Strange experience in Walmart parking lot. What did I see?

This is the place where you can discuss things completely Off Topic.
Seed Starter
captain of 1,000

Strange experience in Walmart parking lot. What did I see?

Post by Seed Starter »

I was reminded about this experience by another thread yesterday. I wanted to see if you thought what I thought or had some other ideas. Last summer we had a population explosion of cats and had to find homes for them. I wanted them gone so bad I sat in front of the local Walmart entrance trying to find homes for them. I felt ridiculous but the cats went away :D As we sat there feeling sorry for myself trying to look happy I noticed people doing what they do. I saw a newer black SUV with tinted windows and two hispanic men driving. I noticed they stopped in between rows of cars and started talking o a hispanic man. All men looked mid 20's. I wouldn't be a big deal but then they did it again, same situation.

The hispanic guy walking into Walmart didn't look like he knew the guys in the SUV. Nothing was exchanged but I saw them shake their heads no and walk away from the vehicle. Then it happened a 3rd time. The guys in the SUV were really working on this guy. They were too far away to hear anything but I began to think I was watching something go down. The looks on the men's faces had a look about them. I have no problem with race but I felt like I saw greed. The man walked away and I just had to know what these men were asking the customers. I stopped the customer and asked what they said. He said "No habla ingles." I was so mad I couldn't talk to this guy. I wish I knew Spanish. At least then he could have told me to get lost in Spanish. Now I don't know if he just said that to avoid answering. The guys in the black SUV trolled around a bit more and left. I still wonder if I should have called someone. Talking to people isn't a crime but this stood out big time. Why were they only talking to people who looked hispanic? Were they trying to hire someone for legitimate work or some sort of trafficking thing? They looked like they had money so maybe that got my attention.

What do you think I saw?

gkearney
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Strange experience in Walmart parking lot. What did I see?

Post by gkearney »

Sound like people trying to hire day laborers.
Last edited by gkearney on April 29th, 2023, 6:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

Probably haggling over tamales.

Seed Starter
captain of 1,000

Post by Seed Starter »

gkearney wrote: April 28th, 2023, 9:32 pm Sound like people trying to hire say laborers.
I think that's odd on a Saturday late afternoon. I know that has been a thing in Home Depot parking lot but typically that's early morning so they can work that day. Never seen it at our Walmart before. Why would they just be asking hispanics and ignoring everyone else? That wasn't a work truck they were in, blacked out windows, nice wheels etc.

Cruiserdude
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Cruiserdude »

Seed Starter wrote: April 28th, 2023, 10:13 pm
gkearney wrote: April 28th, 2023, 9:32 pm Sound like people trying to hire say laborers.
I think that's odd on a Saturday late afternoon. I know that has been a thing in Home Depot parking lot but typically that's early morning so they can work that day. Never seen it at our Walmart before. Why would they just be asking hispanics and ignoring everyone else? That wasn't a work truck they were in, blacked out windows, nice wheels etc.
Sounds like trying to get someone to go in on a scam with them somehow. There's all sorts, scams in gift cards, scams in returns, scams in the store credit, etc.... Walmart also does money orders to foreign folks and cashes checks and all that stuff.... So based off what I understand in how you describe what you saw, my guess would be you saw someone trying to pull some type of scam, somehow someway.

BigT
captain of 100

Post by BigT »

All kinds of strange things go down in large parking lots. Here in S Utah County people try to steal children in parking lots, as well as I’m sure the purses of distracted mothers shopping with small children.

nightlight
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by nightlight »

Coyotes doing door to door sales