Does God have a physical body? (poll)

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.

Does God have a physical body?

Yes
70%
No
12%
Other (please explain)
18%

Total votes: 117
Alexander
the Great
Location: amongst the brotherhood of the Black Robed Regiment; cocked hat and cocked rifle

Re: Does God have a physical body? (poll)

Post by Alexander »

onefour1 wrote: February 11th, 2024, 7:01 pm In Luke 24 Jesus was quite clear when he taught his disciples that they had not seen a spirit and told them that spirit hath not flesh and bones as ye see me have.
Correct. Spirits of lower glory cannot be touched and felt with temporal flesh.
True our spirits are made up of spirit matter according to D&C 131 but the spirit body which is made of spirit matter never dies and already is immortal.
Correct, the spirit is endless and has always existed, and exists after it leaves the temporal body, and cannot be annihilated. But when the spirit enters into the temporal realm, it is dead, being cut off from the presence of God. The spirit is in essence dead (cannot progress) until it is raised to a higher state.
But when we speak of the resurrection, we are speaking of receiving bodies of flesh and bones again just as we have flesh and bones here on this earth.
It is flesh and bone; it is spirit; your spiritual flesh and spiritual bone of your spirit body, but glorified. I know you've probably had this idea since primary, but you need to break away from the "hand going back into a glove" paradigm; it's a misunderstanding. The resurrection of the just is the glorification of our spirit body.
Jesus allowed his disciples to touch and feel him and he even ate food with them.
Correct. It was a different type of resurrection than ours. There are various kinds. The resurrection of the just (baptism of fire and Holy Ghost), translation, translation of the temporal body after separation (like Christ), re-entering of the spirit into the temporal body (like Lazarus), transmigration, lateral renewal, condescension (being born in the womb), temporary condescension (like christ's at Bountiful), condescension into the garden (Adam and Eve), any event rising to a new rung/state of the everlasting covenant, etc. (as well as dark variants)
In this case Christ temporarily entered into the tabernacle, which he manipulated and healed and veiled his glory (if he didn't the earth would burn) to be amongst the disciples; like a translated body. When he was done with it it didn't arise with him. The resurrected body in which he presented himself to the Father wasn't the same he showed the the disciples. If it was, the earth would melt in his presence.
The body we are resurrected with is not the same as our spirit body.
Correct, because it has added glory. It is our spirit body more glorified and exalted; it's not the same as before. It's regenerated and brought to a higher level of existence, able to come back into the presence of God.
It is said to be a spiritual body because the life of the resurrected body is from the spirit and not from blood.
Yes, because blood is a specific attribute of the mortal body. The resurrected body does not use blood to function; it is filled with light and energy. The spirit flesh, spirit bone, spirit organs, is the spirit body, but with glory.
The quickening of our resurrected bodies is by the spirit which gives it life and thus it is a spiritual body.
Correct. The baptism of fire and the holy ghost quickens our inner man and resurrects our spirit body, being glorified; it is a spiritual body. It has the reception of the Holy Ghost which unites us to Christ.
The Lord is able to eventually make this earth a celestial kingdom and the matter of this earth will be changed.I don't think it impossible for God to raise up matter from this earth to be part of our immortal resurrected bodies. This is why they say our immortal bodies rise from the dead.
The earth's spirit is what is resurrected in the baptism of fire at the second coming; it leaves the old temporal shell and ascends closer to the realm of God. Whatever level of glory we have in the final judgment is where we end up. If we obtained the resurrection of the just (the baptism of fire and Holy Ghost) we rise with the Earth's glorified spirit. If we didn't, we remain on the old shell.
We rise from the dead because our spirits were dead when coming to earth; to be redeemed/born again is the resurrection of the just.
Acts 26:23
23 That Christ should suffer, and that he should be the first that should rise from the dead, and should shew light unto the people, and to the Gentiles.
yes

Niyr
captain of 100

Post by Niyr »

Shawn Henry wrote: February 10th, 2024, 8:08 pm
Niyr wrote: February 9th, 2024, 9:05 pm
Shawn Henry wrote: February 8th, 2024, 2:24 pm
The carnal flesh is the learning environment. It is the classroom where we have learned everything. All the attributes, qualities, and habits we have improved upon are all because of the flesh.

The flesh is the opposition in all things. It is the opposite of the spirit and stretches the spirit to grow and become more intelligent.
Wonder what all the resurrection fuss is then.
Imagine the resurrection being like High School graduation. You can stay with what you have achieved and forever hold your degree, or you can go back to more schooling and get a higher degree.
Then there wouldn't be any reason for resurrection to be made as big, important thing.

Shawn Henry
captain of 1,000

Post by Shawn Henry »

Niyr wrote: February 11th, 2024, 9:25 pm
Niyr wrote: February 9th, 2024, 9:05 pm

Wonder what all the resurrection fuss is then.
Imagine the resurrection being like High School graduation. You can stay with what you have achieved and forever hold your degree, or you can go back to more schooling and get a higher degree.
Then there wouldn't be any reason for resurrection to be made as big, important thing.
Any time you enter a mortal probation and make any amount of eternal progression would be important. Don't assume it's just a steppingstone. I bet there are many who use their agency to stay where they are at and choose to be one with God and never enter another probation again, just as some never plan on going to school again after High School. Therefore, it is important to them.

Niyr
captain of 100

Post by Niyr »

Shawn Henry wrote: February 11th, 2024, 10:31 pm
Any time you enter a mortal probation and make any amount of eternal progression would be important. Don't assume it's just a steppingstone. I bet there are many who use their agency to stay where they are at and choose to be one with God and never enter another probation again, just as some never plan on going to school again after High School. Therefore, it is important to them.
That's not the perspective of which those scriptures are written, of someone not wanting to progress further.
Last edited by Niyr on February 12th, 2024, 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Reluctant Watchman »

I believe we can be “one” with God… yet still not achieve an exalted state. God will not force nor compel anyone to progress. But I do frequently see invitations to overcome fallen or lower states of existence and become as God is.

I still don’t see the repeat cycles of resurrection playing out on an endless loop.

Shawn Henry
captain of 1,000

Post by Shawn Henry »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: February 12th, 2024, 8:31 am

I believe we can be “one” with God… yet still not achieve an exalted state. God will not force nor compel anyone to progress. But I do frequently see invitations to overcome fallen or lower states of existence and become as God is.

I still don’t see the repeat cycles of resurrection playing out on an endless loop.
Is there any other way to overcome the flesh than being in the mortal flesh. Can you improve your football skills by playing basketball?

There's not much about the mortal flesh that relates to being in heaven where no unclean thing dwells. That means no temptations of any kind, right? Overcoming the flesh is put on hold unless you come back to mortality.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Shawn Henry wrote: February 12th, 2024, 10:21 am

Is there any other way to overcome the flesh than being in the mortal flesh. Can you improve your football skills by playing basketball?

There's not much about the mortal flesh that relates to being in heaven where no unclean thing dwells. That means no temptations of any kind, right? Overcoming the flesh is put on hold unless you come back to mortality.
Christ overcame the flesh by becoming perfected in body and spirit. A true exalted Being.

I also think there's a lot in this realm that can aid in our connection with or understanding of Heaven. (e.g. the law of correspondence) I do believe that decisions could be made in heaven that either brought about our continued exaltation or brought about condemnation (ie Lucifer).

Telavian
captain of 1,000

Post by Telavian »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: February 12th, 2024, 11:05 am I also think there's a lot in this realm that can aid in our connection with or understanding of Heaven. (e.g. the law of correspondence) I do believe that decisions could be made in heaven that either brought about our continued exaltation or brought about condemnation (ie Lucifer).
If this is true then we could have stayed in heaven for as long as possible, come to earth to receive a body, and just promptly jump off a cliff. If we can progress in heaven then we really should have as much as possible.

Earth is the ultimate test of what we really want. We are away from God and constantly bedazzled with eternally pointless things. We have to daily make a choice. There is no way there is an equivalent outside of mortality.

Since there is no equivalent outside of mortality then we have to either fully progress to God in mortality, be allowed multiple mortalities, or be permanently barred from God at some level. Since time is infinite then if we could take the easy route to God, then everyone would have already done it.

Telavian
captain of 1,000

Post by Telavian »

Niyr wrote: February 12th, 2024, 8:28 am

That's not the perspective of which those scriptures are written, of someone not wanting to progress further.
You base this on what observation?

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Telavian wrote: February 12th, 2024, 11:28 am
Reluctant Watchman wrote: February 12th, 2024, 11:05 am I also think there's a lot in this realm that can aid in our connection with or understanding of Heaven. (e.g. the law of correspondence) I do believe that decisions could be made in heaven that either brought about our continued exaltation or brought about condemnation (ie Lucifer).
If this is true then we could have stayed in heaven for as long as possible, come to earth to receive a body, and just promptly jump off a cliff. If we can progress in heaven then we really should have as much as possible.

Earth is the ultimate test of what we really want. We are away from God and constantly bedazzled with eternally pointless things. We have to daily make a choice. There is no way there is an equivalent outside of mortality.

Since there is no equivalent outside of mortality then we have to either fully progress to God in mortality, be allowed multiple mortalities, or be permanently barred from God at some level. Since time is infinite then if we could take the easy route to God, then everyone would have already done it.
I didn't say all decisions or progression could happen in heaven. Do you not believe a "war" took place in heaven and that you chose Christ's role as Savior over Lucifer's desires? Decisions were made. Mortality is a place of learning and testing that couldn't happen in any other sphere, or at least it was chosen as the best place for this learning to occur. So I do agree with you.

Telavian
captain of 1,000

Post by Telavian »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: February 12th, 2024, 11:33 am I didn't say all decisions or progression could happen in heaven. Do you not believe a "war" took place in heaven and that you chose Christ's role as Savior over Lucifer's desires? Decisions were made. Mortality is a place of learning and testing that couldn't happen in any other sphere, or at least it was chosen as the best place for this learning to occur. So I do agree with you.
I don't think a "war" happened at least as much as the LDS church understands it. If a war did happen then we would had to have known good from evil to correctly make a choice. Otherwise how could God have justly punished anyone? If we knew good from evil then how was this when there was no evil to know?

Can you accurately make a choice against God's will when all you have ever known is God's will? It would be like me deciding reality is not real and then being divinely punished for that. There is a lot that we don't understand. Yet the LDS church wraps it up in a pretty bow and claims it is all solved.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Telavian wrote: February 12th, 2024, 11:36 am
Reluctant Watchman wrote: February 12th, 2024, 11:33 am I didn't say all decisions or progression could happen in heaven. Do you not believe a "war" took place in heaven and that you chose Christ's role as Savior over Lucifer's desires? Decisions were made. Mortality is a place of learning and testing that couldn't happen in any other sphere, or at least it was chosen as the best place for this learning to occur. So I do agree with you.
I don't think a "war" happened at least as much as the LDS church understands it. If a war did happen then we would had to have known good from evil to correctly make a choice. Otherwise how could God have justly punished anyone? If we knew good from evil then how was this when there was no evil to know?

Can you accurately make a choice against God's will when all you have ever known is God's will? It would be like me deciding reality is not real and then being divinely punished for that. There is a lot that we don't understand. Yet the LDS church wraps it up in a pretty bow and claims it is all solved.
I believe we had some awareness of that in Heaven. Even if that was simply to follow God, because God chose Christ's role as Savior and rejected Lucifer's desire for dominion. I also believe that Lucifer did not give up those desires easily.

Shawn Henry
captain of 1,000

Post by Shawn Henry »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: February 12th, 2024, 11:05 am

Christ overcame the flesh by becoming perfected in body and spirit. A true exalted Being.

I also think there's a lot in this realm that can aid in our connection with or understanding of Heaven. (e.g. the law of correspondence) I do believe that decisions could be made in heaven that either brought about our continued exaltation or brought about condemnation (ie Lucifer).
My comments were on us overcoming the flesh, we all already know Jesus has. Care to respond to what I actually wrote?

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Shawn Henry wrote: February 12th, 2024, 12:17 pm

My comments were on us overcoming the flesh, we all already know Jesus has. Care to respond to what I actually wrote?
Nope, not really. I've had a hard time trying to follow your logic/reasoning for quite a few comments.
Last edited by Reluctant Watchman on February 12th, 2024, 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Telavian
captain of 1,000

Post by Telavian »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: February 12th, 2024, 11:45 am I believe we had some awareness of that in Heaven. Even if that was simply to follow God, because God chose Christ's role as Savior and rejected Lucifer's desire for dominion. I also believe that Lucifer did not give up those desires easily.
Satan was rejected supposedly before mortality and cast out. However he could easily waltz into the garden and tempt Adam and Eve without a care in the world. He then was also part of God's divine council still and could consult with God about Job. He will then still retain whatever power he has until the end of the millennium where humanity will again reject God.

I think there is a lot that we don't know.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Telavian wrote: February 12th, 2024, 12:19 pm
Reluctant Watchman wrote: February 12th, 2024, 11:45 am I believe we had some awareness of that in Heaven. Even if that was simply to follow God, because God chose Christ's role as Savior and rejected Lucifer's desire for dominion. I also believe that Lucifer did not give up those desires easily.
Satan was rejected supposedly before mortality and cast out. However he could easily waltz into the garden and tempt Adam and Eve without a care in the world. He then was also part of God's divine council still and could consult with God about Job. He will then still retain whatever power he has until the end of the millennium where humanity will again reject God.

I think there is a lot that we don't know.
God allowed for opposition. Satan provides that opposition here in mortality as well. At some point he will be bound by the righteousness of the people, they will choose righteousness over wickedness. There will eventually be a few who decided wickedness is better toward the end of the Millenium.

I'm not sure where you're going with that comment about Job and Satan being part of God's council. God allowed temptation. Also, much of the OT is symbolic as far as man's ability to overcome evil or temptations.

Shawn Henry
captain of 1,000

Post by Shawn Henry »

Option A: Die one day after birth and attain everything the Father has to offer.

Option B: Suffer a long miserable life and attain everything the Father has to offer.

Why would anyone choose option B? There's a logical hole you could drive a Mack truck through.

Telavian
captain of 1,000

Post by Telavian »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: February 12th, 2024, 12:22 pm God allowed for opposition. Satan provides that opposition here in mortality as well. At some point he will be bound by the righteousness of the people, they will choose righteousness over wickedness. There will eventually be a few who decided wickedness is better toward the end of the Millenium.

I'm not sure where you're going with that comment about Job and Satan being part of God's council. God allowed temptation. Also, much of the OT is symbolic as far as man's ability to overcome evil or temptations.
You are echoing the LDS narrative which has no basis in scripture. The entire concept of Satan as being a literal person is a Christian invention. No where in the Hebrew or Greek text is a single being identified. Certainly, part of God's divine council thought a different course of action was better. They didn't want a partnership with humanity.

https://jewishencyclopedia.com/articles/13219-satan

Shawn Henry
captain of 1,000

Post by Shawn Henry »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: February 12th, 2024, 12:19 pm

Nope, not really. I've had a hard time trying to follow your logic/reasoning for quite a few comments.
Really!!!

You couldn't understand the following: Is there any other way to overcome the flesh than being in the mortal flesh. Can you improve your football skills by playing basketball?

You mean you couldn't follow it, or you choose not to because you know you have no sufficient counterargument?

I can make it simpler to understand. Mortality is about overcoming adversity. There is no adversity in heaven. You therefore stop overcoming adversity because there isn't any.

Look how short those sentences are. I know you now understand.

Telavian
captain of 1,000

Post by Telavian »

Shawn Henry wrote: February 12th, 2024, 12:31 pm Option A: Die one day after birth and attain everything the Father has to offer.

Option B: Suffer a long miserable life and attain everything the Father has to offer.

Why would anyone choose option B? There's a logical hole you could drive a Mack truck through.
I have always thought this was strange because if I drive a bus of preschoolers off a cliff then I am somehow guaranteeing the exaltation of 50+ people. How is this a bad thing eternally?

A common response is that you are taking away "agency" however this is silly. How can anything ever take away agency at any time. We all will always have agency to move up or down the ascension ladder at any time.

Niyr
captain of 100

Post by Niyr »

Niyr wrote: February 12th, 2024, 8:28 am
You base this on what observation?
Reading. Understanding syntax. Context clues. Stuff learned before kindergarten.

Telavian
captain of 1,000

Post by Telavian »

Niyr wrote: February 12th, 2024, 1:04 pm Reading. Understanding syntax. Context clues. Stuff learned before kindergarten.
This is what everyone claims and yet they reach different conclusions.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Shawn Henry wrote: February 12th, 2024, 12:31 pm

Option A: Die one day after birth and attain everything the Father has to offer.

There are so many more possibilities.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Shawn Henry wrote: February 12th, 2024, 12:38 pm
Reluctant Watchman wrote: February 12th, 2024, 12:19 pm
Really!!!

You couldn't understand the following: Is there any other way to overcome the flesh than being in the mortal flesh. Can you improve your football skills by playing basketball?

You mean you couldn't follow it, or you choose not to because you know you have no sufficient counterargument?

I can make it simpler to understand. Mortality is about overcoming adversity. There is no adversity in heaven. You therefore stop overcoming adversity because there isn't any.

Look how short those sentences are. I know you now understand.
Look, we've come to an impasse. I don't agree with your line of reason and beliefs. It's that simple. I don't follow or agree with much of your logic. That's all. I don't have to retort with a counterargument every time.

I believe that there was adversity in heaven. There. See, we disagree.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Telavian wrote: February 12th, 2024, 12:35 pm
Reluctant Watchman wrote: February 12th, 2024, 12:22 pm God allowed for opposition. Satan provides that opposition here in mortality as well. At some point he will be bound by the righteousness of the people, they will choose righteousness over wickedness. There will eventually be a few who decided wickedness is better toward the end of the Millenium.

You are echoing the LDS narrative which has no basis in scripture. The entire concept of Satan as being a literal person is a Christian invention. No where in the Hebrew or Greek text is a single being identified. Certainly, part of God's divine council thought a different course of action was better. They didn't want a partnership with humanity.

https://jewishencyclopedia.com/articles/13219-satan
Scripture that you choose to neither read nor ponder on. That would be a more accurate statement. This idea is not novel to the LDS religion. Also, Joseph wasn't smoking wacky weed and coming up with false dogmas all the time. He may actually have gotten a few things right.