Nephi’s Honorable Execution of Laban

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
Ben McClintock
captain of 100

Nephi’s Honorable Execution of Laban

Post by Ben McClintock »

http://www.mormonchronicle.com/nephis-h ... -of-laban/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The account of Nephi’s execution of Laban in the Book of Mormon is a common source of uncomfortable misunderstanding for many members of the church. It is also often used as a basis for anti-Mormon zealots to attempt to disprove the Book of Mormon. Their assertion is that God would not command Nephi to kill Laban, contrary to his commandment “Thou shalt not kill”.
I hope you will read the article at the link above, comment there and discuss here :)

Re: Nephi’s Honorable Execution of Laban

Post by Like »

Great article Jules!

John Welch's article, Legal Perspectives on the Slaying of Laban and Val Larsen's article, Killing Laban: The Birth of Sovereignty in the Nephite Constitutional Order are pretty good also! :)

tuktuk21
captain of 10

Post by tuktuk21 »

Because in the old testament God never commanded any one to kill any one. Or to utterly destroy. or to slay every last one.

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

I like these two:

http://bookofmormonnotes.wordpress.com/ ... -by-grego/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://bookofmormonnotes.wordpress.com/ ... vs-miriam/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

superslob
captain of 50

Post by superslob »

Hello,

>>> It is also often used as a basis for anti-Mormon zealots to attempt to disprove the Book of Mormon.<<<

I've read a fairly lot of anti mormon literature and I never heard this being used by anti-mormons.

wolfman
captain of 100

Post by wolfman »

Some verses in the Book of Mormon cover several years in 1 verse. Nephi takes about 15 verses to explain something that happened in a matter of seconds which shows he didn't do it lightly.

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

tuktuk21 wrote:Because in the old testament God never commanded any one to kill any one. Or to utterly destroy. or to slay every last one.
Don't be so sure. I researched this very subject when I was on my mission. In this story we may not read about our deliverer having been approached by the Lord or an angel directly as with Nephi, but if you read the story of Ehud, you will see that the Lord had sent him as a deliverer for the children of Israel from Eglon, king of Moab.

Judges Chapter 3

14 So the children of Israel served Eglon the king of Moab eighteen years.

15 But when the children of Israel cried unto the Lord, the Lord raised them up a deliverer, Ehud the son of Gera, a Benjamite, a man lefthanded: and by him the children of Israel sent a present unto Eglon the king of Moab.

16 But Ehud made him a dagger which had two edges, of a cubit length; and he did gird it under his raiment upon his right thigh.

17 And he brought the present unto Eglon king of Moab: and Eglon was a very fat man.

18 And when he had made an end to offer the present, he sent away the people that bare the present.

19 But he himself turned again from the quarries that were by Gilgal, and said, I have a secret errand unto thee, O king: who said, Keep silence. And all that stood by him went out from him.

20 And Ehud came unto him; and he was sitting in a summer parlour, which he had for himself alone. And Ehud said, I have a message from God unto thee. And he arose out of his seat.

21 And Ehud put forth his left hand, and took the dagger from his right thigh, and thrust it into his belly:

22 And the haft also went in after the blade; and the fat closed upon the blade, so that he could not draw the dagger out of his belly; and the dirt came out.

23 Then Ehud went forth through the porch, and shut the doors of the parlour upon him, and locked them.

24 When he was gone out, his servants came; and when they saw that, behold, the doors of the parlour were locked, they said, Surely he covereth his feet in his summer chamber.

25 And they tarried till they were ashamed: and, behold, he opened not the doors of the parlour; therefore they took a key, and opened them: and, behold, their lord was fallen down dead on the earth.

26 And Ehud escaped while they tarried, and passed beyond the quarries, and escaped unto Seirath.

27 And it came to pass, when he was come, that he blew a trumpet in the mountain of Ephraim, and the children of Israel went down with him from the mount, and he before them.

28 And he said unto them, Follow after me: for the Lord hath delivered your enemies the Moabites into your hand. And they went down after him, and took the fords of Jordan toward Moab, and suffered not a man to pass over.

29 And they slew of Moab at that time about ten thousand men, all lusty, and all men of valour; and there escaped not a man.

30 So Moab was subdued that day under the hand of Israel. And the land had rest fourscore years.

Israel had peace for eighty years. So you see, the Lord does preserve his children from unrighteous dominion even if it means slaying every last one.
Last edited by marc on September 7th, 2011, 6:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

coachmarc wrote:
tuktuk21 wrote:Because in the old testament God never commanded any one to kill any one. Or to utterly destroy. or to slay every last one.
Don't be so sure. I researched this very subject when I was on my mission. In this story we may not read about our deliverer having been approached by the Lord or an angel directly as with Nephi, but if you read the story of Ehud, you will see that the Lord had sent him as a deliverer for the children of Israel from Eglon, king of Moab.

Judges Chapter 3

15 But when the children of Israel cried unto the Lord, the Lord raised them up a deliverer, Ehud the son of Gera, a Benjamite, a man lefthanded: and by him the children of Israel sent a present unto Eglon the king of Moab.

16 But Ehud made him a dagger which had two edges, of a cubit length; and he did gird it under his raiment upon his right thigh.

17 And he brought the present unto Eglon king of Moab: and Eglon was a very fat man.

18 And when he had made an end to offer the present, he sent away the people that bare the present.

19 But he himself turned again from the quarries that were by Gilgal, and said, I have a secret errand unto thee, O king: who said, Keep silence. And all that stood by him went out from him.

20 And Ehud came unto him; and he was sitting in a summer parlour, which he had for himself alone. And Ehud said, I have a message from God unto thee. And he arose out of his seat.

21 And Ehud put forth his left hand, and took the dagger from his right thigh, and thrust it into his belly:

22 And the haft also went in after the blade; and the fat closed upon the blade, so that he could not draw the dagger out of his belly; and the dirt came out.

23 Then Ehud went forth through the porch, and shut the doors of the parlour upon him, and locked them.

24 When he was gone out, his servants came; and when they saw that, behold, the doors of the parlour were locked, they said, Surely he covereth his feet in his summer chamber.

25 And they tarried till they were ashamed: and, behold, he opened not the doors of the parlour; therefore they took a key, and opened them: and, behold, their lord was fallen down dead on the earth.

26 And Ehud escaped while they tarried, and passed beyond the quarries, and escaped unto Seirath.

27 And it came to pass, when he was come, that he blew a trumpet in the mountain of Ephraim, and the children of Israel went down with him from the mount, and he before them.

28 And he said unto them, Follow after me: for the Lord hath delivered your enemies the Moabites into your hand. And they went down after him, and took the fords of Jordan toward Moab, and suffered not a man to pass over.

29 And they slew of Moab at that time about ten thousand men, all lusty, and all men of valour; and there escaped not a man.

30 So Moab was subdued that day under the hand of Israel. And the land had rest fourscore years.

Israel had peace for eighty years. So you see, the Lord does preserve his children from unrighteous dominion even if it means slaying every last one.
Nice. And more stories like that one, too.
Which is interesting, because the typical complaint from many (such as some atheists, etc.) is that the Old Testament God is so unloving/ hateful/ vengeful/ etc. Which one is it?

soberminded
captain of 50

Post by soberminded »

JohnnyL wrote: Which is interesting, because the typical complaint from many (such as some atheists, etc.) is that the Old Testament God is so unloving/ hateful/ vengeful/ etc. Which one is it?
Depends on which side of the fence they're on. If they transgress the law until they're ripened, then they see Him unloving, vengeful, etc, and those who repent and keep the law, see His mercy and love.

I was pondering the Nephi-Laban account after reading it this morning. I feel this thread is a TM(Tender Mercy) for me. Thank you for the links. I can't wait to broaden my understanding on this matter.

Jason
Master of Puppets

Post by Jason »

coachmarc wrote:

Judges Chapter 3

Since that's actually quite prevalent in the Old Testament.....it might have been stated with a high degree of sarcasm......

Col. Flagg
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Col. Flagg »

'It is better for one man to perish than for an entire nation to dwindle in unbelief'. There you have it. Laban was a very wicked man who was not going to give the plates of brass to Nephi and his brothers, thus, the Lord removed him by delivering him into Nephi's hands.

Jason
Master of Puppets

Post by Jason »

Col. Flagg wrote:'It is better for one man to perish than for an entire nation to dwindle in unbelief'. There you have it. Laban was a very wicked man who was not going to give the plates of brass to Nephi and his brothers, thus, the Lord removed him by delivering him into Nephi's hands.
Why not just stop his heart? a little too much alcohol poisoning? bad bacteria? nasty virus?

Jason
Master of Puppets

Post by Jason »

JulesGP wrote:
Jason wrote:
Col. Flagg wrote:'It is better for one man to perish than for an entire nation to dwindle in unbelief'. There you have it. Laban was a very wicked man who was not going to give the plates of brass to Nephi and his brothers, thus, the Lord removed him by delivering him into Nephi's hands.
Why not just stop his heart? a little too much alcohol poisoning? bad bacteria? nasty virus?
Exactly! There was a REASON Nephi had to be the one to kill him.
A TEST of obedience???? Something along the lines of Abraham???

lemuel
Operating Thetan

Post by lemuel »

Certainly God could've given Nephi the plates in an easier way, but as someone who would be writing a lot of scriptures, what better way to impress on his mind the importance of the scriptures than by showing Nephi that they are worth killing for.

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

Jason wrote:
JulesGP wrote:
Jason wrote:...
A TEST of obedience???? Something along the lines of Abraham???
Read the articles... :D

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

lemuel wrote:Certainly God could've given Nephi the plates in an easier way, but as someone who would be writing a lot of scriptures, what better way to impress on his mind the importance of the scriptures than by showing Nephi that they are worth killing for.
Nice.

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

No sarcasm, Jason. Just a response to a very simple sure-minded statement. I know that the worth of souls is great in the eyes of the Lord, but a tare is a tare and good only to be burned. Countless people will suffer a great and dreadful fate when Christ returns.

EmmaLee
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by EmmaLee »

Coachmarc - I believe what Jason was saying was that tuktuk21's comment was meant as sarcasm. ;)

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

Oh, gotcha. Well tuk seems to have registered just to make one sarcastic comment. Must have been quite passionate either way.

AussieOi
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by AussieOi »

Laban came after him to kill him 3 times, then god delivered him into Nephi's hand
D&C98. there it is.
Nephi was justified
more proof god fulfils his words

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

"the law according to God necessitated that Laban be judged and measured according to his own word. Nephi carried out justice under the law of obedience, not under the law of justice – and consequently, was blessed for his actions as well as for his intentions."

"Watch it!" That's what I'm often telling myself.

Look at his brothers always trying to kill him---"and I did frankly forgive them". No, Nephi wasn't a blood-thirsty guy.

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

As I mentioned, I believe, in another thread, I have collected so many articles from church magazines over the decades for a lot of research that I've done in my life. And speaking of Nephi, no, of course he wasn't blood thirsty. He was much, much, MUCH more. I have a hard copy of this along with many others for my research of Nephi and Lehi, along with their travels and the places they covered along the red sea and Arabia, but I found the online article. Gotta love the internet!! I hope you enjoy this article and really appreciate what kind of a man Nephi was. He truly is one of my greatest heroes.

http://lds.org/ensign/1976/09/nephi-a-u ... n?lang=eng" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

LukeAir2008
captain of 1,000

Post by LukeAir2008 »

Nephi did Laban a huge favor. He shed his blood to not only atone for his sins but to also bring forward a great work. I bet Laban was hugging Nephi in the Spirit world.

Jason
Master of Puppets

Post by Jason »

JulesGP wrote:
Jason wrote: Why not just stop his heart? a little too much alcohol poisoning? bad bacteria? nasty virus?
JulesGP wrote:
Jason wrote:A TEST of obedience???? Something along the lines of Abraham???
That's what the article says ;)
LOL....it was rhetorically implied....but I reckon I should have stated that.

Jason
Master of Puppets

Post by Jason »

LukeAir2008 wrote:Nephi did Laban a huge favor. He shed his blood to not only atone for his sins but to also bring forward a great work. I bet Laban was hugging Nephi in the Spirit world.
Perhaps....of course that would negate Alma's preaching on the probationary period.