the dogs can be sold to ensure they are nurtured properly.

However, in defense of any dog....little kids should NEVER be allowed to play freely around any dog unsupervised. They should also be taught to never hit an animal, even in play. Even the most meek dog, if having a bad day and a toddler comes up and whaps it in the nose might get bit. Can't blame the dog.

Steve Clark
captain of 1,000

Post by Steve Clark »

AGalagaChiasmus wrote:
one4freedom wrote:
This attitude will facilitate the same rate of attacks. Your argument would require a "unwarranted government intrusion" to pre-emptively assign mental stability to folks who want to buy one (background check), thereby becoming a de facto regulation of the sales of pit bulls. If "untrained" pitbulls are, let's say, an order of magnitude more violent than any other "untrained" dog breed, the case can be made to require proper training and licensed ownership of the animal. As a public threat, unlicensed violent dogs are a infringement of me and my families liberties.
Incorrect. I said "anyone not proven to be mentally unstable" meaning the onus would lie on proving unstable before restriction. There should be no requirement to show competency (pass a background check), rather a requirement to show incompetency before any restrictions are in place.

uglypitbull
captain of 1,000

Post by uglypitbull »

Squally, you did the same exact thing....ran to the media for stats. The problem with that is that they don't tell the whole story.

http://nationalcanineresearchcouncil.co ... 20DBRF.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://nationalcanineresearchcouncil.co ... INAL_1.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Its always labeled a "pit bull" if it remotely looks like a pit bull....regardless of whether or not it actually is. Its certainly a headline grabber isn't it? Check the links provided and look at the facts...... pay close attention to circumstances of the situation, particularly how the dogs were cared for, etc.... get the details the news media wont report.

Chelc, as far as your neighbor owning two dogs that behave that way....its HIS fault for not disciplining them or socializing them correctly. I grew up in the Sugarhouse area and our neighbor used to fight pit bulls (I abhor the activity). When they had run their course and were used for only breeding, he would put them on chains out back. I was 5yrs old and would play with the dogs, not knowing they were 'mean'. I never once got bit and these were fighting dogs. Your neighbor sounds like someone who needs a slap upside the head for allowing his dogs to threaten people.....he probably thinks it makes him seem tough. Its owners like that who give these dogs an unjust reputation.

SmallFarm
captain of 1,000

Post by SmallFarm »

Hey some people think the world should be a quiet, grey colored, padded room to keep them safe. It's probably what they need. :))

ChelC
The Law

Post by ChelC »

Nothing like hyperbole to enrich the conversation. ;)

Juliette
captain of 1,000

Post by Juliette »

Pitt, I know you must have a love for these dogs having raised them for so long. Sorry to offend you, but it just happens too much.
I have been around pittbulls and many other dogs. I have never seen anything as mean and aggressive as the pittbull. They seem calm and docile one minute, than become a wild animal killing machine without any notice. Extremely territorial.
My cousin in Nephi Utah has a ranch. He got a pitbull puppy, raised it like all the other dogs he'd ever had. This pittbull would literally jump in to the underbelly of a cow and gut it. Its jaws were like a steel trap. It is a dangerous breed, no matter what anyone says.
When I read about the many attacks it makes me very angry.

withfaith
captain of 10

Post by withfaith »

Why don't we outlaw Dobermans Rottweilers German Shepard's. It is how they are raised!!!! I had a chihuahua and she bit someone on the face broke the skin and made them bleed. I have a Pitt bull mix who is the sweetiest baby and gets bossed around by my cat!!!!

davedan
captain of 1,000

Post by davedan »

I don't think we should have laws that prohibit a dog bread.

But if your dog causes unprovoked injury, then the owner should be held responsible as if they did it themselves.

The fear of pubishment should be disincentive enough.

Fairminded
captain of 1,000

Post by Fairminded »

uglypitbull wrote:You have a lot to learn about these animals.... do some better research. As far as dogs go, ALL dogs are capable of vicious behavior and it starts right at home with the owner. If you are looking for someone to blame for dog attacks, look no further than the other end of the leash. The term pit bull is short for American Pit Bull Terrier and has nothing to do with a "tenacious state of being".

I've heard that properly trained pit bulls are actually much friendlier than other more popular breeds of dogs. I agree that the main problem with dogs is their owners. Even dogs that are simply untrained and then allowed to run wild can be a danger.

I have a bit of experience with this since I was attacked by a full grown rottweiler when I was eleven. I was walking home from a sleepover and the owners had chained it to the back of their truck, within range of the sidewalk. It hid behind the vehicle and waited for me, and I didn't even know it was there until it leapt out and caught me by my right wrist. Before I knew what was happening it had yanked me back behind the truck and to the ground. I somehow managed to punch it in the head hard enough to make it let go of my wrist and started to roll away, and it caught me on my left leg and clamped on again. I had to hit it a few more times, and then managed to finish rolling out of range on its leash.

An untrained dog, especially one unfriendly to strangers, is certainly a weapon. Owners who refuse to acknowledge this just because the dog is friendly with them, and who let it run wild, are putting others in danger and are fully responsible for any harm caused. I don't know about outlawing dogs, but leash laws are fully justified in my eyes. Even the most friendly dog shouldn't be allowed to run free close to streets where it could cause accidents or be a nuisance to passersby. A great example of this is a pair of dogs that live along a route I drive every day. One seems to have a herding instinct and will actually run out in front of the car, forcing me to break or run it over.

g_luv_style
captain of 50

Post by g_luv_style »

I am so sick of the ignorance on this issue. This is no different than pushing for gun control! We have owned Pitts for many years and they have been great family dogs! We have never had any problems and in fact one of our guys protected my wife in an ugly situation. Yes, accidents can happen. There is usually a cause behind it though. There are bad owners just as there are bad people with anything. But banning a breed based on perceived behavior is like banning toddlers because they pee their pants. X(

Juliette
captain of 1,000

Post by Juliette »

g_luv_style wrote:I am so sick of the ignorance on this issue. This is no different than pushing for gun control! We have owned Pitts for many years and they have been great family dogs! We have never had any problems and in fact one of our guys protected my wife in an ugly situation. Yes, accidents can happen. There is usually a cause behind it though. There are bad owners just as there are bad people with anything. But banning a breed based on perceived behavior is like banning toddlers because they pee their pants. X(
Oh yeah, now there's a good comparison! Toddlers peeing their pants are so threatening. If you're so sick, maybe you should just throw up? :ymsick:

g_luv_style
captain of 50

Post by g_luv_style »

Juliette wrote:
Oh yeah, now there's a good comparison! Toddlers peeing their pants are so threatening. If you're so sick, maybe you should just throw up? :ymsick:
I am sick of it. I am tired of people thinking they now what is best for me and my family. The comparison of a toddler peeing itself was meant to be stupid. If you don’t want to own a pitt bull, then just don’t own one. If you want to be a vegan, shut up and don’t eat meat. If you don’t want to own firearms, don’t own them. We don’t outlaw cars because someone died in an accident do we? Don’t tell me I can’t own them because someone else was an idiot. Trying to ban something because you have personal axe to grind with society isn’t helping our culture one bit.

ChelC
The Law

Post by ChelC »

I don't think we should ban a breed, but it should have no special treatment. If it is snarling at me and acting in a threatening manner I should be able to shoot it BEFORE it's too late and it attacks my children or me.

Juliette
captain of 1,000

Post by Juliette »

g_luv_style wrote:
Juliette wrote:
I am sick of it. I am tired of people thinking they now what is best for me and my family. The comparison of a toddler peeing itself was meant to be stupid. If you don’t want to own a pitt bull, then just don’t own one. If you want to be a vegan, shut up and don’t eat meat. If you don’t want to own firearms, don’t own them. We don’t outlaw cars because someone died in an accident do we? Don’t tell me I can’t own them because someone else was an idiot. Trying to ban something because you have personal axe to grind with society isn’t helping our culture one bit.
Ummm, I don't want to own a pittbull dog. And I don't want one attacking anyone in my family. In the Show Low AZ. area a few years back, 2 pittbulls killed a little girl walking home from school. Sad day.

Girl Mauled, Killed by Pit Bulls
White Mountain Independent ^ | Dec. 17, 2004 | Terence Corrigan

Girl mauled, killed by pit bulls Breaking: Police make arrests

By: Terence Corrigan, The Independent 12/17/2004

Annilee McKinnon SHOW LOW – A group of pit bull dogs that have been repeatedly reported for running the streets of a neighborhood west of downtown attacked and killed a 5-year-old girl Monday. The same dogs had attacked and nearly killed another neighbor’s dog two weeks earlier. The dogs’ owner was cited for attacking Stephanie Clark’s dog which was leashed inside her fenced yard. The attack resulted in nearly $600 in vet bills to heal Clark’s dog. “She (the owner) warned me that her dogs would remember the teenagers that beat her dogs off (Clark’s brown Labrador),” Clark said. Clark said the dogs had also killed a cat in the street one week before the fatal attack on the girl. According to witnesses, the three dogs, two which appeared to be purebred pit bulls and the third which looked as though it were a mixed breed, entered the yard where the child was playing with other children and attacked Annilee McKinnon. The girl attempted to escape by climbing a tree but the dogs pulled her down and dragged her to a ditch in the yard, according to one witness. The girl’s father, Troy McKinnon, was in the house when the attack started and ran from the home and grabbed her. He ran across the street, holding his daughter, to a neighbor’s home and, according to police, the dogs continued to try and grab the girl. Annilee’s sister, 4-year-old Belle, witnessed the attack.