How often do you use the Lord's Prayer?

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.

Who actually uses the Lord's Prayer?

Poll ended at June 5th, 2023, 8:05 pm

Once a day
14%
A few times a week
14%
Once a week
No votes
Once a month
10%
Never
62%

Total votes: 21
DivineSpark
captain of 50

How often do you use the Lord's Prayer?

Post by DivineSpark »

I'm curious how often each of you says the Lord's Prayer.

I don't say it very often maybe once a month. It's never been a priority for me. I am considering changing and saying it daily.

What are your thoughts?

nightlight
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: How often do you use the Lord's Prayer?

Post by nightlight »

imo Jesus didn't want us to say what He said word for word. He outlined the structure of a true prayer.

nightlight
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by nightlight »

I think about those verses a lot though.... I love it

The Lord's Prayer is peak philosophy

Arm Chair Quarterback
captain of 1,000

Post by Arm Chair Quarterback »

I voted "daily" but that daily reference was the pattern of the Lords' prayer. For example: "give us this day our daily bread" is about seeking spiritual nourishment. Forgive us our debts as we forgive our debtors is an invitation to participate in forgiveness and become more merciful. Thy kingdom come is a reference to "the kingdom of God is within you". So I use all of those patterns and others from the Lord's Prayer to construct my own prayers;

Arm Chair Quarterback
captain of 1,000

Post by Arm Chair Quarterback »

I must say, I get very tired of hearing the bless our leaders and our ward family prayers in church and never an appeal for forgiveness or mercy, never an appeal for heavenly daily spiritual bread, never a word about the kingdom of god. Its always thank you for our dear leaders, bless our dear leaders, thank you for our ward family, bless our ward family. But the Lord's Prayer is an appeal to forgiveness of sin, and a call to spiritual awakening. That never happens in church prayers that I hear.

Ado
captain of 100

Post by Ado »

Arm Chair Quarterback wrote: May 31st, 2023, 11:30 pm I must say, I get very tired of hearing the bless our leaders and our ward family prayers in church and never an appeal for forgiveness or mercy, never an appeal for heavenly daily spiritual bread, never a word about the kingdom of god. Its always thank you for our dear leaders, bless our dear leaders, thank you for our ward family, bless our ward family. But the Lord's Prayer is an appeal to forgiveness of sin, and a call to spiritual awakening. That never happens in church prayers that I hear.
Yes, the prayer of most adults sounds about the same as the prayer given by the children. I have also felt a call to “put away childish things” and pray with more faith. Lately, I recite the Lord’s Prayer when I am praying and at a loss of what to say. Also psalm 23. Somehow, the Spirit is able to work with me when I do this, and inspiration follows.

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

I find it a very moving experience when a whole congregation says the Lord's Prayer together.
And I think it works well in this way because it appears to be structured for communal use. "Our" Father, give "us our" daily bread, lead "us" not into temptation, deliver "us" from evil... etc.
I do use it sometimes in my personal prayer life, but I change it to the singular "my" Father, lead "me" not etc.
The Lord's Prayer was part of our daily devotionals at school, so most of my generation knows it off by heart even if they've never darkened the door of a church.
Last edited by Robin Hood on June 1st, 2023, 5:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

ransomme
captain of 1,000

Post by ransomme »

nightlight wrote: May 31st, 2023, 8:52 pm imo Jesus didn't want us to say what He said word for word. He outlined the structure of a true prayer.
This is true, but does not mean that we can't say it off if we mean it.

I think about its lines often.

I want to say it sometime when moved upon by the Spirit at church.
Last edited by ransomme on June 1st, 2023, 5:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Christianlee
captain of 1,000

Post by Christianlee »

11-12 times daily.

Brighidara
captain of 50

Post by Brighidara »

Arm Chair Quarterback wrote: May 31st, 2023, 11:30 pm I must say, I get very tired of hearing the bless our leaders and our ward family prayers in church and never an appeal for forgiveness or mercy, never an appeal for heavenly daily spiritual bread, never a word about the kingdom of god. Its always thank you for our dear leaders, bless our dear leaders, thank you for our ward family, bless our ward family. But the Lord's Prayer is an appeal to forgiveness of sin, and a call to spiritual awakening. That never happens in church prayers that I hear.
Amen. After praying for divine protection for loved ones recently, I was prompted to read Alma’s words of admonishment:
Alma 38:13 Do not pray as the Zoramites do, for ye have seen that they pray to be heard of men, and to be praised for their wisdom.
14 …but rather say: O Lord, forgive my unworthiness, and remember my brethren in mercy—yea, acknowledge your unworthiness before God at all times.
15 And may the Lord bless your soul, and receive you at the last day into his kingdom, to sit down in peace.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

Thirty years ago, it was wide spread enough in public consciousness that a crowd of tens of thousands of non-Christians could say it. But even this was outrageous at the time... a rock concert about HIV awareness.

Christianlee
captain of 1,000

Post by Christianlee »

The Jesus prayer of Eastern Orthodoxy has always had an appeal for me. “Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me, a sinner.” Some people will condemn repetitive prayer out of hand, but the fact is we often do not know what words to say. As we meditate using repetitive prayers we can be open to the ideas that come to our mind and perhaps begin to understand what God wants to reveal to us. We can perhaps be led to know what God wants us to ask Him rather than leaning on our own carnal inspiration. Of course we pray for wisdom and for the needs we have and for the needs of family and friends. We thank God for our blessings. The words Jesus gave us can aid us in our weakness.

In Romans 8:26-27 Paul writes, “Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered. And he that searcheth the hearts knoweth what is the mind of the Spirit, because he maketh intercession for the saints according to the will of God.”

Good & Global
captain of 1,000

Post by Good & Global »

We have a habit of praying for leaders in our church even when we pray for our country it is for our leaders.
Leaders follow what the people do. We really should pray for the people who need help to change their leaders.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

Good & Global wrote: June 2nd, 2023, 3:15 am We have a habit of praying for leaders in our church even when we pray for our country it is for our leaders.
Leaders follow what the people do. We really should pray for the people who need help to change their leaders.
Should really be praying for leaders' hearts to be softened and to make godly decisions. Subtle difference.

JuneBug12000
captain of 1,000

Post by JuneBug12000 »

Arm Chair Quarterback wrote: May 31st, 2023, 11:27 pm I voted "daily" but that daily reference was the pattern of the Lords' prayer. For example: "give us this day our daily bread" is about seeking spiritual nourishment. Forgive us our debts as we forgive our debtors is an invitation to participate in forgiveness and become more merciful. Thy kingdom come is a reference to "the kingdom of God is within you". So I use all of those patterns and others from the Lord's Prayer to construct my own prayers;
I don't disagree with your interpretations. But I will say, having been poor, I have prayed for daily bread literally as well. And received it. :)

God blessed us temporally and spiritually.