Where would you start looking for off grid property?

Discuss the last days, Zion, second coming, emergency preparedness, alternative health, etc.
mudflap
captain of 1,000

Re: Where would you start looking for off grid property?

Post by mudflap »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: May 9th, 2023, 7:15 am Ok, I'm geeking out on Earthships. It's at the top of my list of home-building methods. This one is more on the fancy side, but the general premise is the same for this type of build. Why don't we build like this today? Passive heating and cooling. The idea is so simple. Plus you collect the rainwater and reuse it for showers, toilets, and watering plants.
because too many folks are willing to settle for stick-homes.

and the 30 years of debt-slavery that goes with them.

I'm telling you - one thing I've learned from building my own home is this: men (and their wives) are supposed to be physically active - to build, design, create, invent, problem-solve, imagine, accomplish, etc. The idea that you can "fulfill the measure of your creation" by wearing a suit, commuting 2 hours a day back and forth to a "cube farm" to stare at a computer screen all day - well, that's just another one of Satan's lies. It's slavery.

Cruiserdude
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Cruiserdude »

mudflap wrote: May 9th, 2023, 8:28 am
Reluctant Watchman wrote: May 9th, 2023, 7:15 am Ok, I'm geeking out on Earthships. It's at the top of my list of home-building methods. This one is more on the fancy side, but the general premise is the same for this type of build. Why don't we build like this today? Passive heating and cooling. The idea is so simple. Plus you collect the rainwater and reuse it for showers, toilets, and watering plants.
because too many folks are willing to settle for stick-homes.

and the 30 years of debt-slavery that goes with them.

I'm telling you - one thing I've learned from building my own home is this: men (and their wives) are supposed to be physically active - to build, design, create, invent, problem-solve, imagine, accomplish, etc. The idea that you can "fulfill the measure of your creation" by wearing a suit, commuting 2 hours a day back and forth to a "cube farm" to stare at a computer screen all day - well, that's just another one of Satan's lies. It's slavery.
Yuuuuup👍

RosyPosy
captain of 100

Post by RosyPosy »

mudflap wrote: May 9th, 2023, 8:28 am I'm telling you - one thing I've learned from building my own home is this: men (and their wives) are supposed to be physically active - to build, design, create, invent, problem-solve, imagine, accomplish, etc. The idea that you can "fulfill the measure of your creation" by wearing a suit, commuting 2 hours a day back and forth to a "cube farm" to stare at a computer screen all day - well, that's just another one of Satan's lies. It's slavery.
Quick off topic comment. But this is why I'm an automotive tech. I'm active and have to problem solve.

But building one's own home, or atleast contributing to building it. Sounds fulfilling and economical.

Ymarsakar
captain of 1,000

Post by Ymarsakar »

That is what trees do. They collect water and drip it in one area of the ground, to create a ground water reservoir that later feeds plants when droughts come. Without that shade and cover, the water would quickly evaporate. Nature has many ideas that humanity could learn from, if it wasn't busy mining the place to death.

Also hilarious earthship. Next will be space arks or space ships or airships.

No wonder treehouses were popular with the ancients. The place comes half way furnished.

We don't build like this today because form follows function. Satan needs a particular architecture in the cities and roads to harness energy, and this "natural" stuff ain't gonna cut it.

Ymarsakar
captain of 1,000

Post by Ymarsakar »

Those are very good ideas. Post secession USA will be doing them.

Although depending on the world line people are in, a lot of help will come from advanced technologies. Notably the stuff used to build the pyramids.
mudflap wrote: May 4th, 2023, 6:26 am

I propose: a network of independent folks and/or co-ops all over the country / world, all connected by some sort of "federated" or "distributed" internet / mesh network / ham radio. We could have our own mail system, freight system, online shopping, support groups, parts suppliers, food networks. Freedomcells.org is a good place to make local connections as well as interconnecting on various subjects. for the networking - I'm still working on that one - but this thread has some options: viewtopic.php?p=1149942#p1149942

I've fixed up a second laptop to use as a server - going to try yunohost this time - has the ability to run an e-commerce server, blogging support, federated networking (you can run a fork of Diaspora on it, apparently). I currently run a laptop in a closet as a "freedombox" server - right now, just a small website - but freedombox doesn't seem to be evolving in a direction that supports a lot of "parallel society" apps like I think it should (mostly: no ecommerce and no social networking). Yunohost looks like it is including more apps, so I'll give it a shot.

mudflap
captain of 1,000

Post by mudflap »

this might be of interest to some of the AZ folks:

https://www.thearkofsustainability.com/

found it on freedomcells.org

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Reluctant Watchman »

Lots of great info here if you are interested in compressed earth blocks (CEB). I'm actually leaning toward this method for my home or even an earthship hybrid. Use the passive heating/cooling principles of the earthship, but use CEBs to build the walls instead of tires:

http://www.adobemachine.com/

The machines listed here are the most affordable I've been able to find online.

mudflap
captain of 1,000

Post by mudflap »

Been following this guy for years - not sure if I ever shared his personal blog:

https://joeyh.name/offgrid/

(he wrote the software I use on my microblog)

pjbrownie
captain of 1,000

Post by pjbrownie »

Ozarks, Appalachia will have all of this for the price you want.

But Appalachia is also very close to the highest urban population centers in North America. Ozarks are better. There are hoards of opioid addicted meth-heads in the hollers though, so when the government subsidies run out, they may start wandering from their singlewides.

Rocky Mountains are the best for being away from population centers, with neighbors who are more prepped out, but they are more expensive and colder. Central to Northern Idaho is probably the best, with the mildest temperatures, and there is still plenty of water.

If you need to stay in Utah, the Bolder/central southern Utah area meets most of this criteria except for water, although it can be found.

I don't think you can get everything on your list.

I prioritize being away from major population centers, so that puts me squarely in the West. Southern Missouri may work but still too close to major population centers for my taste (St. Louis, KC) but preferable to areas on the West Coast or Appalachia.

I want neighbors who are preppers, not hillbillies. They will go zombie on you very quickly. See Deliverance.

Water is a necessity but doesn't need to be plentiful. You can make it in an arid area as long as you can get access. Cold can be mitigated through construction, greenhouses, and a walipini.

mudflap
captain of 1,000

Post by mudflap »

yes ^ but more important than location is going to be how much debt you have. God can bless the righteous no matter where they live.

Fred
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fred »

Fred wrote: February 26th, 2023, 7:51 pm
Silver Pie wrote: February 26th, 2023, 4:30 pm
bbrown wrote: February 25th, 2023, 7:43 pm Also putting windows in will make it no more claustrophobic than any regular house. You just have round outer walls.
Maybe the guy building the one I went into just didn't have enough windows for my comfort. He'd also made it two-story. (It was not complete, either; he was just nice enough to let us in to look at it.)

Perhaps going for the largest they make and putting more than one together like RW said might make it work for me (I really do like the idea and, from the outside, they look cool). In any case, others might not have the closed-in; walls-falling-on-you feeling I had.

Maybe, if I built one (or had one built), I could make straight inner walls and use the areas that creates for something like book cases, storage closets, etc.
There is no such thing as the largest one they make. You make them whatever size you want. There are no limits. There are different designs though.
Almost all Geodesic Domes are based on the Icosahedron.
Dodecahedron.
Octahedron.
Tetrahedron.

Here is everything you want to know about domes: http://www.domerama.com/

They have calculators to determine the length of each strut. You design it before you build it. Just like any house. And like any house, there are no size limits.

domes.png
So, in case anyone is interested, here are some plans.

Fred
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fred »

No tools required. Not even a screwdriver.
Children can put these together.
Very strong.

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

Fred wrote: May 27th, 2023, 4:11 pm No tools required. Not even a screwdriver.
Very strong.
Yum! It would be awesome to try this.

mudflap
captain of 1,000

Post by mudflap »

Very strong.
Children, you say? ;)

Fred
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fred »

mudflap wrote: May 27th, 2023, 7:54 pm
Very strong.
Children, you say? ;)

That's pretty impressive. But takes considerably more knowledge and expertise than the dome. The girls could put the dome together without dad.

mudflap
captain of 1,000

Post by mudflap »

Fred wrote: May 27th, 2023, 8:06 pm
mudflap wrote: May 27th, 2023, 7:54 pm
Very strong.
Children, you say? ;)

That's pretty impressive. But takes considerably more knowledge and expertise than the dome. The girls could put the dome together without dad.
I'll grant you that.

but not by much. LHBA's youngest builder was a 14 yr old who took the class and then built a log cabin on his parent's property by himself.

mudflap
captain of 1,000

Post by mudflap »

maybe this should go here:
lots of good ideas there - wife uses those simple cleaners, and we make the bread, too.

Not sure about grey water from the washing machine - doesn't it have phosphates from the soap? wonder how they deal with that. maybe they make their own phosphate free laundry soap.

but you don't have to suffocate in LA with high taxes and crime to do it. Why not live somewhere cheap, safe, and 2A supportive and do the same thing? I mean, land in LA - crazy expensive. I'll bet their house cost them more than $200k when they bought it 10 years ago.

You could buy the same house here in the south for like $40k. seriously. You can still buy a little rinky dink house like this for cheap. see them all the time.

and for $200k, you can get a really nice new house on 1/2 acre.

Of course, we like our huge $60k house we built ourselves on almost 4 acres. tons of space for our blueberries, blackberries, apples, bananas, chickens. soon we'll have a large vegetable garden, wheat, bees, more fruit like strawberries, cherries, etc.

ultimately, I'll get the garage / workshop built, and start making my furniture, doors, tables, etc; do some tutoring, maybe teach music.

good stuff, overall.

tmac
captain of 1,000

Post by tmac »

You’re the Man Mudflap!

mudflap
captain of 1,000

Post by mudflap »

tmac wrote: October 15th, 2023, 8:22 am You’re the Man Mudflap!
Thanks!

i mean, I would LIKE to be. not there yet. still have to work for a living so I can have money to build things we need.

But yeah: get out of debt. I think that opens the door to a lot of things. And "getting out of debt" does not necessarily follow "making lots of money". some money, yes. But I think it has more to do with cutting expenses - living on less. making do. dumpster diving, if necessary. scrounging, thrifting, trading, investing. learning skills and trades. becoming knowledgeable.

Fred
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fred »

mudflap wrote: October 15th, 2023, 7:56 am maybe this should go here:
lots of good ideas there - wife uses those simple cleaners, and we make the bread, too.

Not sure about grey water from the washing machine - doesn't it have phosphates from the soap? wonder how they deal with that. maybe they make their own phosphate free laundry soap.

but you don't have to suffocate in LA with high taxes and crime to do it. Why not live somewhere cheap, safe, and 2A supportive and do the same thing? I mean, land in LA - crazy expensive. I'll bet their house cost them more than $200k when they bought it 10 years ago.

You could buy the same house here in the south for like $40k. seriously. You can still buy a little rinky dink house like this for cheap. see them all the time.

Of course, we like our huge $60k house we built ourselves on almost 4 acres. tons of space for our blueberries, blackberries, apples, bananas, chickens. soon we'll have a large vegetable garden, wheat, bees, more fruit like strawberries, cherries, etc.

ultimately, I'll get the garage / workshop built, and start making my furniture, doors, tables, etc; do some tutoring, maybe teach music.

good stuff, overall.
They are doing a lot of the right things in the wrong place. Like building a palace in Sodom. Maybe they don't plan on living long enough to enjoy it. For what their 1/12 of an acre is worth, they could build something real nice someplace safe. But, maybe they better stay where they are. We don't need any Californians around here.

tmac
captain of 1,000

Post by tmac »

I agree.

But that's how I view Riverbeds Ranch too -- a lot of the right stuff in the wrong place. But not as wrong as LA.

Again, what are the three most important things in real estate?: Location, Location, Location. And LA (nor any big city) is a great prepper survival location. But I haven't watched the video, so they may have other agendas as well, that make LA a better fit. I wish them well.

As Fred has noted, if they stay put, it is that many less we have to contend with somewhere else.

Mala_Suerte
captain of 100

Post by Mala_Suerte »

[snipped out video]

good stuff, overall.
To the bold part above, if you plan to use gray water, from sink, tubs/showers, washing machine, etc., you need to switch to a natural soap/detergent and don't use bleach.

mudflap
captain of 1,000

Post by mudflap »

Mala_Suerte wrote: October 16th, 2023, 1:58 pm

[snipped out video]

good stuff, overall.
To the bold part above, if you plan to use gray water, from sink, tubs/showers, washing machine, etc., you need to switch to a natural soap/detergent and don't use bleach.
I was going to say....

But yeah.

here in the south, we don't usually have problems with not enough rain.

I could probably dig down 20 feet anywhere on my property and find water.

Mala_Suerte
captain of 100

Post by Mala_Suerte »

mudflap wrote: October 16th, 2023, 5:09 pm
Mala_Suerte wrote: October 16th, 2023, 1:58 pm

[snipped out video]

good stuff, overall.
I was going to say....

But yeah.

here in the south, we don't usually have problems with not enough rain.

I could probably dig down 20 feet anywhere on my property and find water.
In the South, people would be bettered served to collect rain water than they would be creating a grey water system. We lived in Oklahoma for years and average rainfall was 38" - the same as Seattle, if I recall correctly. My current location in the Rockies receives about 12" of rain per year. Here, a grey water system would make sense. We may setup such a system before we finish our walkout basement and enclose all of the pipes.

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Post by BeNotDeceived »

March8miracle.org, KOSU and Post Office on 38th street in sipcode 73008 made for good sippage, but soon spy heads north to spy’s address that matches the next major eclipse in the 49th state.