random thoughts and musings

This is the place where you can discuss things completely Off Topic.
abijah
pleb in zion

Re: random thoughts and musings

Post by abijah »

abijah
pleb in zion

it's february 24

Post by abijah »

abijah
pleb in zion

Post by abijah »

abijah
pleb in zion

Re: random thoughts and musings 🌈🌈🌈

Post by abijah »

Feeling very blessed, though I've been in something of a personal spiritual renaissance the last weeks or so, like waking from a relative slumber. Though fresh-budding springtime is often a spiritual high point for me in the liturgical year.

About a year ago I got an impression that I should explore the visual arts. Since then I've enrolled in various courses at my local community college, seeing where this impression takes me. It wasn't completely out of nowhere, I dabbled in it a bit in my late teen years, and found I had a natural talent as well as it being immensely spiritually satisfying to me. Unfortunately I left the hobby by the wayside, since there were other things to preoccupy my time and attention, and I've always been first and foremost a musician anyway.

There are multiple converging reasons why I've felt inclined to put time and effort into further developing my artistic talents, but the biggest one has been the scriptures. As I gradually track-on more with the spiritual patterns that wind through the text, I've gotten multiple impressions regarding art, how it basically tracks along the Creation story, as well as it's inherent capacity for spiritual potency, and how it is used for evil and for good, just like technology, or in other words the serpent. The wrestle involved in producing something visually beautiful and revelatory gets me in a very "Jacob" sort of mindset, a nocturnal jihad of wrestling against myself with God at my side to make the thing I see in my mind into a corporeal reality.

I've been confirmed multiple times over regarding my choice to follow through with my impression and make it a lifelong pursuit, but lately I've felt my level of inspiration and drive being raised to a fundamentally higher order of magnitude, compelling me to dream high and large in terms of what I'm capable of producing, with a distinct *vibe* settling over me (difficult to articulate), begging to be named, apprehended and limned. Seeds of light falling down from above, desperate to be planted in some fertile soil of the mind's eye where they can take form, and their meaning fleshed-out. But it's a hard thing to grasp, to articulate such fine, ethereal strands into a material, coherent piece of fabric apprehensible to the senses. Transforming pure, delicate meaning into something physical, something corporeal, readily visualisable on a canvass. Making beauty out of raw potential, drawing order out of pure chaos. I've been planning for a bit to open a fast today in order to be able to do this, to creatively capture some of the spiritual essence that's been been liberally distilled, and bottle the lightning, somehow.

Today I had a really in-depth gospel conversation with my art teacher during our class break, as we often do. She has a good spiritual intuition, but also a bit superstitious in my opinion when it comes to some things. She's more quick to consider things as idolatrous or graven images than I am. We got to talking about the nature of art (as well as technology), how it has scandalous origins with the serpent, as well as with Cain's lineage and the nephilim. I made mention about the curious, mysterious paradox of Noah's Ark, how it's a potent image of God using technology (as well as art, the two ought not be differentiated) to preserve life rather than exploit it, death combatting death. Techne caused the Flood, but techne was also the surprising means by which God preserved a remnant.

Mere minutes later, the rainshowers which had seemingly come out of nowhere a couple hours prior suddenly ceased, and the scene outside the class was so brilliant and breathtaking that we paused the class to go outside and marvel. Even though it was still slightly sprinkling above us, the sky was clear in the West as the Sun began to set along the edge of the horizon below the mountains. That side of the sky was completely illuminated in a hazy, translucent golden light refracting through the mist and clouds as the sun was dipping down, while on the other side in the East was a clear, triple rainbow. Two arches right on top of each other, with one greater arch further above those two. An absolute sight to behold, I've never seen anything like it, like a movie.

Photos never do justice to what I ever see with my eyes (such has been my consternation before on this forum), and for some reason the double-arch only shows up as a singular one, while the greater third arch is hardly visible, but that's how it goes, talk about seeing through a glass darkly. I don't even want to post them because they fail so hard in representing what we saw. Interesting how sometimes words are more accurate than pictures.

A palpable sense of reverence settled over the entire class, us students marvelling at the sheer grandeur of the scene. More than one remarked that it was a "sign" of some sorts. Even among my closest my friends, it's hard for me to think of a time when I felt such a close unity with others to the point where our whole collective soul seemed to vibrate in such a kind of obvious tandem.

It's one thing to interpret profound meaning when you're the only the interpreter; it's another thing when there are multiple souls in a shared, communal voice simultaneously expressing a singular, unified awe. A triple rainbow (triple archer?), with absolutely uncanny timing, I will need some time to ponder on the symbolism...
Last edited by abijah on March 7th, 2024, 6:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Post by BeNotDeceived »

abijah wrote: March 7th, 2024, 2:55 am
Photos never do justice to what I ever see with my eyes (such has been my consternation before on this forum), and for some reason the double-arch only shows up as a singular one, while the greater third arch is hardly visible, but that's how it goes, talk about seeing through a glass darkly. I don't even want to post them because they fail so hard in representing what we saw. Interesting how sometimes words are more accurate than pictures.

A palpable sense of reverence settled over the entire class, us students marvelling on the sheer grandeur of the scene. More than one remarked that it was a "sign" of some sorts. Even among my closest my friends, it's hard for me to think of a time when I felt such a close unity with others to the point where our whole collective soul seemed to vibrate in such kind of tandem.

It's one thing to interpret profound meaning when you're the only the interpreter; it's another thing when there are multiple souls in a shared, communal voice simultaneously expressing a singular, unified awe. A triple rainbow (triple archer?), with absolutely uncanny timing, I will need some time to ponder on the symbolism...
At times, such as shown at march8miracle.org a photo captures what isn’t seen with the naked eye. A camera lens may in essence become a seer stone by which essential truths are revealed. SPACEMAN was about two trees, but now three rainbows were seen. Perhaps gargoyl is misspelled yet serves as a unique keyword similar to Crist, as per March 18 Miracle at said URL.

abijah
pleb in zion

Post by abijah »

BeNotDeceived wrote: March 7th, 2024, 6:37 amAt times, such as shown at march8miracle.org a photo captures what isn’t seen with the naked eye. A camera lens may in essence become a seer stone by which essential truths are revealed. SPACEMAN was about two trees, but now three rainbows were seen. Perhaps gargoyl is misspelled yet serves as a unique keyword similar to Crist, as per March 18 Miracle at said URL.
Happy miracle-iversary! 🥳 🎉

abijah
pleb in zion

Post by abijah »

https://snake.io/

If you want to learn how snake symbolism and the magic circle work metaphysically.... don't get addicted.. 🎲 🐍

Victory = Circling.

Every loading screen sports on orobouros for a reason, because loading is that thing, a reptilian re-turning...

the bigger you get, the further you can see 🎮 📈🏆

abijah
pleb in zion

Re: Nephilim 🤡

Post by abijah »

👀Image
abijah wrote: November 18th, 2023, 4:02 pm

Nephilim look(ed) like clowns. According to the Book of Jubilees, the demons who haunt mankind are the remnant nephilim spirits who were wiped out by the Flood. Everything relating to the Flood and the things that caused it have to do with the escalation of cyclical time. Clowns are an embodiment of cyclical time, performing at circuses, and vacillating rapidly between happy and sad 🎭 feeding off of fear, as well as laughter/pleasure, not unlike the plot of Monsters Inc, where the monsters who prey on children transition to becoming comedians, in order to harvest the energy needed to power their world. The modern clown idea came from Joseph Grimaldi, a 19 century son of a freemason who completely revolutionised the aesthetic of jesters to what they are today.

Momma J
captain of 1,000

Post by Momma J »

I have two phobias. Clowns is at the very top of the list. Something very sinister (in my mind) with people who wear masks or face paint. Many say it is fun. I say it is an act of deceit. (and it scares the bejeebies out of me)

abijah
pleb in zion

Post by abijah »

abijah
pleb in zion

Post by abijah »

abijah
pleb in zion

Post by abijah »

idk, but very stylish, mammal hair + reptile physique very in-fashion at the moment, so my horoscope says 😂🔮

(lmao obviously reptiles would never team up with mammals...

..probably.......................)
🐉🪮

Dusty Wanderer
captain of 1,000

Post by Dusty Wanderer »

abijah wrote: March 20th, 2024, 6:46 pm
Very thorough and interesting. The details around Baal and the child sacrifices, though already familiar, were particularly haunting.

Dusty Wanderer
captain of 1,000

Post by Dusty Wanderer »

abijah wrote: March 20th, 2024, 11:10 pm idk, but very stylish, mammal hair + reptile physique very in-fashion at the moment, so my horoscope says 😂🔮

🐉🪮
Guess everyone was right about Mike Tyson’s manager Don King - looks like he was actually a snake after all.
IMG_0064.jpeg
IMG_0064.jpeg (55.3 KiB) Viewed 518 times

abijah
pleb in zion

Post by abijah »

Dusty Wanderer wrote: March 21st, 2024, 12:00 am
abijah wrote: March 20th, 2024, 6:46 pm
Very thorough and interesting. The details around Baal and the child sacrifices, though already familiar, were particularly haunting.
Weird looking guy, with green hair...

Yes, and something not new, his namesake shook the entire world system of his time. Funny how things evolve (or don't), from one empire to the next.

"Hannibal", mister secular moroni, the man who almost overtook Rome by ingenious stratagem and sheer force of will, had the same etymological name root meaning as the apostle "John". Interesting stuff (definitely coincidental), makes one wonder who's name lives harder, and how...

i will boil all history into names, any further nuance is certified gay.
Last edited by abijah on March 21st, 2024, 7:45 am, edited 2 times in total.

abijah
pleb in zion

🕯️wicker 🌄

Post by abijah »

Isaiah 53
He was oppressed and afflicted,
yet he did not open his mouth;
he was led like a lamb to the slaughter,
and as a sheep before its shearers is silent,
so he did not open his mouth.
Isaiah 43
See, I am doing a new thing!
Now it springs up; do you not perceive it?

(shoutout to my departed nigga Michael Sherwin, who got himself banned for no good reason

knowledge turns obliquely and you needed patience 🥺 Yet I mourn your passing, and pray your comeback 🙏)

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Post by BeNotDeceived »

abijah wrote: March 20th, 2024, 11:10 pm idk, but very stylish, mammal hair + reptile physique very in-fashion at the moment, so my horoscope says 😂🔮

🐉🪮
An upside down bearded dragon 🐉

The Backyard Professor now does a dragon motif too.

Gargoyles sometimes spelled Gargoyl have wings, sometimes, but not always?

One made an interesting mark that proved prophetic upon the head of Michael Sherwin.

abijah
pleb in zion

Post by abijah »

🤯really interesting...

abijah
pleb in zion

Post by abijah »

serious stuff. i need to repent.
(0:00-8:45) What Jesus Is Doing in These Case Studies

(8:45-18:09) Overview of Matthew 5:21-32

(18:09-26:11) Insults, Contempt, and the Value of Human Beings

(26:11-32:07) The Paradox of the Crime and the Punishment

(32:07-56:15) The Meaning of the Word Gehenna
  • Matthew 5
    21 Ye have heard that it was said of them of old time, "Thou shalt not kill"; and whosoever shall kill shall be in danger of the judgment:

22 But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, "Raca", shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, "Thou fool", shall be in danger of hell fire.

23 Therefore if thou bring thy gift to the altar, and there rememberest that thy brother hath ought against thee;

24 Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift.

One particularly interesting point Tim brought up was about verse 22, there's a counterintuitive progression to it. Apparently there is a deliberate, paradoxical escalation of the scale by which one is judged, but in the reverse order one might think. The verse is broken up into three sections:
  1. Angry with brother (murderous thoughts) = danger of judgement by local village council
  2. Call brother "Raca", an Aramaic term of contempt meaning "empty one" (scorn/disdain) = danger of "the council", i.e. the Sanhedrin, the highest court of Israel
  3. Say "Thou fool" (insults) = Danger of Gehenna-fire/God's heavenly courtroom
Section #1 is a direct reference to Cain, and is what most people would typically think is the most severe of the three different manifestations of anger, carrying with it the implication of murderous rage, and yet paradoxically is in danger of the smallest-scale judgement (the immediate, local judicial body; the village council).

Comparative to the murderous rage of Section #1, Section #2 is a step down in severity in that it's the lower gradation of anger, labelling/naming someone as a contemptable/worthless person, which Jesus says is under the jurisdiction of the Sanhedrin.

Section #3 on the other hand is what most people would typically think as being the least serious manifestation of anger (calling someone an idiot), and is paradoxically in danger of the highest-scale judgement, which is God's personal throne room.

Basically Jesus is taking the natural man's concept about different gradations of anger and seemingly applying what might appear to be a completely disproportionate level of punishment than how one would typically think. The 'most serious' anger (murderous rage) gets the smallest-scale judgement (parochial-level penalization), whereas the 'least serious' anger (petty insults) is subject to the severest scale of judgement (literally God's own throne room).

We think of thoughts as being on a different level than words, and words as on a different level than actions. And while these things might be duly separated categories in our present fallen world, they're probably a lot more integrated and closer intertwined on the spiritual/heavenly plane, meaning that one must be sufficiently Christ-aligned in order to properly inhabit and function in Zion, where there's a lot less separation between thoughts and language, between language and action. One's thoughts, words, and actions must be able to agree and coexist in harmony. I get the sense that the telepathic superstructure of Zion couldn't exist or function based on fractured intentions or motivations, when each other's impure thoughts and fallen feelings are naked to the collective mind's eye.

A conclusion Bibleproject comes to is that Jesus is essentially trying to shock peoples' sensibilities about how the moral economy of the Torah actually works (that outward action is born of the inward patterns of the heart), so as to invite/spur them to completely re-think and re-frame how they categorize things, realising that there's an entire, deeper layer of meaning of the Law in terms of how it reflects and intimates God's true character, an entirely higher level wherein one's internal state of the heart & external behaviour (heaven & earth) aren't at all disjunct from each other -- and that's definitely true, but my intuition hints that there's a lot more going on here though as well, metaphysically speaking, but it's hard to put my finger on at the moment.

abijah
pleb in zion

Post by abijah »

νεφελη

The noun νεφελη (nephele) means cloud in the specific sense of "a cloud", and stems from the more general νεφος (nephos), meaning cloud in the conceptual sense of "cloudness", "cloudiness" or "cloudedness", which in turn comes from the ancient Proto-Indo-European root "nebh-", meaning cloud, but is also suspiciously similar to the verb נפל (napal), to fall down (implying rain from clouds).

From the PIE root "nebh-" also comes our English word "nebula", as well as the name Neptune, which belongs to the Greco-Roman god of the seas, the Latin equivalent of the Hellene name Poseidon. The name Poseidon derives possibly from the PIE root "dah", water, hence the Sanskrit danu, to flow, and ultimately the name Danube. Poseidon (Neptune) was a brother of Zeus (that's Jupiter to the Romans), the alpha-god, whose signature epithet was νεφεληγερετα (nephelegereta), or cloud-gatherer (see Jeremiah 10:13), from our noun νεφελη (nephele), cloud, and the verb αγειρω (ageiro), to collect or gather, hence the derived noun αγορα (agora), meaning market place or place of gathering. Hence, our word νεφελη (nephele) not necessarily describes an mass of water vapor elevated into the atmosphere, but also "clouds" of men interacting (mostly fighting but also trading). The proverbial giants of old, the suspiciously similar named Nephilim may likewise have been great in organization and societal complexity rather than mere physical size.

The ancients not only had a firm grasp of the hydrological cycle (Job 36:27-28, Ecclesiastes 1:7), but also managed to apply it to the cognitive cycle. More precise: the ancients realized that the universe is a fractal and evolves like a fractal, with the dynamic principles of cognition being self-similar to those of the much older hydrological cycle.

The world essentially consists of dry land and water. The people of the dry land (lovingly called Apollonians) think in terms of nations, nationalities and native cultures. They are tethered to their orthodoxies and fashions, heed boundaries and regulations, and cling to law and order. Apollonians worry about aggressive neighbors and invasions by "others". And they worry about torrential rains and floodings, particularly floodings of people: the ultimate "others", namely the Mercurials, the border-crossers, the landless, the "lawless" (more precise: they don't bother much with human law but are eagerly curious after the laws of nature). Mercurials don't bother with orthodoxy or with national borders, only with what works (i.e. natural law) and the road ahead. Their interests are broad and their legacy global. They travel, and entertain, and renew and inspire. But they always move on.

The idea is that the mental world of humanity is really as much a closed system as all the water is on planet earth (even allowing for the occasional comet: REVELATION 18:21). Just like there's no such thing as an individual ant or an individual bee, there's also no such thing as an individual homo sapiens. Our celebrated human minds and consciousness derive from our collective culture: every thought we cherish depends on words, and words depend on the interaction of vast collectives of humans, patiently imitating each other's verbal expressions until some kind of consensus is reached about what to call a thing.

When very early humans were physically capable of speech, they still needed to cross vast epochs of mutual exploration to arrive at anything resembling a proper language, with discrete words that were recognized and accepted across vast language basins. Without words there are no conversations and, more strikingly, no conscious thoughts to exchange. Words are the currency of conscious thought, and without currency there is no economy.

If the seas represent the unknown or the subconscious (no footing) and dry land the known or conscious (footing: Genesis 8:9, MATTHEW 14:26-31), then the earliest words had spontaneously distilled from vast mental swaths like mist from the ground (Genesis 2:6). Only when the first words had distilled within the complex interactions of vast populations of very early humans, modern man could begin to exist: "Then the Lord God formed man of dust from the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living being" (Genesis 2:7). Much later, God promised to Abraham that his offspring would be like that same dust of the earth (Genesis 13:16, see GALATIANS 3:9). Later still, he again gathered this Abrahamic "dust", and released once again within them the Holy Spirit (ACTS 2:4) and thus created again a living being (namely the Body of Christ, or εκκλεσια, ekklesia, the "called out").

The Hebrew word מורה (moreh) means both rain and teacher, and relates to the familiar word Torah. As the ancients realized: YHWH is the father of the Logos, and without the word (ονομα, onoma) there is no law (νομος, nomos). The verb נהר (nahar) means both to shine (what a star does; Genesis 15:5) and to flow (what a river does; Genesis 2:10). The Hebrew word for light is אור ('or), from which stem the names Ur (where Abraham was from), and Ye'or (the Hebrew word for Nile). And as we discuss more elaborately in our article on the name Tigris: early human cultures formed around rivers and remained closely associated to those rivers until the modern era.

In the New Testament, our nouns νεφος (nephos) and νεφελη (nephele) almost exclusively describe loose gatherings of human minds: so loose and vague that they merely hover over our cultures and don't lavish any of us with a systematic supply of instructions. The mental clouds of humanity are things like hunches and fashions: mental currents that cast mere shadows on the land but which themselves are only visible through the eyes of artists, who depict them in themes of hope and dread that loom in their paintings, songs and literature. Only when these clouds have gathered critical mass, they begin to yield rain, and the rain waters the plants and washes away loose dust and collect into rivers that flow back to the sea.

These are the kinds of clouds that once bore the Torah (1 CORINTHIANS 10:1-2, Exodus 24:15-18), and later hid Jesus from the sight of the apostles (ACTS 1:9). These are also the kinds of clouds that will make him visible again (1 THESSALONIANS 4:17, REVELATION 1:7).

Our noun is used 26 times; SEE FULL CONCORDANCE. It relates to the following:
  • As mentioned above, the noun νεφος (nephos) means "cloudness" and occurs in the New Testament in HEBREWS 12:1 only, where it obviously does not describe a mass of water vapor but a mass of intuitive human reality: "...since we have so great a cloud of witnesses surrounding us".
  • The noun γνοφος (gnophos), means darkness or gloom, the proverbial counterpart of light and joy, and is used in HEBREWS 12:18 only. Most dictionaries list this noun as descending from νεφος (nephos), but it's not clear at all whether this is technically the case. The chances are actually excellent that this word originated in a now lost pre-Greek (i.e. non-Indo-European) word that described an overcast or rainy sky, and through popular usage in the Greek language basin gravitated toward our Indo-European word νεφος (nephos), meaning cloud. The striking γν- (gn-) with which our word begins reminds of words like γνωσις (gnosis), knowledge, from γινωσκω (ginosko), to know (from the PIE root "gneh-"), and γενεα (genea), generation, from the verb γινομαι (ginomai), to begin to be (from the PIE root "genh-"). Our noun γνοφος (gnophos), however, appears to have artificially morphed into these roots because in older texts appears its original form of δνοφος (dnophos), which is probably pre-Greek, but strongly reminds of the above mentioned PIE root "dah", water, hence the Sanskrit danu, to flow, and the names Danube and Poseidon.
Some noteworthy Hebrew words that mean cloud
  • Noun משאה (massa'a), describes a mass of clouds, and comes from the verb נשא (nasa'), which describes an upward and extractive motion. This noun is spelled the same as משאה (massa'a), meaning a loan. The verb משה (masha) means to draw or draw out of water, and is the origin of the name Moses.
  • The noun עב ('ab) describes a thick, dark cloud cover, and comes from the verb עוב ('wb), to be hidden or absent. Note the proximity of these words to the nouns אב ('ab), father, and אב ('eb), freshness.
  • The root ערר ('arar) describes an accumulation into one place (compare Genesis 1:9, which uses the verb קוה, qawa, to collect, instead) that results in an emptiness or barrenness everywhere else — both cities and clouds form from this principle. Noun עיר ('ir) is the common Hebrew word for city, and note that the heavenly city called the New Jerusalem descends to earth not unlike rain (REVELATION 21:2). The related verb עור ('awar) describes a cloudy cataract in the eye, for which the Greek uses νεφελη (nephele).
  • Noun ענן ('anan) means cloud, whereas its parent verb ענן ('nn) appears to describe the deriving of solid theories out of hardly related observations (to divine, in other words). This noun ענן ('anan) occurs about eighty times, with sixty of these referring to the pillar of cloud that guided Israel through the wilderness (Exodus 13:21-22).
  • Noun עריף ('arip) means cloud and ערפל ('arapel) describes a heavy cloud mass. Both stem from the verb ערף ('arap), meaning to drip or drop.
  • The noun אבק ('abaq) describes rain turned to dust as agent of punishment and destruction (Deuteronomy 28:24), stormy clouds beneath the feet of YHWH (Nahum 1:3), or dust thrown up by countless charging horses (Ezekiel 26:10). Its identical verb אבק ('abaq) is commonly translated with "to wrestle", and occurs only in the enigmatic scene in which Jacob "wrestled" with the Angel of YHWH at the river Jabbok (Genesis 32:24). After this struggle, Jacob became Israel (32:28).
(https://www.abarim-publications.com/Dic ... -sfin.html)

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Post by BeNotDeceived »

abijah wrote: March 29th, 2024, 5:54 pm Image

νεφελη

The noun νεφελη (nephele) means cloud in the specific sense of "a cloud", and stems from the more general νεφος (nephos), meaning cloud in the conceptual sense of "cloudness", "cloudiness" or "cloudedness", which in turn comes from the ancient Proto-Indo-European root "nebh-", meaning cloud, but is also suspiciously similar to the verb נפל (napal), to fall down (implying rain from clouds).

From the PIE root "nebh-" also comes our English word "nebula", as well as the name Neptune, which belongs to the Greco-Roman god of the seas, the Latin equivalent of the Hellene name Poseidon. The name Poseidon derives possibly from the PIE root "dah", water, hence the Sanskrit danu, to flow, and ultimately the name Danube. Poseidon (Neptune) was a brother of Zeus (that's Jupiter to the Romans), the alpha-god, whose signature epithet was νεφεληγερετα (nephelegereta), or cloud-gatherer (see Jeremiah 10:13), from our noun νεφελη (nephele), cloud, and the verb αγειρω (ageiro), to collect or gather, hence the derived noun αγορα (agora), meaning market place or place of gathering. Hence, our word νεφελη (nephele) not necessarily describes an mass of water vapor elevated into the atmosphere, but also "clouds" of men interacting (mostly fighting but also trading). The proverbial giants of old, the suspiciously similar named Nephilim may likewise have been great in organization and societal complexity rather than mere physical size.

The ancients not only had a firm grasp of the hydrological cycle (Job 36:27-28, Ecclesiastes 1:7), but also managed to apply it to the cognitive cycle. More precise: the ancients realized that the universe is a fractal and evolves like a fractal, with the dynamic principles of cognition being self-similar to those of the much older hydrological cycle.

The world essentially consists of dry land and water. The people of the dry land (lovingly called Apollonians) think in terms of nations, nationalities and native cultures. They are tethered to their orthodoxies and fashions, heed boundaries and regulations, and cling to law and order. Apollonians worry about aggressive neighbors and invasions by "others". And they worry about torrential rains and floodings, particularly floodings of people: the ultimate "others", namely the Mercurials, the border-crossers, the landless, the "lawless" (more precise: they don't bother much with human law but are eagerly curious after the laws of nature). Mercurials don't bother with orthodoxy or with national borders, only with what works (i.e. natural law) and the road ahead. Their interests are broad and their legacy global. They travel, and entertain, and renew and inspire. But they always move on.

The idea is that the mental world of humanity is really as much a closed system as all the water is on planet earth (even allowing for the occasional comet: REVELATION 18:21). Just like there's no such thing as an individual ant or an individual bee, there's also no such thing as an individual homo sapiens. Our celebrated human minds and consciousness derive from our collective culture: every thought we cherish depends on words, and words depend on the interaction of vast collectives of humans, patiently imitating each other's verbal expressions until some kind of consensus is reached about what to call a thing.

When very early humans were physically capable of speech, they still needed to cross vast epochs of mutual exploration to arrive at anything resembling a proper language, with discrete words that were recognized and accepted across vast language basins. Without words there are no conversations and, more strikingly, no conscious thoughts to exchange. Words are the currency of conscious thought, and without currency there is no economy.

If the seas represent the unknown or the subconscious (no footing) and dry land the known or conscious (footing: Genesis 8:9, MATTHEW 14:26-31), then the earliest words had spontaneously distilled from vast mental swaths like mist from the ground (Genesis 2:6). Only when the first words had distilled within the complex interactions of vast populations of very early humans, modern man could begin to exist: "Then the Lord God formed man of dust from the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living being" (Genesis 2:7). Much later, God promised to Abraham that his offspring would be like that same dust of the earth (Genesis 13:16, see GALATIANS 3:9). Later still, he again gathered this Abrahamic "dust", and released once again within them the Holy Spirit (ACTS 2:4) and thus created again a living being (namely the Body of Christ, or εκκλεσια, ekklesia, the "called out").

The Hebrew word מורה (moreh) means both rain and teacher, and relates to the familiar word Torah. As the ancients realized: YHWH is the father of the Logos, and without the word (ονομα, onoma) there is no law (νομος, nomos). The verb נהר (nahar) means both to shine (what a star does; Genesis 15:5) and to flow (what a river does; Genesis 2:10). The Hebrew word for light is אור ('or), from which stem the names Ur (where Abraham was from), and Ye'or (the Hebrew word for Nile). And as we discuss more elaborately in our article on the name Tigris: early human cultures formed around rivers and remained closely associated to those rivers until the modern era.

In the New Testament, our nouns νεφος (nephos) and νεφελη (nephele) almost exclusively describe loose gatherings of human minds: so loose and vague that they merely hover over our cultures and don't lavish any of us with a systematic supply of instructions. The mental clouds of humanity are things like hunches and fashions: mental currents that cast mere shadows on the land but which themselves are only visible through the eyes of artists, who depict them in themes of hope and dread that loom in their paintings, songs and literature. Only when these clouds have gathered critical mass, they begin to yield rain, and the rain waters the plants and washes away loose dust and collect into rivers that flow back to the sea.

These are the kinds of clouds that once bore the Torah (1 CORINTHIANS 10:1-2, Exodus 24:15-18), and later hid Jesus from the sight of the apostles (ACTS 1:9). These are also the kinds of clouds that will make him visible again (1 THESSALONIANS 4:17, REVELATION 1:7).

Our noun is used 26 times; SEE FULL CONCORDANCE. It relates to the following:
  • As mentioned above, the noun νεφος (nephos) means "cloudness" and occurs in the New Testament in HEBREWS 12:1 only, where it obviously does not describe a mass of water vapor but a mass of intuitive human reality: "...since we have so great a cloud of witnesses surrounding us".
  • The noun γνοφος (gnophos), means darkness or gloom, the proverbial counterpart of light and joy, and is used in HEBREWS 12:18 only. Most dictionaries list this noun as descending from νεφος (nephos), but it's not clear at all whether this is technically the case. The chances are actually excellent that this word originated in a now lost pre-Greek (i.e. non-Indo-European) word that described an overcast or rainy sky, and through popular usage in the Greek language basin gravitated toward our Indo-European word νεφος (nephos), meaning cloud. The striking γν- (gn-) with which our word begins reminds of words like γνωσις (gnosis), knowledge, from γινωσκω (ginosko), to know (from the PIE root "gneh-"), and γενεα (genea), generation, from the verb γινομαι (ginomai), to begin to be (from the PIE root "genh-"). Our noun γνοφος (gnophos), however, appears to have artificially morphed into these roots because in older texts appears its original form of δνοφος (dnophos), which is probably pre-Greek, but strongly reminds of the above mentioned PIE root "dah", water, hence the Sanskrit danu, to flow, and the names Danube and Poseidon.
Some noteworthy Hebrew words that mean cloud
  • Noun משאה (massa'a), describes a mass of clouds, and comes from the verb נשא (nasa'), which describes an upward and extractive motion. This noun is spelled the same as משאה (massa'a), meaning a loan. The verb משה (masha) means to draw or draw out of water, and is the origin of the name Moses.
  • The noun עב ('ab) describes a thick, dark cloud cover, and comes from the verb עוב ('wb), to be hidden or absent. Note the proximity of these words to the nouns אב ('ab), father, and אב ('eb), freshness.
  • The root ערר ('arar) describes an accumulation into one place (compare Genesis 1:9, which uses the verb קוה, qawa, to collect, instead) that results in an emptiness or barrenness everywhere else — both cities and clouds form from this principle. Noun עיר ('ir) is the common Hebrew word for city, and note that the heavenly city called the New Jerusalem descends to earth not unlike rain (REVELATION 21:2). The related verb עור ('awar) describes a cloudy cataract in the eye, for which the Greek uses νεφελη (nephele).
  • Noun ענן ('anan) means cloud, whereas its parent verb ענן ('nn) appears to describe the deriving of solid theories out of hardly related observations (to divine, in other words). This noun ענן ('anan) occurs about eighty times, with sixty of these referring to the pillar of cloud that guided Israel through the wilderness (Exodus 13:21-22).
  • Noun עריף ('arip) means cloud and ערפל ('arapel) describes a heavy cloud mass. Both stem from the verb ערף ('arap), meaning to drip or drop.
  • The noun אבק ('abaq) describes rain turned to dust as agent of punishment and destruction (Deuteronomy 28:24), stormy clouds beneath the feet of YHWH (Nahum 1:3), or dust thrown up by countless charging horses (Ezekiel 26:10). Its identical verb אבק ('abaq) is commonly translated with "to wrestle", and occurs only in the enigmatic scene in which Jacob "wrestled" with the Angel of YHWH at the river Jabbok (Genesis 32:24). After this struggle, Jacob became Israel (32:28).
(https://www.abarim-publications.com/Dic ... -sfin.html)
https://discussmormonism.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=158170&p=2858118#p2858118 wrote:
Apropos, but not properly appreciated. 🐳 whale

Magical, but not Merlin in Abijah’s Arboretum. 🌴 🌴

Dusty Wanderer
captain of 1,000

Post by Dusty Wanderer »

abijah wrote: March 25th, 2024, 7:33 pm 🤯really interesting...
Wow, this was eye-opening. So much of the OT seems to tie back into these types (Nephilim, trees, seed/fruit, knowing/wives/marriage, kings/gods/progenitors, etc), many of which have been deliberately obscured through later “sanitizing” of the unsavory bits.

I believe all that the obscuring has done is make people more susceptible to the hidden tactics of the adversary (that bit about not knowing history, doomed to repeat it). Though, for those that become aware of these types, wherever we see the patterns, we know whose influence is being yielded to.

Dusty Wanderer
captain of 1,000

Post by Dusty Wanderer »

abijah wrote: March 29th, 2024, 5:54 pm The world essentially consists of dry land and water. The people of the dry land (lovingly called Apollonians) think in terms of nations, nationalities and native cultures. They are tethered to their orthodoxies and fashions, heed boundaries and regulations, and cling to law and order. Apollonians worry about aggressive neighbors and invasions by "others". And they worry about torrential rains and floodings, particularly floodings of people: the ultimate "others", namely the Mercurials, the border-crossers, the landless, the "lawless" (more precise: they don't bother much with human law but are eagerly curious after the laws of nature). Mercurials don't bother with orthodoxy or with national borders, only with what works (i.e. natural law) and the road ahead. Their interests are broad and their legacy global. They travel, and entertain, and renew and inspire. But they always move on.
The “sea peoples”?
abijah wrote: March 29th, 2024, 5:54 pm If the seas represent the unknown or the subconscious (no footing) and dry land the known or conscious (footing: Genesis 8:9, MATTHEW 14:26-31), then the earliest words had spontaneously distilled from vast mental swaths like mist from the ground (Genesis 2:6). Only when the first words had distilled within the complex interactions of vast populations of very early humans, modern man could begin to exist: "Then the Lord God formed man of dust from the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living being" (Genesis 2:7). Much later, God promised to Abraham that his offspring would be like that same dust of the earth (Genesis 13:16, see GALATIANS 3:9). Later still, he again gathered this Abrahamic "dust", and released once again within them the Holy Spirit (ACTS 2:4) and thus created again a living being (namely the Body of Christ, or εκκλεσια, ekklesia, the "called out").
Gen. 7
22 All in whose nostrils was the breath of life, of all that was in the dry land, died.

Is this referring to all those that had the word, or as referred to above, the Apollonians? Seems to be an association here between the living, those that had breath or the word, and the loss of it, as with the collapse of a certain tower called babel.

And in Acts 2:4, “spirit” is taken from the Greek Pneuma meaning, “spirit, wind, breath”.
abijah wrote: March 29th, 2024, 5:54 pm In the New Testament, our nouns νεφος (nephos) and νεφελη (nephele) almost exclusively describe loose gatherings of human minds: so loose and vague that they merely hover over our cultures and don't lavish any of us with a systematic supply of instructions.
“Loose” meaning without any guiding principals or structure or bounds within which the minds can safely cultivate?
abijah wrote: March 29th, 2024, 5:54 pm These are the kinds of clouds that once bore the Torah (1 CORINTHIANS 10:1-2, Exodus 24:15-18), and later hid Jesus from the sight of the apostles (ACTS 1:9). These are also the kinds of clouds that will make him visible again (1 THESSALONIANS 4:17, REVELATION 1:7).
Are these clouds similar to those that followed Israel by day during their sojourn in the wilderness?

Overall, fantastic post.

I’ve wondered about what the ideal societal, long-term living arrangement for humans waiting for the Lord to come again and establish His system (cities vs purely agrarian vs hunter/gatherer) — ie. best for our bodies, the land, the ecosystem, our daily reliance upon God, preparedness for catastrophes, etc. I can’t shake the idea that whatever it is, it would probably resemble a nomadic or migratory lifestyle than anything else. But I’m still sorting through that.

abijah
pleb in zion

The mountain of LDSFF ⛰️

Post by abijah »

הרה הר הרר

Officially, the noun הר (har - mountain) and the verb הרה (hara - pregnant) have nothing to do with each other, but to any poetic mind they would sure go together. Bear in mind, however, that ancient Hebrew sense of poetry is not the same as the modern English:
  • הרר
    The noun הר (har) is the Bible's common word for mountain or hill. It and its proper plural, הרים, occur more than 500 times, but note that the form הרים may also result from the verb רום (rum), meaning to lift up (as such it occurs for instance in Leviticus 2:9 and 1 Kings 11:27).

Other than the obvious connection with the verb רום (rum), it's not wholly clear where our noun הר (har) comes from, but probably from some root or verb הרר (hrr). But that particular verb isn't used, nor is it found in cognate languages, and its meaning is entirely elusive. Our intuition would dictate that the verb of the word for mountain probably has to do with being elevated, but that may not be correct. In Hebrew thought, a mountain is not something that's high, a mountain is a lot of something gathered. And so, a mountain became synonymous for a large but centralized group of people (Jeremiah 51:25), or even gods (Isaiah 14:13).

In the Bible, mountains are often associated with places of worship (pagan: Deuteronomy 12:9, Isaiah 65:7; YHWH: Exodus 17:9, 1 Kings 18:42), and it's been proposed that people like to pray on mountains because it gives them the feeling that they're closer to the divine realm. Here at Abarim Publications we disagree with that.

Although some of the gods of old were celestial (operating in the skies), many others were terrestrial (operating on the land). In the Bible, Elohim YHWH is only very rarely associated with heaven; he's mostly positioned on earth: he hovers over the waters (Genesis 1:2), he walks in the garden in the cool of the day (Genesis 3:8), he closes the door to the Ark (Genesis 7:16), and he physically visits Abraham (Genesis 18:2). We maintain that mountains didn't remind people of the spiritual realm, but of the effect of the spiritual realm on people, namely that of gathering and centralizing.

And of course, since most life goes on in valleys and on plains, folks seeking solace go to mountains where they are least likely to be disturbed.

The enigmatic name El Shaddai can be explained in many ways, but some scholars propose that it means El of the Mountain. This has nothing to do with the heavenly El's earthly abode, but with the centralizing force El exercises on the people.

A people is only a people when it has a collective identity. One of the primary functions of early deities was to provide that identity and gather the people around or within that identity. The phrase הר־אלהים (har-elohim) occurs in a few variations (Exodus 4:27, Psalm 36:6, 68:15), and some scholars translate this with a majestic or mighty mountain. But El was not seen as a distant dictator deity, but rather as of the national identity, or rather: the Person whose personality would be the personality of the collective; thus establishing it and maintaining it. The same still goes for Jesus and the Body of Christ.

But possibly an even stronger metaphor is the mountain as (1) one's boundary of vision, and (2) a way to expand one's field of vision. The Greek word for boundary or horizon is ορος (horos) and the word for mountain is the highly similar ορος (oros).

Our noun הר (har) comes in a few curious forms. When David speaks of "my mountain" (and that's probably not David's pet hill but rather his vision - Psalm 30:7) the word is הררי (harary). Likewise, the plural form of this noun, mountains, is sometimes הרים (harim), but also sometimes הררים (hararim). In Genesis 14:10 occurs the form הרה (hera), meaning mountain-ward. This form returns in the verb הרה (hara):
  • הרה
    The verb הרה (hera) means to be or become pregnant (Genesis 16:4, Exodus 2:2, Isaiah 26:18). An association with the previous noun is obvious, although not because the stomach of a pregnant woman resembles a mountain. The Bible depicts nations as individual women even more than as mountains; the words אמה ('umma), meaning people and אם ('em), meaning mother are closely related. A pregnant woman is to her husband what a conceiving nation is to its deity.

This verb's derivations are:

The adjective הרה (hara), meaning pregnant (Genesis 38:24, Isaiah 7:14).
    The adjective הריה (hariya), also meaning pregnant (Hosea 14:1 only).
    The masculine noun הריון (herayon), meaning conception of pregnancy (Hosea 9:11, Ruth 4:13).
    Also note that the root שׂדה (sdh) is related to the Assyrian sadu, meaning mountain, while the root שׁדה (shdh) yields derivation שׁד (shad), meaning (female) breast (follow the link for more info on both).
(https://www.abarim-publications.com/Dictionary/he/he-r.html)
Last edited by abijah on April 5th, 2024, 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

abijah
pleb in zion

Post by abijah »

Dusty Wanderer wrote: April 1st, 2024, 3:36 pm
abijah wrote: March 29th, 2024, 5:54 pm The world essentially consists of dry land and water. The people of the dry land (lovingly called Apollonians) think in terms of nations, nationalities and native cultures. They are tethered to their orthodoxies and fashions, heed boundaries and regulations, and cling to law and order. Apollonians worry about aggressive neighbors and invasions by "others". And they worry about torrential rains and floodings, particularly floodings of people: the ultimate "others", namely the Mercurials, the border-crossers, the landless, the "lawless" (more precise: they don't bother much with human law but are eagerly curious after the laws of nature). Mercurials don't bother with orthodoxy or with national borders, only with what works (i.e. natural law) and the road ahead. Their interests are broad and their legacy global. They travel, and entertain, and renew and inspire. But they always move on.
The “sea peoples”?
yes, this probably especially coincides with the Phoenicians who were sea traders who's influence was just as widespread and mercurial as their ships were. There's some deep symbolism going on here, between international trade and the biblical concept of "knowledge", and I'm wondering about how things apply in Proverbs 31 when it's describing the ideal wife as a ship that brings back foreign riches... 🤔
abijah wrote: March 29th, 2024, 5:54 pm If the seas represent the unknown or the subconscious (no footing) and dry land the known or conscious (footing: Genesis 8:9, MATTHEW 14:26-31), then the earliest words had spontaneously distilled from vast mental swaths like mist from the ground (Genesis 2:6). Only when the first words had distilled within the complex interactions of vast populations of very early humans, modern man could begin to exist: "Then the Lord God formed man of dust from the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living being" (Genesis 2:7). Much later, God promised to Abraham that his offspring would be like that same dust of the earth (Genesis 13:16, see GALATIANS 3:9). Later still, he again gathered this Abrahamic "dust", and released once again within them the Holy Spirit (ACTS 2:4) and thus created again a living being (namely the Body of Christ, or εκκλεσια, ekklesia, the "called out").
Gen. 7
22 All in whose nostrils was the breath of life, of all that was in the dry land, died.

Is this referring to all those that had the word, or as referred to above, the Apollonians? Seems to be an association here between the living, those that had breath or the word, and the loss of it, as with the collapse of a certain tower called babel.

And in Acts 2:4, “spirit” is taken from the Greek Pneuma meaning, “spirit, wind, breath”.
In general I think "Apollonian" typically describes something that is orderly/structured, with clearly-defined rules, established borders and definitive categories -- a dominant aspect of what has historically made Western civilization great. I know that a common antithesis of Apollonian (at least in the arts and philosophy) is "Dionysian", which is more chaotic than orderly, more impulsive than deliberate, more emotional than rational, etc. "Mercurial" also makes sense though, especially in a context of fluidity and interface in between borders/categories, considering how apollonian order is established through walls, as opposed to the the hermetic/mercurial predilection for wall-hopping or boundary-skirting. I get the feeling Niemand might know more about this than I do though.
abijah wrote: March 29th, 2024, 5:54 pm In the New Testament, our nouns νεφος (nephos) and νεφελη (nephele) almost exclusively describe loose gatherings of human minds: so loose and vague that they merely hover over our cultures and don't lavish any of us with a systematic supply of instructions.
“Loose” meaning without any guiding principals or structure or bounds within which the minds can safely cultivate?
this is a really good question that cuts to the heart of this symbolism imo. It's a mystery I've given a lot of thought to and still haven't at all cracked yet, since it's a very complex thing. The basic framework is that people who are more ordered/structured-minded are typically more moral than those of a mercurial, and certainly a dionysian disposition. Because rules and boundaries are inextricably connected with morality, ever since God set primordial boundaries on fruit that is good to be eaten, and fruit that shouldn't be eaten - a clear defined partition. But it's a bit more nuanced than that, since the scriptures are full of juxtaposed examples of people who people who are destroyed for their mercuriality (like the pre-Flood party animals, probably derived from the inherently mercurial natures of the nephilim who spawned their culture). However, lots, perhaps even a majority of the significant figures in the scriptures have certain distinctive mercurial qualities to them. Noah is literally a bridge between worlds. Abraham left his family, city and homeland for a totally new thing. Moses was essentially part Hebrew and part Egyptian, with a major transition period in between. King David (the royal musician/entertainer) was as shifty, rhythmic and swerving as any cunning serpent, and Elijah (likely impulsively) struck the Baal priests with lightning (literally ⚡) cobra reflexes, and don't get me started on similarities between Elijah and Hermes, that post is coming eventually.

I hyperlinked this video to a specific section w/ David, but I reckon I should post the video in it's entirety, since it explains really well how God uses mercuriality typically in situations where there is an unjust tyranny/unrighteous dominion in place that God has an interest in toppling. In David's case this was the royal estate of Saul, a situation where Saul was the lawful appointed sovereign, but not the type of sovereignty that God could make an everlasting covenant with:
Likely the original heavenly emblem of mercuriality, the communication and interface between borders, was probably the seraphim angel Lucifer. I wonder if perhaps a big reason why God has a such a unique love for David is because he serves as a vivid, powerful replacement of the angelic son He had previously lost, the serpentine choirmaster musician of heaven, but thats just a speculation that came while writing this.
Dusty Wanderer wrote: April 1st, 2024, 3:36 pmAre these clouds similar to those that followed Israel by day during their sojourn in the wilderness?
Undoubtedly.
Dusty Wanderer wrote: April 1st, 2024, 3:36 pmOverall, fantastic post.

I’ve wondered about what the ideal societal, long-term living arrangement for humans waiting for the Lord to come again and establish His system (cities vs purely agrarian vs hunter/gatherer) — ie. best for our bodies, the land, the ecosystem, our daily reliance upon God, preparedness for catastrophes, etc. I can’t shake the idea that whatever it is, it would probably resemble a nomadic or migratory lifestyle than anything else. But I’m still sorting through that.
Me too. At the *moment* my conclusion is that the Luddite perspective is not correct. While we need to be prepared, we also need to be able to take technology (as well as it's bloated innovation) in due stride. Technology was a major factor that precipitated the Flood of Noah, but technology was also the means whereby Noah and a remnant were saved. The dynamic between the City and the Wilderness is so rich in symbolic meaning and personal application, I'm still barely getting a handle on it, and have been very humbled regarding any last-days frameworks I used to have, not because it doesn't matter, but because the eschatological rubric I've been using has needed a lot of much-needed calibration.
Last edited by abijah on April 5th, 2024, 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.