Random thoughts...

For non-mainstream, heterodoxical discussions. Request access to the Heretic Group here.
Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Random thoughts...

Post by Thinker »

So much pride!
Why?

“Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity.

Cruiserdude
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Cruiserdude »

Thinker wrote: March 3rd, 2024, 9:54 am
“Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity.
Now that is a good one. 👌

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

Another random thought about dogma in the church, especially in such a cultish church. And is the way I see Mormonism different than most people in the world see it?

Apparently others had related thoughts…

“As a nevermo I’m actually quite fond of Mormons. When I was taking the lessons the Mormons I met were all quite pleasant. Now I just think they are brainwashed, in a Stepford Wives kind of way. I do not see them as genuine, almost as if they are being remotely controlled.

You want to know what nevermos think of Mormons...Here's the secret, they don't think about Mormons at all. Only .21% of the World's population are members and only about 30% of that miniscule number is even active. So...billions of people live and die knowing and caring ZERO about Mormons

I do think that Mormons are respectable in some regards. Other posters have compared the church to a country club and what type of people are in a country club? Upper middle class types and those types of people are usually respectable. Someone may look at their Mormon neighbor and think that he's dorky, gullible and spends way too much time at church but he has an MBA/JD/MD, earns a great salary, drives a Mercedes, lives in a big house and goes on fancy vacations. Money and status can offset weirdness to a degree.

^ (Reply): But what about all the stories of Mormons cheating other members financially and all the affinity fraud, including MLMs? Those are part of Mormon culture, too, at least in high-density areas.

I’m nevermo, but I grew up in a very evangelical Mennonite part of the country. The word “Mormon” was akin to a swear word, as the people here found Mormonism so offensive. The belief was the Book of Mormon was blasphemy and Mormonism was an offence to God. There was a fear of Mormonism instilled. Which is ironic, because Mennonites and Mormons are more similar than they are different, two sides of the same coin. Hence why lots of secular people here got Mormons and Mennonites mixed up all the time lol.

I find most cult members are “nice”, but it’s inauthentic and disingenuous. Talking to very indoctrinated Mormon or Mennonite woman is like talking to a Barbie doll. It’s icky. I guess that’s why Mormon women use so much tranquilizers. They don’t have a voice, so no wonder they’re depressed.”

I imagine many see Mormons as nice, service-oriented people, even if a bit brainwashed.

Original_Intent
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Original_Intent »

Thinker wrote: April 1st, 2024, 1:18 pm Another random thought about dogma in the church, especially in such a cultish church. And is the way I see Mormonism different than most people in the world see it?

“As a nevermo I’m actually quite fond of Mormons. When I was taking the lessons the Mormons I met were all quite pleasant. Now I just think they are brainwashed, in a Stepford Wives kind of way. I do not see them as genuine, almost as if they are being remotely controlled.

You want to know what nevermos think of Mormons...Here's the secret, they don't think about Mormons at all. Only .21% of the World's population are members and only about 30% of that miniscule number is even active. So...billions of people live and die knowing and caring ZERO about Mormons

I do think that Mormons are respectable in some regards. Other posters have compared the church to a country club and what type of people are in a country club? Upper middle class types and those types of people are usually respectable. Someone may look at their Mormon neighbor and think that he's dorky, gullible and spends way too much time at church but he has an MBA/JD/MD, earns a great salary, drives a Mercedes, lives in a big house and goes on fancy vacations. Money and status can offset weirdness to a degree.

^ (Reply): But what about all the stories of Mormons cheating other members financially and all the affinity fraud, including MLMs? Those are part of Mormon culture, too, at least in high-density areas.

I’m nevermo, but I grew up in a very evangelical Mennonite part of the country. The word “Mormon” was akin to a swear word, as the people here found Mormonism so offensive. The belief was the Book of Mormon was blasphemy and Mormonism was an offence to God. There was a fear of Mormonism instilled. Which is ironic, because Mennonites and Mormons are more similar than they are different, two sides of the same coin. Hence why lots of secular people here got Mormons and Mennonites mixed up all the time lol.

I find most cult members are “nice”, but it’s inauthentic and disingenuous. Talking to very indoctrinated Mormon or Mennonite woman is like talking to a Barbie doll. It’s icky. I guess that’s why Mormon women use so much tranquilizers. They don’t have a voice, so no wonder they’re depressed.”

I imagine many see Mormons as nice, service-oriented people, even if a bit brainwashed.
Dogma is the yang - nothing wrong with it, but LDS need a little less "A bible! A bible!" and a little more asking, seeking, knocking imnsho.

InfoWarrior82
Level 34 Illuminated
Location: "There are 15 on the earth today, you can trust them completely." -President Nelson (Jan 2022)

Post by InfoWarrior82 »

Original_Intent wrote: April 1st, 2024, 2:44 pm

Dogma is the yang
And Catma is the yin

Original_Intent
Level 34 Illuminated

InfoWarrior82 wrote: April 1st, 2024, 5:22 pm

Dogma is the yang
And Catma is the yin
That would be Catpa, actually :D

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

Please pardon the cussing… ( cussing, which I just learned activates the part of the brain when animals are warning others of danger 😆)

Unfortunately, 10 years later, he ate his words falling for face masks etc…

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

Thinker wrote: April 1st, 2024, 1:18 pm Another random thought about dogma in the church, especially in such a cultish church. And is the way I see Mormonism different than most people in the world see it?

Dogma is the yang - nothing wrong with it, but LDS need a little less "A bible! A bible!" and a little more asking, seeking, knocking imnsho.
You think there’s nothing wrong with accepting lies uncritically… just because “authority said so”?

Original_Intent
Level 34 Illuminated

Thinker wrote: April 4th, 2024, 12:03 am

You think there’s nothing wrong with accepting lies uncritically… just because “authority said so”?
I guess we disagree on our usage of "dogma".
a principle or set of principles laid down by an authority as incontrovertibly true:
I am using it in the sense of saying "I know" and the yin of that is "I don't know", "I question", or "I seek".
Based on the definition, I see where you are coming from. In my thought, in our yang state WE EACH are the person being dogmatic, stating that x.y. and z are "incontrovertibly true" - and in this sense, there is nothing wrong with dogma as part of the greater whole.

FrankOne
captain of 1,000

Post by FrankOne »

Thinker wrote: April 4th, 2024, 12:00 am Please pardon the cussing… ( cussing, which I just learned activates the part of the brain when animals are warning others of danger 😆)

Unfortunately, 10 years later, he ate his words falling for face masks etc…

orson wells clapping.jpg
orson wells clapping.jpg (17.23 KiB) Viewed 96 times

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

Original_Intent wrote: April 4th, 2024, 3:29 am
Thinker wrote: April 4th, 2024, 12:03 am You think there’s nothing wrong with accepting lies uncritically… just because “authority said so”?
I guess we disagree on our usage of "dogma".
a principle or set of principles laid down by an authority as incontrovertibly true:
I am using it in the sense of saying "I know" and the yin of that is "I don't know", "I question", or "I seek".
Based on the definition, I see where you are coming from. In my thought, in our yang state WE EACH are the person being dogmatic, stating that x.y. and z are "incontrovertibly true" - and in this sense, there is nothing wrong with dogma as part of the greater whole.
Well, I also see where you’re coming from. Thanks. Similarly, I argue against agnosticism, despite it being the most strictly logical stand, because it ignores the power of strong belief, ie placebo effect. Faith is - fact of life for all - it’s ignorant to pretend such a powerful influence doesn’t exist.

Maybe belief & faith are like $ or time - we need to study our potential investments before we invest. Dogma hurts us if we don’t. I firmly believe - & there’s evidence to suggest - that some religious dogmas are correlated (or help cause) mental illness & financial problems.

It may be more realistic & thus healthier to approach religious ideas, assuming that at least 3/4 of them are wrong & immoral. If we’re mistaken, great! But to go forward blindly investing confidently, our precious faith in evil - is unwise, especially if we could’ve discerned the evil if we simply took an hour of meditation, contemplation & prayer to see it for what it is, rather than blindly accept it because authority says so. Thinking takes mental work - & may not always be pleasant - but it’s important to even “wrestle with (our ideas of) God” as Jacob did, so we don’t get tricked into worshipping false gods as the vast majority do.

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

The following video got me thinking:
1. Savings is important (apx 70% live paycheck to paycheck which is how some end up homeless.)
2. Often people are lying to themselves & others - basically they don’t REALLY want to change. They just blame this or that as excuses.
3. If they don’t want to change, then maybe consider spending energy, resources etc, more wisely, understanding that their choices are ultimately up to them, not you.

4. *Often those who have been through the wringer & came out on top, have the strongest spirits! I mean, like this guy who got clean helps others now (briefly mentioned nde/God which I wish he would’ve shared more) 1:10-1:30. I get the impression that this guy is doing the work of God, no matter what his religious beliefs or lack of.
5) A universal temptation seems to be to try to remain childish - to not grow up. Some cling to parental “authority“ substitutes, some want to live off of others, some just don’t want any responsibilities. I don’t know anyone who isn’t somewhat tempted by this. So what to do?
Maybe practice prayer and meditation to feel safe, to trust in our Heavenly Parents & to feel that wonderful sense of being carefree.

Las Vegas tunnel people…https://youtu.be/bRGrKJofDaw?si=DkwHCTodvww91j7T