Is there anyone that has a place I could stay in Salt Lake City for the Summer ?

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Is there anyone that has a place I could stay in Salt Lake City for the Summer ?

Post by David13 »

Being There wrote: May 5th, 2023, 8:15 pm
tmac wrote: May 5th, 2023, 10:33 am I was going to reach out via PM to see what I could do to help, but I haven’t made it to town/bank yet.

In the meantime, I have a question: Can you and your whole family cross the border without any issue(s)/problem(s)?
well thank you.
Whatever you could do to help us with our current living circumstance
would be great.

To answer your question directly - yes,
but we've kinda ran into a snag.

We are all U.S. citizens - with U.S. passports - so that's not a problem.
But I kind of just found out - that our passports have expired while we've been here -
and from what I've learned - you can't return to the U.S. with expired passports.
I didn't really know that or expected that that was the case.

So the problem is - right now -
is the money it takes to renew our passports.
And from what I have found - its about $200. for each passport. (total $800. )
and takes 4 to 6 weeks.

So that's the only problem I can think of - with entering back into the U.S..

This issue just came up with me. Their website seems to say that if your passport is expired, you will need some other type of verification that you were born in the USA. Id est, birth certificate.

You could also apply for a passport card, for ground crossing into the US.

But all the info I'm getting from the border says you only need a driver's license to enter. I think tho' they mean these new "real" driver's licenses, such as Utah now has. I guess these show your citizenship or something. I don't think California has complied with this new "real" id law, tho'.
dc

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Is there anyone that has a place I could stay in Salt Lake City for the Summer ?

Post by David13 »

I also want to address this idea that you can deposit money into some one else's bank account. I don't know you can. I think the banks don't allow it.

Once upon a time a bank v.p. explained to me that his bank didn't allow it, as you might have a check, nsf, but only by a few dollars, and the drawer intends to not let you cash it, by having nsf.

But only by a few dollars. Thus, you deposit the few dollars, and cash the check. Against the wishes of the drawer of the check.

I don't know. Might better check with the bank or cu first.
dc

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

David13 wrote: May 5th, 2023, 10:42 pm I also want to address this idea that you can deposit money into some one else's bank account. I don't know you can. I think the banks don't allow it.
When I lived in Washington, Utah, my landlord (who lived in Texas) gave me enough info for me to go to a local bank every month and deposit the rent money in his account.

I had a friend who occasionally would make a deposit to a lady's account (her money) when she didn't want to make the nearly hour trip to town just to do that (I think he would usually be coming to town anyway, so it wasn't a big deal for him to do that for her).

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

David13 wrote: May 5th, 2023, 10:42 pm Once upon a time a bank v.p. explained to me that his bank didn't allow it, as you might have a check, nsf, but only by a few dollars, and the drawer intends to not let you cash it, by having nsf.

But only by a few dollars. Thus, you deposit the few dollars, and cash the check. Against the wishes of the drawer of the check.

I don't know. Might better check with the bank or cu first.
dc
Good point to check first, but I've never had a problem depositing cash into someone else's account. But, then, I was never asking for cash back. Obviously, they should refuse to do that since it isn't your account!

In my experience, some banks don't like you to deposit checks written to someone into their account without them signing it. Others don't care if it is written on the back "For deposit only".

I tried to deposit my spouse's check into a bank. He told me to sign it for him, so I did. They said the signature didn't match his. It was going into his bank account!! I told them he told me to sign it, and that he was my husband. They didn't care. So I went to the night deposit and deposited it that way.

Being There
captain of 1,000

Post by Being There »

tmac wrote: May 5th, 2023, 10:33 am I was going to reach out via PM to see what I could do to help, but I haven’t made it to town/bank yet.

In the meantime, I have a question: Can you and your whole family cross the border without any issue(s)/problem(s)?
so tmac
haven't heard back from you at all.

any thoughts ?

tmac
captain of 1,000

Post by tmac »

David13 wrote: May 5th, 2023, 10:38 pm

well thank you.
would be great.

But I kind of just found out - that our passports have expired while we've been here -
and from what I've learned - you can't return to the U.S. with expired passports.

and takes 4 to 6 weeks.

This issue just came up with me. Their website seems to say that if your passport is expired, you will need some other type of verification that you were born in the USA. Id est, birth certificate.

But all the info I'm getting from the border says you only need a driver's license to enter. I think tho' they mean these new "real" driver's licenses, such as Utah now has. I guess these show your citizenship or something. I don't think California has complied with this new "real" id law, tho'.
dc
Thoughts. Hmm. That’s why I asked if you guys could cross the border without issues. My thought was that it might be a good idea to do that, and maybe we could help. But once you said you’re kind of stuck until you get passports renewed, I kind of ran out of ideas. And, I’ve been really busy. But, thanks for the reminder. I’ll try to PM you.

Being There
captain of 1,000

Post by Being There »

tmac wrote: May 16th, 2023, 7:02 pm
David13 wrote: May 5th, 2023, 10:38 pm

well thank you.
would be great.

and takes 4 to 6 weeks.

dc
Thoughts. Hmm. That’s why I asked if you guys could cross the border without issues. My thought was that it might be a good idea to do that, and maybe we could help. But once you said you’re kind of stuck until you get passports renewed, I kind of ran out of ideas. And, I’ve been really busy. But, thanks for the reminder. I’ll try to PM you.
ok thanks

Good & Global
captain of 1,000

Post by Good & Global »

The issue with crossing the border with an expired passport is that you cannot be denied if you are a US citizen and can verify your identity/citizenship status.
However the expired passport by itself cannot be used as it is not considered valid due to a rule change in 2022.

https://www.state.gov/extension-of-temp ... assport-2/

So if you have a US driver's license that is current etc they can probably use that. I am not sure how border crossings work at non approved entry stations.
It might be dangerous just choosing some random place as cartels and other criminals make money off of people crossing as well as people defending the border, etc.

Good & Global
captain of 1,000

Post by Good & Global »

So I am revisiting this topic on behalf of Being There a member of our forum.

It seems to me the best approach and really for all of us is always maintain 3 things whether in country or out.
We do not know what times ahead will look like and we are in a period of peace right now. Easier to get the stuff done.

1) Valid or Non-Expired Passport (nice to have another if possible Driver's License, Birth Certificate, Social Security Card)
2) Phone Number in US or Country of Origin
3) Temporary/Receiving Address in Country of Origin

I think working towards these items would be helpful in whatever it is you decide to do Being There.

Good & Global
captain of 1,000

Post by Good & Global »

You may want to since it sounds you have been there for several years is apply for dual citizenship.
Both the US and Mexico allow it. You do not want to lose any non-expired form of ID you have.

https://wise.com/us/blog/how-to-get-cit ... -in-mexico

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_vMEM5mJUw

Print this form off for Mexican citizenship

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1USdJJm ... q56EU/view

Being There
captain of 1,000

Post by Being There »

so it's 90 degrees in my house right now !

I live upstairs, and the roof and whole house are made out of concrete -
and absorbs the heat of the sun all day, and then keeps the heat
and says hot all night - taking all night to cool down.

After finding no relief, I finally laid down and fell asleep on the tile floor,
but it really didn't help much.
I think my body was over heating, so I got into the shower and cooled off.
It seemed to help.

Does anyone know if spraying the concrete roof with water,
will help cool it down ?
or just take longer to cool down ?

tmac
captain of 1,000

Post by tmac »

It will have an evaporative cooling effect. If you ran a sprinkling or misting device on the concrete concrete roof it would have a more substantial evaporative cooling effect.

Good & Global
captain of 1,000

Post by Good & Global »

tmac wrote: June 19th, 2023, 7:32 pm It will have an evaporative cooling effect. If you ran a sprinkling or misting device on the concrete concrete roof it would have a more substantial evaporative cooling effect.
Temporary cheaper fixes:

Spray what is concrete with water hose - western walls in the morning and roof during day. Avoid having a hose run continuous at the foundation. This will have a slight cooling effect from evaporation or Covering windows (lets in heat) and roof with aluminum foil or layer tinfoil over cardboard sections (but rain is cardboard's enemy) You want something to act as a heat buffer as concrete retains heat.

If you can't cool the building you can cool your internal body temperature - wear less clothes, eat frozen foods or popsicles. Keep hydrated by eating watery fruits and cucumbers in addition to drinking water. The food help body retain hydration which will evaporate and make it cooler. Wash cloth in freezer and then twirl in air a couple times and put on head where heat tends to concentrate in body.

Others:

Can you plant plants on the roof? Or not sure if dirt would work. Or is there non toxic insulation that can be used?

Here are some websites

https://temperaturemaster.com/keep-concrete-house-cool/
https://temperaturemaster.com/keep-concrete-house-cool/