In Church Today..

This is the place where you can discuss things completely Off Topic.
Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: In Church Today..

Post by Niemand »

Not exactly church, but I was doing open mike the other night. I was allotted seventeen minutes towards the end, but decided to do under a ten. A friend of mine was wanting to get up and sing with the band, but was a little shy to do so. Because I finished early I didn't wear out my own welcome, and I created a space for him to perform. Both of us went down well.

It reminds me of the old stage joke about "Get the Hook!" about dreary or dreadful stage acts. Sometimes in church, I want to get a massive hook and pull the speakers off the stand. Maybe that's why RC and Orthodox bishops have a big shepherd's crook?
Attachments
k183_stagehook.jpg
k183_stagehook.jpg (73.95 KiB) Viewed 456 times
The-Hook.jpg
The-Hook.jpg (68.13 KiB) Viewed 456 times

J2
captain of 100

Post by J2 »

Niemand wrote: April 24th, 2023, 4:56 am
CuriousThinker wrote: April 23rd, 2023, 7:36 pm I always think it's funny that some of the people who emphasize ending on time are the very ones that often make sacrament go over.
In my old ward there were a couple of people who at different times took the entire 40 minutes. This was when sacrament was 70 minutes. There were other people ready to speak. They got pushed to later weeks. It is really inconsiderate.
Isn't the obvious answer to put these people last? Let's see how they like racing against the clock! People aren't so patient when it comes to the end of sacrament meeting. The last talk I gave was in final position and was cut short but not by this much.
Yeah, the obvious answer is to give the most important speaker the first slot.

I witnessed the exact opposite thing take place recently. I attended a homecoming and the returning missionary took up the entire meeting. He apparently lost track of the time. However, his talk was so spirit filled that nobody seemed to mind, and at the end the Bishop said the second speaker will speak next week.

TheDuke
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by TheDuke »

Well, in church today, things went a bit awry for me. It is Mother's Day. I expected some motherly smothering for my sweetheart. I got a regurgitated GC talk by some unknown 70 about ministering in both sacrament and EQ. I pulled the bishop aside and asked him how the topics are selected. He said by prayer. I mentioned that I felt that ministering is a 5th Sunday topic and not quite appropriate for Mother's Day. He said they prayed hard and were inspired, (BTW no one was inspired by the topic today in either meeting that I could see, but people, like sheep sucked it all up).

Anyway, he said MD is secular and the FP and down wish to more away from secular. I responded that I have had clear revelation that mother's are sacred and not a secular topic. I told him I would take my family to mass if this is how the church wants to be as there at least they would focus on a Christian Theme on special days.

Three times he told me that, I and others are too secular. I am about the least secular person in the ward, I don't care about any pompous stuff. He said they talked about it and decided mothers are the best ministers (BTW ministering is PH thing not a woman's thing so he's way off base). I said that was a stretch but even so, if he spent 2 minutes honoring mothers that would have been nice. He asked my name and said he felt I was too aggressive and threatening. I asked what I had threatened him with. he said going to mass! How woke is that? He felt threatened when I said I would rather take my family to another meeting on religious holidays? How is that threatening to him? He repeated that I was threatening and he was uncomfortable.

I told him he was the bishop and could do what ever he wanted but I was a husband and could do what I felt was best for my family and I couldn't imagine what kind of spirit told him that a lousy GC talk by an unknown 70 about ministering was anything about respecting mothers. He repeated how he felt threatened. I said just ex me then as I feel strongly the spirit isn't telling him that. And he mentioned how SLC wanted full down playing of secular notions.

Anyway, left again feeling like the church is moving away. Our stake went woke when reorganized. He is a young, Dr. that lives in the rich area and makes a big deal about marrying a Hindu woman and converting her. I have never had words with a bishop before. Disagreeing yes, but always they've been courteous and kind and might say thanks for your input, we'll consider it vs. you are too secular and I feel threatened (in the middle of the chapel).

Sad day for me.

TwochurchesOnly
captain of 1,000

Post by TwochurchesOnly »

TheDuke wrote: May 14th, 2023, 2:44 pm Well, in church today, things went a bit awry for me. It is Mother's Day. I expected some motherly smothering for my sweetheart. I got a regurgitated GC talk by some unknown 70 about ministering in both sacrament and EQ. I pulled the bishop aside and asked him how the topics are selected. He said by prayer. I mentioned that I felt that ministering is a 5th Sunday topic and not quite appropriate for Mother's Day. He said they prayed hard and were inspired, (BTW no one was inspired by the topic today in either meeting that I could see, but people, like sheep sucked it all up).

Anyway, he said MD is secular and the FP and down wish to more away from secular. I responded that I have had clear revelation that mother's are sacred and not a secular topic. I told him I would take my family to mass if this is how the church wants to be as there at least they would focus on a Christian Theme on special days.

Three times he told me that, I and others are too secular. I am about the least secular person in the ward, I don't care about any pompous stuff. He said they talked about it and decided mothers are the best ministers (BTW ministering is PH thing not a woman's thing so he's way off base). I said that was a stretch but even so, if he spent 2 minutes honoring mothers that would have been nice. He asked my name and said he felt I was too aggressive and threatening. I asked what I had threatened him with. he said going to mass! How woke is that? He felt threatened when I said I would rather take my family to another meeting on religious holidays? How is that threatening to him? He repeated that I was threatening and he was uncomfortable.

I told him he was the bishop and could do what ever he wanted but I was a husband and could do what I felt was best for my family and I couldn't imagine what kind of spirit told him that a lousy GC talk by an unknown 70 about ministering was anything about respecting mothers. He repeated how he felt threatened. I said just ex me then as I feel strongly the spirit isn't telling him that. And he mentioned how SLC wanted full down playing of secular notions.

Anyway, left again feeling like the church is moving away. Our stake went woke when reorganized. He is a young, Dr. that lives in the rich area and makes a big deal about marrying a Hindu woman and converting her. I have never had words with a bishop before. Disagreeing yes, but always they've been courteous and kind and might say thanks for your input, we'll consider it vs. you are too secular and I feel threatened (in the middle of the chapel).

Sad day for me.
😳😡🤯

CuriousThinker
captain of 1,000

Post by CuriousThinker »

TheDuke wrote: May 14th, 2023, 2:44 pm Well, in church today, things went a bit awry for me. It is Mother's Day. I expected some motherly smothering for my sweetheart. I got a regurgitated GC talk by some unknown 70 about ministering in both sacrament and EQ. I pulled the bishop aside and asked him how the topics are selected. He said by prayer. I mentioned that I felt that ministering is a 5th Sunday topic and not quite appropriate for Mother's Day. He said they prayed hard and were inspired, (BTW no one was inspired by the topic today in either meeting that I could see, but people, like sheep sucked it all up).

Sad day for me.
That's awful! Apparently my bishop didn't get the memo cause both talks were on the divinity of motherhood AND the primary children got up and sang a song for the mothers.

Just wondering, why do you think ministering is only for the Priesthood?

TheDuke
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by TheDuke »

CuriousThinker wrote: May 14th, 2023, 4:41 pm

Sad day for me.
That's awful! Apparently my bishop didn't get the memo cause both talks were on the divinity of motherhood AND the primary children got up and sang a song for the mothers.

Just wondering, why do you think ministering is only for the Priesthood?
that is fantastic! Thanks for sharing. As I have often said, I wonder when issues arise from SLC and from a 70 or SP or bishop. That's two that didn't have my experience, so not from SLC. I asked if it was our 70 (who put us under the bit for COVID tracing etc... and I wrote emails to get no response). As this wasn't an issue before COVID and we have the same SP. We do have a new bishop and I came away thinking he is an arrogant young Dr type. Maybe it is him, but I spoke with my friend a counsellor and he didn't finger the bishop, but up our food chain?

Lizzy60
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Lizzy60 »

I guess my daughter’s ward (in my Stake) didn’t get the secular message from the FP either. They had a brunch for all the women, and it was served outside during the second hour because the Fire Dept was checking out a fire alarm that went off at the end of Sac Mtg. Brunch al fresco — delightful!!!

TheDuke
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by TheDuke »

So, it is looking like a local fiasco to me! Willing fight my bishop and even SP, but not lose myself over it. Just ride it out. The wokeness wreaks in my new ward.

Mamabear
captain of 1,000

Post by Mamabear »

Sad day for me.
That’s unfortunate. The last thing moms need to hear about on Mother’s Day is ministering. Most moms already feel guilty for not doing enough on the endless checklist and feel they can never measure up. On their way to prayerfully select a topic, they forgot to use logic and reasoning.

TheDuke
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by TheDuke »

Mamabear wrote: May 14th, 2023, 6:15 pm

Sad day for me.
That’s unfortunate. The last thing moms need to hear about on Mother’s Day is ministering. Most moms already feel guilty for not doing enough on the endless checklist and feel they can never measure up. On their way to prayerfully select a topic, they forgot to use logic and reasoning.
Exactly!

I'm a guy looking to get from church some minor clues of doctrine to study (never happens much any more) not touchy-feely stuff. BUT, on Mother's Day I want mothers feeling good, same as dads on father's day, and about baby Jesus on Christmas, and Jesus' death and resurrection on Easter. We got none of these in this new ward. I guess my bishop feels all these things are secular.

It cannot just be him. he has 2 normal counsellors? Has to be some stake or 70 level interference here.

bbrown
captain of 100

Post by bbrown »

My mother in law (very mainstream Mormon) said she spoke on mothers today. And she’s under the same area presidency as the duke.

Wolfwoman
captain of 1,000

Post by Wolfwoman »

I guess I’m the opposite because I could have done without so much Mother’s Day stuff in my ward today.
The primary singing a song is great. The talks were fine, though I think that sacrament meeting should be focused more on the Savior.
Then for relief society it was a brunch. Not something I’m interested in doing. So I went home. And then went to the cemetery to visit my mother’s grave.
I’d be fine with just receiving a flower or candy bar or whatever and a “Happy Mother’s Day”. I don’t need a brunch and no lesson when I’m going to church to be fed spiritually.

TheDuke
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by TheDuke »

bbrown wrote: May 14th, 2023, 7:09 pm My mother in law (very mainstream Mormon) said she spoke on mothers today. And she’s under the same area presidency as the duke.
Great input! thanks! Narrowing it down. It looks like SP and or bishop then. I think perhaps some woke stake people. They collapsed our stake late last year from 8 to 5 wards. Doing so they couldn't leave anything intact to make sure everyone had equal unhappiness. We are two buildings away with 3.5 wards in the stake center while the building 1 mile from my home is occupied by a a ward 7 miles away? Because they didn't want empty buildings. they renamed every ward to a woke, non-city/community name. released all 8 bishops and every ward calling in all wards (kept only stake leaders) and took 3 months to recall everyone to be fair and inclusive. Then they only met 1 hours for 3 months as they had no EQ or SS or bishops counsellors for a long while. All to be inclusive.

I say this as it seems my stake has been woked! My bishop sure is woke. And I like our SP and one counsellor (not a fan of the other one at all).

spiritMan
captain of 1,000

Post by spiritMan »

TheDuke wrote: May 14th, 2023, 6:13 pm So, it is looking like a local fiasco to me! Willing fight my bishop and even SP, but not lose myself over it. Just ride it out. The wokeness wreaks in my new ward.
I'm very sorry TheDuke that wokeness has infected your ward. It is a pathogen that once you get one or two people being completely open in wokeness then the entire ward crumbles. Basically, you have a couple of people who push the boundaries to see if they get a reaction; if they don't or don't get told to knock it off then it spreads until many others start preaching wokeness.

I don't want to deal with progressive woke crap in Church on Sunday when I deal with it every other day of the week. It is just so distracting that it interferes with worship of God and Christ.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Reluctant Watchman »

Sad day for me.
Ministering isn’t for women?

JuneBug12000
captain of 1,000

Post by JuneBug12000 »

spiritMan wrote: May 14th, 2023, 9:32 pm
TheDuke wrote: May 14th, 2023, 6:13 pm So, it is looking like a local fiasco to me! Willing fight my bishop and even SP, but not lose myself over it. Just ride it out. The wokeness wreaks in my new ward.
I'm very sorry TheDuke that wokeness has infected your ward. It is a pathogen that once you get one or two people being completely open in wokeness then the entire ward crumbles. Basically, you have a couple of people who push the boundaries to see if they get a reaction; if they don't or don't get told to knock it off then it spreads until many others start preaching wokeness.

I don't want to deal with progressive woke crap in Church on Sunday when I deal with it every other day of the week. It is just so distracting that it interferes with worship of God and Christ.
I think this is true I've seen wards destroyed pretty quickly once.wokeness takes hold.

One ward I was in, in provo, had a RS lesson by a queer former member, and even though the bishop tried to right the ship, within the next 5 years the former bishop's wife left him over his not supporting their LGBTQ kid. The current (at the time) bishop's counselor was arrested for some kind of porn something. The next bishop quit the church entirely, while bishop, and it went on from there. All the chaos started by woke BYU students.

Chip
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Chip »

Sad day for me.

Strange how some people tend to perceive challenges as "feeling threatened". This is definitely a "liberal" thing, in my experience. Libs are so worm-like.

Ymarsakar
captain of 1,000

Post by Ymarsakar »

Duke, ur bishop is doing u a service. The service of a mirror. Since that is how you act here as well. You act like that bishop at times.

Ymarsakar
captain of 1,000

Post by Ymarsakar »

Chip wrote: May 15th, 2023, 12:11 am

Sad day for me.

Strange how some people tend to perceive challenges as "feeling threatened". This is definitely a "liberal" thing, in my experience. Libs are so worm-like.
No it is not a demoncrat thing. People do it on these forums too.

Godislove
captain of 100

Post by Godislove »

Our sacrament meeting was 2 return missionaries reporting. There was no mention of Mother's Day in sacrament other than a song performed by the primary children. Honestly I feel like the whole church traditional Mother's Day experience is something we can do without.
I just don't feel it's the churches job to give me warm fuzzies on Mother's Day.
Also, it's kind of gotten to the point that I feel it takes away from the other meetings....it's usually a sacrament dedicated to Mother's, followed by the men taking over classes for the women, followed by a R.S. lesson after which the women are served desserts by the men.
And while it's all very thoughtful, ask me what gets done for the men on Father's Day? Nothing compared to what is done for the women at least in my experience and yet none of us could be Mother's without a father.

captainfearnot
captain of 1,000

Post by captainfearnot »

TheDuke wrote: May 14th, 2023, 2:44 pm Anyway, he said MD is secular and the FP and down wish to move away from secular.
I would bet dollars to donuts that there was a basketball goal somewhere in view when he said this.

silverado
captain of 100

Post by silverado »

TheDuke wrote: May 14th, 2023, 8:43 pm
bbrown wrote: May 14th, 2023, 7:09 pm My mother in law (very mainstream Mormon) said she spoke on mothers today. And she’s under the same area presidency as the duke.
Great input! thanks! Narrowing it down. It looks like SP and or bishop then. I think perhaps some woke stake people. They collapsed our stake late last year from 8 to 5 wards. Doing so they couldn't leave anything intact to make sure everyone had equal unhappiness. We are two buildings away with 3.5 wards in the stake center while the building 1 mile from my home is occupied by a a ward 7 miles away? Because they didn't want empty buildings. they renamed every ward to a woke, non-city/community name. released all 8 bishops and every ward calling in all wards (kept only stake leaders) and took 3 months to recall everyone to be fair and inclusive. Then they only met 1 hours for 3 months as they had no EQ or SS or bishops counsellors for a long while. All to be inclusive.

I say this as it seems my stake has been woked! My bishop sure is woke. And I like our SP and one counsellor (not a fan of the other one at all).
Maybe Mothers Day is too gender specific for them.

TheDuke
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by TheDuke »

Well the Lord wants me to be attending the LDS church. 2 of 4 times he has spiritually enlightened me during sacrament meeting with deep understanding and has opened my eyes.

Sunday, as I posted on another thread about John Pratt, he opened my learning about the plan of salvation and the process of probationary efforts. and it was so powerful that my bishop, that I haven't spoken to since the conflap a while back, hurried down and hugged me and told me thanks for being there. As the spirit came over me (actually right after), I looked up and could see the bishop staring at me. I was reading Pratt on my phone along with D&C 129 then I had my eyes closed. The spirit was bright.

Anyway, we're friends again, I guess. I'm not angry but made no bones that I have things to say to him, from the Lord. He said he'd listen more openly. We'll see. But what I did get was a confirmation by a third party that what I learned was not only true but directly from the Holy Ghost.

I am so sorry for all those that feel their god told them to quit coming to LDS church........ Not the god of the Holy Ghost but to each their own god(s) I suppose. Mine has for the second time in less than 10 days not only spoken to me but brought other individuals into my spiritual circle (4 individuals) to manifest the truth of it to me, and on occasion to them.

Chip
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Chip »

We heard yesterday in a sacrament talk....

"Worthiness is how God sees you and how the church leaders see you."

TwochurchesOnly
captain of 1,000

Post by TwochurchesOnly »

Chip wrote: June 26th, 2023, 6:16 pm We heard yesterday in a sacrament talk....

"Worthiness is how God sees you and how the church leaders see you."
Worthiness is how the leaders see themselves 🤓
Anointed, holy, pillars of truth