Log Cabins

This is the place where you can discuss things completely Off Topic.
Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Re: Log Cabins

Post by Silver Pie »

mudflap wrote: ↑May 19th, 2023, 5:53 pm video update:

https://www.bitchute.com/video/1tv4RaRMgVtK/
Looking good! Two months 'til move-in. πŸ‘πŸΌ

mudflap
captain of 1,000

Post by mudflap »

poly'ing the middle RPSL: https://mudbox.freedombox.rocks/ikiwiki ... ddle_RPSL/

* stuff we don't want to do after moving in...

FrankOne
captain of 1,000

Post by FrankOne »

mudflap wrote: ↑May 30th, 2023, 8:25 pm poly'ing the middle RPSL: https://mudbox.freedombox.rocks/ikiwiki ... ddle_RPSL/

dang...that is b-a- utiful.

motivates me to get on with my plan for the addition to our house which will be a family/gathering/rec room of 20X27 with an attic room of about 14x20 as a kids/grandkids play/stay area. I love how they can make trusses for such a thing. I'm too lazy to cut and stack it. The upstairs will be vaulted t&g kinda sorta like yours but without the nice beams.

Ymarsakar
captain of 1,000

Post by Ymarsakar »

For those worried about the apocalypse getting hotter while they build, no problem. It's gotten pushed back, again. You don't want to wait until 2025 and I'm unsure most will make it to 2028 but you got plenty of time in 2023.

For now.

Humanity used to live in trees and giant crystal forests, but at least we have giant tree houses now still. Even if dead mostly.

mudflap
captain of 1,000

Post by mudflap »

FrankOne wrote: ↑May 31st, 2023, 3:20 pm
mudflap wrote: ↑May 30th, 2023, 8:25 pm poly'ing the middle RPSL: https://mudbox.freedombox.rocks/ikiwiki ... ddle_RPSL/

dang...that is b-a- utiful.

motivates me to get on with my plan for the addition to our house which will be a family/gathering/rec room of 20X27 with an attic room of about 14x20 as a kids/grandkids play/stay area. I love how they can make trusses for such a thing. I'm too lazy to cut and stack it. The upstairs will be vaulted t&g kinda sorta like yours but without the nice beams.
20x27 - that's going to be big!

I think we have about 20x25 of clear span here. the house is 40x40, so if we didn't have stairs or the kitchen island and hearth or the kitchen sink, it would be a 20x40 space, but that's not practical. I'm happy with the size - with the balcony, we have room for large gatherings.

mudflap
captain of 1,000

Post by mudflap »

Finished insulating the South gable wall last night, the North wall will be done tonight.

https://mudbox.freedombox.rocks/ikiwiki ... able_wall/

mudflap
captain of 1,000

Post by mudflap »

https://mudbox.freedombox.rocks/ikiwiki ... or_stairs/

First concrete pad (1 of 3) for exterior stairs:

door is homemade as well.

Ymarsakar
captain of 1,000

Post by Ymarsakar »

It is like irl skyrim

Cruiserdude
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Cruiserdude »

mudflap wrote: ↑June 4th, 2023, 8:36 am https://mudbox.freedombox.rocks/ikiwiki ... or_stairs/

First concrete pad (1 of 3) for exterior stairs:

door is homemade as well.
Getting there hermano!!!

mudflap
captain of 1,000

Post by mudflap »

Ymarsakar wrote: ↑June 4th, 2023, 8:38 am It is like irl skyrim
I had to look that up, lol. ;) But yes, I agree.

mudflap
captain of 1,000

Post by mudflap »

https://mudbox.freedombox.rocks/ikiwiki ... en_stairs/

Kitchen stairs in place - need handrails.

RaVaN
captain of 100

Post by RaVaN »

@mudflap

We call that death scaffolding. For those that don't know, inside heights are worse than outside for whatever reason.
Worst scaffolding I have ever been on is when me and my brother roofed a Dutch gable from a plank on ladder jacks on two 30 foot extension ladders on top of two sections of 4x 8 scaffolding on top of planks on a ladder rack of a truck strapped to a wall. The forecast for yellow rain was pretty high...could only take 15 minutes at a time before our knees would be knocking...he wold be coming up as I was coming down...the bounce on those tires was terrifying...
We use 4x5 sections of scaffold for jobs like what you been doing...with ten foot planks... People build houses like yours quite a bit minus the logs...or with logs up here...geographic location really makes difference. In Alabama with heat it makes sense in the great north with 40 below...you end up heating alot of air and if you ever have to use on of those useless high efficiency wood stoves you will need to burn a forest to get the heat down to a useful height. Reverse is true in Alabama I imagine, heat stays upstairs out of the way.

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

RaVaN wrote: ↑June 11th, 2023, 1:15 pm People build houses like yours quite a bit minus the logs...or with logs up here...geographic location really makes difference. In Alabama with heat it makes sense in the great north with 40 below...you end up heating alot of air and if you ever have to use on of those useless high efficiency wood stoves you will need to burn a forest to get the heat down to a useful height. Reverse is true in Alabama I imagine, heat stays upstairs out of the way.
This is why I prefer to live in houses with 7 or 8 foot ceilings. So much easier (and cheaper) to heat in the winter!

RaVaN
captain of 100

Post by RaVaN »

@Silver Pie

9ft here, when you get 7 months of winter, a smaller place with an open arrangement and 9ft ceilings keeps you from the winter crazies during the cold months. That's how I feel at any rate and when you cut your own wood of 6-8 cords(type of wood dependant)...it matters.

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

RaVaN wrote: ↑June 11th, 2023, 2:44 pm and when you cut your own wood of 6-8 cords(type of wood dependant)...it matters.
Most definitely! I've had wood/coal stoves in the past (living in northern Arizona, where it does get cold). Blessed to live in a ward that provided the wood and coal for single mothers and senior citizens every year. Cutting your own cords of wood is quite a job!

I live in Sweetwater County, Wyoming now. It isn't as cold as most other parts of Wyoming, but it's way too cold for me to want to waste heat on high ceilings (our heat is electric. In the winter, the electric bill competes with the rent bill to see if it can catch up). Luckily, mudflap lives in a much warmer climate than either you or me.

FrankOne
captain of 1,000

Post by FrankOne »

RaVaN wrote: ↑June 11th, 2023, 1:15 pm @mudflap

We call that death scaffolding. For those that don't know, inside heights are worse than outside for whatever reason.
Worst scaffolding I have ever been on is when me and my brother roofed a Dutch gable from a plank on ladder jacks on two 30 foot extension ladders on top of two sections of 4x 8 scaffolding on top of planks on a ladder rack of a truck strapped to a wall. The forecast for yellow rain was pretty high...could only take 15 minutes at a time before our knees would be knocking...he wold be coming up as I was coming down...the bounce on those tires was terrifying...
We use 4x5 sections of scaffold for jobs like what you been doing...with ten foot planks... People build houses like yours quite a bit minus the logs...or with logs up here...geographic location really makes difference. In Alabama with heat it makes sense in the great north with 40 below...you end up heating alot of air and if you ever have to use on of those useless high efficiency wood stoves you will need to burn a forest to get the heat down to a useful height. Reverse is true in Alabama I imagine, heat stays upstairs out of the way.
when I built my cabin with high vaults, I put two large sized fan lights hanging from the ceiling . I also had a wood stove for all the heating and it worked well. I don't think it takes much air circulation to keep it mixed up.

mudflap
captain of 1,000

Post by mudflap »

Yeah, you northerners have to contend with cold.

Ravan is right - it's the heat the worries us in the South.

I've noticed leaving the windows upstairs open all night really makes a difference - all the heat dissipates. Close them in the morning, stays a lot cooler during the day.

Winter - we'll just deal with it. It's only about a week a year we get anything below 20. I can live with that.

But as far as tall - yeah, floor to ceiling in the living room is anywhere from 19' - 27'. All that southern heat stays way, way, way upstairs. ;)

RaVaN
captain of 100

Post by RaVaN »

@FrankOne

Yeah, air movement is key. My concern really comes down to power outages. I use a fan that uses a peltier device that increased the upstairs temperature by 5 degrees(our place is two levels garage with living space above). Little fan, but big results and not grid dependent. What type wood stove did you use?

RaVaN
captain of 100

Post by RaVaN »

@mudflap

Decent curtains will help with the cold, heat as well. No matter how good the window is, cold and heat transfers occur which is why curtain trump blinds everytime. As well it is why sheetrock returned windows are always a bad idea up here. No matter how nice the window or insulated, they frost up at -40f.

FrankOne
captain of 1,000

Post by FrankOne »

RaVaN wrote: ↑June 11th, 2023, 8:14 pm @FrankOne

Yeah, air movement is key. My concern really comes down to power outages. I use a fan that uses a peltier device that increased the upstairs temperature by 5 degrees(our place is two levels garage with living space above). Little fan, but big results and not grid dependent. What type wood stove did you use?
I can't recall, it was back in '93. I sold it a few years later.

mudflap
captain of 1,000

Post by mudflap »

RaVaN wrote: ↑June 11th, 2023, 8:20 pm @mudflap

Decent curtains will help with the cold, heat as well. No matter how good the window is, cold and heat transfers occur which is why curtain trump blinds everytime. As well it is why sheetrock returned windows are always a bad idea up here. No matter how nice the window or insulated, they frost up at -40f.
we have the bare minimum requirement for windows - just one in each room. None of that "trophy sized floor-to-ceiling cabin windows" stuff for us. They are pretty energy efficient - double paned sealed glass. No sheetrock returned windows either - all the windows are set in the logs, the gap is overfilled with r-19 insulation, and spray-foamed the smaller gaps. My wife is a seamstress, so she is taking care of the curtains - probably after we move in. Lowest temps we've had here that I know of were over Christmas 2022 - we had 3 days of 0 - 5 degrees for the high. Killed a lot of plants and shrubs that aren't made for that kind of cold. My bananas survived under a huge pile of leaves I put over them before the cold hit.

I mean, everything is as efficient as we could get it. E-W sloping roof, 7-8' gable roof overhangs with 4' eave overhangs, and a future planned wrap around porch to further shade the logs. South facing windows shaded in summer, but plenty of sun in the winter. I overdid the insulation in the roof, walls, and crawlspace, used vapor barriers where needed.

And none of the codes fully address "thermal mass", of which we have a lot (300+ tons), which is more important (IMO) than insulation. For example, just yesterday, my buddy "LHN" (Log House Nut) was talking about how drafty his house is up there in Oregon - that they are big enough that a draft in one end of his house is enough to shut his 300 lb front door. Yet I think he said his home never breached 85 degrees a couple summers ago, even though the outside temps where above 110 - with no air conditioning.

mudflap
captain of 1,000

Post by mudflap »

Cruiserdude
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Cruiserdude »

mudflap wrote: ↑June 13th, 2023, 9:38 am Front porch started: https://mudbox.freedombox.rocks/ikiwiki ... h_started/

Sweet old school Yota πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ˜

mudflap
captain of 1,000

Post by mudflap »

Cruiserdude wrote: ↑June 13th, 2023, 9:41 am
mudflap wrote: ↑June 13th, 2023, 9:38 am Front porch started: https://mudbox.freedombox.rocks/ikiwiki ... h_started/

Sweet old school Yota πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ˜
yeah, I like it, too. ;)

wish I could figure out what's wrong with it. Runs extremely rich, but with no codes. I've replaced just about every component on it at this point except the computer and the AFM. I was going to replace the computer, but when I opened it to take a look - it looks brand new, no rust anywhere, no corrosion, so....

I was getting 22 mpg with my modified exhaust; now I can barely squeak out 10. anyway, after we move into the cabin, I'll have more time to really dig into it.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Reluctant Watchman »

12" frost line?!! How about 6 ft!!