The Reluctant Watchman YouTube Channel

Discuss liberty related books, videos, audio, as well as downloadable resources.
User avatar
Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated
Posts: 15689
Location: “if thine eye offend thee, pluck him out.”
Contact:

The Reluctant Watchman YouTube Channel

Post by Reluctant Watchman »

For anyone interested, I created a YT channel where I post audio/video versions of my essays as well as future videos on a diverse set of topics. I'm doing this partly because some people don't have the time to sit down and read an essay, but they do have time to listen to the audio.

The first set of videos will be readings of the essays with some commentary mixed in. Once I get through those (there are 28 essays to date) I'll move on to more current topics, including various physical preparation topics. So far there are four episodes up with a fifth being exported as I write this.

In the end, these videos are for my family and friends and are intended to share, in small part, the journey I've been on and to bring people closer to God.

The main YT channel can be found here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChjEQU ... lH4Zh_MwFA

I also added a page to my website listing all essays in chronological order: https://www.reluctantwatchman.com/all-essays

Here's the intro video I to the channel:
If you want to follow this video series, it is helpful to hit the subscribe or notification buttons on YT.

User avatar
Telavian
captain of 1,000
Posts: 1831
Contact:

Re: The Reluctant Watchman YouTube Channel

Post by Telavian »

Welcome to YouTube. For whatever reason some of your videos will likely do very well and some will hardly be viewed at all. The algorithm and people can be very fickle. I would just recommend that you put what you consider truth out there and others will be guided to it. Most people want a rehash of the current tabloid and don't want the meat of the Gospel. Others though are craving the meat and don't know how to find it.

Some people also constantly gripe about how others are not sharing their videos enough or watching enough. However, this is missing the point entirely. Truth is eternal and will always rise to the surface. God will guide people to whatever they need at the time.

User avatar
Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated
Posts: 15689
Location: “if thine eye offend thee, pluck him out.”
Contact:

Re: The Reluctant Watchman YouTube Channel

Post by Reluctant Watchman »

Telavian wrote: March 25th, 2024, 8:57 am Welcome to YouTube. For whatever reason some of your videos will likely do very well and some will hardly be viewed at all. The algorithm and people can be very fickle. I would just recommend that you put what you consider truth out there and others will be guided to it. Most people want a rehash of the current tabloid and don't want the meat of the Gospel. Others though are craving the meat and don't know how to find it.

Some people also constantly gripe about how others are not sharing their videos enough or watching enough. However, this is missing the point entirely. Truth is eternal and will always rise to the surface. God will guide people to whatever they need at the time.
Yeah, the YT algorithms are weird. I'll leave it in God's hands if people find them. If my kids or my family benefit, that's what I really care about.

I've also found that I find clarity and insights as I dive deeper into these topics and even when rereading my essays. Not that they are great or anything, simply that spending time pondering on principles is helpful as the Spirit continues to teach me.

User avatar
Telavian
captain of 1,000
Posts: 1831
Contact:

Re: The Reluctant Watchman YouTube Channel

Post by Telavian »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: March 25th, 2024, 9:04 am
Telavian wrote: March 25th, 2024, 8:57 am Welcome to YouTube. For whatever reason some of your videos will likely do very well and some will hardly be viewed at all. The algorithm and people can be very fickle. I would just recommend that you put what you consider truth out there and others will be guided to it. Most people want a rehash of the current tabloid and don't want the meat of the Gospel. Others though are craving the meat and don't know how to find it.

Some people also constantly gripe about how others are not sharing their videos enough or watching enough. However, this is missing the point entirely. Truth is eternal and will always rise to the surface. God will guide people to whatever they need at the time.
Yeah, the YT algorithms are weird. I'll leave it in God's hands if people find them. If my kids or my family benefit, that's what I really care about.

I've also found that I find clarity and insights as I dive deeper into these topics and even when rereading my essays. Not that they are great or anything, simply that spending time pondering on principles is helpful as the Spirit continues to teach me.
Yes, I don't claim any great insights or to be a prophet or anything. However I have seen that I personally benefit greatly during the actually writing of an article. I learn the material much more deeply than I would by just reading a book or similar.

Unfortunately people don't read anymore so I do videos of the articles so that people can listen to them if they feel so inclined. This seems to benefit some people. This of course is not a hard rule, however it certainly seems that the more popular a channel is then the less relevant things they have to actually say. Truth is rarely very popular.

User avatar
Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated
Posts: 15689
Location: “if thine eye offend thee, pluck him out.”
Contact:

Re: The Reluctant Watchman YouTube Channel

Post by Reluctant Watchman »

Episode #5: Infallibility Timeline, is now live.

It was interesting to read some of these church quotes and see how they contradict the doctrines found both in scripture as well as in the early teachings of the church:

User avatar
Revlaw
captain of 50
Posts: 51

Re: The Reluctant Watchman YouTube Channel

Post by Revlaw »

I'm excited to check out your videos. Thanks for your work!

User avatar
Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated
Posts: 15689
Location: “if thine eye offend thee, pluck him out.”
Contact:

Re: The Reluctant Watchman YouTube Channel

Post by Reluctant Watchman »

Episode #6:

User avatar
Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated
Posts: 15689
Location: “if thine eye offend thee, pluck him out.”
Contact:

Re: The Reluctant Watchman YouTube Channel

Post by Reluctant Watchman »

Episode #7

Fight for the right
captain of 100
Posts: 212

Re: The Reluctant Watchman YouTube Channel

Post by Fight for the right »

Get a job watchman, you've got to much time on your hands.

User avatar
Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated
Posts: 15689
Location: “if thine eye offend thee, pluck him out.”
Contact:

Re: The Reluctant Watchman YouTube Channel

Post by Reluctant Watchman »

Fight for the right wrote: March 26th, 2024, 3:56 pm Get a job watchman, you've got to much time on your hands.
Haha... glad to see you around these parts FFTR. Now that I'm not a member I have gobs of time... I had to put that energy somewhere. ;)

Godspeed brother.

User avatar
RosyPosy
captain of 100
Posts: 432
Location: hiding from the ATF

Re: The Reluctant Watchman YouTube Channel

Post by RosyPosy »

While you're at it could you post it on Rumble or Odessie for those of us fed up with YT's bull$#!^?

User avatar
Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated
Posts: 15689
Location: “if thine eye offend thee, pluck him out.”
Contact:

Re: The Reluctant Watchman YouTube Channel

Post by Reluctant Watchman »

RosyPosy wrote: March 26th, 2024, 5:57 pm While you're at it could you post it on Rumble or Odessie for those of us fed up with YT's bull$#!^?
YT is pretty bad. I'll take a look at other platforms.

NowWhat
captain of 100
Posts: 218

Re: The Reluctant Watchman YouTube Channel

Post by NowWhat »

Subscribed, looking forward to checking out your channel.

User avatar
Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated
Posts: 15689
Location: “if thine eye offend thee, pluck him out.”
Contact:

Re: The Reluctant Watchman YouTube Channel

Post by Reluctant Watchman »

Episode #8. This was a fun one to record.

User avatar
marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ
Posts: 10427
Contact:

Re: The Reluctant Watchman YouTube Channel

Post by marc »

Cool channel! I subscribed and looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

User avatar
Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated
Posts: 15689
Location: “if thine eye offend thee, pluck him out.”
Contact:

Re: The Reluctant Watchman YouTube Channel

Post by Reluctant Watchman »

Video #9 uploaded this morning. I’ve added quite a bit from the original essay as commentary:

User avatar
Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated
Posts: 15689
Location: “if thine eye offend thee, pluck him out.”
Contact:

Re: The Reluctant Watchman YouTube Channel

Post by Reluctant Watchman »

I segmented my essay entitled “Tithe the Poor” into three separate parts:

User avatar
Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated
Posts: 15689
Location: “if thine eye offend thee, pluck him out.”
Contact:

Re: The Reluctant Watchman YouTube Channel

Post by Reluctant Watchman »

I recorded the essay and gave some additional commentary on my essay about “Debridement”:

User avatar
Original_Intent
Level 34 Illuminated
Posts: 13076

Re: The Reluctant Watchman YouTube Channel

Post by Original_Intent »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: March 25th, 2024, 8:34 am For anyone interested, I created a YT channel where I post audio/video versions of my essays as well as future videos on a diverse set of topics. I'm doing this partly because some people don't have the time to sit down and read an essay, but they do have time to listen to the audio.

The first set of videos will be readings of the essays with some commentary mixed in. Once I get through those (there are 28 essays to date) I'll move on to more current topics, including various physical preparation topics. So far there are four episodes up with a fifth being exported as I write this.

In the end, these videos are for my family and friends and are intended to share, in small part, the journey I've been on and to bring people closer to God.

The main YT channel can be found here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChjEQU ... lH4Zh_MwFA

I also added a page to my website listing all essays in chronological order: https://www.reluctantwatchman.com/all-essays

Here's the intro video I to the channel:
If you want to follow this video series, it is helpful to hit the subscribe or notification buttons on YT.
Ten minutes into the intro and I feel a kindred spirit. Probably will binge watch your content today!

User avatar
Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated
Posts: 15689
Location: “if thine eye offend thee, pluck him out.”
Contact:

Re: The Reluctant Watchman YouTube Channel

Post by Reluctant Watchman »

Original_Intent wrote: April 3rd, 2024, 6:03 am Ten minutes into the intro and I feel a kindred spirit. Probably will binge watch your content today!
Does it feel odd to you at times to be speaking to a camera on your YT channel? It does for me. I often feel like I have to keep talking and need to remind myself to pause and think.

User avatar
Original_Intent
Level 34 Illuminated
Posts: 13076

Re: The Reluctant Watchman YouTube Channel

Post by Original_Intent »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: April 3rd, 2024, 9:37 am
Original_Intent wrote: April 3rd, 2024, 6:03 am Ten minutes into the intro and I feel a kindred spirit. Probably will binge watch your content today!
Does it feel odd to you at times to be speaking to a camera on your YT channel? It does for me. I often feel like I have to keep talking and need to remind myself to pause and think.
I don't speak to the camera or have not even shown my face.
I write out my thoughts of what I want to talk about - not an exact script, but close.
I record the audio.
I edit the audio, taking out all the "umm"s and so forth.
I import the audio into my video creator and immediately speed up the audio 1.25x or thereabouts.
I add images or slides.

I'll admit, watching your videos today I see the positives of just speaking face to face. I am just terrible at ad-libbing and feel like even reading a script to the camera it wouldn't come across well. But you do a great job, I have watched all of the videos linked in this thread today, now I need to go back and catch the ones I missed.

I really like your material, I can't think of a single thing you said that I am not in full agreement on.

User avatar
Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated
Posts: 15689
Location: “if thine eye offend thee, pluck him out.”
Contact:

Re: The Reluctant Watchman YouTube Channel

Post by Reluctant Watchman »

Original_Intent wrote: April 3rd, 2024, 10:36 am
Reluctant Watchman wrote: April 3rd, 2024, 9:37 am
Original_Intent wrote: April 3rd, 2024, 6:03 am Ten minutes into the intro and I feel a kindred spirit. Probably will binge watch your content today!
Does it feel odd to you at times to be speaking to a camera on your YT channel? It does for me. I often feel like I have to keep talking and need to remind myself to pause and think.
I don't speak to the camera or have not even shown my face.
I write out my thoughts of what I want to talk about - not an exact script, but close.
I record the audio.
I edit the audio, taking out all the "umm"s and so forth.
I import the audio into my video creator and immediately speed up the audio 1.25x or thereabouts.
I add images or slides.

I'll admit, watching your videos today I see the positives of just speaking face to face. I am just terrible at ad-libbing and feel like even reading a script to the camera it wouldn't come across well. But you do a great job, I have watched all of the videos linked in this thread today, now I need to go back and catch the ones I missed.

I really like your material, I can't think of a single thing you said that I am not in full agreement on.
Ah, that makes sense.

I've also thought about speeding up the audio 1.25x. For long podcasts, I usually listen 1.5X speed.

I'm excited to get through my written essays so I can speak more candidly on topics and then mix in more media like photos or text references. But it's also surprising how much time some of this takes to do. I do find the effort to be beneficial. I had brothers who didn't read my essays but were able to watch the videos.

FWIW, I use Davinci Resolve for editing, even though I pay for the entire Adobe Suite for my work. The interface seems pretty easy to get a handle on after a handful of videos and a few tutorials on YT.

Thanks for the feedback btw.

User avatar
cyclOps
captain of 1,000
Posts: 1395

Re: The Reluctant Watchman YouTube Channel

Post by cyclOps »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: April 3rd, 2024, 10:51 am
Original_Intent wrote: April 3rd, 2024, 10:36 am
Reluctant Watchman wrote: April 3rd, 2024, 9:37 am
Does it feel odd to you at times to be speaking to a camera on your YT channel? It does for me. I often feel like I have to keep talking and need to remind myself to pause and think.
I don't speak to the camera or have not even shown my face.
I write out my thoughts of what I want to talk about - not an exact script, but close.
I record the audio.
I edit the audio, taking out all the "umm"s and so forth.
I import the audio into my video creator and immediately speed up the audio 1.25x or thereabouts.
I add images or slides.

I'll admit, watching your videos today I see the positives of just speaking face to face. I am just terrible at ad-libbing and feel like even reading a script to the camera it wouldn't come across well. But you do a great job, I have watched all of the videos linked in this thread today, now I need to go back and catch the ones I missed.

I really like your material, I can't think of a single thing you said that I am not in full agreement on.
Ah, that makes sense.

I've also thought about speeding up the audio 1.25x. For long podcasts, I usually listen 1.5X speed.

I'm excited to get through my written essays so I can speak more candidly on topics and then mix in more media like photos or text references. But it's also surprising how much time some of this takes to do. I do find the effort to be beneficial. I had brothers who didn't read my essays but were able to watch the videos.

FWIW, I use Davinci Resolve for editing, even though I pay for the entire Adobe Suite for my work. The interface seems pretty easy to get a handle on after a handful of videos and a few tutorials on YT.

Thanks for the feedback btw.
I also use Davinci Resolve. It’s quick and easy once you learn the basics.

User avatar
Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated
Posts: 15689
Location: “if thine eye offend thee, pluck him out.”
Contact:

Re: The Reluctant Watchman YouTube Channel

Post by Reluctant Watchman »

Episode #14. This was written during the crazy days of Covid when people came out of the woodwork and were equating the shot with the brazen serpent.

User avatar
Original_Intent
Level 34 Illuminated
Posts: 13076

Re: The Reluctant Watchman YouTube Channel

Post by Original_Intent »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: April 5th, 2024, 1:38 pm Episode #14. This was written during the crazy days of Covid when people came out of the woodwork and were equating the shot with the brazen serpent.
Don't you mean the crazy days of pollo loco? :D

Post Reply