Contention and Shills

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
Good & Global
captain of 1,000

Re: Contention and Shills

Post by Good & Global »

In the words of Hinckley to the missionaries: You may not be much to look at but you are all we got.

I view people who try to commicate on this forum, with odds so stacked against them, trying to bring the world His truth. There may be many defintions of that but these people are part of the effort of humanity to overcome the lies and deception of Satan to be free. We are told by the Savior - the truth will set us free. People who spend time to read or post here I feel are part of that effort.

Alexander
the Great
Location: amongst the brotherhood of the Black Robed Regiment; cocked hat and cocked rifle

Post by Alexander »

Serragon
captain of 1,000

Post by Serragon »

I find that I appreciate everyone who posts here. I want people around who will make the best arguments on any side of an issue so they can be honestly evaluated.

RosyPosy
captain of 100

Post by RosyPosy »

I use stoicism, to me Christ is the ultimate stoic. I prefer to be logical and not let passions sway my decisions. I find some are so rooted and engrained in their beliefs that any response would be just wear and tear of my keyboard.

Good & Global
captain of 1,000

Post by Good & Global »

Following Christ can be like enlightened Stoicism.

Sometimes we do things because of principle without the certainty of church culture backing us up.

For me, I think of it as being loyal to the truth. Christ is the truth.
The church can tell me all manner of falsehood but do I feel it is the truth. Only that will I follow.

How many times have church leaders been wrong? The Book of Mormon says we can't be saved in ignorance.
So is following something wrong going to save us? Somehow we have to learn the truth on our own whether it is times of shade with the church or the scorching sun of adversity when we stand without our fellow tribesman.

farmerchick
captain of 1,000

Post by farmerchick »

Opposition in all things pretty much sums it up....the more the merrier I say......some posters I just roll and scroll....nothing of value to be had....there are always those whose posts drip with arrogance and seem to exude an abormally high level of esteem for themselves.....they come off as the smartest best looking in the room...except it's an anonymous forum and no way for them to really show off their good looks....lol.......the reality is they are prolly in their mothers basement in their underwear........lol.....that's the beauty of ldsff....

Momma J
captain of 1,000

Post by Momma J »

TheDuke wrote: June 6th, 2023, 1:55 pm Good question in the OP. I have some cabbage looking weed in my yard. I'm not a faithful gardener. My wife tries to be. I just keep doing the yard work. Occasionally I will (unsuccessfully) try to root out the blackberries and vines. But, just cut the rest. Well, I went to mow the yard a couple of weeks back and noticed the cabbage looking things had taken over half of my side yard and were here and there. I mowed them all down and went to Utah to help kids move. Now I come back and need to mow. Those things are everywhere. So, I get to the front yard yesterday and pluck them out by the roots.

I tell my wife to take the morning hours off today (too hot mid-day) and help me pluck the back yard and start the side yard. I don't figure that I can leave them here any more. It isn't that I hate the little weeds, or that some get real tall real quick. They aren't like the blackberries that grow fast then stab you all the time. It is that the "INFEST" and take over everything. I just cannot find the lawn beneath them. So, I have taken another approach I am searching and destroying them so they don't take over EVERYTHING I own.

Also, last year we had a tremendous stink bug explosion. They came from our forest and then the neighbors cut down, maybe 15 trees (lot in a neighborhood). They were everywhere. I would kill 15-20 a day. Terrible they stink when you kill them. If you flush them, they get expensive given our water rates. I saw over 100 sitting on the north wall of my house one day. I sprayed them with the hose, but they came back. Since then, I killed 3-10 every day. Then, in the winter, I started seeing then in several places. Turns out they'd sneaked in and nested in areas. One place in my attic near a light and heat source; under my couch in the living room by the furnace vent and window; above a cabinet in the kitchen (inaccessible); by my window in the garage; and by two windows in my large shed. When I found the nests, I exterminated them best I could. Still killing some, but only stragglers. I can deal with one or two, they don't want to take over, but the swarms want to take over and kill everything around them. I read in Switzerland they destroyed most the crops and flowers; same up north in NA and back east. They are from China and you cannot kill them with insecticide.

So, that is the dilemma to me. I don't mind a few shills to make noise, I try to ignore them. There are a few people here I disagree with, but they aren't shills (RW is one) they have their true and honest beliefs but seem to want to tear things down. I often engage but only to balance the scales against their opinions so others of weak mind will not blindly fall into their trap. Now if they go into a trap willingly, not my problem. but lately there have been a couple of truly anti-Mormon, anti-LDS, and seemingly anti-Christians on the forum. but unlike the others before, they are prolific, like my cabbage weeds and my stink bugs. Not content on making a noise but for some reason to destroy everything around them. Posting to every topic with just inane nonsense.

What are the Huron to do? Famous quote from JFC's "Last of the Mohicans"? I try to ignore them. They cannot reason with logic. They hate everything LDS FF's centric members accept (Jesus, JS, BoM, HG).

Perhaps they will settle back having had their time. Perhaps they will destroy the forum to their liking as it seems Biden is doing to America; unlike his predecessors who only wanted power and control and money, Biden seems to want to just flat out destroy America; take away freedom and the rule of law; institute a new regime, but w/o a full out civil war..

Maybe the same thing here?
Duke you are very much like my older brother, Whom I adore. While I am on my knees in prayer, he is slaying the enemy. He claims that we are different fronts against the same enemy... yet, I appreciate his forthright approach. Thank you for squishing the bugs and pulling out the weeds. We need more warriors such as yourself.

mudflap
captain of 1,000

Post by mudflap »

Momma J wrote: June 6th, 2023, 6:47 am Every walk of life.... every corner you turn... every gathering... every website... every classroom.... etc

Is peppered with evil personas masquerading as ambassadors of good and higher knowledge. The first sign for me is their willingness to belittle others. Good does not need to trample those attempting to learn. Good will find a way to inspire, to lift up, to teach in such a way as to boost the morale and strengthen souls in the lambs.
well.........

Almost every gathering / website

except this one: https://community.loghomebuilders.org/

I've been a member for 7 years now, and I was a lurker for at least 10 years before that. I've never seen ANY trolls or shills or belittling or put-downs. There is some healthy ribbing, joking, lots of poking fun at all kinds of things, not all log cabin related - but no heated arguments, no accusations. I don't know how to describe it, but everyone on there is trying to accomplish one thing: build a log home. I've asked the moderator about it, but he says everyone just seems to police themselves.

Everyone roots for each other's "small wins". Everyone commiserates with everyone's losses. Everyone accepts that there's more than one way to accomplish the same thing. We all seem to disagree "agreeably" on certain ways to do things - there's the "block & tackle" club vs the "telehandler" club; the "gutters are necessary" vs the "gutters are ugly" clubs, but it's all in fun - no one is so entrenched in their ideas that they can't laugh at themselves.

It could be a model for every forum, and it's weird that it isn't duplicated anywhere.

Luke
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Luke »

Shawn Henry wrote: June 6th, 2023, 12:37 pm
Luke wrote: June 6th, 2023, 6:52 amSuch as?
I did not get the impression that you were referenced.

I think all know here, whether you are right or wrong, you are at least honest and sincere.
I didn’t necessarily think I was being referenced. But I was curious as to whom the OP was referencing.

CaptainM
captain of 100

Post by CaptainM »

Luke wrote: June 7th, 2023, 6:57 am
Shawn Henry wrote: June 6th, 2023, 12:37 pm
Luke wrote: June 6th, 2023, 6:52 amSuch as?
I did not get the impression that you were referenced.

I think all know here, whether you are right or wrong, you are at least honest and sincere.
I didn’t necessarily think I was being referenced. But I was curious as to whom the OP was referencing.
Shawn is right. I can understand your curiosity. However, I don't want to indicate any further some one that annoys; as that would truly lead into bona fide contention.

Ymarsakar
captain of 1,000

Post by Ymarsakar »

Let the Veil of heyl-el descend upon this thread and cloud the minds of men and women. Amen to that

It would also be a violation of forum rules to launch personal attacks of that nature. A side comment in an argument deep inside a thread is understandable, but making an entire thread about it is beginning to test the boundaries.

tmac
captain of 1,000

Post by tmac »

farmerchick wrote: June 7th, 2023, 12:06 am Opposition in all things pretty much sums it up....the more the merrier I say......some posters I just roll and scroll....nothing of value to be had....there are always those whose posts drip with arrogance and seem to exude an abormally high level of esteem for themselves.....they come off as the smartest best looking in the room...except it's an anonymous forum and no way for them to really show off their good looks....lol.......the reality is they are prolly in their mothers basement in their underwear........lol.....that's the beauty of ldsff....
Things on LDSFF seem to be in one of those phases right at this point where it seems like it might be worth taking about a month's vacation, and check back to see how things are looking at that point. If everyone did that, some people would only have themselves to talk to, and it might get a little old after a while.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

The Ontario bot is caught reposting internet mush on this forum.

viewtopic.php?t=66286

FrankOne
captain of 1,000

Post by FrankOne »

mudflap wrote: June 7th, 2023, 6:23 am
Momma J wrote: June 6th, 2023, 6:47 am Every walk of life.... every corner you turn... every gathering... every website... every classroom.... etc

Is peppered with evil personas masquerading as ambassadors of good and higher knowledge. The first sign for me is their willingness to belittle others. Good does not need to trample those attempting to learn. Good will find a way to inspire, to lift up, to teach in such a way as to boost the morale and strengthen souls in the lambs.
well.........

I've been a member for 7 years now, and I was a lurker for at least 10 years before that. I've never seen ANY trolls or shills or belittling or put-downs. There is some healthy ribbing, joking, lots of poking fun at all kinds of things, not all log cabin related - but no heated arguments, no accusations. I don't know how to describe it, but everyone on there is trying to accomplish one thing: build a log home. I've asked the moderator about it, but he says everyone just seems to police themselves.

Everyone roots for each other's "small wins". Everyone commiserates with everyone's losses. Everyone accepts that there's more than one way to accomplish the same thing. We all seem to disagree "agreeably" on certain ways to do things - there's the "block & tackle" club vs the "telehandler" club; the "gutters are necessary" vs the "gutters are ugly" clubs, but it's all in fun - no one is so entrenched in their ideas that they can't laugh at themselves.

It could be a model for every forum, and it's weird that it isn't duplicated anywhere.
an observation.

there's a saying that goes for discussions in bars:

"Never discuss religion or politics."

Why? because when people get drunk and then get agitated in a discussion, it could easily go to fists.

LDSFF is mostly a forum of religion and politics.

FrankOne
captain of 1,000

Post by FrankOne »

farmerchick wrote: June 7th, 2023, 12:06 am Opposition in all things pretty much sums it up....the more the merrier I say......some posters I just roll and scroll....nothing of value to be had....there are always those whose posts drip with arrogance and seem to exude an abormally high level of esteem for themselves.....they come off as the smartest best looking in the room...except it's an anonymous forum and no way for them to really show off their good looks....lol.......the reality is they are prolly in their mothers basement in their underwear........lol.....that's the beauty of ldsff....
I wonder if the above is in reference to me . My posting this does demonstrate a certain insecurity in my position, but I am mildly handsome. My mom told me I am :D

ah.....well..... .the human condition. hahahaha

mudflap
captain of 1,000

Post by mudflap »

FrankOne wrote: June 7th, 2023, 10:29 am
mudflap wrote: June 7th, 2023, 6:23 am

well.........

an observation.

there's a saying that goes for discussions in bars:

"Never discuss religion or politics."

Why? because when people get drunk and then get agitated in a discussion, it could easily go to fists.

LDSFF is mostly a forum of religion and politics.
so true. probably why the log cabin folks never argue.

What's weird is that some folks can be "religiously attached" to a method of building - just like a religion - but yet on that particular forum, they don't devolve into troll-like behavior. Other log cabin groups (like on fb) devolve daily. I suspect it's because we all paid $500 - $700 to join, maybe. Don't get any ideas, Mr. Creator, sir. ;)

so I don't know, but yes, LDSFF is all about religion and politics.

Carry on.

mudflap
captain of 1,000

Post by mudflap »

Alexander wrote: June 6th, 2023, 6:30 pm Image
good one.

or there's this one:

Momma J
captain of 1,000

Post by Momma J »

FrankOne wrote: June 7th, 2023, 10:40 am
I wonder if the above is in reference to me . My posting this does demonstrate a certain insecurity in my position, but I am mildly handsome. My mom told me I am :D

:lol: Very handsome, I am sure... As for me, I feel pretty...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voufbcx2nRI&t=6s

creator
(of the Forum)

Post by creator »

Niemand wrote: June 7th, 2023, 10:20 am The Ontario bot is caught reposting internet mush on this forum.
No posts from Ontario in almost a year.

creator
(of the Forum)

Post by creator »

mudflap wrote: June 7th, 2023, 11:40 am..I suspect it's because we all paid $500 - $700 to join, maybe. Don't get any ideas, Mr. Creator, sir. ;)
I'll be looking for your check in the mail. :)

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

creator wrote: June 7th, 2023, 2:30 pm
Niemand wrote: June 7th, 2023, 10:20 am The Ontario bot is caught reposting internet mush on this forum.
I thought you'd blocked him.

creator
(of the Forum)

Post by creator »

Niemand wrote: June 7th, 2023, 2:50 pm
creator wrote: June 7th, 2023, 2:30 pm
I thought you'd blocked him.
Yeah, I just wondered why Ontario got mentioned when that was dealt with almost a year ago 8-)

DivineSpark
captain of 50

Post by DivineSpark »

I've only blocked a couple of people, just personal preferences.

I tend to be too self-critical of my writing to post more often.

farmerchick
captain of 1,000

Post by farmerchick »

FrankOne wrote: June 7th, 2023, 10:40 am

Not necessarily....lol....but good for you on the handsome part....and mothers know!!!

Good & Global
captain of 1,000

Post by Good & Global »

I try to not argue with people on here as it wouldn't be a fair battle of wits.

That reminds me where is mom with my chicken nuggets?!