Jesus’ Begetting

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
Pazooka
Level 34 Illuminated

Jesus’ Begetting

Post by Pazooka »

The gospel attributed to Mark says that after Jesus’ baptism by John where he heard the voice that early temple mystics understood to be the Great Lady - the Mother of the Lord (and of all the “anointed” of her holy oil from the Tree of Life which is her symbol)…. After that The Spirit immediately drove him out into the wilderness. And he was in the wilderness forty days, tempted by Satan, and he was with the wild beasts; and the angels ministered to him ~ Mark 1:9-13

Margaret Barker explains how this is Jesus’ heavenly ascent - the same type of ascent Ezekiel’s and other holy prophets.
These few lines in Mark’s Gospel indicate that Jesus claimed a throne vision at his baptism. Being with wild beasts may imply no more than the presence of desert animals during the forty days, but the reference to wild beasts and serving angels together with open heavens and a heavenly voice suggests rather more. In the Greek, the word for ‘beasts’ in Mark 1 and ‘living creatures’ in Revelation 4.6 are different; but the Hebrew word hayyah would have been used for both a wild animal (Gen 8.1) and one of the throne creatures (Ezekiel 10.15).

The other Gospels add significant details: during his time in the desert, Jesus looked down from a mountain top and saw ‘all the kingdoms of the world in a moment of time’ (Luke 4.5); he also felt himself on a pinnacle of the temple (Luke 4.9). Both these are holy of holies experiences, mentioned by other mystics: Habakkuk was set on a watch-tower in the temple to see his vision (Hab. 2.1); the angel Metatron, the transformed Enoch, showed Rabbi Ishmael all history depicted on the curtain of the heavenly holy of holies (3 En 45)
She also explains that the “begetting” of Jesus has ancient roots in temple tradition:
A variant reading in some ancient versions of Luke’s Gospel provides another link to the throne vision of Revelation 4. In Matthew and Mark, the voice from heaven speaks words from a coronation psalm, ‘You are my Son’ (Ps 2.7), and from a Servant Song, ‘with whom I am well pleased’ (Isa. 42.1), thus linking the traditions of king and servant. The text of Luke 3.22 in the Codex Bezae, however, has only Psalm 2.7: ‘You are my son, today I have begotten you’, linking the experience unambiguously to the coronation ritual, the moment when the king entered the holy of holies, i.e. ascended to heaven, and was enthroned as Son of God.
The recent coronation of Charles was very interesting, with the anointing taking place within a make-shift holy of holies with a screen embroidered with what looks very much like a Tree of Life, under a what could be a “morning star” (associated with divine rebirth - “sons of the dawn” etc).
Attachments
F75FF372-A391-4CB6-A02A-29EC26DDFB9B.jpeg
F75FF372-A391-4CB6-A02A-29EC26DDFB9B.jpeg (535.69 KiB) Viewed 109 times

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Jesus’ Begetting

Post by Niemand »

We have discussed some similarity to other religions recently but one striking similarity is the story of Buddha being tempted by Mara (illusion)

Pazooka
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Pazooka »

Niemand wrote: May 28th, 2023, 2:50 pm We have discussed some similarity to other religions recently but one striking similarity is the story of Buddha being tempted by Mara (illusion)
Does Buddha see the 4 “beasts” (or living creatures) - the heavenly throne-bearers - and is he conversant with angels?

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

Pazooka wrote: May 28th, 2023, 2:58 pm
Niemand wrote: May 28th, 2023, 2:50 pm We have discussed some similarity to other religions recently but one striking similarity is the story of Buddha being tempted by Mara (illusion)
Does Buddha see the 4 “beasts” (or living creatures) - the heavenly throne-bearers - and is he conversant with angels?
I'm not sure. One problem with Buddhism is there is no set canon. Just a heck of a lot of books.

I suppose Buddhism has some equivalent to angels but I'm not sure how it works. It is very different in some respects.

Gautama goes off into the wilderness. Mara comes to tempt him. There are a lot of different versions of the story, but they include appearing as a messenger saying his family has been deposed from power (similar to the temple top thing with Jesus), and is also tempted by starvation and thirst (similar to the stones/bread). Some other details are way off though.

Pazooka
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Pazooka »

Niemand wrote: May 28th, 2023, 3:44 pm
Pazooka wrote: May 28th, 2023, 2:58 pm
I'm not sure. One problem with Buddhism is there is no set canon. Just a heck of a lot of books.

I suppose Buddhism has some equivalent to angels but I'm not sure how it works. It is very different in some respects.

Gautama goes off into the wilderness. Mara comes to tempt him. There are a lot of different versions of the story, but they include appearing as a messenger saying his family has been deposed from power (similar to the temple top thing with Jesus), and is also tempted by starvation and thirst (similar to the stones/bread). Some other details are way off though.
What did you think of the anointing of Charles and the embroidered screen?

Pazooka
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Pazooka »

I got this book for Mothers’ Day and so far it’s one of the best books I’ve ever gotten my hands on.

Tree of Life = = the golden lamp stand of the temple = = the Great Lady with her anointing oil by means of which one is given to see and understand = = Wisdom = = what has evolved into the theology of what we call “the Holy Ghost”

All the language surrounding Jesus and his anointing and his begetting are ancient temple themes.
Attachments
A86D152B-04DD-4A69-800F-8AF41FCB33F5.jpeg
A86D152B-04DD-4A69-800F-8AF41FCB33F5.jpeg (772.81 KiB) Viewed 68 times

BringerOfJoy
captain of 100

Post by BringerOfJoy »

Pazooka wrote: May 28th, 2023, 6:44 pm I got this book for Mothers’ Day and so far it’s one of the best books I’ve ever gotten my hands on.

Tree of Life = = the golden lamp stand of the temple = = the Great Lady with her anointing oil by means of which one is given to see and understand = = Wisdom = = what has evolved into the theology of what we call “the Holy Ghost”

All the language surrounding Jesus and his anointing and his begetting are ancient temple themes.
I've had it for years. Now all I need to do is set time aside to actually read it. So many books, so little time.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

Pazooka wrote: May 28th, 2023, 6:40 pm What did you think of the anointing of Charles and the embroidered screen?
I didn't watch the coronation. The following Sunday there were a few people at church comparing the anointing to ancient practices.