Sitting Together

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
Atrasado
captain of 1,000

Sitting Together

Post by Atrasado »

I found this discussion on r/exmormon to be interesting. The theory is that the wards and stakes that are shrinking want people to sit together so they close the curtains and don't allow seating in the overflow or the gym and that is driving even more people away from the Church. One woman stated,
As a TBM with a PIMO husband and three small kids, getting to church on time was hard. My mornings were spent running around getting everyone ready, including my husband who always dragged his feet. Crying kids, irritable husband, so much energy spent. I was trying my hardest to do what was “right” for my family. We were ALWAYS late, but we could sneak in and sit in the overflow without disturbing people.

Then they stopped opening the overflow.

Almost every Sunday for the next two years we were in the forier with several other families. We were lucky if we could sit. It was loud and we could barely hear the speakers. It was a total waste of my time and emotional energy to get everyone ready. I begged 2 bishops during that time to please have it open. It made no difference.

The other families eventually stopped coming. I held out until Christmas. Being shut out of the meeting for Christmas was the last straw. It wasn’t just that the overflow was closed (and locked) on one of the most important days of the year, it was the total disregard for the needs of the families who relied on it. That was the only way to be part of the meeting. My voice meant nothing when I tried to help them understand, and my family meant nothing.
I can see what she means. I HATE sitting towards the front, which is where my wife likes to sit. To have leadership that pushes that would be really hard on me.

Why are some leaders so deaf to the needs of others? It's puzzling to me.

A Disciple
captain of 100

Re: Sitting Together

Post by A Disciple »

This is a fair concern. It is socially uncomfortable to walk to the front of the chapel when the meeting has started. And getting young kids to church on time is desirable but often not always in the control of the parents.

tribrac
captain of 1,000

Post by tribrac »

A friend sits in the far back because she can't handle all the perfumes and colognes.

One of my kids was that way...the perfumes made her sick.

I skip Sunday School because of the smells, and the dank, stuffy room.

The church building uses the double door entry to prevent air exchange, so after they screwed all the windows shut, there is no fresh air in the buildings.

LostCreekAcres
captain of 100

Post by LostCreekAcres »

For me, I REALLY need personal boundaries. Love to hug family and friends, but not so much strangers. Remember a Relief Society meeting where the teacher wanted everyone to stand and hug each other. Ugh. Reeks of pretentiousness to me.
Same idea for me being made to sit in the front. I prefer 2-3 chairs between me and others at church. I always hated when Sunday School would insist on everyone getting up and moving to the front of the chapel for the lesson. Some folks just don't understand that not everyone is touchy feely.

InfoWarrior82
Level 34 Illuminated
Location: "There are 15 on the earth today, you can trust them completely." -President Nelson (Jan 2022)

Post by InfoWarrior82 »

Are they trying to get people sick?! (Sarcasm)

I'm old enough to remember when they were trying to social distance instead of cramming everyone like sardines.

kittycat51
captain of 1,000

Post by kittycat51 »

I like to sit in the back when it's "booster" time. I am so sensitive that I find myself reacting to people shedding. I will always be sick feeling 6-12 hours after church which lingers for a couple of days. It then gets better only to start all over again the following Sunday. I thought I was crazy until I started to read many other peoples similar reactions to shedding and feeling sick after being around vaxxed people for a bit.

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

PIMO?

Cruiserdude
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Cruiserdude »

marc wrote: February 12th, 2024, 12:40 pmPIMO?
Physically In, Mentally Out.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Reluctant Watchman »

Some of you non-front-row-sitters surely must quality as lazy learners.

Wolfwoman
captain of 1,000

Post by Wolfwoman »

Never heard of such a thing. Usually if you get there late and there is nowhere to sit, you go open the accordion doors yourself, set up your own chairs, and sit down. It’s a volunteer church after all.

Telavian
captain of 1,000

Post by Telavian »

Wolfwoman wrote: February 12th, 2024, 3:35 pm Never heard of such a thing. Usually if you get there late and there is nowhere to sit, you go open the accordion doors yourself, set up your own chairs, and sit down. It’s a volunteer church after all.
I have done that in the middle of church and it is quite a bit awkward.

Telavian
captain of 1,000

Post by Telavian »

For several years I have always sat on the second row. If show up late then we almost always sit in the front as much as possible.

Wolfwoman
captain of 1,000

Post by Wolfwoman »

Telavian wrote: February 12th, 2024, 3:42 pm
Wolfwoman wrote: February 12th, 2024, 3:35 pm Never heard of such a thing. Usually if you get there late and there is nowhere to sit, you go open the accordion doors yourself, set up your own chairs, and sit down. It’s a volunteer church after all.
I have done that in the middle of church and it is quite a bit awkward.
I’ve never thought it was awkward, but it’s probably always been done at an acceptable time like at the beginning of the meeting or after the sacrament when there is a natural break. People have always been glad to see more people coming to church. I haven’t felt unwanted. Sometimes the men will even help set up some chairs for you.

Lizzy60
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Lizzy60 »

The original poster said they locked the accordion doors.

I walked into the chapel for a special presentation by the Stake Relief Society and all the side pews were blocked off with instructions to sit in the middle section. I left and found a quiet place to read. When I went back near the end of the meeting all the tape was gone and the sisters were sitting throughout the room. Awesomeness!

HereWeGo
captain of 1,000

Post by HereWeGo »

If the accordion doors were locked, I would just go into the gym part and keep listening in there by myself.

Some of us sit on the back row of the gym so we can lean back on the metal chairs and be more comfortable.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Reluctant Watchman »

Do any of you guys have families with self-assigned seats in the chapel?

We attended a new ward once and were informed that we were sitting in the row where the single sisters were supposed to be. They were half joking. We have seen families consistently sit in the same row for years.

Lizzy60
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Lizzy60 »

Speaking of sitting in the same place in church — here is an almost unbelievable “small world” story.

We usually sat on a particular pew, and a family with a few small children sat behind us most times. We helped with the children if needed. The husband travelled on business so she was sometimes a bit overwhelmed if she had to take a child out. Stage set.

My brother was stationed with his family in South Korea with the Air Force. He came to San Antonio without his family for some training and drove to Ft Worth to spend the weekend with us. We sat in our normal pew in church, and our friends sat behind us.

Suddenly, the friends were completely gobsmacked! They tapped my brother on the shoulder and asked, what are you doing here? My brother was then also gobsmacked when he recognized the father of the family sitting behind us. They hugged! It was a bit crazy!!

About a month before, the husband/father had traveled to South Korea on business. He found an English-speaking servicemen’s ward to attend church. His wife said she was specifically praying that someone in the ward would invite him over after church because he was homesick and it would help him to be around another family.

Yes, my brother and his family did invite him and he spent a Sunday with some random member from the US.

And then they found themselves sitting in adjacent pews on the other side of the world the next month.

Wolfwoman
captain of 1,000

Post by Wolfwoman »

Lizzy60 wrote: February 12th, 2024, 6:58 pm
The original poster said they locked the accordion doors.

I walked into the chapel for a special presentation by the Stake Relief Society and all the side pews were blocked off with instructions to sit in the middle section. I left and found a quiet place to read. When I went back near the end of the meeting all the tape was gone and the sisters were sitting throughout the room. Awesomeness!
I know. I was just telling my own personal experience. Never seen them locked.

HereWeGo
captain of 1,000

Post by HereWeGo »

For over 6 years, we sat on the back bench, on the left side by the temperature controller. I was the ward clerk. The bishopric had requested that I sit there to keep the temperature down so they weren't sweating badly while on the stand. I usually arrived 25 minutes early to get that bench.

An old couple sat in the bench in front of me. When they were late getting to church they would walk up to their normal bench and looked puzzled that someone else was sitting there. It was as if someone was sitting in "their" bench.

BigT
captain of 100

Post by BigT »

Cruiserdude wrote: February 12th, 2024, 12:43 pm
marc wrote: February 12th, 2024, 12:40 pmPIMO?
Physically In, Mentally Out.
That was me, most of the years I went.

GeeR
captain of 1,000

Post by GeeR »

Man arrested for assault after saved seats taken at church

https://www.ksl.com/article/25842650/ma ... -at-church

LadyT
captain of 100

Post by LadyT »

They just started this in our ward. They want everyone to be together. We sat in the lobby for 2 weeks. I can't force myself to be packed in rows like sardines. It was fine the way it was before.

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: February 12th, 2024, 3:29 pm Some of you non-front-row-sitters surely must quality as lazy learners.
😁
My lazy guess would be that of the members that come to see it for what it is (cult etc), 92.7% of them were those who sat in the gym/overflow.

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

HereWeGo wrote: February 12th, 2024, 7:05 pm If the accordion doors were locked, I would just go into the gym part and keep listening in there by myself.

Some of us sit on the back row of the gym so we can lean back on the metal chairs and be more comfortable.
Some of us should bring blankets and pillows. 👍🏼😁

kittycat51
captain of 1,000

Post by kittycat51 »

Thinker wrote: February 13th, 2024, 11:10 pm
HereWeGo wrote: February 12th, 2024, 7:05 pm If the accordion doors were locked, I would just go into the gym part and keep listening in there by myself.

Some of us should bring blankets and pillows. 👍🏼😁
Hey I’ve been known to take a throw blanket now and then. I get cold really easy. 😂