The Light After Death: My Journey To Heaven and Back (Vincent Tolman)

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
Pazooka
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: The Light After Death: My Journey To Heaven and Back (Vincent Tolman)

Post by Pazooka »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: May 31st, 2023, 10:31 am
Pazooka wrote: May 31st, 2023, 10:11 am
Reluctant Watchman wrote: May 31st, 2023, 9:47 am
Sounds like you have some things to work through.
Ideas of loving everyone, abandoning “prejudice” and just being your “authentic self” are ideas that pit a person against God’s absolute Law.

No, you should endeavor to conform to Law, not become a law unto yourself.
I think you would do well to actually read what he says about these principles before making a hasty judgment.
I read exactly what you wrote about what he said

Edit to add: Sometimes you don’t need to eat the whole slice of cake to recognize there’s some dog doo in there

It’s seeds of death sprinkled in doctrines - - the idea of loving everyone, no judgment, no prejudice, no intolerance…it sounds good when you market it but what is it really? A dysfunctional family where there are not healthy boundaries, you’re not permitted to feel negative emotions in order to process them, there is no safety, etc.

In essence, it comes down to life versus anti-life; health vs sickness.

*Cancer cells are cells too* We should learn to love ‘em

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Reluctant Watchman »

Pazooka wrote: May 31st, 2023, 10:42 am

Edit to add: Sometimes you don’t need to eat the whole slice of cake to recognize there’s some dog doo in there

It’s seeds of death sprinkled in doctrines - - the idea of loving everyone, no judgment, no prejudice, no intolerance…it sounds good when you market it but what is it really? A dysfunctional family where there are not healthy boundaries, you’re not permitted to feel negative emotions in order to process them, there is no safety, etc.

If you didn't read his book, then you didn't read "what he said." I paraphrased much of what he said. Vinny does talk about boundaries, tolerance (or intolerance), judgment, etc. You just have to take the effort to read what HE said, not my perspective on it.

I don't care to argue the point. If it's not your cup of tea, well, don't drink it.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

For those of you who are hung up on the idea of "releasing prejudice", I'd highly suggest spending some time studying the definition of the word Prejudice. Then take that to God and ask Him how He feels about prejudice.

Pazooka
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Pazooka »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: May 31st, 2023, 11:31 am

If you didn't read his book, then you didn't read "what he said." I paraphrased much of what he said. Vinny does talk about boundaries, tolerance (or intolerance), judgment, etc. You just have to take the effort to read what HE said, not my perspective on it.

I don't care to argue the point. If it's not your cup of tea, well, don't drink it.
Is there dog doo in the tea too???

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Pazooka wrote: May 31st, 2023, 11:44 am Is there dog doo in the tea too???
Only the doo-doo that you add by having a high degree of prejudice. And I don't mean to gloss over the idea that he's a man. He has his opinions and viewpoints, as we all do. But, that doesn't mean that these principles are full of $#!%.

If you avoid everything that even had a hint of being imperfect, well, you've come to the wrong planet.

Ymarsakar
captain of 1,000

Post by Ymarsakar »

"1. Learn how to be truly authentic. To be yourself whomever you are around. In this life we see the most authentic people are the very young and the very old.

2. Fully understanding the reason we are here. The reason we are here is to learn. To learn, to create, to embody love.

3. Love everyone. Because we are here to learn how to love.

4. Listen to your inner voice. Listen to the built in conscience or direction from our Creator. We have a sacred connection to the Creator.

5. Using technology responsibility. If we are so distracted by our access to technology, then we will not hear that inner voice.

6. Release prejudice. Even prejudice toward prejudice people. We need to release this to understand that all creation is divine.

7. Exercise the power of creation. It begins w/ our thoughts > habits > actions > character > destiny…control your thoughts. Choose what goes in your holy temple.

8. Avoid negative influences. Recognize when there is negative energy and call upon God.

9. Understanding that there is a purpose to evil. For there to be an up, there needs to be a down. Without evil there is no good, without good there is no evil.

10. Know that we are all one. Each one of us are creations of the Creator. We each carry that golden spark. To harm any part of creation is to harm God and to harm ourselves."

1. CHeck

2. Mostly there

3. Well that depends on what love means... heh

4. Mostly mastered this one

5. Technology and spirit is almost together in me

6. Jeshua is my brother and heyl-el is also my brother. Guess there's no room for much prejudice there.

7. Manifest instantly! Check

8. Already did and it cleared some of the forum gunk here

9. check

10. also check.

"I'd highly suggest spending some time studying the definition of the word Prejudice."

Society told them being prejudiced against X tribei s bad, like black people. So humans find something else to be prejducied about. New age people. Russians. Political infighting. THere is always something or somebody to dislike and hate.

RW, know how you go on about Brigham Young/some other dead people in the recent past? Because of your excellent progress, the karma was returned to you. Just now in these threads. You manifested this reality, and it is a very good lesson. No need for me even.

ithink
captain of 1,000

Post by ithink »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: May 31st, 2023, 7:18 am
ithink wrote: May 31st, 2023, 6:59 am I wonder how Vincent does.
Vincent, as well as many NDE people, often report that they have suicidal thoughts after having such an experience. The love and light they feel in that space are so exquisite that this world truly does feel like hell. They have an indescribable longing to return. For Vincent, this longing subsided and he was able to regain his desire to be here and learn through his mortal experience.
I can't see how anyone who has really seen the other side would ever consider suicide. True, the good side is glorious, but hell is beyond belief terrible, depressing, lonely, and dark. I keep saying it and I wonder why I do? I don't know. The risk of entering into hell and being unable to walk out are too high I guess. I worry about my family, myself, friends (of which I have very few), and even many of you here who seem very kind and loving. I was going to say deluded but I deign to do so because I don't feel like I am the one to make that call. Whether I am fatally deluded or you are, is up for me to decide and for you also. It is not for anyone else.

Take very special care about how your life is all I can say. Be careful who you give your allegiance to since in fact, no allegiance itself can "save" you whatsoever. If you feel to have allegiance to Christ, then forget the allegiance itself, get honest and fair in your life, and his company will be your company because you will be like him, perfectly one, not as a mirror or a cookie cutter, but one in and of yourself.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

ithink wrote: May 31st, 2023, 10:06 pm
Reluctant Watchman wrote: May 31st, 2023, 7:18 am
ithink wrote: May 31st, 2023, 6:59 am I wonder how Vincent does.
Vincent, as well as many NDE people, often report that they have suicidal thoughts after having such an experience. The love and light they feel in that space are so exquisite that this world truly does feel like hell. They have an indescribable longing to return. For Vincent, this longing subsided and he was able to regain his desire to be here and learn through his mortal experience.
I can't see how anyone who has really seen the other side would ever consider suicide. True, the good side is glorious, but hell is beyond belief terrible, depressing, lonely, and dark. I keep saying it and I wonder why I do? I don't know. The risk of entering into hell and being unable to walk out are too high I guess. I worry about my family, myself, friends (of which I have very few), and even many of you here who seem very kind and loving. I was going to say deluded but I deign to do so because I don't feel like I am the one to make that call. Whether I am fatally deluded or you are, is up for me to decide and for you also. It is not for anyone else.

Take very special care about how your life is all I can say. Be careful who you give your allegiance to since in fact, no allegiance itself can "save" you whatsoever. If you feel to have allegiance to Christ, then forget the allegiance itself, get honest and fair in your life, and his company will be your company because you will be like him, perfectly one, not as a mirror or a cookie cutter, but one in and of yourself.
Joseph said something similar. That if we were to glimpse the glory of the Celestial realms that we would willingly give up our lives to pass beyond the veil. There are many reasons for a veil, one of them is to keep us here in mortality and stave off the desire to return to our “real” home.

Mindfields
captain of 1,000

Post by Mindfields »

Interesting videos. It makes sense to me that our existence here on earth is a time of learning rather than a test. The concept of it being a test just isn't logical. An analogy. After many years of progressing through the various math disciplines e.g. algebra, calculus, trigonometry, geometry etc. you approach a final test of your overall math aptitude. Immediately before you sit down to take the test your memory is wiped. All of your hard earned knowledge concerning math is gone. You are now given the test. Surely you will fail the test. Your preparation was entirely useless as far as passing the test goes.

If we already lived with God and knew him, then a fair test would be we remember our times with God and are now free to do whatsoever we choose without being reprimanded immediately by God. How different our choices would be if this was the case. Though it would be a fair test.

Bottom line. The supposed test concept is nothing more than a control mechanism invented by man not by God.

Luke
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Luke »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: May 31st, 2023, 10:31 am
Pazooka wrote: May 31st, 2023, 10:11 am

Ideas of loving everyone, abandoning “prejudice” and just being your “authentic self” are ideas that pit a person against God’s absolute Law.

No, you should endeavor to conform to Law, not become a law unto yourself.
I think you would do well to actually read what he says about these principles before making a hasty judgment.

Absolutely nailed it.

Ymarsakar
captain of 1,000

Post by Ymarsakar »

The amnesia is what makes the test difficult and worthy.

For example, people are put into survival jungle courses with nothing but a compass and knife.

God is not testing for knowledge, as knowledge isn't particularly useful to divine entities given their access to omnipresence. God is testing for skills and applications.

Whether people are repeating the answers from a book or whether they truly know it under stress or not.
Mindfields wrote: June 1st, 2023, 5:01 am Interesting videos. It makes sense to me that our existence here on earth is a time of learning rather than a test. The concept of it being a test just isn't logical. An analogy. After many years of progressing through the various math disciplines e.g. algebra, calculus, trigonometry, geometry etc. you approach a final test of your overall math aptitude. Immediately before you sit down to take the test your memory is wiped. All of your hard earned knowledge concerning math is gone. You are now given the test. Surely you will fail the test. Your preparation was entirely useless as far as passing the test goes.

If we already lived with God and knew him, then a fair test would be we remember our times with God and are now free to do whatsoever we choose without being reprimanded immediately by God. How different our choices would be if this was the case. Though it would be a fair test.

Bottom line. The supposed test concept is nothing more than a control mechanism invented by man not by God.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Mindfields wrote: June 1st, 2023, 5:01 am Interesting videos. It makes sense to me that our existence here on earth is a time of learning rather than a test. The concept of it being a test just isn't logical. An analogy. After many years of progressing through the various math disciplines e.g. algebra, calculus, trigonometry, geometry etc. you approach a final test of your overall math aptitude. Immediately before you sit down to take the test your memory is wiped. All of your hard earned knowledge concerning math is gone. You are now given the test. Surely you will fail the test. Your preparation was entirely useless as far as passing the test goes.

This is an excellent analogy btw. Daming us for eternity because we can't remember certain things is odd. And, as you noted, a control mechanism.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Luke wrote: June 1st, 2023, 7:03 am Absolutely nailed it.
So you think being prejudiced is hunky dory?
Prejudice
: preconceived judgment or opinion

Pazooka
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Pazooka »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: June 1st, 2023, 11:00 am
Prejudice
It’s the overall pattern of his statements, not just a question of whether the actual definition of prejudice is understood by himself or anyone else. The word “prejudice” is used liberally and inappropriately in our age just as is “racism” and “bigotry.” It’s a triggering, shaming word.

Why should we love our brother but “hate” God’s enemies? Included below is a code of conduct for Hebrew Messianism. It keeps a community/society healthy. Gods Law versus…everything else.

1QS 1
Community Rule
Dead Sea Scrolls
1 [The Master shall teach the sai]nts to live {according to the Book} of the Community [Rul]e, that they may seek God with a whole heart and soul, and do what is good and right before Him as He commanded by the hand of Moses and all His servants the Prophets; that they may love all that He has chosen and hate all that He has rejected; that they may abstain from all evil and hold fast to all good; that they may practise truth, righteousness, and justice upon earth and no longer stubbornly follow a sinful heart and lustful eyes, committing all manner of evil. 2 He shall admit into the Covenant of Grace all those who have freely devoted themselves to the observance of God's precepts, that they may be joined to the counsel of God and may live perfectly before Him in accordance with all that has been revealed concerning their appointed times, and that they may love all the sons of light, each according to his lot in God's design, and hate all the sons of darkness, each according to his guilt in God's vengeance.
Date: 160 B.C.E. - 100 B.C.E. (based on scholarly estimates)

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Pazooka wrote: June 1st, 2023, 2:38 pm
Prejudice
It’s the overall pattern of his statements, not just a question of whether the actual definition of prejudice is understood by himself or anyone else. The word “prejudice” is used liberally and inappropriately in our age just as is “racism” and “bigotry.” It’s a triggering, shaming word.

Why should we love our brother but “hate” God’s enemies? Included below is a code of conduct for Hebrew Messianism. It keeps a community/society healthy. Gods Law versus…everything else.

1QS 1
Community Rule
Dead Sea Scrolls
1 [The Master shall teach the sai]nts to live {according to the Book} of the Community [Rul]e, that they may seek God with a whole heart and soul, and do what is good and right before Him as He commanded by the hand of Moses and all His servants the Prophets; that they may love all that He has chosen and hate all that He has rejected; that they may abstain from all evil and hold fast to all good; that they may practise truth, righteousness, and justice upon earth and no longer stubbornly follow a sinful heart and lustful eyes, committing all manner of evil. 2 He shall admit into the Covenant of Grace all those who have freely devoted themselves to the observance of God's precepts, that they may be joined to the counsel of God and may live perfectly before Him in accordance with all that has been revealed concerning their appointed times, and that they may love all the sons of light, each according to his lot in God's design, and hate all the sons of darkness, each according to his guilt in God's vengeance.
IMO you've approached all of these statements w/ your own paradigms; prejudices if you will. Every single point he noted can be viewed with a negative slant. Heck, just take the scriptures, often they don't even agree w/ each other.

Pazooka
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Pazooka »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: June 1st, 2023, 2:43 pm
Pazooka wrote: June 1st, 2023, 2:38 pm

1QS 1
Community Rule
Dead Sea Scrolls
IMO you've approached all of these statements w/ your own paradigms; prejudices if you will. Every single point he noted can be viewed with a negative slant. Heck, just take the scriptures, often they don't even agree w/ each other.
Scripture doesn’t agree because it wasn’t written by God’s own hand. That doesn’t excuse us from using the gift of reason He/She gave us.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Pazooka wrote: June 1st, 2023, 2:54 pm Scripture doesn’t agree because it wasn’t written by God’s own hand. That doesn’t excuse us from using the gift of reason He/She gave us.
To which I agree, but your logic of calling Vinny's words dog crap is the same logic you could use with anything that's written by any person. There will always be imperfections in most writings. But I don't allow that to keep me from learning and progressing.

Pazooka
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Pazooka »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: June 1st, 2023, 3:04 pm
Pazooka wrote: June 1st, 2023, 2:54 pm Scripture doesn’t agree because it wasn’t written by God’s own hand. That doesn’t excuse us from using the gift of reason He/She gave us.
To which I agree, but your logic of calling Vinny's words dog crap is the same logic you could use with anything that's written by any person. There will always be imperfections in most writings. But I don't allow that to keep me from learning and progressing.
I meant to insinuate that there was a fraction of dog crap in with some otherwise sound advice. But that dog crap is mighty important in informing me from where the message is coming.

I’m sorry that we disagree. It’s just my determination that it’s time the House of Israel separated itself from Gentile (dogs) pollution (crap).

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Pazooka wrote: June 1st, 2023, 3:15 pm
I meant to insinuate that there was a fraction of dog crap in with some otherwise sound advice. But that dog crap is mighty important in informing me from where the message is coming.

I’m sorry that we disagree. It’s just my determination that it’s time the House of Israel separated itself from Gentile (dogs) pollution (crap).
And that "fraction" could very well be your own prejudice or paradigm w/ which you interpret these phrases.

Pazooka
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Pazooka »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: June 1st, 2023, 3:27 pm
Pazooka wrote: June 1st, 2023, 3:15 pm

And that "fraction" could very well be your own prejudice or paradigm w/ which you interpret these phrases.
What I find interesting is that your replies have only been to call my viewpoint prejudiced (and other personal judgments) rather than tackle the actual ideas in question. That *is* the purpose of the exchange of viewpoints, is it not? To reason out the ideas and not the perceived shortcomings of the viewer?

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Pazooka wrote: June 1st, 2023, 3:48 pm What I find interesting is that your replies have only been to call my viewpoint prejudiced (and other personal judgments) rather than tackle the actual ideas in question. That *is* the purpose of the exchange of viewpoints, is it not? To reason out the ideas and not the perceived shortcomings of the viewer?
You said that avoiding prejudice is a new agey thing. I don't see it that way. What is there to debate? You are the one who made a quick judgment about the meaning of all of these phrases w/o reading the longer context for them. I'm not going to try and explain in greater detail what is already there.

But I do take issue w/ your calling something dog crap and not investigating it further when your premise is essentially noting that a person wrote it. You wouldn't read or investigate anything based on your logic.

Pazooka
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Pazooka »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: June 1st, 2023, 4:21 pm
Pazooka wrote: June 1st, 2023, 3:48 pm What I find interesting is that your replies have only been to call my viewpoint prejudiced (and other personal judgments) rather than tackle the actual ideas in question. That *is* the purpose of the exchange of viewpoints, is it not? To reason out the ideas and not the perceived shortcomings of the viewer?
You said that avoiding prejudice is a new agey thing. I don't see it that way. What is there to debate? You are the one who made a quick judgment about the meaning of all of these phrases w/o reading the longer context for them. I'm not going to try and explain in greater detail what is already there.
I don’t recall mentioning anything about New Age. I said the pattern of speaking about prejudice, authenticity, blanket tolerance and loving everyone was a recipe for dysfunction and societal rot.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Pazooka wrote: June 1st, 2023, 4:25 pm I don’t recall mentioning anything about New Age. I said the pattern of speaking about prejudice, authenticity, blanket tolerance and loving everyone was a recipe for dysfunction and societal rot.
If you read what Vinny actually said about each of these points I think you'd have a different opinion. BTW, he never said anything about blanket tolerance. Also, "loving everyone" doesn't mean you accept their behavior. He does talk about this in more detail.

I do have to reiterate my original question, is being prejudice in any form ok?

Pazooka
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Pazooka »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: June 1st, 2023, 4:37 pm
Pazooka wrote: June 1st, 2023, 4:25 pm I don’t recall mentioning anything about New Age. I said the pattern of speaking about prejudice, authenticity, blanket tolerance and loving everyone was a recipe for dysfunction and societal rot.
If you read what Vinny actually said about each of these points I think you'd have a different opinion. BTW, he never said anything about blanket tolerance. Also, "loving everyone" doesn't mean you accept their behavior. He does talk about this in more detail.

Loving the wicked while rejecting their behavior…that seems pretty unsound. That’s probably how we got into this state of corruption. Who came up with that garbage?

Prejudice = acting according to a preconceived notion…

As long as that notion was “preconceived” by a reverence for God’s law, what is the problem?

Synonymous with “bias” = “causing to incline to one side”…

Heck yes. I’d like to be counted on God’s side.

Pazooka
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Pazooka »

Pazooka wrote: June 1st, 2023, 4:55 pm
Reluctant Watchman wrote: June 1st, 2023, 4:37 pm

Loving the wicked while rejecting their behavior…that seems pretty unsound. That’s probably how we got into this state of corruption. Who came up with that garbage?

Prejudice = acting according to a preconceived notion…

As long as that notion was “preconceived” by a reverence for God’s law, what is the problem?

Synonymous with “bias” = “causing to incline to one side”…

Heck yes. I’d like to be counted on God’s side.
When we live by Roman ethics, what does that make us? Probably the most Gentiley of the Gentiles

From catholic.com:
Attachments
E74426E4-B260-4CD0-AAB2-9FD6BA35A175.jpeg
E74426E4-B260-4CD0-AAB2-9FD6BA35A175.jpeg (495.28 KiB) Viewed 34 times