The Reluctant Watchman YouTube Channel

Discuss liberty related books, videos, audio, as well as downloadable resources.
Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: The Reluctant Watchman YouTube Channel

Post by Reluctant Watchman »

Original_Intent wrote: April 5th, 2024, 2:26 pm Don't you mean the crazy days of pollo loco? :D
:D :D :D

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Hey, my first of four videos on Polygamy was uploaded as well. Bonus day! :)

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Here's Part 2 of my essay on Polygamy. Part 3 is uploading now...

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Part 3 of my Polygamy series. Emma was an amazing woman and understood the lies and corruption going on among these wicked men.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

And here is the final video (Part 4) of that series. If you think polygamy began with the Smith brothers, then you’ll need to believe they were the worst of hypocrites. Or we can take them at their word and deal with the ramifications of what that means for the church today:

Juliet
captain of 1,000

Post by Juliet »

Awesome!

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

In this episode, I talk about an experience I had with another member and how we approached the discrepancies in the church narrative in very different ways. I also discuss how the teaching that a church must be all True or all False tends to push people away from God.

It's kind of ironic that the LDS faith teaches that you should not "pick and choose" the truth claims of the church, and the Savior teaches that you'll be "cursed" if you don't pick and choose w/ the guidance of the Holy Ghost.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Episode #20:

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

New episode that explores which segments of society often define the narrative:

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

I was doing a bit of study this morning and found the following quote to be quite applicable to my last video. In that video I dive into the events of 3 Nephi 6. One of the great downfalls of the Nephites was in allowing Judges and lawyers to gain power and control over the people. I’ve found the culture noted in this quote from the Nemenhah Record to be in stark contrast to the Nephites:
11) And only three times in the memory of the Nemenhah, did the Gadianton attempt to organize bands among us. As often as this occurred, the Nemenhah rooted them out through the diligent teaching of the word of the Peacemaker.

12) And our system of government was of a kind that made it exceedingly difficult for an unrighteous judge to take any seat of authority. Yea, we had no need for lawyers and lesser judges because of the nature of our system of government.

13) Wherefore, this made it all the more difficult for the Gadianton, for they were want to gain power through the judges.

14) Now this is the manner of our government – each village is ruled by a council of men and women nominated by the mothers and chosen by the people. Therefore, every woman who had a child had a vote, and because not all women bear, every woman who had reached the age of agency, that being sixteen years of age, also had a vote.

15) The council so elected, meets to resolve the concerns that have to do with the village.
These people were governed by the Law of Common Consent, a law that empowers the people and thwarts tyrannical structures. It’s unfortunate that this was replace by the “sustaining vote” in LDS culture.

Cruiserdude
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Cruiserdude »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: April 21st, 2024, 8:29 am I was doing a bit of study this morning and found the following quote to be quite applicable to my last video. In that video I dive into the events of 3 Nephi 6. One of the great downfalls of the Nephites was in allowing Judges and lawyers to gain power and control over the people. I’ve found the culture noted in this quote from the Nemenhah Record to be in stark contrast to the Nephites:
11) And only three times in the memory of the Nemenhah, did the Gadianton attempt to organize bands among us. As often as this occurred, the Nemenhah rooted them out through the diligent teaching of the word of the Peacemaker.

12) And our system of government was of a kind that made it exceedingly difficult for an unrighteous judge to take any seat of authority. Yea, we had no need for lawyers and lesser judges because of the nature of our system of government.

13) Wherefore, this made it all the more difficult for the Gadianton, for they were want to gain power through the judges.

14) Now this is the manner of our government – each village is ruled by a council of men and women nominated by the mothers and chosen by the people. Therefore, every woman who had a child had a vote, and because not all women bear, every woman who had reached the age of agency, that being sixteen years of age, also had a vote.

15) The council so elected, meets to resolve the concerns that have to do with the village.
These people were governed by the Law of Common Consent, a law that empowers the people and thwarts tyrannical structures. It’s unfortunate that this was replace by the “sustaining vote” in LDS culture.
This is the answer to the gov problems, to all the problems. It really is. The only way we change people and society is through what was said in verse 11:
rooted them out through the diligent teaching of the word of the Peacemaker.
It's the only way. The individuals themselves have to choose to change for themselves when exposed to teachings of truth of Christ.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

I found great insight from the last few dreams that Joseph had before he and his brothers were assassinated. IMO the restoration was simply a precursor to a greater work that the Father will do amongst the House of Israel in the days ahead:

larsenb
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by larsenb »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: March 25th, 2024, 9:04 am
Telavian wrote: March 25th, 2024, 8:57 am Welcome to YouTube. For whatever reason some of your videos will likely do very well and some will hardly be viewed at all. The algorithm and people can be very fickle. I would just recommend that you put what you consider truth out there and others will be guided to it. Most people want a rehash of the current tabloid and don't want the meat of the Gospel. Others though are craving the meat and don't know how to find it.

Some people also constantly gripe about how others are not sharing their videos enough or watching enough. However, this is missing the point entirely. Truth is eternal and will always rise to the surface. God will guide people to whatever they need at the time.
Yeah, the YT algorithms are weird. I'll leave it in God's hands if people find them. If my kids or my family benefit, that's what I really care about.

I've also found that I find clarity and insights as I dive deeper into these topics and even when rereading my essays. Not that they are great or anything, simply that spending time pondering on principles is helpful as the Spirit continues to teach me.
Your influence will likely be minimal if you remain anonymous; and as a critic of the church (aside from your doctrinal essays) this stance come across as hit-and-run because of your anonymity. Valor, as a highly regarded virtue in earlier times, is not too prevalent now-a-days.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

larsenb wrote: April 25th, 2024, 5:32 pm Your influence will likely be minimal if you remain anonymous; and as a critic of the church (aside from your doctrinal essays) this stance come across as hit-and-run because of your anonymity. Valor, as a highly regarded virtue in earlier times, is not too prevalent now-a-days.
Uh… I’m not anonymous. I’ve noted who I am on my blog and in some of my videos. Do I care that people know who I am? No, not at all. My name is Doug. Does any of that matter? No, not really. Do I want to put a bunch of personal info out on the internet? No, I’m not stupid.

Also, as I’ve noted in my videos, I’m doing these for my friends and family. If other people want to check them out, that’s fine. I’ve been surprised at the impact they’ve had among my family. Many of them hadn’t taken the time to read my essays, but they have listened to the videos, and they often agree with my positions or at least see the problems in the church.

larsenb
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by larsenb »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: April 25th, 2024, 5:36 pm
larsenb wrote: April 25th, 2024, 5:32 pm Your influence will likely be minimal if you remain anonymous; and as a critic of the church (aside from your doctrinal essays) this stance come across as hit-and-run because of your anonymity. Valor, as a highly regarded virtue in earlier times, is not too prevalent now-a-days.
Uh… I’m not anonymous. I’ve noted who I am on my blog and in some of my videos. Do I care that people know who I am? No, not at all. My name is Doug. Does any of that matter? No, not really. Do I want to put a bunch of personal info out on the internet? No, I’m not stupid.

Also, as I’ve noted in my videos, I’m doing these for my friends and family. If other people want to check them out, that’s fine. I’ve been surprised at the impact they’ve had among my family. Many of them hadn’t taken the time to read my essays, but they have listened to the videos, and they often agree with my positions or at least see the problems in the church.
Doug who?

So how may among your friends and family have you influenced to leave the church yet . . . . following your example?

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

larsenb wrote: April 25th, 2024, 5:47 pm Doug who?

So how may among your friends and family have you influenced to leave the church yet . . . . following your example?
You really don’t do much research, do you? Google is your friend. (not really)

My only desire is that people follow Christ and His doctrine as contained in the scriptures, as taught in the early Restoration, and as inspired by the Holy Ghost. (And I make a concerted effort to share the Nemenhah Records. They are pretty awesome as well.)

Whether family and friends choose to leave or stay in the church is their decision. Do I have friends who have left? Yes, I know a lot of friends who have left. Do I have family who have left? Not officially, but boy howdy have they learned a lot about the corrupt nature of the corporate church and the deviations in doctrine and the scriptures. The phrase “those son’s of b*tches down in SLC” may have been said in conversation. Would I be surprised if some of them left in the coming years? No, not at all.

larsenb
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by larsenb »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: April 25th, 2024, 5:53 pm

My only desire is that people follow Christ and His doctrine as contained in the scriptures, as taught in the early Restoration, and as inspired by the Holy Ghost. Whether they choose to leave or stay in the church is their decision. Do I have friends who have left? Yes, I know a lot of friends who have left. Do I have family who have left? Not officially, but boy howdy have they learned a lot about the corrupt nature of the corporate church and the deviations in doctrine and the scriptures. The phrase “those son’s of b*tches down in SLC” may have been said from one family member. Would I be surprised if some of them left in the coming years? No, not at all.
I'm greatly disturbed by various things regarding the Church. It was disturbing to learn that Heber J. Grant wsy back when, begged the Fed to establish a branch in SLC, and that Utah citizens would be glad to jump through their hoops, as just one example..

My strong sense, however, is that its a mixed bag currently. There really is a danger of brushing everything with a negative stroke if you've bought into a wholly negative model. My guess is that you may be surprised down the pike to realize the degree you may have done this.

I'm personally very glad to see members confront the problems of their lives and families with faith, and to even be blessed personally by their actions. I normally don't have any desire to go out of my way to disturb this kind of heart-felt faith and action, and keep my objections or concerns to myself, unless questioned . . . ..though we were quite outspoken regarding the COVID shot, with my wife taking her concerns to next to the top.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

larsenb wrote: April 25th, 2024, 6:22 pm

My only desire is that people follow Christ and His doctrine as contained in the scriptures, as taught in the early Restoration, and as inspired by the Holy Ghost. Whether they choose to leave or stay in the church is their decision. Do I have friends who have left? Yes, I know a lot of friends who have left. Do I have family who have left? Not officially, but boy howdy have they learned a lot about the corrupt nature of the corporate church and the deviations in doctrine and the scriptures. The phrase “those son’s of b*tches down in SLC” may have been said from one family member. Would I be surprised if some of them left in the coming years? No, not at all.
I'm greatly disturbed by various things regarding the Church. It was disturbing to learn that Heber J. Grant wsy back when, begged the Fed to establish a branch in SLC, and that Utah citizens would be glad to jump through their hoops, as just one example..

My strong sense, however, is that its a mixed bag currently. There really is a danger of brushing everything with a negative stroke if you've bought into a wholly negative model. My guess is that you may be surprised down the pike to realize the degree you may have done this.

I'm personally very glad to see members confront the problems of their lives and families with faith, and to even be blessed personally by their actions. I normally don't have any desire to go out of my way to disturb this kind of heart-felt faith and action, and keep my objections or concerns to myself, unless questioned . . . ..though we were quite outspoken regarding the COVID shot, with my wife taking her concerns to next to the top.
You see it as brushing with a “negative stroke.” What you often don’t see, or apparently ignore, is how every essay and video presents doctrinal support for what I believe to be correct doctrines, teachings, or beliefs. Also, this first set of essays is just the beginning of my journey. I had to dig out from underneath all of the false beliefs and traditions for years. I have probably 150 ideas/topics slated for additional essays, some have correlation to the church, many don’t.

I have a strong desire to share what I’m learning because I believe the LDS church is both physically and spiritually abusive. It is my spiritual disposition to stand up to tyranny. Will I force anyone to believe my way? Heck no. But I’ll do my best to share with conviction what I believe to be true.

larsenb
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by larsenb »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: April 25th, 2024, 6:29 pm
larsenb wrote: April 25th, 2024, 6:22 pm

You see it as brushing with a “negative stroke.” What you often don’t see, or apparently ignore, is how every essay and video presents doctrinal support for what I believe to be correct doctrines, teachings, or beliefs. Also, this first set of essays is just the beginning of my journey. I had to dig out from underneath all of the false beliefs and traditions for years. I have probably 150 ideas/topics slated for additional essays, some have correlation to the church, many don’t.

I have a strong desire to share what I’m learning because I believe the LDS church is both physically and spiritually abusive. It is my spiritual disposition to stand up to tyranny. Will I force anyone to believe my way? Heck no. But I’ll do my best to share with conviction what I believe to be true.
It's good to act on strong convictions. I wonder when you will uncloak.

Your "I believe the LDS church is both physically and spiritually abusive" is too broad a brush for my taste.

Individuals are the abusers and need to be stood up to and shown an alternative way of acting and thinking. Leaving the fold isn't going to do that . . . though, if enough people start seeing things your way, the membership bleed-off may start things rolling in a better direction, with any sincere leaders left willing to get on their knees asking for guidance and direction in how to correct the problems.

I'm quite interested in how the Lord will deal with these issues involving the church He established.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

larsenb wrote: April 25th, 2024, 8:51 pm It's good to act on strong convictions. I wonder when you will uncloak.

Your "I believe the LDS church is both physically and spiritually abusive" is too broad a brush for my taste.

Individuals are the abusers and need to be stood up to and shown an alternative way of acting and thinking. Leaving the fold isn't going to do that . . . though, if enough people start seeing things your way, the membership bleed-off may start things rolling in a better direction, with any sincere leaders left willing to get on their knees asking for guidance and direction in how to correct the problems.

I'm quite interested in how the Lord will deal with these issues involving the church He established.
"Uncloak"...? still haven't figured out Google, huh?

The false and vain doctrines and traditions are the readily apparent abuses by the church. (broad brush strokes) There are far more sinister and dark topics relating to leadership.

And yes, leaving is exactly what Jesus taught. "Pluck them out." or "cut them off." LDS culture has created a system where the top brass cannot be contradicted or kicked out, so my only recourse is to remove myself from the corrupt organization. And sure, some might feel the need to work within the system, that's not me. I'd be exxed for apostasy on my first Sunday in the pews.

IMO Jesus has already said how he would "deal with these issues involving the church." He'll allow the gentiles to languish in their sin and take the fullness of the gospel to the House of Isreal. I'm working on the video notes right now addressing that very topic.

larsenb
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by larsenb »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: April 25th, 2024, 9:01 pm
larsenb wrote: April 25th, 2024, 8:51 pm It's good to act on strong convictions. I wonder when you will uncloak.

"Uncloak"...? still haven't figured out Google, huh?

The false and vain doctrines and traditions are the readily apparent abuses by the church. (broad brush strokes) There are far more sinister and dark topics relating to leadership.

And yes, leaving is exactly what Jesus taught. "Pluck them out." or "cut them off." LDS culture has created a system where the top brass cannot be contradicted or kicked out, so my only recourse is to remove myself from the corrupt organization. And sure, some might feel the need to work within the system, that's not me. I'd be exxed for apostasy on my first Sunday in the pews.

IMO Jesus has already said how he would "deal with these issues involving the church." He'll allow the gentiles to languish in their sin and take the fullness of the gospel to the House of Isreal. I'm working on the video notes right now addressing that very topic.
""Uncloak"...? still haven't figured out Google, huh? " Nice comment. Designed, I suppose to make you an attractive exemplar or what you say and what you claim for yourself.

Faithful members trying to do the best they know how to do in the context of their faith and the gospel of Christ aren't languishing in sin. They may be gulled or fooled to the degree they allow certain things to happen, but that isn't really in the category of sin that I'm aware of.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

larsenb wrote: April 26th, 2024, 1:47 pm ""Uncloak"...? still haven't figured out Google, huh? " Nice comment. Designed, I suppose to make you an attractive exemplar or what you say and what you claim for yourself.
It's surprising what you can deduce about certain things (or people) based on what a person is willing, or unwilling, to do.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

larsenb wrote: April 26th, 2024, 1:47 pm Faithful members trying to do the best they know how to do in the context of their faith and the gospel of Christ aren't languishing in sin. They may be gulled or fooled to the degree they allow certain things to happen, but that isn't really in the category of sin that I'm aware of.
And what if there was a better way? What if the doctrine was changed? What if they had been deceived? Wouldn't you want to know? The church actively teaches that there is NO OTHER WAY. They are THE WAY.

In the end, I believe the Lord will be merciful, but that also doesn't mean he'll always bless them if their beliefs or practices are in error. Only the Lord can judge, but also don't be so quick to judge those who are striving to preach what they consider to be more correct beliefs or practices. The greatest of those is coming to know the Lord and be taught by Him personally.

larsenb
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by larsenb »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: April 26th, 2024, 1:52 pm
larsenb wrote: April 26th, 2024, 1:47 pm ""Uncloak"...? still haven't figured out Google, huh? " Nice comment. Designed, I suppose to make you an attractive exemplar or what you say and what you claim for yourself.
It's surprising what you can deduce about certain things (or people) based on what a person is willing, or unwilling, to do.
Not really deduction. It's called inference.

My stance is to give people the benefit of the doubt and not question their motives until they give ample evidence for any suspicions I might have.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

larsenb wrote: April 27th, 2024, 12:48 pm My stance is to give people the benefit of the doubt and not question their motives until they give ample evidence for any suspicions I might have.
Ample evidence has been given, IMO. We have generations of abuses and abominations.