MicroShaft hates humanity

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
Fred
Level 34 Illuminated

MicroShaft hates humanity

Post by Fred »

Krusty
captain of 50

Re: MicroShaft hates humanity

Post by Krusty »

The best time to install Linux was yesterday. The next best time is today.

I recommend Linux Mint for Windows refugees.

If you are willingly running a spyware OS from a billion dollar corporation you get what you deserve.

RosyPosy
captain of 100

Post by RosyPosy »

Krusty wrote: May 29th, 2024, 8:38 am The best time to install Linux was yesterday. The next best time is today.

If you are willingly running a spyware OS from a billion dollar corporation you get what you deserve.
Time to format my unused ssd and do just that.

Atrasado
captain of 1,000

Post by Atrasado »

Fred wrote: May 28th, 2024, 10:10 pm
The real problem, as mentioned, is its legal ramifications and the capacity for blackmail.

Jashon
captain of 100

Post by Jashon »

Microsoft does many things to control you, and it stems ultimately from the massively evil entity that is Bill Gates. This inhuman miscreant is so bad that even is neo-Marxist ex-wife rejected him.

One thing that many have negatively experienced is Windows updates, which get increasingly difficult to block. And sometimes huge numbers of people suffer crashes from auto-updates, crashes that are so bad that re-installs of Windows have to be made.

One minor thing I just noticed, which shows that they're all about data mining, is a persistent warning banner if you select for personal info to be auto-removed from a document. And of course they funnel everything to be saved in their 'cloud' repositories, so they can extract all the information.

InfoWarrior82
Level 34 Illuminated
Location: "There are 15 on the earth today, you can trust them completely." -President Nelson (Jan 2022)

Post by InfoWarrior82 »

mudflap
captain of 1,000

Post by mudflap »

Krusty wrote: May 29th, 2024, 8:38 am The best time to install Linux was yesterday. The next best time is today.

I'm currently running linux mint. I've run Ubuntu, Lubuntu, crunchbang, and even puppy linux. There's a lot out there to choose from. no need to run windows or apple on anything. Plus, you can run linux on pc's that would've been in the landfill for a decade at this point had they been running windows.

MikeMaillet
captain of 1,000

Post by MikeMaillet »

I started using Macs in 1990 when I got a job as one of the scientific staff at a science centre/museum in northern Ontario. They had converted to the Mac because the people in the offices preferred them and the science centre's science guru was a forward thinker. I remember taking an SE30 (B&W portable Mac on steroids, for the time) home in a shoulder bag and in a few minutes being mesmerized by the mouse and graphics user interface. Everything was intuitive and designed for the user. I never looked back to DOS and remember quite well the launch of Windows 95. The Rolling Stones' Start Me Up was blaring in the speakers and people were lined up at 4am to be there to buy the new software. I never understood why people would buy this POS software. The Mac was plug n' play from day one and 11 years later Windows 95 was plug n' pray and nowhere near as polished as the Mac. Everything about it was clunky except for the two-button mouse. Whomever thought of that one deserves an award.

One of the largest mysteries for me is why on earth did people fall in love with a company that stole other people's ideas and made them worse.

Mike

Jashon
captain of 100

Post by Jashon »

I used mostly Macs in the 1980s. Then I switched to PCs in the early 1990s for work, and because you could get a 340 MB hard drive and a faster machine much cheaper than you could in the Apple world. In that decade there was more software available on PC, including financial software, before emulators were feasible.

MikeMaillet
captain of 1,000

Post by MikeMaillet »

Jashon wrote: May 29th, 2024, 4:13 pm I used mostly Macs in the 1980s. Then I switched to PCs in the early 1990s for work, and because you could get a 340 MB hard drive and a faster machine much cheaper than you could in the Apple world. In that decade there was more software available on PC, including financial software, before emulators were feasible.
I used the Mac in a more creative role and found it much easier to use than any other machine. I could easily insert a QuickTime video in another application and everything seemed to work very well across different platforms such as video, sound and still visuals. We also took advantage of the built-in networking software to share files and to play NetTrek after hours :-)

The HyperCard software that came bundled with the old Macs was everyone's introduction to hypertext, well before the internet became popular. You paid more for a Mac but for a few extra bucks you got a machine that was so much more. Apple screwed up when they ignored the gamers but they hit a home run with the creative types.

Mike

Fred
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fred »

InfoWarrior82 wrote: May 29th, 2024, 3:08 pm

Doing stuff in the background without our consent is what virus do. I already knew that all antivirus are actually in fact a virus. But now Windoze is also a virus.

tacocat
captain of 100

Post by tacocat »

I think this has been the critical mass for me that makes it impossible to ignore it workaround anymore.

Fred
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fred »

MikeMaillet wrote: May 29th, 2024, 4:25 pm
Jashon wrote: May 29th, 2024, 4:13 pm I used mostly Macs in the 1980s. Then I switched to PCs in the early 1990s for work, and because you could get a 340 MB hard drive and a faster machine much cheaper than you could in the Apple world. In that decade there was more software available on PC, including financial software, before emulators were feasible.
I used the Mac in a more creative role and found it much easier to use than any other machine. I could easily insert a QuickTime video in another application and everything seemed to work very well across different platforms such as video, sound and still visuals. We also took advantage of the built-in networking software to share files and to play NetTrek after hours :-)

The HyperCard software that came bundled with the old Macs was everyone's introduction to hypertext, well before the internet became popular. You paid more for a Mac but for a few extra bucks you got a machine that was so much more. Apple screwed up when they ignored the gamers but they hit a home run with the creative types.

Mike
When Windows 95 was released, I was a tech at Emerald Valley Computers in Eugene, Oregon. We were next door to Lane College and the store made a fortune off of the college students.

Funny story: A lady came in the computer store and said she had been to every other computer store and that everyone said that I was the best tech anywhere so she brought her computer in and specifically asked for me. She was LDS and had spent the previous 18 months on a mission. When she returned home, her computer would not boot. Several computer stores later she had paid quite a bit only to be told she had to throw it away and buy a new one. She was heavy into genealogy and had her records on the machine and she was desperate to have them back.

I got to it a day or so later and put my ear by the motherboard as I switched it on. No noise. No hard drive hum. I was familiar with interrupts and board level jumper settings, but this seemed far too easy for anyone claiming to be a technician. So I gently tapped the 10 MB hard drive with a hammer after I switched the power on. Whatever had it stuck came loose and it began to whirr. 5 minute fix. No parts required.

When she came to pick it up she was happy as a clam. I told her that if I was her, I would back it up as soon as possible and consider a new machine.

mudflap
captain of 1,000

Post by mudflap »

mudflap
captain of 1,000

Post by mudflap »

Fred
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fred »

slashdot has a forum where this is discussed...

https://tech.slashdot.org/story/24/06/0 ... -nightmare

gkearney
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by gkearney »

mudflap wrote: May 30th, 2024, 5:27 pm Image
Since when do MacOS or Linux users wear suits?

mudflap
captain of 1,000

Post by mudflap »

gkearney wrote: June 5th, 2024, 10:28 pm
mudflap wrote: May 30th, 2024, 5:27 pm Image
Since when do MacOS or Linux users wear suits?
I don't know about MacOS, but the NSA guys using Linux do, right?

But your point is taken. ;)

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

Krusty wrote: May 29th, 2024, 8:38 am If you are willingly running a spyware OS from a billion dollar corporation you get what you deserve.
For most people it is an issue of cost and availability.

Hiker
captain of 100

Post by Hiker »

There are clues from Microsoft's latest moves on Windows 11 that reveal what Microsoft is really up to. Do you really believe Microsoft released features like Windows Recall Screenshots and Keylogging because of user demand? Or Microsoft is releasing these in spite of the lack of demand for a different reason. Yes there is a different reason. These new features are the precursor to a kind of AI I used to only speculate about. But it's coming. And we have a lot to fear because of it.

mudflap
captain of 1,000

Post by mudflap »

Niemand wrote: June 8th, 2024, 3:50 am
Krusty wrote: May 29th, 2024, 8:38 am If you are willingly running a spyware OS from a billion dollar corporation you get what you deserve.
?

what do you mean? - Linux is free.

An old (decent) laptop is aroud $100.

I think it's more to do with people don't like "the unknown". And Linux doesn't have a lot of "really slick software" like Windows does.

My daughter got me to download "minecraft" - had to pay a fee for the game - like $7, so not too bad. but then her tablet "got too old" to play - they wanted her to upgrade. Instead, I got her to switch to minetest, which is free and runs on Linux / windows , and maybe mac, I don't know. Anyway, I stuck and old laptop in a closet 2 weeks ago and loaded Debian on it, and now she has her friends playing on her own minetest server. It uses like 1/10 of the computing power of Minecraft, and a lot of folks like it better because it's more customizable.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

mudflap wrote: June 12th, 2024, 4:14 pm
?

I think it's more to do with people don't like "the unknown". And Linux doesn't have a lot of "really slick software" like Windows does.

My daughter got me to download "minecraft" - had to pay a fee for the game - like $7, so not too bad. but then her tablet "got too old" to play - they wanted her to upgrade. Instead, I got her to switch to minetest, which is free and runs on Linux / windows , and maybe mac, I don't know. Anyway, I stuck and old laptop in a closet 2 weeks ago and loaded Debian on it, and now she has her friends playing on her own minetest server. It uses like 1/10 of the computing power of Minecraft, and a lot of folks like it better because it's more customizable.
Contrary to what some people say, Linux is not that easy to work with. Linux may be free, but good luck finding a cheap phone that runs on Linux.

Firstly, you have to be slightly nerdy to be able to use it. Not a criticism of it, but it does result in problems with compatibility with some other software. You're one of the handful of people out there who know how to work it (and all power to you). A number of people struggle with the basics.

Secondly, most phones and computers don't come with Linux on them but you have to install it and uninstall other OS and software. It's not that easy to do so. People get cheaper hardware with other things on them.

Yes, I do hate these constant updates. They're partly there to keep people in the loop and also to fix previous issues.

gkearney
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by gkearney »

And while Apple Macintosh is slightly more expensive to start with they have a very long lifespan. I have one the is 20 years old but is still perfectly capable for most common tasks.

Also Apple does not charge you for OS updates.

mudflap
captain of 1,000

Post by mudflap »

Niemand wrote: June 12th, 2024, 4:29 pm

?

Contrary to what some people say, Linux is not that easy to work with. Linux may be free, but good luck finding a cheap phone that runs on Linux.

Firstly, you have to be slightly nerdy to be able to use it. Not a criticism of it, but it does result in problems with compatibility with some other software. You're one of the handful of people out there who know how to work it (and all power to you). A number of people struggle with the basics.

Secondly, most phones and computers don't come with Linux on them but you have to install it and uninstall other OS and software. It's not that easy to do so. People get cheaper hardware with other things on them.

Yes, I do hate these constant updates. They're partly there to keep people in the loop and also to fix previous issues.
Oh. I thought we were talking "laptops" and "desktops". I DO have a linux-based phone, but it was $200. There are some better android flavors for phones (android itself is a cousin of Linux) - I was running Kali linux on my phone - but you're right: it is difficult and nerdy to set up.

As for the Linux OS's for computers - I can have you up and running on a few flavors of Linux in almost less time than it takes to boot windows. For real. I keep a few varieties on a thumb drive - you can test them out on a working windows machine without harming the window's OS - like a test drive. There's a few versions of linux that can run exclusively from a thumb drive - folks used to use them at the library to remain untracked - boot it up, surf the web, edit your documents, save everything and shutdown, remove the thumb drive and nobody knew you were there. Anymore, the library is going to use "thin clients" that where the USB ports are all locked down now, so that's probably not an option anymore.

Bottom line: it's stupid easy to use linux on a laptop, even if you never install it permanently. PM me, I'll send you a version on a thumb drive, free of charge.

Hiker
captain of 100

Post by Hiker »

Niemand wrote: June 12th, 2024, 4:29 pm

?

Linux is actually very easy to use. Perhaps the installing of Linux is probably the hardest part.

Yes it is true that the applications in Linux are not quite "really slick software" most to every application that you would need is available on Linux.

Much easier to update the software on Linux and having blue screen problems when something goes bad. I've had Linux computers running multiple years without any down time at all!
Last edited by Hiker on June 12th, 2024, 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.