Looking for a confirmation, Elder Packer talk---

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
Mark
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Looking for a confirmation, Elder Packer talk---

Post by Mark »

p51-mustang wrote:
Zowieink wrote:Also, my next door neighbor's son left the mtc about 3 weeks ago. He told his parents that there was a VERY short talk by one of the apostles, he couldn't remember who, but that it was only a "couple" of minutes. This talked revolved around the future of way missionaries taught the gospel to investigators. He (the speaker) stated that soon we will no long teach the gospel with lessons, but that the missionaries will warn in the same manner as spoken about in the D & C: "Let every man warn is neighbor" and to warn of the coming calamities, etc. etc. etc. Don't know if its the same talk? If you need more facts I'll email this missionary and get them.
Wow, that is an nteresting quote there. Over the years I have been praying to know what my duty was to my country and family in regard to the freedom issue. Should I fight to retain freedom, or spend my time warning neighbors of whats coming and preparing them to be ready? On thursday I was at a movie with some ward members. I was mentally making note of the generally sad spiritual condition of the people portayed in the movie (bondage of sinful, godless lives). Then I had the very distinct impression that our country was about to be destroyed and that I should do all I can to get my friends to repent and accept Christ and his church. I had the impression that I needed to be bold and just tell people outright that the only chance that they had to remain safe was to turn with full intent to the Savior.

This revelation that Packer is teaching this same sort of boldness in teaching, confirms to me that the impression I had on thursday was indeed from a source higher than myself.

I hope to hear more specifics about Pres Packers brief missionary talk. On a side note, Elder Bowen came to our recent stake conference and also said that persecution and suffering was coming that would be worse than what early saints experienced.

A shift to Abinadi type preaching is certain to lead to terrible persecution of the saints, IMHO

Okay p51 and Z you got me thinking. (Very dangerous I know) Think about the sacrifices of the early Priesthood Brethren as they were called into the world to go out without purse or script and teach the gospel to all the world. They left their families for 3 plus years to go spread the word and warn of the calamities coming.

Now what if we found ourselves in that same situation because of the Lord opening the doors to many nations that have not yet accepted missionaries within their boundries. Just think of the many Islamic or communist nations like China opening their doors to the preaching of the gospel. How many missionaries would be needed to satisfy the needs? What kinds of sacrifices would be needed on our part to satisfy those needs?

What if western economic situations became dire because of all the debt and shenanigans going on? Would the Lord expect us to step up to the plate and serve wherever called even if it meant tremendous sacrifice on our part or on our families who may become destitute financially? So many possibilities..

Scarecrow
captain of 100

Post by Scarecrow »

bobhenstra wrote:Sheesh, all I ask for was confirmation of third person testimony!!

Bob
Bob, you've received multiple confirmations of this now. Were you just trying to confirm what you heard, but planned to keep the information to yourself (not cool in my opinion) or do you have any intentions of sharing this?
Last edited by Scarecrow on December 6th, 2010, 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mark
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Mark »

holyhabanero wrote:
bobhenstra wrote:Sheesh, all I ask for was confirmation of third person testimony!!

Bob
Bob, you've reveived multiple confirmations of this now. Were you just trying to confirm what you heard, but planned to keep the information to yourself (not cool in my opinion) or do you have any intentions of sharing this?

Just PM the stuff to me Bobby and I will see if it matches up to what all my inside sources are telling me and then we can decide together if it is okay for public consumption. Deal?

Raindrop
captain of 100

Post by Raindrop »

I will confirm.

Pres. Packer was carrying a big red sack of toys when he came to the MTC.

Now let's hear the rest, Bob...

loveoneanother
captain of 50

Post by loveoneanother »

Mark wrote:
bobhenstra wrote:
braingrunt wrote:President Packer "Just walking in" is miraculous enough for me. He's been confined to his chair the last few talks he has given and I was beginning to wonder if he was totally bound to a wheelchair? Even if not, it's nice to know he walked in, just to calm my worries.

Long life and the best of health to President Monson, but for many years now I've been curious to see President Packer as prophet. If he can rally a bit maybe he can live long enough to serve there, but maybe it's not meant to be.
43 or so years ago, just before Jo and I were married, one of my college room mates was one of Elder Packers grandkids, it amazes "me" that he is still around after all these years.

Bob

Elder Packer's grandson is a friend of mine and this stuff from Bob is nothing compared to what he has whispered in my ear. I only wish I was at liberty to disclose some of the stuff I've heard recently. "sigh" Suffice it to say things are really going to really heat up soon. Buckle up and hang on tight. The giant chasm between the church and the world is about to get even bigger. Read those prophesies and scriptural references from the early Brethren about the church during the times of fulfillment of the fullness of iniquity. They are staring us right between the eyes. :shock:
Hey Mark, do you have reference to the scripture or book to read concerning the fullness of iniquity, (besides the obvious triple combination)? just list references please.
Thank you

7cylon7
captain of 1,000

Post by 7cylon7 »

Raindrop wrote:I will confirm.

Now let's hear the rest, Bob...

LOL AWESOME.... I want a football and a Wii and some gold and some silver and some wheat... and.....

michsko
Hi, I'm new.

Post by michsko »

holyhabanero wrote:
michsko wrote:
Zowieink wrote:Also, my next door neighbor's son left the mtc about 3 weeks ago. He told his parents that there was a VERY short talk by one of the apostles, he couldn't remember who, but that it was only a "couple" of minutes. This talked revolved around the future of way missionaries taught the gospel to investigators. He (the speaker) stated that soon we will no long teach the gospel with lessons, but that the missionaries will warn in the same manner as spoken about in the D & C: "Let every man warn is neighbor" and to warn of the coming calamities, etc. etc. etc. Don't know if its the same talk? If you need more facts I'll email this missionary and get them.
Coming out of a long lurker status to say: My son was also in the MTC about 3 weeks ago. He mentioned that talk and that it was given by Elder Bednar. That is all. Back to major lurker status.
Did your son say give any details of the talk, or did he just say that Elder Bednar spoke to them?
Here is what he had to say. Keeping in mind that he was looking at things as a new missionary and not looking for things that we might.
He said:
"Elder Bednar gave an excellent talk on the subject my first week here (he entered the MTC on Nov. 3). He(Elder Bednar) said that too often members are too bothered with applications and not doctrine. The example he used was that of an Elder's Quorum Presidency trying to increase home teaching by bribing people by baking a cake and offering fresh cake to those who got the H.T. done early and more stale ones later on in the month. The idea being that all the cakes would be cooked at once at the beginning of the month. He blatantly said that things like this were kitschy gimics and then explained that in order for people to behave better they need to be taught true doctrine, because when doctrine is truly understood it changes your life."
That's all that he mentioned. He's in the mission field now and I can ask him if he remembers anything else but, he's the type of young man who would have mentioned if something "last days" like were said. Sorry if this bursts anybodies bubble. Not saying Pres. Packer didn't show but, he only mentioned Bednar.

mattctr
captain of 100

Post by mattctr »

Our curiosity has kept this thread alive beyond a normal shelf life, and we're starting to grow a little mold. Regardless of whether you share the complete details, Bob, you've already given us a gist of what Elder Packer said, for which I am grateful. Looks like some of these recent posts may ease your concerns.

Thanks for cluing us in to begin with and confirming, in part, what others have since discovered from their connections. You're great, Bob! I've always appreciated your posts.

Stake conference:
Elder Nelson's words were mild and sweet and provided the needed pick-me up after the other speakers. :shock: Paraphrasing a few highlights of Elder Nelson's talk:
  • :arrow: Hearing the prelude music alone (Christmas hymns) was worth all of our coming here.
    :arrow: Thanked and sustained the words of "warning, reinforcement, and faith" :shock: that other speakers shared.
    :arrow: He told us that our patriarch was a "prophet in our midst." (Repeated twice)
    :arrow: Parents should encourage youth to prepare for and desire to get their patriarchal blessings.
    :arrow: The bulk of his talk was spent reading phrases from Luke 2 and expounding on the word origins and historical details contained in those verses. He urged parents to teach children the Christmas story from the pages of the scriptures. His words were sweet, kind, and filled with love!

Before teaching us the story from the bible, he told about how their family holds a Christmas pageant (lots of kids, grand kids, and great-grand kids) reenacting Luke 2. One of the little girls, assigned to hold the new star, told him she had the most important part. When asked, "How so?" She said something to the effect: "Because the star shows people how to find Jesus." He then proceeded to teach us about Christ's birth.

7cylon7
captain of 1,000

Post by 7cylon7 »

What no Santa Clause?

I know I know I could not resist.

shadow
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by shadow »

michsko wrote: Here is what he had to say. Keeping in mind that he was looking at things as a new missionary and not looking for things that we might.
He said:
"Elder Bednar gave an excellent talk on the subject my first week here (he entered the MTC on Nov. 3). He(Elder Bednar) said that too often members are too bothered with applications and not doctrine. The example he used was that of an Elder's Quorum Presidency trying to increase home teaching by bribing people by baking a cake and offering fresh cake to those who got the H.T. done early and more stale ones later on in the month. The idea being that all the cakes would be cooked at once at the beginning of the month. He blatantly said that things like this were kitschy gimics and then explained that in order for people to behave better they need to be taught true doctrine, because when doctrine is truly understood it changes your life."
That's all that he mentioned. He's in the mission field now and I can ask him if he remembers anything else but, he's the type of young man who would have mentioned if something "last days" like were said. Sorry if this bursts anybodies bubble. Not saying Pres. Packer didn't show but, he only mentioned Bednar.
I think Bob is referering to a different talk. Maybe your son wasn't at the MTC for that particualr talk.

ChemtrailWatcher
captain of 100

Post by ChemtrailWatcher »

Hee Hee! :lol: :lol:

reese
captain of 1,000

Post by reese »

We had Elder Bednar speak at a stake conf. yesterday. It was very good. He said something that I found particularly interesting. He said - "for us to have the authority of the priesthood but not the power of the priesthood, is completely unacceptable to the Lord!"

p51-mustang
captain of 1,000

Post by p51-mustang »

If pres monson comes out openly and starts telling govt leaders that they need to repent or they will be destroyed as some have alluded to here, then that surely would bring about huge persecution. I have pondered what kind of catalyst would cause huge persecution and this is the only scenerio that makes sense to me.

People dont like being told the truth about their awful situation like this. The Truth hurts. Sure maybe not as much as sitting on a bike with no seat, but hey it still hurts!

Col. Flagg
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Col. Flagg »

p51-mustang wrote:If pres monson comes out openly and starts telling govt leaders that they need to repent or they will be destroyed as some have alluded to here, then that surely would bring about huge persecution. I have pondered what kind of catalyst would cause huge persecution and this is the only scenerio that makes sense to me.

People dont like being told the truth about their awful situation like this. The Truth hurts. Sure maybe not as much as sitting on a bike with no seat, but hey it still hurts!
My sentiments exactly p-51.

p51-mustang
captain of 1,000

Post by p51-mustang »

Col. Flagg wrote:
p51-mustang wrote:If pres monson comes out openly and starts telling govt leaders that they need to repent or they will be destroyed as some have alluded to here, then that surely would bring about huge persecution. I have pondered what kind of catalyst would cause huge persecution and this is the only scenerio that makes sense to me.

My sentiments exactly p-51.
Col, you've set on a bike with no seat then?..... :lol:

Nan
captain of 1,000

Post by Nan »

I think that everyone one is missing the bright side of this thread. It is long and there isn't an argument going on. :o :o :o :o :o :o

Jason
Master of Puppets

Post by Jason »

Nan wrote:I think that everyone one is missing the bright side of this thread. It is long and there isn't an argument going on. :o :o :o :o :o :o
LOL....enjoy it while it lasts!!!

bobhenstra
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by bobhenstra »

In my failed attempt to verify this talk, I was simply asking if someone here, on this site, was actually present for the talk, the staff and priesthood support at the MTC is huge, I thought perhaps someone on this site was there, or knew somebody who was.

My test to "verify" that experience as related by my very good friend, was to ask; "what was Elder Packer carrying?" I had no intention of turning the question or this thread into what it has become, I was simply trying to verify a talk. And as I mentioned before, because I so very much dislike third person testimony as in; my good friend friend told me, I tell you good folk, which equals third person testimony, and I wanted to avoid that.

There are some here with amazing intuition, your very close to the Spirit. The subject of the talk, as it was related to me (third person testimony) has been covered.

And, what Elder Packer was carrying was a "staff" a walking stick as tall as he is. If anybody paid attention to the end of last Octobers conference, you would have seen Elder Packer exiting the conference with the aid of a "staff!" A witness present at the MTC would have seen the staff, my source described him as looking like Moses without the robes, in a suit ( again, third person testimony).

So there you have it, third person testimony. The event still hasn't been confirmed in my mind, "I" need further witnesses!

Bob

Quill
captain of 10

Post by Quill »

I heard Elder Packer was getting weaker and weaker from the effects of polio that he had as a youngster. So it's true that he can walk, just not stand and give a talk? If so, that is great news.

Earlier someone referred to a statement by Elder Packer that we would understand the order in which Pres's Hinckley, Monson, and Packer were called. What do you think it means? Seems to me it would mean that if Packer outlives President Monson, and if he were called first neither President Hinckley or President Monson would have had the chance to lead the church.

Quill
captain of 10

Post by Quill »

Just got an email from my brother in El Salvador. I asked him about changing the teaching style to preaching destruction and he said, "Yes I heard about the change in teaching while I was in the MTC. The president of the MTC said that it will be changed soon but we will have left the MTC by then and we will learn it in the field. So yes I heard that it is supposed to happen. As for Mission pres here saying anything about it, not yet. We have a mission conference the 22 of December though so maybe later..."

He doesn't have much time to write so he wasn't specific. At least he heard of changing the teaching method.

give_me_liberty
captain of 50

Post by give_me_liberty »

mattctr wrote:
bobhenstra wrote: A description of how Elder Packer entered the room full of missionaries and staff will tell me I can repeat everything that was told me. It wasn't a magical appearance, he just walked in, but he was carrying something! My hearing again what that something was, will give me what I seek, a confirmation of third person testimony!
I appreciate your situation and hope someone can help substantiate the information you were told, though I have to admit his "carrying something!" stirs up even more curiosity... A cane, oxygen tank, scriptures, white seer stone, photograph or painting, one of his wood carvings, golden trumpet, crook/staff, Liahona, sword of Laban, gold plates, car keys, glass of water, apple... As you can see, my guesses are all over the board. :D
matt got it right Bob, now you keep your end of the deal... 8) 8) 8) :lol:

mattctr
captain of 100

Post by mattctr »

give_me_liberty wrote:matt got it right Bob, now you keep your end of the deal... 8) 8) 8) :lol:
Though I listed it among many other guesses, I wouldn't claim my guess to be any confirmation or validation; it was merely a guess. However, I think Bob has already told us plenty. He mentioned the staff (Moses likeness) and confirmed the basic message already; I consider it done.

Now, what a blessing it is to have prophets and apostles in our midst. To have in President Packer, such a guileless man like unto Moses of old. How blessed we are to sustain and follow the first presidency and the twelve.

katmr
captain of 100

Post by katmr »

Quill wrote:Just got an email from my brother in El Salvador. I asked him about changing the teaching style to preaching destruction and he said, "Yes I heard about the change in teaching while I was in the MTC. The president of the MTC said that it will be changed soon but we will have left the MTC by then and we will learn it in the field. So yes I heard that it is supposed to happen. As for Mission pres here saying anything about it, not yet. We have a mission conference the 22 of December though so maybe later..."

He doesn't have much time to write so he wasn't specific. At least he heard of changing the teaching method.
When did your brother leave the MTC?

tribrac
captain of 1,000

Post by tribrac »

Can somebody please post an aledged transcript already?

NoGreaterLove
captain of 1,000

Post by NoGreaterLove »

So if this is a parallel to Samuel the lamanites warning, we could have five years left folks.

If that be the case, we would have 1.5 years left before the 3 1/2 years of tribulation for the saints. All aproximate of course!