Pres. Packer's talk at regional stake conference today

Discuss the last days, Zion, second coming, emergency preparedness, alternative health, etc.
Col. Flagg
Level 34 Illuminated

Pres. Packer's talk at regional stake conference today

Post by Col. Flagg »

Did anyone else get the feeling that the regional stake conference for all of Utah County today was devoted to one of warning? I was specifically intrigued by what Pres. Packer had to say. Although he spoke for over 45 minutes and seemed to hit on many different topics and messages with his stories and such, he said something twice that got my attention... once at the beginning of his address and at the end, which was that the trials and tribulation experienced by the Saints in Nauvoo and on their way to Utah is nothing compared to what is coming. I also thought it was obvious what they were warning of with the selection of the hymns, especially the opening hymn - "Guide Us, Oh Thou Great Jehovah" and the words:

Guide us, O thou great Jehovah,
Guide us to the promised land.
We are weak, but thou art able;
Hold us with thy pow'rful hand.
Holy Spirit, Holy Spirit,
Feed us till the Savior comes.
Feed us till the Savior comes.

Open, Jesus, Zion's fountains;
Let her richest blessings come.
Let the fiery, cloudy pillar
Guard us to this holy home.

Great Redeemer, Great Redeemer,
Bring, oh, bring the welcome day!
Bring, oh, bring the welcome day!

When the earth begins to tremble,
Bid our fearful thoughts be still;
When thy judgments spread destruction,
Keep us safe on Zion's hill,
Singing praises, Singing praises,
Songs of glory unto thee,
Songs of glory unto thee.

Did anyone else get the same feeling?

BroJones
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Pres. Packer's talk at regional stake conference today

Post by BroJones »

Thanks -- this particular resonates:

PS -- do you happy valley folks have a good place of resort when the earth begins to tremble? and then really gets going?

highfive
captain of 100

Post by highfive »

President Packer said twice that the hair raising adventures of the early saints was the easy part. That from now on it would be harder than that.

sbsion
captain of 1,000

Post by sbsion »

Oct conference aught to be interesting, "last voice of warning"? :idea:

bobhenstra
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by bobhenstra »

highfive wrote:President Packer said twice that the hair raising adventures of the early saints was the easy part. That from now on it would be harder than that.
I too noticed the selection of songs, the stories by Elder Holland, and the warnings of coming hardships by President Packer. One of the very best conferences I've ever attended.

I've been in some pretty big earthquakes in my day, I doubt anything coming in the near future will be as bad, could be wrong!

I ain't worried Steve, I say, bring it on!

If we're not ready, then who's fault is it?

The recorder I took to record the messages wouldn't work, even though I put new batteries in it. Still won't work, go figure!

Bob

kathyn
captain of 1,000

Post by kathyn »

Our regional stake conference isn't til later in October. Drat. But I'll be listening to the messages in General Conference with a discerning ear, I hope.

singyourwayhome
captain of 1,000

Post by singyourwayhome »

bobhenstra wrote:
highfive wrote:President Packer said twice that the hair raising adventures of the early saints was the easy part. That from now on it would be harder than that.

I've been in some pretty big earthquakes in my day, I doubt anything coming in the near future will be as bad, could be wrong!

I ain't worried Steve, I say, bring it on!

If we're not ready, then who's fault is it?

Bob
:lol: Pun intended?

Wilford
captain of 50

Post by Wilford »

DrJones wrote:Thanks -- this particular resonates:

PS -- do you happy valley folks have a good place of resort when the earth begins to tremble? and then really gets going?
What were the other hymns?

Original_Intent
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Original_Intent »

All of the messages were very strong and very clear. Despite all that was said I feel that those who have heeded the voice of the prophets and have done all that they could to prepare will not have reason to fear.

The messages were a strong confirmation for me of the timeline that we are on. I still have questions regarding what I personally need to do (some specific things) but the only way I can get the answers I need are from Heavenly Father.

I was a little surprised, it was President Packer that I was really anticipating hearing, but it was Elder Holland's message that I personally received the most insight and guidance from. Not what I was expecting - although it may have been due to the fact that I was surrounded by families with young children and they had gotten a little "restless" by the time President Packer started speaking. :lol:

Big big changes coming in the next 6 months to a year. General Conference will be amazing I have no doubt.

Be ready for anything and be willing to do whatever we are called on to do. The separation of the wheat from the chaff is about to commence. I hope I have the strength to be on the right side of that separation.

larsenb
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by larsenb »

bobhenstra wrote: . . . . . If we're not ready, then who's fault is it? . . . . .. Bob
The earthquake fault! :lol:

durangout
captain of 1,000

Post by durangout »

larsenb wrote:
bobhenstra wrote: . . . . . If we're not ready, then who's fault is it? . . . . .. Bob

durangout
captain of 1,000

Post by durangout »

Just heard from a friend that attended and gave very much the same report as the others who have posted. I'm glad I got another 120 lbs of flour in sealed containers last week. Time to visit the cannery again this week for more milk.

pjbrownie
captain of 1,000

Post by pjbrownie »

What about Sister Beck?

My wife and I took notice about how she talked about 2 Nephi 15: 26 And he will lift up an ensign to the nations from far, and will hiss unto them from the end of the earth; and behold, they shall come with speed swiftly; none shall be weary nor stumble among them.
27 None shall slumber nor sleep; neither shall the girdle of their loins be loosed, nor the latchet of their shoes be broken;
28 Whose arrows shall be sharp, and all their bows bent, and their horses’ hoofs shall be counted like flint, and their wheels like a whirlwind, their roaring like a lion.
29 They shall roar like young lions; yea, they shall roar, and lay hold of the prey, and shall carry away safe, and none shall deliver.
30 And in that day they shall roar against them like the roaring of the sea; and if they look unto the land, behold, darkness and sorrow, and the light is darkened in the heavens thereof.

She talked about how we needed to be worthy enough to be part of this.

AND that we need to worth so that we're not part of the judgments against the Gentiles which are happening right NOW.

We felt sad that President Packer is getting so old. We felt that he wanted to say more, but that he was rambling a bit. I don't how much longer he's got. He seems to be getting a little senile. The most important parts were at the beginning and at the end--we will be going through the same things, perhaps even worse.

Those that had ears heard. Everyone else just thinks its a spiritual metaphor only.

pjbrownie
captain of 1,000

Post by pjbrownie »

She said the judgments are happening now, not soon, not almost here, but now. That really woke me up.

bobhenstra
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by bobhenstra »

larsenb wrote:

Lol, obviously leaving no "observable" evidence----

Bob

kathyn
captain of 1,000

Post by kathyn »

I really appreciate all of your posts. It sounds like it was an amazing conference. I hope some of you took notes and can share further with us. It certainly does seem that now is the time to get with the program and to do whatever we need to as soon as we're able.

BroJones
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by BroJones »

Original_Intent wrote:All of the messages were very strong and very clear. Despite all that was said I feel that those who have heeded the voice of the prophets and have done all that they could to prepare will not have reason to fear.

The messages were a strong confirmation for me of the timeline that we are on. I still have questions regarding what I personally need to do (some specific things) but the only way I can get the answers I need are from Heavenly Father.

I was a little surprised, it was President Packer that I was really anticipating hearing, but it was Elder Holland's message that I personally received the most insight and guidance from. Not what I was expecting - although it may have been due to the fact that I was surrounded by families with young children and they had gotten a little "restless" by the time President Packer started speaking. :lol:

Big big changes coming in the next 6 months to a year. General Conference will be amazing I have no doubt.

Be ready for anything and be willing to do whatever we are called on to do. The separation of the wheat from the chaff is about to commence. I hope I have the strength to be on the right side of that separation.
OI -- was this "separation" or sifting mentioned by the Brethren, or your comment?
Thanks for the insights everyone.

kathyn
captain of 1,000

Post by kathyn »

I am so conflicted; on the one hand I dread some of the tribulations that are almost upon us. On the other, we are losing our youth at an alarming rate and I want to see Babylon destroyed before she grabs any more of us. I feel that we are in that period of time when the Saints will be overcome for a short season. We are struggling, even in the strongest LDS households. What will happen when the real trials start? For me, I really hope that some of my children who have strayed will finally come to their senses. I know that the Lord will use every tool He's got to get people to repent. I figure He'll try to literally scare the hell out of them.

BroJones
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by BroJones »

kathyn wrote:I am so conflicted; on the one hand I dread some of the tribulations that are almost upon us. On the other, we are losing our youth at an alarming rate and I want to see Babylon destroyed before she grabs any more of us. I feel that we are in that period of time when the Saints will be overcome for a short season. We are struggling, even in the strongest LDS households. What will happen when the real trials start? For me, I really hope that some of my children who have strayed will finally come to their senses. I know that the Lord will use every tool He's got to get people to repent. I figure He'll try to literally scare the hell out of them.
Good points, Kathyn. Today I've been wondering what the "Sifting" factor will be -- prophesied in the D&C for the last days.
Perhaps it will depend somewhat on the individual... but I suspect that the choice will come down to "Babylon" or faithfulness to the word of the Lord and to His Church.

kathyn
captain of 1,000

Post by kathyn »

but I suspect that the choice will come down to "Babylon" or faithfulness to the word of the Lord and to His Church.
Dr. Jones, I think you're right about this. I just wonder how obvious the choice will really be. I think that it must be fairly obvious to the righteous but not to the rest of the world. But it will still be a real test for the righteous. It's going to make life very difficult, I'm sure.

Original_Intent
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Original_Intent »

DrJones wrote:
Original_Intent wrote:All of the messages were very strong and very clear. Despite all that was said I feel that those who have heeded the voice of the prophets and have done all that they could to prepare will not have reason to fear.

OI -- was this "separation" or sifting mentioned by the Brethren, or your comment?
Thanks for the insights everyone.
I apologize for the lack of clarity - the separation was my comment, not mentioned by the speakers.

AngelPalmoni
captain of 100

Post by AngelPalmoni »

There is no way to get copies of these talks are there? I am very interested as there has been no and I mean no warnings to our side of the world for a long long time... And things are very very close to happening and now Boyd K Packer just steps up and warns...

Cool Stuff,

Any more details would be awesome?!

NoGreaterLove
captain of 1,000

Post by NoGreaterLove »

I second what AP has said. I am hoping someone can give us the exact quote given by Packer concerning the tribulations, or as close as possible.

Last days Warrior
Hi, I'm new.

Post by Last days Warrior »

we have been told that the last days will be the hardest and the most trying period in the history of man, but also that it will be the greatest spiritual time in history as well. Do not forget though that saints have lost their lives for their beliefs we must be prepared for that because it it is going to be harder than ever before you can bet that saints will be called to sacrifice their lives as a testimony against the wicked in this world. We are also told that a great cleanising will happen within the church,(we are going to lose members). We must band together. Together we are strong serving eachother and strengthening the church and it members is the way we will prevail. we need men like unto Captain Moroni. Alma 48: 17
17 Yea, verily, verily I say unto you, if all men had been, and were, and ever would be, like unto Moroni, behold, the very powers of hell would have been shaken forever; yea, the devil would never have power over the hearts of the children of men.
We need to fortify our testimonies and faith it cannot waiver we have to be solid without doubt.
I pray that all that read this prepare in all areas of your life. We are at the brink the very edge, we have be already warned that the leaves are commencing to show 34 years ago http://lds.org/ldsorg/v/index.jsp?hideN ... 82620aRCRD I know that Jesus Christ our savior will come again and that if we put our full trust in him we will be saved.

natasha
captain of 1,000

Post by natasha »

I thought we had been cautioned from the pulpit regarding how we transmit information said from the pulpit, on the internet. At any rate...I was there, too, and didn't think the warnings were anymore direct than they have been in the past few years. I also noted the stepped up emphasis on faith...fundamental to our handling all problems.