Where would you start looking for off grid property?

Discuss the last days, Zion, second coming, emergency preparedness, alternative health, etc.
mudflap
captain of 1,000

Re: Where would you start looking for off grid property?

Post by mudflap »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: April 30th, 2023, 7:48 am I found the experience of this man in building a cob home in northeastern Missouri to be enlightening. If you live in a cold climate, you need insulation. Straight cob construction is not ideal in cold climates:

https://theyearofmud.com/2011/03/03/cob ... d-climate/
wow. you never see folks admitting mistakes like this. I would've thought cob would be excellent at keeping you warm, once you warm it up. I wonder what he plans on doing now.

Did he not use a vapor barrier? that's what it's for - it stops moisture from condensing, which would be a big problem in a humid climate like MO.

And could you not use foam as part of the barrier? EPS foam covered with mud seems like it would be a pretty efficient home.

Seems like cob is well adapted to desert living - where you want to keep cool during the heat of the day. It would be good for that, I would think. If it tends towards equilibrium, then at night when it is cool, the thing would cool down. Then during the hot day, it would stay cool for most of the day, until evening, and then retain that heat overnight. What do you think?

Straw bale is appealing in this situation - the straw would have excellent thermal properties.

FWIW, the local utility co. did an efficiency study using my plans for a log home - R15 is the minimum requirement for exterior walls around here. Since a typical pine log has r-values of 1.5 per inch, this means an 8" log = R12 (8*1.5=12). My logs average 17", so they have an r-value of about R25. When the outside was completely chinked, I noticed some improvements in the inside temperatures - they were more stable. Even on a hot day when it's 90+ with 80% humidity, the inside stays a lot drier and cooler - basically follows whatever the low was for the night before (that's the thermal mass working). At any rate, they calculated that my log home will be at least 1/3 more efficient than a standard framed home.

Not all log cabins are the same - the biggest logs I've seen for kit homes are 8". They get around the r-value issue (r12, but r15 is required) by adding some closed-cell foam in between the logs. But I've heard from a lot of folks with kit homes in the north who say they are always cold in the winter - they can't get the wood stove hot enough to overcome the chill in the air inside.

This winter when we had 3 days of -5 for the high (extremely rare here in the South), The best I could do with my little parlor stove was to get the inside up to about 38 degrees. Granted, the poor stove was trying to heat about 40,000 cubic feet of air and 300 tons of logs, so I would never expect it to get the temps into the 70's with the thing not completely insulated - the gable ends are not insulated at all at this point - they are 40' x 10' triangles, so I'm losing a lot of heat through them. What I AM curious about is how it will fare when I get the HVAC unit hooked up - At the first cold snap we get, I expect the HVAC unit to have to work hard to get the temp regulated, but then once it reaches equilibrium, I think it will require minimal use.

Still, reports from others are encouraging: my friends in WA state had that summer of 115 days for a few weeks, with no AC in their log home, and they said it never breached 80 inside.

it sounds like you should build with what's available in your area. lots of trees= build with logs. lots of sand/clay = build with adobe/cob. lots of straw = strawbale.

Fred
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fred »

This guy has made several what he calls earthships. Thing is he heats and cools without electricity. He also uses his water 4 times before it is used outside for it's final purpose.

FreedomWorks
captain of 50

Post by FreedomWorks »

If I wanted to live off-grid, producing all my own food, water and power, surrounded by others doing the same, I'd start looking for property at Riverbed-Ranch.com.

Here's my 2 bed/1.5 bath off-grid starter home, that's costing me around $125k:
When it's 32 degrees outside, with just sunlight, the highly-insulated house warms up to 70 degrees!
In fact, just yesterday, when it was 81 degrees outside, the house was a cool 69 inside (with no A/C).

Riverbed Ranch, a resident-owned off-grid community, already has:
  • Over 100 residents,
  • A parent-led homeschool co-op,
  • A starter health clinic staffed by a very experienced nurse,
  • A fully-trained volunteer fire department,
  • Its own concrete plant that will deliver concrete the NEXT day,
  • Frequent group-buys where residents save each other a bunch of money on building supplies, and

Cruiserdude
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Cruiserdude »

FreedomWorks wrote: April 30th, 2023, 3:50 pm If I wanted to live off-grid, producing all my own food, water and power, surrounded by others doing the same, I'd start looking for property at Riverbed-Ranch.com.

When it's 32 degrees outside, with just sunlight, the highly-insulated house warms up to 70 degrees!
In fact, just yesterday, when it was 81 degrees outside, the house was a cool 69 inside (with no A/C).

• Over 100 residents,
  • Frequent group-buys where residents save each other a bunch of money on building supplies, and
I think it's incredible what y'all have built out there and it's very inspiring.... Keep it up!!!

mudflap
captain of 1,000

Post by mudflap »

Cruiserdude wrote: April 30th, 2023, 4:11 pm
FreedomWorks wrote: April 30th, 2023, 3:50 pm If I wanted to live off-grid, producing all my own food, water and power, surrounded by others doing the same, I'd start looking for property at Riverbed-Ranch.com.

• Over 100 residents,
I think it's incredible what y'all have built out there and it's very inspiring.... Keep it up!!!
same.

Anybody who is looking to do something like this and wants to still live in Utah, I think Riverbed ranch is "the place" to do it.

technomagus
captain of 50

Post by technomagus »

mudflap wrote: April 17th, 2023, 9:19 am Here's a better option, IMO:

beautiful!
but how do we get more info, Mudflap?
join https://freedomcells.org/ and find out.
Mudflap!
This is exactly what Im looking for. Im in southern UT and we are prepping to sell our home (out in the county on a couple acres off a dirt road) this summer. I'm having a hard time finding any posts in the forums on Ozarks or Missouri that talk about this. Im interested. Reach out to me!

mudflap
captain of 1,000

Post by mudflap »

technomagus wrote: April 30th, 2023, 10:54 pm
mudflap wrote: April 17th, 2023, 9:19 am Here's a better option, IMO:

beautiful!
but how do we get more info, Mudflap?
join https://freedomcells.org/ and find out.
Mudflap!
This is exactly what Im looking for. Im in southern UT and we are prepping to sell our home (out in the county on a couple acres off a dirt road) this summer. I'm having a hard time finding any posts in the forums on Ozarks or Missouri that talk about this. Im interested. Reach out to me!
awesome. Join freedomcells.org , then ask to join this group/cell : https://freedomcells.org/cells/southwes ... uri-group/ , and contact "David" (you'll see the ad with the same post I screenshotted).

Fred
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fred »

mudflap wrote: April 30th, 2023, 7:32 pm

• Over 100 residents,
same.

Anybody who is looking to do something like this and wants to still live in Utah, I think Riverbed ranch is "the place" to do it.
Too many restrictions for me, but it is making the news...
You don't own the land.
You have to do stuff to please the "HOA"
What you do is everyone's business.

Kind of like renting, but you waste money on improving someone else's property.

mudflap
captain of 1,000

Post by mudflap »

Fred wrote: May 4th, 2023, 4:35 am

same.

You don't own the land.

I thought you became a voting shareholder - part of the co-op?

Seems expensive to me, but if you want to be part of a well-supported off-grid group, I don't know what your other options are. Buying a big parcel, dividing it up, and selling it to whomever, independent of each other, seems like a crap-shoot to me. But being too independent - like me: buying a piece and trying to do it all solo - probably isn't going to work either.

I propose: a network of independent folks and/or co-ops all over the country / world, all connected by some sort of "federated" or "distributed" internet / mesh network / ham radio. We could have our own mail system, freight system, online shopping, support groups, parts suppliers, food networks. Freedomcells.org is a good place to make local connections as well as interconnecting on various subjects. for the networking - I'm still working on that one - but this thread has some options: viewtopic.php?p=1149942#p1149942

I've fixed up a second laptop to use as a server - going to try yunohost this time - has the ability to run an e-commerce server, blogging support, federated networking (you can run a fork of Diaspora on it, apparently). I currently run a laptop in a closet as a "freedombox" server - right now, just a small website - but freedombox doesn't seem to be evolving in a direction that supports a lot of "parallel society" apps like I think it should (mostly: no ecommerce and no social networking). Yunohost looks like it is including more apps, so I'll give it a shot.

Fred
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fred »

mudflap wrote: May 4th, 2023, 6:26 am

same.

You don't own the land.

Seems expensive to me, but if you want to be part of a well-supported off-grid group, I don't know what your other options are. Buying a big parcel, dividing it up, and selling it to whomever, independent of each other, seems like a crap-shoot to me. But being too independent - like me: buying a piece and trying to do it all solo - probably isn't going to work either.

I propose: a network of independent folks and/or co-ops all over the country / world, all connected by some sort of "federated" or "distributed" internet / mesh network / ham radio. We could have our own mail system, freight system, online shopping, support groups, parts suppliers, food networks. Freedomcells.org is a good place to make local connections as well as interconnecting on various subjects. for the networking - I'm still working on that one - but this thread has some options: viewtopic.php?p=1149942#p1149942

I've fixed up a second laptop to use as a server - going to try yunohost this time - has the ability to run an e-commerce server, blogging support, federated networking (you can run a fork of Diaspora on it, apparently). I currently run a laptop in a closet as a "freedombox" server - right now, just a small website - but freedombox doesn't seem to be evolving in a direction that supports a lot of "parallel society" apps like I think it should (mostly: no ecommerce and no social networking). Yunohost looks like it is including more apps, so I'll give it a shot.
There is a guy on here that is a member. Not me, though. I have 10 acres and am doing some of what you are doing. Although, my house is not nearly as good as yours.

I have tried sharing, but decided I was better off just working with neighbors.

Lineman1012 has a ham network. He lives in Arizona.

mudflap
captain of 1,000

Post by mudflap »

Fred wrote: May 4th, 2023, 9:27 am
mudflap wrote: May 4th, 2023, 6:26 am

You don't own the land.

There is a guy on here that is a member. Not me, though. I have 10 acres and am doing some of what you are doing. Although, my house is not nearly as good as yours.

I have tried sharing, but decided I was better off just working with neighbors.

Lineman1012 has a ham network. He lives in Arizona.
yeah, we were blessed with some really good neighbors. Seems like a nice little town, situated away from it all. Most folks have an independent spirit. close to hunting and fishing and a major navigable river, protected by some mountains (utahspeak = "hills") from a lot of the targets of nuclear shenanigans; and upwind and upstream as well. good farmland, good climate, plenty of water and trees for building.

I'm sure your home is fine. we didn't do ours to show off, but rather did it because it can be done by non-builders and can be done for extremely cheap ($20/sq ft) - and we wanted to move in debt free. taking a lot longer than I thought. hopefully we can get there in a few months and things don't get super crazy in the world before then.

FreedomWorks
captain of 50

Post by FreedomWorks »

same.

You don't own the land.

For the record:
* 95% of the "restrictions" come from government agencies, not from the co-op. We're VERY libertarian.
* You DO own the land, along with 249 other shareholders.
* We have no HOA, no town council (the county is our government). The co-op is a business, run as a business by an elected board. They don't make social or behavioral rules.
* You can be as unsocial as you want to be. If you don't tell, no one will know what you're business is.
* More like what it actually is, an auto-renewing 99 year lease. You can enjoy your improvements for as long as you live, and then your heirs can after that.

It's not for everyone, and that's OK! :)
I like to think of it as a "place of security", as mentioned in the October 2020 General Conf.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Reluctant Watchman »

Seriously considering this shipping container setup when we move...

Well... the video can't be embedded, you can view it here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EO5VBhC ... ilOff-Grid

mudflap
captain of 1,000

Post by mudflap »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: May 8th, 2023, 11:54 am Seriously considering this shipping container setup when we move...

It's not a bad idea. shipping containers go for around $3k-$5k for a 40' around here. I got mine for $700 - guy wanted it off the commercial property. I then paid $700 to have it moved to my cabin. It's where I store my tractor for now and other stuff. I'd like to attach a lean-to shed roof to the side. I don't know - I'm going to build a log garage first, and if that works, I'll probably get rid of the container.

Cruiserdude
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Cruiserdude »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: May 8th, 2023, 11:54 am Seriously considering this shipping container setup when we move...

A container build is definitely in the realm of possibility for me.... Just found out 2 weeks ago that an aunt of mine on 80 wooded acres in Birch Tree, Missouri wants to give me 5 acres to build my tiny 'whatever' on.....there isn't necessarily a group or community of like minded around there..... but at this point beggars can't be choosers and who knows, maybe it's one of those 'if I build it, they will come' kinda things...
Options and possibilities are always a good thing... I like that double container with the A frame style setup in that video 👍

Cruiserdude
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Cruiserdude »

Where you moving? You pick that yet?

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Cruiserdude wrote: May 8th, 2023, 1:08 pm
Still looking at the lower 48. While Missouri sounds nice, I kind of want less humidity and more distinct seasons.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Cruiserdude wrote: May 8th, 2023, 1:08 pm A container build is definitely in the realm of possibility for me.... Just found out 2 weeks ago that an aunt of mine on 80 wooded acres in Birch Tree, Missouri wants to give me 5 acres to build my tiny 'whatever' on.....there isn't necessarily a group or community of like minded around there..... but at this point beggars can't be choosers and who knows, maybe it's one of those 'if I build it, they will come' kinda things...
Options and possibilities are always a good thing... I like that double container with the A frame style setup in that video 👍
The offer from your aunt sounds pretty cool!

Here's another container build option/style:

Cruiserdude
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Cruiserdude »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: May 8th, 2023, 1:25 pm
Still looking at the lower 48. While Missouri sounds nice, I kind of want less humidity and more distinct seasons.
Gotcha 👍

mudflap
captain of 1,000

Post by mudflap »

A container build is definitely in the realm of possibility for me.... Just found out 2 weeks ago that an aunt of mine on 80 wooded acres in Birch Tree, Missouri wants to give me 5 acres to build my tiny 'whatever' on.....there isn't necessarily a group or community of like minded around there..... but at this point beggars can't be choosers and who knows, maybe it's one of those 'if I build it, they will come' kinda things...
that's awesome! don't look a gift horse in the mouth - just start building your log cabin there. :)

Dusty Wanderer
captain of 1,000

Post by Dusty Wanderer »

That's really cool -- some good ideas to incorporate in my own designs.

My main concern while watching it was snow load. Perhaps they're building it in an area that doesn't receive much snow. But if you were, I noticed that any snow sliding off that metal roof will pile up on top of the storage containers. This might lead to a couple potential problems:
  • As the snow piles up, the snow on the roof will be prevented from sliding off, which will build-up. So I would want to make sure the trusses and whatever the trusses are resting on (on the containers) will be able to support the snow load.
  • With how the trusses don't extend to the outside of the container walls, I would be concerned that melting water could be impeded by snow pile-up and draining water would be directed toward the inside covered area. Perhaps this isn't a concern, but I think it would happen. Unless they are sealing along where the gabled roof connect to the container so it cannot drain inside.

mudflap
captain of 1,000

Post by mudflap »

Dusty Wanderer wrote: May 8th, 2023, 3:51 pm

My main concern while watching it was snow load. Perhaps they're building it in an area that doesn't receive much snow. But if you were, I noticed that any snow sliding off that metal roof will pile up on top of the storage containers. This might lead to a couple potential problems:
  • As the snow piles up, the snow on the roof will be prevented from sliding off, which will build-up. So I would want to make sure the trusses and whatever the trusses are resting on (on the containers) will be able to support the snow load.
  • With how the trusses don't extend to the outside of the container walls, I would be concerned that melting water could be impeded by snow pile-up and draining water would be directed toward the inside covered area. Perhaps this isn't a concern, but I think it would happen. Unless they are sealing along where the gabled roof connect to the container so it cannot drain inside.
I would just extend the roof over the containers - problem solved. As for snow removal: https://www.facebook.com/LADbible/video ... 391352167/

best tool I've seen.

Dusty Wanderer
captain of 1,000

Post by Dusty Wanderer »

mudflap wrote: May 8th, 2023, 8:53 pm
Dusty Wanderer wrote: May 8th, 2023, 3:51 pm

I would just extend the roof over the containers - problem solved. As for snow removal: https://www.facebook.com/LADbible/video ... 391352167/

best tool I've seen.
Cool tool. Would definitely want to extend that roof out, though. If you did, you could use the tops of the containers as loft space under the roof.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Ok, I'm geeking out on Earthships. It's at the top of my list of home-building methods. This one is more on the fancy side, but the general premise is the same for this type of build. Why don't we build like this today? Passive heating and cooling. The idea is so simple. Plus you collect the rainwater and reuse it for showers, toilets, and watering plants.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Here’s another walkthrough of a more simplified Earthship. The previous video was in Montana and the windows were slanted. This build has straight windows, most likely because it is situated in New Mexico and the temperature is hotter.