Getting laid off in a week

This is the place where you can discuss things completely Off Topic.
mes5464
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Getting laid off in a week

Post by mes5464 »

JuneBug12000 wrote: April 20th, 2023, 8:12 am
JuneBug12000 wrote: April 19th, 2023, 2:44 pm As a side note my husband just got a job again after 9 months with only 1 offer we couldn't take.

The job market is crazy right now. Lots of interviews but little hiring. All the jobs he applied for are still posted and he's and engineer with 20 years experience.

Things work out. We didn't lose our house. We paid all our bills and have a little left in savings. We ate up the majority of our food storage, but God provides in his own way and time.

Prayers for you.
I feel like I should make note that he didn't get a job as an engineer, but a laborer.

We had one other layoff at the beginning of the 2008 recession but the experience and job hunting were totally different. Something has changed in the economy and we aren't the only ones seeing it.

We had multiple high paying jobs with 5+interviews all the way up to CEOs that said they would have offers by a certain day just ghost.

Something is weird.

Be prepared to do something different and be prepared to take a huge paycut.
If he has 20 years experience I think that would put him close to my age.

I have noticed that it is becoming harder to find work the older I get. People aren't interested in hiring someone as old as I am.

I agree that things are changing and I really don't know what to make of it. I do not know how to maneuver in this economy. I feel the say as you that I will need to change careers and I'm okay with that. I think your husband changing from engineer to laborer is more common. People are looking for someone that can do, not just think. I have considered taking up furniture making or leather working. I'd like to make shoes because I think people will need that. When we finally go to war with China there will not be anything for people to buy and we will have to be prepared to make it ourselves.

Fred
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fred »

This guy sells over a million dollars in cleaning supplies at side of road.

mudflap
captain of 1,000

Post by mudflap »

mes5464 wrote: April 19th, 2023, 12:20 pm I was told Monday I'm getting laid off by the end of next week.

I'm living on 13 acres and would love someway to make a living from this land. Any suggestions?

Also, looking for work if anyone knows someone needing a programmer.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/smithmarion/

By the way, LinkedIn is getting really woke!
I just deleted my linkedin profile after the ceo is paying for a stupid lawsuit against trump. go woke, go broke, I'm not using their stupid platform anymore.

don't know much about the programming world, sorry. seems like you could work from home for a lot of jobs, though.

My buddy built a log cabin BnB on his 40 acres near the Appalachian trail.

no matter how you slice it, making enough money from land you live on is hard work. And you probably won't be able to do it by just doing one thing with it. Folks I talk to that try this all have multiple income streams - repair small engines, sell specialty crops, contract jobs, blogging, etc. - but all of that takes years to set up to the point it provides anything resembling "an income".

I'm with Junebug - reduce your expenses.

I wish you the best!

mudflap
captain of 1,000

Post by mudflap »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: April 19th, 2023, 2:12 pm I've heard of small farms being able to turn $50-60K profit from selling high-demand fruits and produce. It's a lot of work, but is doable if you make the right connections to sell your produce.
yes. like this: https://permacultureapprentice.com/how- ... et-garden/
When I asked JMF about this income, he replied: “Our economics are not complicated. We sell around 150k of veggie produce on-site. Our cost of production (including two salaries for employees that are around 6 months) makes up about 50 % of that amount. The other half is the net profit that my wife and I share. Our salaries, if you want.”

anonymous91
captain of 100

Post by anonymous91 »

Another option is storage units. It doesn't take a lot of land, it is fairly hands-off & can be scaled up. Here are a couple of articles to get an idea of the costs and potential profits.

https://sweatystartup.com/179-how-profi ... -facility/

https://www.projectionhub.com/post/how- ... t-facility

If you are looking for something smaller to start up, I run an eBay business part-time, and that can be very profitable, depending on various factors. Here are a couple of Youtube channels that provide good info. for starting, organizing, and running an eBay business. Good Luck!

https://www.youtube.com/@UrbanPicker

https://www.youtube.com/@dailyrefinement/videos

tmac
captain of 1,000

Post by tmac »

mes5464 wrote: April 20th, 2023, 12:47 pm
JuneBug12000 wrote: April 19th, 2023, 2:44 pm As a side note my husband just got a job again after 9 months with only 1 offer we couldn't take.

The job market is crazy right now. Lots of interviews but little hiring. All the jobs he applied for are still posted and he's and engineer with 20 years experience.

Things work out. We didn't lose our house. We paid all our bills and have a little left in savings. We ate up the majority of our food storage, but God provides in his own way and time.

Prayers for you.
I feel like I should make note that he didn't get a job as an engineer, but a laborer.

We had one other layoff at the beginning of the 2008 recession but the experience and job hunting were totally different. Something has changed in the economy and we aren't the only ones seeing it.

We had multiple high paying jobs with 5+interviews all the way up to CEOs that said they would have offers by a certain day just ghost.

Something is weird.

I have noticed that it is becoming harder to find work the older I get. People aren't interested in hiring someone as old as I am.

I agree that things are changing and I really don't know what to make of it. I do not know how to maneuver in this economy. I feel the say as you that I will need to change careers and I'm okay with that. I think your husband changing from engineer to laborer is more common. People are looking for someone that can do, not just think. I have considered taking up furniture making or leather working. I'd like to make shoes because I think people will need that. When we finally go to war with China there will not be anything for people to buy and we will have to be prepared to make it ourselves.
It used to be that if you were over 60, it was hard to get a job. Then it became 50. Now it’s 40. Age/experience don’t seem to be any advantage in the modern job market.

Since you live on acreage, I will mention Joel Salatin, who is considered an expert/guru in the alternative agriculture world. He has written a number of good books. But one of his foundation enterprises that can be done on almost any size acreage, and in almost any location, is “pastured poultry,” with an emphasis on broilers that he produces in small moveable pens that he moves to fresh feed every day. Free range eggs and pastured broilers seem to be a winning combination.

I turn some in Anabaptist (Amish/Mennonite) circles, and many/most of them are self-employed. One of the most impressive things about Anabaptists is their basic productive (as opposed to consumptive) orientation. It used to be that small-scale dairying was the agricultural/economic mainstay in many of those circles, but as the dairy industry changed, became highly over-regulated, etc., it became harder and harder for many of them to make a living in small-scale dairy. So, many turned to construction, sawmills, woodworking and furniture-making, which are now the economic mainstays in many of those communities. Consequently, when you drive through the Amish countryside at this point, their farms are dotted with small sawmills and wood shops.

On that score, some here may be acquainted with Hyloglyph, who isn’t Amish, and doesn’t seem to post much here any more. But he is a very successful, high-end wood furniture maker, and is living proof that it can be done.

I personally really like the shoe-making idea. It’s something that everyone needs, and in my view would be a great basic skill. Finding good quality shoes is something that I personally really struggle with.

Small retail, with an emphasis on basic, high quality bulk foods, health foods, and/or discount items, is also something the Anabaptists do a lot.

And I know a family who started a small, from-scratch Amish bakery on their small farm essentially out in the middle of nowhere. They called it “Worth the Drive Family Bakery,” and it became very successful.

One of their neighbors did something similar with a small feed mill emphasizing non-GMO sourced grains. They called it “Farmstead Supply,” and it likewise became very successful.

If you were Amish, with a large family to provide labor, you might do all of those things, including pastured poultry, and a wood shop and/or shoe shop.

I have been around it enough that I certainly know that they can make it work. Hopefully, you can find a combination that works well for you too.

In my own life, I fully recognize that, financially, there (economic ruin), but for the grace of God go I. So in my view, the single biggest key is simply discovering what God has in mind/store for you, and acting in alignment. There can be millions of great ideas, but if they are not in alignment with what God has in mind for you, they may not mean much for you, personally. What are your gifts/talents? Seek first to know and understand God’s will for you. And that can be both a process, a trial, and a refiners fire. But when you find it, hopefully sooner rather than later, the stars will align for your benefit.

God bless you and yours on the journey.

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

anonymous91 wrote: April 22nd, 2023, 1:57 am Another option is storage units. It doesn't take a lot of land, it is fairly hands-off & can be scaled up. Here are a couple of articles to get an idea of the costs and potential profits.

https://sweatystartup.com/179-how-profi ... -facility/

https://www.projectionhub.com/post/how- ... t-facility

If you are looking for something smaller to start up, I run an eBay business part-time, and that can be very profitable, depending on various factors. Here are a couple of Youtube channels that provide good info. for starting, organizing, and running an eBay business. Good Luck!

https://www.youtube.com/@UrbanPicker

https://www.youtube.com/@dailyrefinement/videos
Oh, this post reminded me of something probably even easier--storage for RV's, boats, etc. Put up a security fence and cameras, etc., and charge people $80/month to store their "thing". 10 things=$800, 20=$1600 (of course your rate might be different). I've seen one or two places with what seems 100's of them, and a few smaller ones with maybe 20.

Being There
captain of 1,000

Post by Being There »

mes5464 wrote: April 20th, 2023, 12:47 pm

Prayers for you.

Something is weird.

when and if we finally go to war with China, (but even if never,)
you're right, there will not be anything for people to buy,
because people won't be using money to buy things.
Because China, and who ever else that will be starting the beast system
will have changed everything.

So if you're not planning on being part of
the beast system that will be controlling the World, and that will be coming soon,
and eventually will be throughout the entire World -
where you need their permission - the mark of the beast (whatever that may be) to buy or sell,
you'll need to be off the grid, and be able to exchange goods and commodities with others.

We all need to start thinking about that, and what we're going to do about it -
what are our plans ?