Log Cabins

This is the place where you can discuss things completely Off Topic.
bbrown
captain of 100

Re: Log Cabins

Post by bbrown »

It’s an active construction site there is no getting away from tools, building materials, equipment etc until it’s finished. The house is gorgeous!

mudflap
captain of 1,000

Post by mudflap »

I'll let my wife know.... see if she agrees, ;)

mudflap
captain of 1,000

Post by mudflap »

Anybody see what my neighbor did wrong here:

We had some pretty stiff winds (60+ mph) the other night. My new metal porch roof didn't flap or budge or make any noise at all, but my neigbhor's carport got lifted and thrown 12' from the cinderblock wall he was using to support it:

he had rotator cuff surgery, so I'm going to help him rebuild - have to chip out all the cement from these blocks and clean them up, then I'm going to drill some holes in the footer and install some all-thread, making sure it sticks up above the first block, or maybe all the way up, I don't know, then bolt it down with some steel plates. I'll use rebar in the rest of the blocks, and end up with a nice solid wall, and bolt the bottom of the carport to the top of the block wall.

If you look close, you can see all thread sticking up out of the footer, but it's only about 5" tall - not high enough to reach up above the first row of block, and I think that's the problem. No nut or washer on top either - I think the guy helping him thought just having the allthread embedded in the concrete of the block was good enough. apparently not good enough for the wind we get around here.

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

mudflap wrote: February 15th, 2024, 7:58 am If you look close, you can see all thread sticking up out of the footer, but it's only about 5" tall - not high enough to reach up above the first row of block, and I think that's the problem.
Yeah, I noticed that. I was looking for rebars and all I saw were those short little things.