Get out your checkbooks! More tithing needed…

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
Shawn Henry
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Get out your checkbooks! More tithing needed…

Post by Shawn Henry »

A lot of big money is fleeing California and what does the church do? They invest in California.

A monkey in charge could see how that's not a good idea.

Are they that oblivious to the direction the country and economy is heading?

Wouldn't the bad sentiment that is still lingering from their mall investment make them a little more careful about such purchases?

Wolfwoman
captain of 1,000

Post by Wolfwoman »

The beachfront properties in San Diego seem to hold their value, but I could be wrong.
An Airbnb on the beach was $10,000 for a week last year. Probably went up even more this year.

Wolfwoman
captain of 1,000

Post by Wolfwoman »

Atrasado wrote: May 24th, 2024, 10:36 am
ShockHouse wrote: May 24th, 2024, 10:29 am
Atrasado wrote: May 24th, 2024, 8:40 am Meanwhile, back at the ranch, the Church takes advantage of free labor from missionaries and takes grandparents away from their families for free.

Even my TBM son last night was disturbed by something. Apparently, the Church has electronic governors on missionaries' cars and if you go over the allotted amount of miles the governors will now shut the cars off. No more driving.

The Church buys the cars in bulk, and then sells them for a profit at 30,000 miles.

There's a direct positive correlation between miles driven and missionary work, but you can't wear out the merchandise, can you? It's clear to see what is prioritized nowadays, isn't it?
Having rules in place like that is needed when you are talking about 18-25 year olds. On my mission we'd have plenty of missionaries abuse mission cars, and go crazy on how much they drove. We were always given a pretty significant amount for the month and didn't have an issue unless we were being dumb.
I can see that. I'm in the Idaho Falls mission and in a lot of areas, if you don't drive a lot you aren't going to do much missionary work. Apparently the missionaries don't think the mileage is adequate, but the mission president does.

I know some missions have a lot of problems with rule breakers and young people going crazy, but I don't think all of them do. I served in the office on my mission for a third of my mission so I was very aware of the high jinks that happened, and they were pretty tame. I was one of the most rebellious missionaries in my mission and I wasn't a rebel at all. It really depends which mission you go to, I think.
Agreed. We were taught in the MTC to contact media referrals pretty much immediately. The teaching was that the person saw the commercial, felt the spirit and ordered the free video or whatever it was. And then we were supposed to contact them as soon as we got the referral while they still remembered feeling the spirit.

Well then I got to the actual mission field and it didn’t work that way. My first area covered multiple towns. We didn’t have enough miles alotted to us to drive 50 miles to the next town to hope to find someone home who ordered a video. We went to that town once a week because that’s what our mileage budget allowed.
Right around when my mission was ending, the mission president started implementing a “car fast” once a week where we would “fast” from using the car, in an attempt to not use up all the miles before the month was over. We were expected to get rides from members, walk or bike. Most members work during the day and can’t drive missionaries around. I don’t mind walking, and did a lot of it on the mission. But you’ll get much less missionary work done in a day walking than you will get done driving a car (depending on the area). I had a bike because I was told to get one before the mission, but I was always in car areas and I thought it was ridiculous to require women to wear skirts and dresses while riding a bike, so I never really rode a bike. Most of my companions didn’t even have bikes. I was grateful because I didn’t want to ride a bike in a skirt. (Now they allow the sisters to wear pants.)

Shawn Henry
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Shawn Henry »

Wolfwoman wrote: May 24th, 2024, 11:05 am The beachfront properties in San Diego seem to hold their value, but I could be wrong.
An Airbnb on the beach was $10,000 for a week last year. Probably went up even more this year.
In normal world where everything stays the same, you are right, but there are far too many dreams and visions of refugees fleeing California.

Property values drop when hordes of Chinese invade.

Fred
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fred »

California is an earthquake waiting to happen. Some predict ocean front property in Arizona. Every day that goes by there is an increase in homelessness, illegal aliens, drug use, and crime.

If a nuke was dropped on southern California, would any good people be affected?

Wolfwoman
captain of 1,000

Post by Wolfwoman »

Shawn Henry wrote: May 24th, 2024, 11:26 am
Wolfwoman wrote: May 24th, 2024, 11:05 am The beachfront properties in San Diego seem to hold their value, but I could be wrong.
In normal world where everything stays the same, you are right, but there are far too many dreams and visions of refugees fleeing California.

Very speculative. We’ll see…

Atrasado
captain of 1,000

Post by Atrasado »

Shawn Henry wrote: May 24th, 2024, 11:26 am

My brother and sister in laws' stake president told them about 12 years ago that they needed to be prepared to walk from Orange County to Utah, that such would happen. I'm not sure if he has been reading a lot of Thom Harrison before that happened...

Nonetheless, there will be disasters of biblical proportions happening everywhere and California is part of everywhere.

CuriousThinker
captain of 1,000

Post by CuriousThinker »

Fred wrote: May 24th, 2024, 11:30 am California is an earthquake waiting to happen. Some predict ocean front property in Arizona. Every day that goes by there is an increase in homelessness, illegal aliens, drug use, and crime.

If a nuke was dropped on southern California, would any good people be affected?
Absolutely! I know some of the most Christlike people in SoCal, including family.

RosyPosy
captain of 100

Post by RosyPosy »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: May 24th, 2024, 10:37 am
cyclOps wrote: May 24th, 2024, 9:55 am
Reluctant Watchman wrote: May 24th, 2024, 9:50 am
If you ride white horses you might be..... ;)
Ahh, I see, you don’t want a genuine, forthright conversation. You’d rather make off-target quips.

I’ll excuse myself from the room so as to not dampen your echo.
What do you define as Babylon? Maybe that's where the conversation should start.

FWIW, I grew up in a typical American/LDS home and I can see how I was comfortably wrapped in the arms of Babylon.
maybe that question deserves is own thread.

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

Atrasado wrote: May 24th, 2024, 8:40 am Meanwhile, back at the ranch, the Church takes advantage of free labor from missionaries and takes grandparents away from their families for free.

Even my TBM son last night was disturbed by something. Apparently, the Church has electronic governors on missionaries' cars and if you go over the allotted amount of miles the governors will now shut the cars off. No more driving.

The Church buys the cars in bulk, and then sells them for a profit at 30,000 miles.

There's a direct positive correlation between miles driven and missionary work, but you can't wear out the merchandise, can you? It's clear to see what is prioritized nowadays, isn't it?
It isn't possible to sell cars with 30k miles on them for a profit over the new price.
Making sure they don't go over 30k miles will simply minimise the depreciation.

Atrasado
captain of 1,000

Post by Atrasado »

Robin Hood wrote: May 24th, 2024, 8:49 pm

It isn't possible to sell cars with 30k miles on them for a profit over the new price.
Maybe. I was told that the fleet pricing was very aggressive but I haven't seen the books.

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

Atrasado wrote: May 24th, 2024, 9:04 pm

Maybe. I was told that the fleet pricing was very aggressive but I haven't seen the books.
The losses the Church minimises will be more than offset by the damage to the cars. I've never seen a mission car that hasn't been in an accident of some kind. Young missionaries are the worst drivers.

Peeps2.0
captain of 100

Post by Peeps2.0 »

Atrasado wrote: May 24th, 2024, 10:24 am
Follow_God_Not_Man wrote: May 24th, 2024, 10:07 am They probably bought it to let the poor live there.
Wow. That's dryest piece of sarcasm I've seen in a while. Nice.
Yep, almost made my Diet Coke go out my nose when I read it😂!

Atrasado
captain of 1,000

Post by Atrasado »

Robin Hood wrote: May 24th, 2024, 9:09 pm
Atrasado wrote: May 24th, 2024, 9:04 pm

The losses the Church minimises will be more than offset by the damage to the cars. I've never seen a mission car that hasn't been in an accident of some kind. Young missionaries are the worst drivers.
The electronic governors that they have on missionary cars monitor how the car is driven, like insurance monitors that a lot of people have, but on steroids. If a missionary is speeding, accelerates too quickly, doesn't wear their seat belt, or turns too sharply, they get a black mark. Two black marks and you don't drive anymore. Period. You get to serve the rest of your mission in walking or biking areas, from what I understand.

There's a senior missionary that goes to every zone conference and tunes up the cars and changes the oil. If he sees a mess in your car or a dent or a scratch you might lose your car.

Nowadays they make one of the missionaries get out of the car and guide the other while they are backing up. Seriously.

I think a lot has changed since some of us served missions. I'm pretty sure that those cars, on average, are pristine when they are sold. Like I said, don't damage the merchandise.
Last edited by Atrasado on May 25th, 2024, 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HereWeGo
captain of 1,000

Post by HereWeGo »

Our children have been buying new cars and trucks for the last 5+ years. They are able to sell them used for more than they bought them for most of the time. Close, anyway. They use them for less than 50,000 miles. This is in the Salt Lake area where inflation on everything has not slowed down.

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

HereWeGo wrote: May 25th, 2024, 11:55 am
Our children have been buying new cars and trucks for the last 5+ years. They are able to sell them used for more than they bought them for most of the time. Close, anyway. They use them for less than 50,000 miles. This is in the Salt Lake area where inflation on everything has not slowed down.
I don't believe this. It's common knowledge that the moment you drive a new car off the dealerships premises, it loses 10%-15% or more, of its value.
Why would anybody buy a used car for more than a new one?

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Reluctant Watchman »

Robin Hood wrote: May 25th, 2024, 5:14 pm
I don't believe this. It's common knowledge that the moment you drive a new car off the dealerships premises, it loses 10%-15% or more, of its value.
I bought a used truck 5 years ago and the value has gone up about 35-40%.

HereWeGo
captain of 1,000

Post by HereWeGo »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: May 25th, 2024, 6:22 pm

Robin is in the UK. It is highly possible that vehicles aren't appreciating over there. It shocks me each time my kids tell me they sold one of their vehicles for as much or more than they paid for them.

Peeps2.0
captain of 100

Post by Peeps2.0 »

Fred wrote: May 24th, 2024, 11:30 am California is an earthquake waiting to happen. Some predict ocean front property in Arizona. Every day that goes by there is an increase in homelessness, illegal aliens, drug use, and crime.

My brother lives in Jamul, just outside of San Diego. So I hope there will continue to be enough righteous people for God to renew His mercies daily, as He did for Zoar, the one city God did not destroy because of Lot wanting to flee into it (Gen 19:20-23).

"It is of the LORD's mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. They are new every morning: great is thy faithfulness." --Lamentations 3:22-23

JuneBug12000
captain of 1,000

Post by JuneBug12000 »

Weird stuff has been going on in the car market here in the USA for at least a few years.

My son bought a used car for $2000 about 3 years ago. He sold it a year later before leaving on his mission for $5000. He came back early one year later and couldn't by the same year/make/model car back for what he sold it.

Some people even had car dealers they had bought new trucks from call them and ask them to sell the truck back to the dealership for more than they paid, just so the dealer could have used inventory and sell it at a higher profit used.

So the church selling 30,000 mile used cars at a profit seems plausible.

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: May 25th, 2024, 6:22 pm

Yes, but it will still be worth less than a new one.

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

JuneBug12000 wrote: May 25th, 2024, 10:39 pm

Weird stuff has been going on in the car market here in the USA for at least a few years.

My son bought a used car for $2000 about 3 years ago. He sold it a year later before leaving on his mission for $5000. He came back early one year later and couldn't by the same year/make/model car back for what he sold it.

Some people even had car dealers they had bought new trucks from call them and ask them to sell the truck back to the dealership for more than they paid, just so the dealer could have used inventory and sell it at a higher profit used.

Not if they have to replace them.
Besides, it's not profit when inflation is factored in.

On a general point, anyone who genuinely believes their used car is worth more than the cost of it's new version, or believes they have made a genuine profit based on unrealised current value, should never be given a credit card.
Classic cars aside, a car is and always has been a depreciating asset.

Mindfields
captain of 1,000

Post by Mindfields »

Wolfwoman wrote: May 24th, 2024, 11:21 am
Atrasado wrote: May 24th, 2024, 10:36 am
ShockHouse wrote: May 24th, 2024, 10:29 am

Having rules in place like that is needed when you are talking about 18-25 year olds. On my mission we'd have plenty of missionaries abuse mission cars, and go crazy on how much they drove. We were always given a pretty significant amount for the month and didn't have an issue unless we were being dumb.
I can see that. I'm in the Idaho Falls mission and in a lot of areas, if you don't drive a lot you aren't going to do much missionary work. Apparently the missionaries don't think the mileage is adequate, but the mission president does.

I know some missions have a lot of problems with rule breakers and young people going crazy, but I don't think all of them do. I served in the office on my mission for a third of my mission so I was very aware of the high jinks that happened, and they were pretty tame. I was one of the most rebellious missionaries in my mission and I wasn't a rebel at all. It really depends which mission you go to, I think.
Agreed. We were taught in the MTC to contact media referrals pretty much immediately. The teaching was that the person saw the commercial, felt the spirit and ordered the free video or whatever it was. And then we were supposed to contact them as soon as we got the referral while they still remembered feeling the spirit.

Well then I got to the actual mission field and it didn’t work that way. My first area covered multiple towns. We didn’t have enough miles alotted to us to drive 50 miles to the next town to hope to find someone home who ordered a video. We went to that town once a week because that’s what our mileage budget allowed.
Right around when my mission was ending, the mission president started implementing a “car fast” once a week where we would “fast” from using the car, in an attempt to not use up all the miles before the month was over. We were expected to get rides from members, walk or bike. Most members work during the day and can’t drive missionaries around. I don’t mind walking, and did a lot of it on the mission. But you’ll get much less missionary work done in a day walking than you will get done driving a car (depending on the area). I had a bike because I was told to get one before the mission, but I was always in car areas and I thought it was ridiculous to require women to wear skirts and dresses while riding a bike, so I never really rode a bike. Most of my companions didn’t even have bikes. I was grateful because I didn’t want to ride a bike in a skirt. (Now they allow the sisters to wear pants.)
Only in Mormonism would increasing/maintaining retail value be more important than visiting interested candidates. Car fast what nonsense.

Well as the church has been saying for many years. Follow the Profit.

JuneBug12000
captain of 1,000

Post by JuneBug12000 »

Robin Hood wrote: May 26th, 2024, 3:58 am

On a general point, anyone who genuinely believes their used car is worth more than the cost of it's new version, or believes they have made a genuine profit based on unrealised current value, should never be given a credit card.
I understand what your saying should be true, and has been in the past. But some of the problems came from automakers making cars missing one or two parts that are backordered, almost to completion, and then storing them. It meant that there were less new cars, so the used car market went crazy. The the correction was/is still slow. I know why to shouldn't be true, and this isn't, at its core, about inflation. It is about supply and demand, missing parts, and desperate people.

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

JuneBug12000 wrote: May 26th, 2024, 5:52 pm
Robin Hood wrote: May 26th, 2024, 3:58 am

I understand what your saying should be true, and has been in the past. But some of the problems came from automakers making cars missing one or two parts that are backordered, almost to completion, and then storing them. It meant that there were less new cars, so the used car market went crazy. The the correction was/is still slow. I know why to shouldn't be true, and this isn't, at its core, about inflation. It is about supply and demand, missing parts, and desperate people.
I'm aware of that. However, when those new cars came on to the market, they cost more than its used version.
The claim was that used cars are more expensive than new ones. It just isn't true.

If the church bought a job lot of new cars, sold them after 30k miles, it is possible, because of used car inflation, that they get their money back or even make a small profit... but only because the cost of new ones has risen too. When they go to buy new replacements for the ones they sold, they will cost a lot more than the money they received for the sale.