Why so many temples?

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
Teancum1
captain of 100

Why so many temples?

Post by Teancum1 »

I’ve just been wondering why we are building so many temples. We’ve announced over 100 since Nelson has been in and somewhere around 200 since the 90’s.
In the Old Testament world there were only 2 temples built by the covenant people and 3 if you count the tabernacle. They will build a final temple in Jerusalem sometime soon.
In the 1830’s, there were revelations for the covenant people to build Kirtland, Far West and Nauvoo(never finished). Those are all recorded in scripture as revelations. Right?
Now we announce 12-15 every six months. No revelation announced? Goal is 500 by 2030?

Seems to me that we are jumping the shark a bit with this massive building project.
Does Mormon 8 apply?
32 Yea, it shall come in a day when there shall be churches built up that shall say: Come unto me, and for your money you shall be forgiven of your sins.
33 O ye wicked and perverse and stiffnecked people, why have ye built up churches unto yourselves to get gain?

The scripture teach of great destruction prior to the Lords second coming. Will these temples even survive this destruction?

Seems so arrogant to say that man made foundations will survive what God can do ? The safest place will be on our knees and not in a man made building.

JK4Woods
captain of 1,000

Re: Why so many temples?

Post by JK4Woods »

Teancum1 wrote: April 1st, 2023, 7:52 pm I’ve just been wondering why we are building so many temples. We’ve announced over 100 since Nelson has been in and somewhere around 200 since the 90’s.
In the Old Testament world there were only 2 temples built by the covenant people and 3 if you count the tabernacle. They will build a final temple in Jerusalem sometime soon.
In the 1830’s, there were revelations for the covenant people to build Kirtland, Far West and Nauvoo(never finished). Those are all recorded in scripture as revelations. Right?
Now we announce 12-15 every six months. No revelation announced? Goal is 500 by 2030?

Seems to me that we are jumping the shark a bit with this massive building project.
Does Mormon 8 apply?
32 Yea, it shall come in a day when there shall be churches built up that shall say: Come unto me, and for your money you shall be forgiven of your sins.
33 O ye wicked and perverse and stiffnecked people, why have ye built up churches unto yourselves to get gain?

The scripture teach of great destruction prior to the Lords second coming. Will these temples even survive this destruction?

Seems so arrogant to say that man made foundations will survive what God can do ? The safest place will be on our knees and not in a man made building.

See the thread somewhere here on the forum about how there are less and less baby boomer temple workers. The guys especially are falling off the rosters because of health and whatnot.

Altho having temple appts. helps with staffing ebb and flow….

Teancum1
captain of 100

Post by Teancum1 »

I’m not so good yet with finding previous discussing the same subject.

endlessQuestions
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by endlessQuestions »

JK4Woods wrote: April 1st, 2023, 7:56 pm
Teancum1 wrote: April 1st, 2023, 7:52 pm I’ve just been wondering why we are building so many temples. We’ve announced over 100 since Nelson has been in and somewhere around 200 since the 90’s.

Does Mormon 8 apply?

See the thread somewhere here on the forum about how there are less and less baby boomer temple workers. The guys especially are falling off the rosters because of health and whatnot.

Point of reference: I'm in a ward with a member of the Temple Presidency. Last Sunday he asked us to consider volunteering, and revealed that they are running the temple at less than 50% of the needed men at times.

Teancum1
captain of 100

Post by Teancum1 »

endlessQuestions wrote: April 1st, 2023, 7:59 pm
JK4Woods wrote: April 1st, 2023, 7:56 pm

Does Mormon 8 apply?

Point of reference: I'm in a ward with a member of the Temple Presidency. Last Sunday he asked us to consider volunteering, and revealed that they are running the temple at less than 50% of the needed men at times.
I live in the northern Rockies. They have announced two more temple in Wyoming and another in Montana. Billings is the current temple that serves this region and Northern Wyoming supplies quite a lot of workers. When Cody and Casper open, there will be a huge reduction of people to work in Billings and likely will struggle to staff Cody and Casper.
The numbers are down in my stake. I just don’t understand the push to spend so much money to build these “churches” that require tithe payers to attend when those numbers are down.

Do they just feel like they have to spend more money to justify the 175 billion?

Fred
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fred »

Some new temples are cash cows. Especially those in rural areas where they can be surrounded by new housing developments that sell quickly at high profits. But even in heavily populated areas, real estate is not going down. High dollar buildings hold their value well. Real estate is a good investment since they aren't making any more of it.

Cities like temples as they increase property values and therefore tax revenue. City prosecutors may not be so eager to prosecute child molesters when they come from big money.

Vast real estate holdings are less likely to be confiscated than cash, or precious metals.

Temples are an idol. A monument to wealth. Governments are less likely to bomb them.

Temples can easily have hidden rooms.

They hope it soothes God's anger about their lying and deceit.

Teancum1
captain of 100

Post by Teancum1 »

Fred wrote: April 1st, 2023, 8:09 pm Some new temples are cash cows. Especially those in rural areas where they can be surrounded by new housing developments that sell quickly at high profits. But even in heavily populated areas, real estate is not going down. High dollar buildings hold their value well. Real estate is a good investment since they aren't making any more of it.

Cities like temples as they increase property values and therefore tax revenue. City prosecutors may not be so eager to prosecute child molesters when they come from big money.

Vast real estate holdings are less likely to be confiscated than cash, or precious metals.

Temples are an idol. A monument to wealth. Governments are less likely to bomb them.

The population of Wyoming is barely over 500k with 67k members. Montana is barely over 1 million with 51k members. It is baffling that they are building so many temples without announcing that the Lord has revealed that these temples should be built.

cwass
captain of 100

Post by cwass »

It's one way to point out the growth of the church is expanding....when by most metrics you would say that church growth is flat.

Fred
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fred »

Teancum1 wrote: April 1st, 2023, 8:18 pm
Fred wrote: April 1st, 2023, 8:09 pm Some new temples are cash cows. Especially those in rural areas where they can be surrounded by new housing developments that sell quickly at high profits. But even in heavily populated areas, real estate is not going down. High dollar buildings hold their value well. Real estate is a good investment since they aren't making any more of it.

The population of Wyoming is barely over 500k with 67k members. Montana is barely over 1 million with 51k members. It is baffling that they are building so many temples without announcing that the Lord has revealed that these temples should be built.
My guess is that 100 new homes within a couple blocks of a new temple would sell at record prices quickly. $100k profit on each home times 100 is $10,000,000.00. Zions Bank holds the paper at 6%. The profit from the homes more than covers the cost of the temple. The temple equity doubles every ten years. Maybe more. The church tithe payers increase to facilitate temple attendance. Ensign Peak has to figure out what to do with all of the dough. The farmer that sold the church the land to build on gives 10% of it back.

That is a money machine.

endlessQuestions
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by endlessQuestions »

Fred wrote: April 1st, 2023, 8:35 pm

My guess is that 100 new homes within a couple blocks of a new temple would sell at record prices quickly. $100k profit on each home times 100 is $10,000,000.00. Zions Bank holds the paper at 6%. The profit from the homes more than covers the cost of the temple. The temple equity doubles every ten years. Maybe more. The church tithe payers increase to facilitate temple attendance. Ensign Peak has to figure out what to do with all of the dough. The farmer that sold the church the land to build on gives 10% of it back.

That is a money machine.
Somebody in another thread mentioned that they sat in a restaurant and listened to a very wealthy member of the Church explain that this was exactly the plan. I doubt I can find it, but maybe the person who wrote it will see this and point us to the right place.

Subcomandante
captain of 1,000

Post by Subcomandante »

Does Mormon 8 apply?

Responding to the OP:

Because they are needed, and the demand of members in doing the temple work demands it too.

Even under the current regimen, people travel twelve hours ONE WAY to go to Hermosillo from Culiacán. And that road is VERY dangerous until you hit Guaymas where it stabilizes a little. Culiacán will really benefit from a temple being announced there.

Think about the Mongolian members, who either have to fly to Korea or go through China down to Hong Kong. They will MORE than LIKELY get a temple announced either this conference or next.

TheDuke
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by TheDuke »

That is a money machine.

BS Fred, get a grip. Perhaps in Utah some how the bank gets the land adjacent, doubt it, there are almost always houses already around where temples are built (outside of Utah anyway). The land is already owned. Perhaps the property goes up, but only the current landowners make the profit, and worse the taxes go up, up and up. So, if you don't sell, you have the same house for twice tax!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Tired of the BS about making money off the temples. Need to get out of Utah a while and see where the new temples are being built.

I do agree that there seems little need for most of the new ones. Some make sense others (like Tacoma only 40 miles from Seattle where we have seemingly a 40% shrinkage in members, is odd.

Fred
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fred »

Did the Pharisees or Sadducees hold any keys?

Can the Priesthood only be passed on by someone that God approves? Certainly, Priesthood power can be removed by God at any time. Is this why the Q15 no longer administer to anyone?

There are some Bishops and Stake Presidents that still have the Priesthood authority and maybe even some GAs, but are there any of the Q15?

When the church is cleaned, how far down the authority chain will it go?

Fred
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fred »

TheDuke wrote: April 1st, 2023, 9:21 pm

That is a money machine.

BS Fred, get a grip. Perhaps in Utah some how the bank gets the land adjacent, doubt it, there are almost always houses already around where temples are built (outside of Utah anyway). The land is already owned. Perhaps the property goes up, but only the current landowners make the profit, and worse the taxes go up, up and up. So, if you don't sell, you have the same house for twice tax!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Tired of the BS about making money off the temples. Need to get out of Utah a while and see where the new temples are being built.

I do agree that there seems little need for most of the new ones. Some make sense others (like Tacoma only 40 miles from Seattle where we have seemingly a 40% shrinkage in members, is odd.
Well, maybe we will remember this thread when we find out where the new temples are actually built. In Wyoming or Montana it is ridiculous to think the church only buys 10 acres or so and that the land will be by an existing home. More likely they purchase 200 acres from a rancher and do exactly as I outlined earlier.

InfoWarrior82
Level 34 Illuminated
Location: "There are 15 on the earth today, you can trust them completely." -President Nelson (Jan 2022)

Post by InfoWarrior82 »

You know why. It's to justify their abandoning of the literal gathering of Israel.

Teancum1
captain of 100

Post by Teancum1 »

Subcomandante wrote: April 1st, 2023, 9:00 pm

Does Mormon 8 apply?

Responding to the OP:

Because they are needed, and the demand of members in doing the temple work demands it too.

Even under the current regimen, people travel twelve hours ONE WAY to go to Hermosillo from Culiacán. And that road is VERY dangerous until you hit Guaymas where it stabilizes a little. Culiacán will really benefit from a temple being announced there.

Think about the Mongolian members, who either have to fly to Korea or go through China down to Hong Kong. They will MORE than LIKELY get a temple announced either this conference or next.
I understand your point. Members in more remote places may have a difficult and expensive time getting to a temple. There are now 17 million members of which maybe 25-30% attend a sacrament meeting in a 6-8 week period of time. Of that what percentage pays tithing? When I was serving in leadership there was maybe 30-35% of active members who were full tithe payers. Those numbers don’t justify the massive increase in building. Do we even believe in the literal gathering of Israel?
Aside from that. I have my doubts as to the legitimacy of the endowment. The scarcity of the records of what Joseph taught, the changes in the ordinance itself, and D&C 124:28 For there is not a place found on earth that he may come to and restore again that which was lost unto you, or which he hath taken away, even the fulness of the priesthood. The fulness of the priesthood was lost and the Nauvoo temple was never completed while Joseph was alive. Joseph was removed out of their midst. That is a short list.

Most members who attend the temple, IMO, have little idea what the endowment is. The leadership seems to have failed in helping people to “see the face of God”. I feel like people in the church worship the temple more than the Savior. It almost seems a work of desperation to build these temples to energize a base that have turned over their salvation to following the prophet.
I believe a correction of some sort is coming. Among the Lords people it will begin.

Teancum1
captain of 100

Post by Teancum1 »

And again- why are there no revelations about temple building like the pattern found in the scriptures? Maybe I’m wrong, but TPTB have not stated they’ve received any revelation in this regard.

Subcomandante
captain of 1,000

Post by Subcomandante »

Teancum1 wrote: April 1st, 2023, 10:19 pm And again- why are there no revelations about temple building like the pattern found in the scriptures? Maybe I’m wrong, but TPTB have not stated they’ve received any revelation in this regard.
They do receive revelation for each and every temple built.

Not everything happens all at once though. Land is bought, plans are made. Sometimes, in the recent cases of Paris and now Bahia Blanca, some investigative news sources note what the Church does with land and then see some plans that the Church has had for specific areas.

Not even two weeks after the Puebla announcement was made, the rumor mill was running, saying that the temple would be built exactly where it is being built right now, even though it would be about a year between the temple announcement and the groundbreaking.

Negotiations often have to happen between Church representatives with governments and homeowner associations that are nearby.

This was not the case with the temples that we have in Scripture. Simply because government regulations were WAY different back then.

Teancum1
captain of 100

Post by Teancum1 »

Subcomandante wrote: April 1st, 2023, 10:31 pm
Teancum1 wrote: April 1st, 2023, 10:19 pm And again- why are there no revelations about temple building like the pattern found in the scriptures? Maybe I’m wrong, but TPTB have not stated they’ve received any revelation in this regard.

Not everything happens all at once though. Land is bought, plans are made. Sometimes, in the recent cases of Paris and now Bahia Blanca, some investigative news sources note what the Church does with land and then see some plans that the Church has had for specific areas.

Not even two weeks after the Puebla announcement was made, the rumor mill was running, saying that the temple would be built exactly where it is being built right now, even though it would be about a year between the temple announcement and the groundbreaking.

Negotiations often have to happen between Church representatives with governments and homeowner associations that are nearby.

This was not the case with the temples that we have in Scripture. Simply because government regulations were WAY different back then.
or simply because they are not revelations. They have not stated that they are revelations in any place I can find. I’d love to see their statements regarding any revelations that they have had so that I can see their fruits.

Subcomandante
captain of 1,000

Post by Subcomandante »

Teancum1 wrote: April 1st, 2023, 10:45 pm
Subcomandante wrote: April 1st, 2023, 10:31 pm

or simply because they are not revelations. They have not stated that they are revelations in any place I can find. I’d love to see their statements regarding any revelations that they have had so that I can see their fruits.
Temple locations do not have to be put into Scripture and revealed in that manner. That is between the Lord and His servants.

President Nelson was told by the Lord in a revelation to announce a temple for India, and that was cited shortly after that conference. The other temples, we don't have THAT specific of a record on it, not from any conference talk anyway.

But I am quite familiar with the process of how temples are built. LONG before a temple is announced for a region, the Church starts to develop in an area to the point where you have multiple stakes nearby (with a few exceptions for cases of extreme isolation).

Once this critical mass is reached, representatives of the Church look at available land that could be used to build a temple and let the government know of their intentions with the land. Those are the cases where you will have a temple announced and then groundbreaking within a few months.

Sometimes, the real revelatory experiences happen when no one is thinking about it, like the India case I mentioned above plus some others. In a VERY RARE case (Dubai is the only one I can think of at the moment), the government might invite the Church to build a temple in their land. Dubai wants to showcase a religiously plural society and not everyone is a rigid, implacable Wahhabi Muslim, which is why around the same time the Sikhs built a temple there too.

TheDuke
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by TheDuke »

Fred wrote: April 1st, 2023, 9:42 pm

That is a money machine.
yah, ok, you can look up the locations. cities in Europe, Tacoma Wa, sure a couple in Utah and desert. You're really reaching there. the list exists, feel free to look it up. Not places to make money. There are plenty of reasons IMO to worry about the leadership temple worship level under RMN, but it isn't so he can line his pockets. He had more money than he could use when 60 years ago.

Well, maybe we will remember this thread when we find out where the new temples are actually built. In Wyoming or Montana it is ridiculous to think the church only buys 10 acres or so and that the land will be by an existing home. More likely they purchase 200 acres from a rancher and do exactly as I outlined earlier.

Rumpelstiltskin
captain of 1,000

Post by Rumpelstiltskin »

Does Mormon 8 apply?

Good question, especially when after the end time dictator takes over, he will be against all things Christian. He'll go after anything that promotes Christ. I expect that all the temples and chapels with either be destroyed or turned into a hotel or brothel.

Fred
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fred »

TheDuke wrote: April 2nd, 2023, 12:02 am
Fred wrote: April 1st, 2023, 9:42 pm
yah, ok, you can look up the locations. cities in Europe, Tacoma Wa, sure a couple in Utah and desert. You're really reaching there. the list exists, feel free to look it up. Not places to make money. There are plenty of reasons IMO to worry about the leadership temple worship level under RMN, but it isn't so he can line his pockets. He had more money than he could use when 60 years ago.

Pick a city. Any city. Real estate is worth more in ten years. As far as investments go, land is a pretty safe bet. It beats hiding the cash in a mattress. How much more do you think the Los Angeles temple is worth today as compared to when it was built?

nightlight
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by nightlight »

Because our dads told them the kingdom of God cometh with observation

nightlight
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by nightlight »

The Crown Jewel must be the Changed Man......not a building made with hands

Mark:
“We heard him say, I will destroy this temple that is made with hands, and within three days I will build another made without hands.”

-------
Acts:
48 Howbeit the most High dwelleth not in temples made with hands; as saith the prophet,

49 Heaven is my throne, and earth is my footstool: what house will ye build me? saith the Lord: or what is the place of my rest?

50 Hath not my hand made all these things?

51 Ye stiffnecked and uncircumcised in heart and ears, ye do always resist the Holy Ghost: as your fathers did, so do ye.

52 Which of the prophets have not your fathers persecuted? and they have slain them which shewed before of the coming of the Just One; of whom ye have been now the betrayers and murderers:

53 Who have received the law by the disposition of angels, and have not kept it.

54 When they heard these things, they were cut to the heart, and they gnashed on him with their teeth.