Utah Considers Return to Gold, Silver Coins

Discuss political news items / current events.
Rincon
captain of 100

Utah Considers Return to Gold, Silver Coins

Post by Rincon »

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/03 ... ver-coins/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

12 other states considering similar proposals.

Jason
Master of Puppets

Re: Utah Considers Return to Gold, Silver Coins

Post by Jason »

Cool....I hope they implement it! That will really turbo charge deflation and drive housing values into the dirt.....

Col. Flagg
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Col. Flagg »

This is the states' way of combating the corruption, larceny, fraud, deception and ponzi schemes that are destroying the value of our money thanks to Washington, DC, the 'Fed' and Wall Street. I guess this would be one way to tell 'em all to stick it where the sun don’t shine! :) Now we just need the other 36 states to jump aboard and Washington and the ‘Fed’ will have a little problem on their hands! :ymapplause: =)) :-o –Achmed.

Rincon
captain of 100

Post by Rincon »

Removed
Last edited by Rincon on April 1st, 2011, 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jason
Master of Puppets

Post by Jason »

Rincon wrote:
Mummy wrote:Cool....I hope they implement it! That will really turbo charge deflation and drive housing values into the dirt.....

How will it drive housing prices down. My mind works in simple mode, it has to be explained to me.
You have to buy the gold/silver before you can back a currency with it......that means taxes on a scale we've never witnessed before in history. That means less money to pay bills and buy houses and stuff of that nature....

It will never happen....but if it did....that would be the result!

Jason
Master of Puppets

Post by Jason »

Col. Flagg wrote:This is the states' way of combating the corruption, larceny, fraud, deception and ponzi schemes that are destroying the value of our money thanks to Washington, DC, the 'Fed' and Wall Street. I guess this would be one way to tell 'em all to stick it where the sun don’t shine! :) Now we just need the other 36 states to jump aboard and Washington and the ‘Fed’ will have a little problem on their hands! :ymapplause: =)) :-o –Achmed.
Oh yeah....we'll stick it to them where the sun doesn't shine as we try to buy THEIR gold and silver to back our new currencies......what a joke!

Rincon
captain of 100

Post by Rincon »

Removed

Jason
Master of Puppets

Post by Jason »

Rincon wrote:The article said they have no intention of backing currency with gold and silver. The proposal is for the State and hopefully other entities to accept metal for payment of taxes etc. I see this as a great idea, because the only downside to owning metal is marketability. If you want to sell some you depend on a few dealers who might or might not be there wen you want to sell. Also for people outside town it is a real inconvenience to sell some metal. Say for example if a person lives 300 miles from the Wasatch front and runs out of cash and wants to sell a gold coin, it's a 600 mile round trip to do it.
Why would the states want to do this? Have you ever tried paying your taxes with cash? How difficult will it be for gold/silver? Won't that be subject to price manipulation?

Why would the people turn over their gold/silver that they have been hoarding to the state for taxes unless the value the state would take the metal at is more than what the market is offering? With associated extra tax burden (security, theft, etc).....

Of course if they did I would stand to gain since I work in the exploration business....and my stake in a couple of years would set me up for life. But it won't happen.....

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

Wouldn't the devaluation of currency render Gold and Silver just another mineral like copper? How could one buy it if the dollar is worthless?

LDSNZ
captain of 100

Post by LDSNZ »

Col. Flagg wrote:This is the states' way of combating the corruption, larceny, fraud, deception and ponzi schemes that are destroying the value of our money thanks to Washington, DC, the 'Fed' and Wall Street. I guess this would be one way to tell 'em all to stick it where the sun don’t shine! :)
Lol :))
Mummy wrote:Cool....I hope they implement it! That will really turbo charge deflation and drive housing values into the dirt.....
Wish that happened here. Real estate in NZ is pathetically overpriced.
Mummy wrote:It will never happen.
Why will it never happen?

Rincon
captain of 100

Post by Rincon »

Removed

Jason
Master of Puppets

Post by Jason »

LDSNZ wrote:
Col. Flagg wrote:This is the states' way of combating the corruption, larceny, fraud, deception and ponzi schemes that are destroying the value of our money thanks to Washington, DC, the 'Fed' and Wall Street. I guess this would be one way to tell 'em all to stick it where the sun don’t shine! :)
Lol :))
Wish that happened here. Real estate in NZ is pathetically overpriced.
Mummy wrote:It will never happen.
Why will it never happen?
Oh its coming.....you folks (Australia, New Zealand, etc.) are just a little late to the party!

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

Ron Paul said it's a good thing to do. So there you have it. Done!

Me, I think it's just another way for gov. to render us poor. Once people give all their metal away, they no longer will have any leverage. Where else do we think the metal will end up? One of two places, either in the hands of some tax person at the IRS or higher up the chain into some gov. official's pockets. Ya, that's a good way to go. Let's jump right on that one!

Rincon
captain of 100

Post by Rincon »

Removed
Last edited by Rincon on April 1st, 2011, 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

Rincon wrote:
freedomfighter wrote:Ron Paul said it's a good thing to do. So there you have it. Done!

Me, I think it's just another way for gov. to render us poor. Once people give all their metal away, they no longer will have any leverage. Where else do we think the metal will end up? One of two places, either in the hands of some tax person at the IRS or higher up the chain into some gov. official's pockets. Ya, that's a good way to go. Let's jump right on that one!

I still don't understand why you guys have reservations about making metal legal tender. Just because metal becomes legal tender doesn't mean you have to sell any. It just gives you the option to in case of emergency.
I don't think it is just an issue of making metal legal tender; junk coins and gold coins can probably be used for buying stuff. The problem lies in that in the article it states that the metal is used to pay income taxes, at least this is my understanding. To me it's just another ploy to get precious metals from the public so we, the public, will more easily be thrust into captivity by government so we will be more dependent on them. We are taught to be self reliant, and without buying power...what then?

Rincon
captain of 100

Post by Rincon »

Removed

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

This scenerio may not be typical but is possible at some point.

Okay, so a person walks into a favorite store and buys some gum with two sandwiched quarters ($.50 post 1964). Works great!

Later on the same guy goes into the same store and all he has is junk silver (pre 64). Now there's a problem. A silver dime he extracts from his pocket is worth twenty times face value ($2.00). The merchant doesn't know this so an arguement ensues. So the key is to know what the value of silver is, and educate merchants to accept their required amount out of the junk silver. Only now there is no way for the merchant to give change back for the dime since there were only a few knickels containing silver. So the guy goes away with one pack of gum, a one dollar bill and two post 64 fifty cent pieces. Everybody's happy.

This would work in Oregon since there is no sales tax.

I hope my math is good on this one.

A Utah guy owes $3000.00 in taxes to the IRS. He pays it with $150.00 in junk silver. This satisfies the debt, right? 150 X 20 = 3000

Rincon
captain of 100

Post by Rincon »

Removed

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

For anyone interested.

Myths, Misunderstandings & Outright Lies

http://www.cmi-gold-silver.com/gold-con ... -1933.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Toto
captain of 1,000

Post by Toto »

The whole issue is a bunch of bunk. There is nobody in the State of Utah qualified to pass ANY laws. What we need to do is obey and uphold the law we already have, which includes the requirement to take and proscribe an Oath of Office, which nobody is doing, hence the reason nobody is qualified in any position of public service, or to pass any legislation…..

Parker v. Overman/Opinion of the Court

The record shows that Payton S. Bethel, the then sheriff of the county of Dallas, did not file his oath as assessor on or before the 10th of January, as required by law. He did file an oath on the 15th of March, but this was not a compliance with the law, and conferred no power on him to act as assessor. On the contrary, by his neglect to comply with the law, his office of sheriff became ipso facto vacated, and any assessment made by him in that year was void, and could not be the foundation for a legal sale. (My emphasis)
http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Parker_v. ... _the_Court" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This Supreme Court case had never been overturned.

Furthermore…..

Bank notes not payable in gold and silver coin are unlawful, unconstitutional and void. Such bank notes do not constitute a valid contract, are not a Tender in payment of gold and silver Coin, and are, therefore, repugnant to the Constitution of the United States and the Constitution of Utah and are absolutely void. Possession with intent to pass or circulate such bank notes or offer them to the State of Utah or any political subdivision is a felony under both Utah and United States law. Use of such unfunded notes as genuine obligations of the United States constitutes dealing in falsely made securities and obligations of the United States with intent to defraud. 18 US 4, 8, 331, 332, 371, 471-473, 891-894, 1341-1343, 1961-1965, 2581-1986 and Utah Code 76-8-414, inter alia.

So there you have it. If the People of the State of Utah and our supposed elected officials were complying with the law, the People of the State of Utah would be using gold and silver coin in the operation of State Government, and we wouldn’t be having this discussion.

So if the question is….. Where are we going, and what are we doing in this hand basket?.....now you know.