Who REALLY Killed Joseph & Hyrum Smith? A Panel of Experts Debunk WKJS Using Real Ballistics and Forensic Evidence

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
stormcloak
captain of 100

Who REALLY Killed Joseph & Hyrum Smith? A Panel of Experts Debunk WKJS Using Real Ballistics and Forensic Evidence

Post by stormcloak »

This video is the first in a series to address the claims made by Justin Griffin in his docudrama released over a year ago, "Who Killed Joseph Smith?" This is the result of many months of painstaking work and meticulous research.
Description from the video:
In this 3 hour presentation, our panel of experts debunk the inside job theory of the Martyrdom of the Prophet Joseph Smith and his brother Hyrum in the movie, "Who Killed Joseph Smith?"

0:00 Intro
1:33 Historical Panel
1:22:35 Jim Tracy's Forensic Panel
2:03:50 Sam Weston's Ballistic Panel
2:38:32 Taylor Smith's Case Study on Who Killed Joseph Smith
3:24:12 Concluding Thoughts
Joseph Smith's martyrdom is a subject of much discussion lately. Many have wanted to cling onto a theory that Willard Richards and John Taylor (under the supposed direction of Brigham Young) actually assassinated Joseph and Hyrum Smith in Carthage Jail, rather than the mob who stormed the jail being responsible for the deed. This theory was first proposed in a lecture by an RLDS man named Joseph M. Smith (no relation to the Prophet), and was subsequently touched up and re-presented by Justin Griffin in a docudrama released in January 2022 called "Who Killed Joseph Smith?"

To anyone who has seriously researched the Martyrdom and the history around it, this theory falls flat on its face many times over. There are many eyewitness accounts of the Martyrdom—both friendly and unfriendly to the Church—who all definitely describe the deed being committed by the mob. There are many serious issues and leaps in logic which are required for one to imagine that Richards and Taylor were somehow in collusion with the mob, which in fact would have been directly against their own interests even if they were to have been alleged "conspirators" against the Prophet and his brother.

Why has this theory gained traction? Because since the modern LDS church promoted the vaccine, many formerly faithful members have come to question or abandon their testimony of the inspiration of the "brethren" in Salt Lake City. Those who have much deeper problems with the Restoration as a whole have seen this modern moment as a convenient backdrop to promote a pseudo-historical narrative which traces all the "problems" (i.e., doctrines they dislike) in the church today back to Brigham Young—whether or not he can justifiably be credited with such things.

While I fully agree and sympathize with those who question the inspiration of the modern brethren in promoting the poisonous Covid clotshot (I have had family members injured and killed by this death-concoction), I fully disagree with and reject the movement which attempts to lay the responsibility of the modern brethren's lack of inspiration at the feet of Brigham Young. The main reason that people seem to love to hate Brigham Young is because they hate the practice of polygamy, or Celestial Plural Marriage, as restored by Joseph Smith. Since the practice was revealed confidentially in Joseph Smith's lifetime, there are not many public statements from him on the matter. Those who want to discredit the practice due to their own personal antipathy for it, have latched onto many of Joseph's public statements which seem to deny the practice. He did this in order to protect his own life and those of the Saints, similar to Christ forbidding His Apostles to speak to anyone about His Transfiguration until after His Death and Resurrection (see Matthew 17:9, Mark 9:9, Luke 9:36; see also Joseph Smith—History 1:74).

However, these false ideas have been quite meticulously refuted in the following detailed presentations:
At one point, I found such arguments appealing and even believed them. I studied a book called Joseph Smith Revealed by Whitney Horning which convinced me for quite some time that Joseph Smith did not practice plural marriage. However, after a certain point, I set down the prejudices that had been instilled into me by this book and performed my own careful and prayerful study of the scriptures. Eventually, I came to realize that plural marriage is allowed under certain conditions by God and this is made plainly evident in passages which are both in the New and Old Testament. Before I ever reached this conclusion, however, I had come across this theory that Brigham Young and the Twelve Apostles were responsible for the murder of Joseph and Hyrum Smith. While I was still under the belief that Joseph Smith had not practiced plural marriage, I investigated this theory quite vigorously and eventually found that it was not sustainable by any solid historical evidence whatsoever. Even if Joseph Smith had not practiced plural marriage, there is not a single shred of reliable evidence to support the notion that Brigham Young, Willard Richards, or John Taylor killed Joseph Smith. And, frankly, I looked very hard for it.

Through my own personal revelations, historical research, and sacred witnesses from God, I have found this fictional narrative to be utterly untrue. I hope that all those with open minds and open hearts will prayerfully study these matters and not rely on the words of modern Korihor's and Nehor's for their understanding of the truth.

JLHPROF
captain of 1,000

Re: Who REALLY Killed Joseph & Hyrum Smith? A Panel of Experts Debunk WKJS Using Real Ballistics and Forensic Evidence

Post by JLHPROF »

Conspiracy theorists don't care about the actual historical records. They label any records that debunk their favorite theories as suspect, lies, and just part of the conspiracy.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Who REALLY Killed Joseph & Hyrum Smith? A Panel of Experts Debunk WKJS Using Real Ballistics and Forensic Evidence

Post by Reluctant Watchman »

JLHPROF wrote: March 31st, 2023, 8:47 pm Conspiracy theorists don't care about the actual historical records. They label any records that debunk their favorite theories as suspect, lies, and just part of the conspiracy.
Seems TBMs “don’t care about the actual historical records” at times as well.

Mindfields
captain of 1,000

Post by Mindfields »

There's no debunking of the debunking occurring. Both views are subjective and full of conjecture. People lie all the time. They did back then and they still do.

Luke
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Luke »

You sought the truth and you found it. I had a very similar experience. God bless you brother.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

JLHPROF wrote: March 31st, 2023, 8:47 pm Conspiracy theorists don't care about the actual historical records. They label any records that debunk their favorite theories as suspect, lies, and just part of the conspiracy.
Depends who they are. Some are very thorough. Most of the last three years has been a huge psy-op and you're called a "theorist" for mentioning things in plain sight.

NB – I don't think BY murdered JS.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

stormcloak wrote: March 31st, 2023, 8:34 pm While I was still under the belief that Joseph Smith had not practiced plural marriage, I investigated this theory quite vigorously and eventually found that it was not sustainable by any solid historical evidence whatsoever.
Just so you know, the church and church scholars don’t believe the narratives told by WR and JT…

Luke
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Luke »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: April 1st, 2023, 8:12 am
stormcloak wrote: March 31st, 2023, 8:34 pm While I was still under the belief that Joseph Smith had not practiced plural marriage, I investigated this theory quite vigorously and eventually found that it was not sustainable by any solid historical evidence whatsoever.
Just so you know, the church and church scholars don’t believe the narratives told by WR and JT…
There you go again, twisting things. This is not even remotely true. They think that certain aspects of their stories may not be completely correct, and with good reason, i.e. it all happened in a matter of moments, it was highly stressful and traumatic, and the accounts were written years later. Of course there’s bound to be inaccuracies, but the way you were going on, you’d think that the Church scholars believe that JT and WR were the assassins you think they are.

stormcloak
captain of 100

Post by stormcloak »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: April 1st, 2023, 8:12 am Just so you know, the church and church scholars don’t believe the narratives told by WR and JT…
I don't know which "church scholars" you're referring to, but I do know that Sam Weston believes the eyewitness accounts. He has worked at the Church History Museum, not sure if he still does, but is considered such an expert on Carthage that even Justin Griffin sought for his appearance in his movie (even without being honest in his intentions of what his movie would portray). Sam's views and discoveries are given in the video. He believes the eyewitnesses, and his findings validate their testimonies of what happened.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Luke wrote: April 1st, 2023, 12:11 pm
Reluctant Watchman wrote: April 1st, 2023, 8:12 am
There you go again, twisting things. This is not even remotely true. They think that certain aspects of their stories may not be completely correct, and with good reason, i.e. it all happened in a matter of moments, it was highly stressful and traumatic, and the accounts were written years later. Of course there’s bound to be inaccuracies, but the way you were going on, you’d think that the Church scholars believe that JT and WR were the assassins you think they are.
There are aspects to the narrative that are wrong. You take the apologetic viewpoint, there are many more.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

stormcloak wrote: April 1st, 2023, 12:19 pm
Reluctant Watchman wrote: April 1st, 2023, 8:12 am Just so you know, the church and church scholars don’t believe the narratives told by WR and JT…
I don't know which "church scholars" you're referring to, but I do know that Sam Weston believes the eyewitness accounts. He has worked at the Church History Museum, not sure if he still does, but is considered such an expert on Carthage that even Justin Griffin sought for his appearance in his movie (even without being honest in his intentions of what his movie would portray). Sam's views and discoveries are given in the video. He believes the eyewitnesses, and his findings validate their testimonies of what happened.
They "eye witnesses" don't agree, that much we can agree upon.

stormcloak
captain of 100

Post by stormcloak »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: April 1st, 2023, 1:39 pm They "eye witnesses" don't agree, that much we can agree upon.
In the most important aspects of the story, they most certainly do agree. The biggest problem with John Taylor's account is his story about the watch, which I addressed here: viewtopic.php?p=1372414#p1372414

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

stormcloak wrote: April 1st, 2023, 2:24 pm
Reluctant Watchman wrote: April 1st, 2023, 1:39 pm They "eye witnesses" don't agree, that much we can agree upon.
In the most important aspects of the story, they most certainly do agree. The biggest problem with John Taylor's account is his story about the watch, which I addressed here: viewtopic.php?p=1372414#p1372414
Oh, there's much more than just the watch.

stormcloak
captain of 100

Post by stormcloak »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: April 1st, 2023, 2:54 pm Oh, there's much more than just the watch.
And I presume you were there in 1844? :lol:

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

stormcloak wrote: April 1st, 2023, 2:56 pm
Reluctant Watchman wrote: April 1st, 2023, 2:54 pm Oh, there's much more than just the watch.
And I presume you were there in 1844? :lol:
We have the accounts. Have you read them?

stormcloak
captain of 100

Post by stormcloak »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: April 1st, 2023, 2:59 pm We have the accounts. Have you read them?
As I said in my original post, I have indeed. Have you read that?

I'm guessing you think his account of Hyrum's death is what's problematic, as that's what Justin Griffin's movie focuses on. Sam Weston has presented a very reasonable and plausible explanation to how this occurred. Taylor Smith's is quite similar, and is presented here:
Taylor's and Richards' account of Hyrum's death are almost exactly alike. So I'm really not sure how you think there's any inconsistency between them from an objective standpoint.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

stormcloak wrote: April 1st, 2023, 3:05 pm
Reluctant Watchman wrote: April 1st, 2023, 2:59 pm We have the accounts. Have you read them?
As I said in my original post, I have indeed. Have you read that?

I'm guessing you think his account of Hyrum's death is what's problematic, as that's what Justin Griffin's movie focuses on. Sam Weston has presented a very reasonable and plausible explanation to how this occurred. Taylor Smith's is quite similar, and is presented here:
Taylor's and Richards' account of Hyrum's death are almost exactly alike. So I'm really not sure how you think there's any inconsistency between them from an objective standpoint.
They are not "almost exactly alike."

stormcloak
captain of 100

Post by stormcloak »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: April 1st, 2023, 4:32 pm They are not "almost exactly alike."
In describing Hyrum's death, they are very similar:

Willard Richards' account:
General Joseph Smith, Mr. Taylor and myself sprang back to the front part of the room, and General Hyrum Smith retreated two-thirds across the chamber directly in front of and facing the door.

A ball was sent through the door which hit Hyrum on the side of his nose, when he fell backwards, extended at length, without moving his feet.

From the holes in his vest (the day was warm, and no one had his coat on but myself), pantaloons, drawers, and shirt, it appears evident that a ball must have been thrown from without, through the window, which entered his back on the right side, and passing through, lodged against his watch, which was in his right vest pocket, completely pulverizing the crystal and face, tearing off the hands and mashing the whole body of the watch. At the same instant the ball from the door entered his nose.

As he struck the floor he exclaimed emphatically, 'I am a dead man.' Joseph looked towards him and responded, 'Oh, dear brother Hyrum!' and opening the door two or three inches with his left hand, discharged one barrel of a six shooter (pistol) at random in the entry, from whence a ball grazed Hyrum's breast, and entering his throat passed into his head, while other muskets were aimed at him and some balls hit him.

(DHC 6:619-620)
John Taylor's account:
While in this position, the mob, who had come upstairs, and tried to open the door, probably thought it was locked, and fired a ball through the keyhole; at this Dr. Richards and Brother Hyrum leaped back from the door, with their faces towards it; almost instantly another ball passed through the panel of the door, and struck Brother Hyrum on the left side of the nose, entering his face and head. At the same instant, another ball from the outside entered his back, passing through his body and striking his watch. The ball came from the back, through the jail window, opposite the door, and must, from its range, have been fired from the Carthage Greys, who were placed there ostensibly for our protection, as the balls from the firearms, shot close by the jail, would have entered the ceiling, we being in the second story, and there never was a time after that when Hyrum could have received the latter wound. Immediately, when the ball struck him, he fell flat on his back, crying as he fell, 'I am a dead man!' He never moved afterwards.

I shall never forget the deep feeling of sympathy and regard manifested in the countenance of Brother Joseph as he drew nigh to Hyrum, and, leaning over him, exclaimed, 'Oh! my poor, dear brother Hyrum!' He. however, instantly arose, and with a firm, quick step, and a determined expression of countenance, approached the door, and pulling the six-shooter left by Brother Wheelock from his pocket, opened the door slightly, and snapped the pistol six successive times; only three of the barrels, however, were discharged.

(DHC 7:102)
I've bolded the similarities for you, since you don't seem too keen on reading things for yourself.

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

You only need to make one thread on a topic. Everyone registered here can read every subforum they want to.

TheDuke
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by TheDuke »

I liked the movie. It brought out many inconsistencies with LDS official narrative. but the second movie seemed to rebut much of the new theory as just a random theory. I personally think that both versions are flawed and the truth is more likely as the professional forensics guy said in the second movie.

I don't see BY and co murdering them. I see scared and weak men making up a story to cover their fear. But, to be clear even Peter suffered in a same manner, but only he could record what happened, but he admitted his fear and statements during the crucifixion. I wouldn't expect more from JS and WR.

But, I agree about the bad stories of large sized rifles vs. pistols (I have both BTW, I have killed animals, large and small with large bore black powder rifles; and I have shot many times my black powder revolver. and my revolver is the later version (1861) but in 45 cal not what they used then 36 cal, which is much smaller) No way a man is hit multiple times at close range with the even larger large bore (69 v. 50) mini-balls used at that time and gets up and walks away (maybe glanced but no direct hits). Also, I agree with the building not being shot from outside through window with muskets as I was there two summers ago and saw no marks on the stone like you see in Lexington, Concorde, or Antitum, etc....

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

TheDuke wrote: April 1st, 2023, 6:58 pm I liked the movie. It brought out many inconsistencies with LDS official narrative. but the second movie seemed to rebut much of the new theory as just a random theory. I personally think that both versions are flawed and the truth is more likely as the professional forensics guy said in the second movie.

I don't see BY and co murdering them. I see scared and weak men making up a story to cover their fear. But, to be clear even Peter suffered in a same manner, but only he could record what happened, but he admitted his fear and statements during the crucifixion. I wouldn't expect more from JS and WR.

But, I agree about the bad stories of large sized rifles vs. pistols (I have both BTW, I have killed animals, large and small with large bore black powder rifles; and I have shot many times my black powder revolver. and my revolver is the later version (1861) but in 45 cal not what they used then 36 cal, which is much smaller) No way a man is hit multiple times at close range with the even larger large bore (69 v. 50) mini-balls used at that time and gets up and walks away (maybe glanced but no direct hits). Also, I agree with the building not being shot from outside through window with muskets as I was there two summers ago and saw no marks on the stone like you see in Lexington, Concorde, or Antitum, etc....
And Hyrum isn't exclaing "Im a dead man" after the shot that went through the bottom of his chin, destroying his tongue/mouth, and exiting the left side of his nasal area.

stormcloak
captain of 100

Post by stormcloak »

TheDuke wrote: April 1st, 2023, 6:58 pm I liked the movie. It brought out many inconsistencies with LDS official narrative. but the second movie seemed to rebut much of the new theory as just a random theory. I personally think that both versions are flawed and the truth is more likely as the professional forensics guy said in the second movie.

There are accounts of the walls of the building being filled with holes in the 1800s from Joseph Smith's attorney and others. Joseph's attorney counted at least 35 bullet holes, and some old, contemporary books feature engravings which show quite a lot of holes in the walls.

The building was bought by the Church and also refurbished in the 20th century (multiple times actually), so that's why you don't see any bullet holes remaining there today. This has been addressed in a video here: https://youtu.be/HeIB5wMMjc8?t=1273

stormcloak
captain of 100

Post by stormcloak »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: April 1st, 2023, 7:03 pm And Hyrum isn't exclaing "Im a dead man" after the shot that went through the bottom of his chin, destroying his tongue/mouth, and exiting the left side of his nasal area.
According to Sam Weston, Hyrum likely made this statement after being shot in the back, not after being shot in the nose: viewtopic.php?p=1372585#p1372585

TheDuke
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by TheDuke »

stormcloak wrote: April 1st, 2023, 7:07 pm

There are accounts of the walls of the building being filled with holes in the 1800s from Joseph Smith's attorney and others. Joseph's attorney counted at least 35 bullet holes, and some old, contemporary books feature engravings which show quite a lot of holes in the walls.

The building was bought by the Church and also refurbished in the 20th century (multiple times actually), so that's why you don't see any bullet holes remaining there today. This has been addressed in a video here: https://youtu.be/HeIB5wMMjc8?t=1273
Not the stone walls. Perhaps the interior (though that would make the blood stains on the floor a problem) and the windows and woodwork around the windows. Possibly a small amount of exterior cement, but not the stones. Have you seen the Carthage jail in person? Those stones and the wrought iron with steel stars, etc... are all original. There are no/none/zero pot holes. Now go look at the other war sites, like the ones I mentioned. Years of renovations and even patched stones. but no one ever replaces any of the actual stones. You would have to disassemble the whole building to do that. Not possible. There were no muskets fired from the outside into the window side of the house. Muskets have a 6' CEP at 80 yards maximum. Not rifles but the claim was military muskets. And back then also flintlocks. They didn't have percussion caps for rifles in the military at that time either. Pistols, yes, some, few, many by 1860. but note the pistols used in Carthage didn't seem to either. Pepper box 6 shooter and single shot.

stormcloak
captain of 100

Post by stormcloak »

TheDuke wrote: April 1st, 2023, 9:07 pm Not the stone walls. Perhaps the interior (though that would make the blood stains on the floor a problem) and the windows and woodwork around the windows. Possibly a small amount of exterior cement, but not the stones. Have you seen the Carthage jail in person? Those stones and the wrought iron with steel stars, etc... are all original. There are no/none/zero pot holes. Now go look at the other war sites, like the ones I mentioned. Years of renovations and even patched stones. but no one ever replaces any of the actual stones. You would have to disassemble the whole building to do that. Not possible. There were no muskets fired from the outside into the window side of the house. Muskets have a 6' CEP at 80 yards maximum. Not rifles but the claim was military muskets. And back then also flintlocks. They didn't have percussion caps for rifles in the military at that time either. Pistols, yes, some, few, many by 1860. but note the pistols used in Carthage didn't seem to either. Pepper box 6 shooter and single shot.
Yes, I have been to Carthage Jail. As to your remarks regarding what damage occurred when, here's what has been documented in the historical record on the subject of the original damage and subsequent refurbishments to the jail. I've highlighted the portions which describe damage to the building as it was observed in the 1800s, and how the building was later changed. It sounds like the main damage observed was to the windows, window casings, some on the walls, and some on the inside walls. I don't see much mentioned about the exterior walls, but the jail has passed through a lot of hands and a lot of cleanup efforts have been made to reuse it for various purposes:
MARKS OF THE CONFLICT: "In 1857 we visited the Old Jail. The marks of the conflict in which the Smiths were killed have been preserved with scrupulous care.

"The bullet holes in the upper glass of the east window and on the walls and casings, remain just as the mob left them thirteen years before. Since then the window has been refilled, the casings renewed and the walls mostly plastered. Save the bullet holes through the door, and some perceptible indentations of bullets on the outside walls, there is little left [in 1866] as testimonials of the historic event which has made Old Jail famous throughout the world.

"The bullet hole in the door, through which Hyrum Smith was shot, is yet to be seen, as are also marks of bullets upon the walls outside and inside which were fired at Joseph Smith and Elder Taylor. The stains of blood upon the floor which flowed from the wounds of Hyrum Smith and John Taylor were plainly to be seen perhaps yet, as it is said that blood stains never wash entirely out of wood. Blood penetrates the wood. In foreign countries blood was used to stain wood in the kings' fine furniture."

(Carthage Republican Newspaper, July 19, 1866)
Fifteen months after the martyrdom, nearly sixty residents of Nauvoo, including apostles Heber C. Kimball, Parley P. Pratt, Brigham Young, Willard Richards, John Taylor, George A. Smith and Amasa Lyman, traveled to Carthage for legal business. After learning that the court was behind schedule, they made an impromptu visit to the jail, where they found the walls pocked with bullet marks and the stains of spattered blood on the jail floor. They examined the physical evidence of the murder and listened as Taylor and Richards narrated the events of the fateful afternoon and pointed out "the position in which the brethren stood to defend themselves at the time of the martyrdom."

The party of apostles and others who visited the jail apparently did so as an afterthought. Probably other Mormons on business in the county seat also visited the jail in the years immediately following the martyrdom. Others went out of their way to see the bullet holes and bloodstains. Shortly before they left Nauvoo, Horace and Helen Whitney visited the jailer and asked to see the upstairs room where the Prophet had spent his last hours. Nearly four decades later Helen recalled how "the stains of blood [had been] still quite visible," and there were "a number of bullet holes in the door." Exiting the jail, they stood by the well, where "Horace picked up a small chip covered with blood." He took the relic home and safeguarded it as he crossed the plains.

The visits to Carthage continued after the main body of Saints left Nauvoo. In 1860, for instance, Joseph F. Smith and his cousin Samuel Harrison Bailey Smith visited the jail en route to their mission field in Great Britain. Not only the faithful came to see the evidence of the murder. Frederick Piercy, a young British artist engaged by Mormon mission leaders in Liverpool to do sketches for an emigrants' guide sympathetic to Mormonism, visited in 1853. A girl showed him "the holes made in the wall by the bullets" as well as "the bullet hole in the door." She told him she had seen blood stains on the floor beneath the carpet. Piercy was "glad to leave" because "two lives unatoned for, and 'blood crying from the ground,' made the spot hateful." In 1857, a group of curious Hancock County residents visited the jail. They found bullet holes in a window pane and on the walls and casings that had been "preserved with scrupulous care" by the jailer. Local editors were prone to exaggeration as they boosted their communities, but the editor of the Carthage Republican claimed in 1867 that "many hundreds" visited the jail each year as sightseers.

In 1866 the county sold the building to Bryant F. Peterson, who intended to make it his home. In 1867 Peterson showed a visiting journalist "the middle door, through which Hyrum Smith was shot." It appeared that in the intervening years "some reckless relic hunter had cut a chip from one side of the old bullet hole." A "blood-stain on the floor" was also visible, although souvenir hunters had chipped away at it, too. Peterson said that "very many" travelers from Utah had visited the jail, lingering in "awe for half an hour or more." Other visitors came to gloat over the death of the Mormon Prophet. "These generally give vent to their feeling in boisterous wonderment, and not infrequently seriously annoy families residing in the old building by their pertinacious desire to explore every part of the house."

The number of Latter-day Saint visitors to Carthage increased in the 1880s and 1890s. In 1885, Franklin D. Richards and his son Charles visited. James and Eliza Browning, who had bought the building for their home, led the duo on a tour. The tour elicited a "wilderness" of contradictory emotions for Franklin. On the one hand, he was overcome with a peaceful sensation. The building "seems a place of peace," he wrote. On the other hand, Franklin was "filled with solemnity" as he contemplated "the mighty events which had transpired within its walls, of the dark cloud of sin which had rested upon it, and of the mighty martyrdom which had cried aloud to heaven and the ages from its bullet-torn frame." Franklin was overcome with both a deep "sadness" and "a compensating sensation of triumph" at the murderers' inability to thwart the church Joseph Smith had established.

In 1888, Andrew Jensen visited the jail in company with Edward Stevenson and Joseph Smith Black while on a research trip collecting material for a narrative history of the Church. The lady of the house, Elizabeth Browning, kindly gave the Utahns, two of whom had once lived in Nauvoo, the standard tour. She told them the supposed blood stain on the floor "could not be washed away." The visit to the jail, combined with written accounts of the martyrdom, brought the events to life for the visitors. "We are enabled to grasp the situation thoroughly," they reported. The scenes seemed "to pass in review before the eyes of our imagination so plainly and impressively, that the effects thereof surely will remain with us forever."

Traveling to or from their field of labor, missionaries also took a detour through Carthage, often at the suggestion of their mission presidents, in an effort to connect with their heritage. In 1887, Elders C. A. Terry and R. S. Gibby visited the Browning home and asked for a tour. The Brownings were "very kind" and showed them the original stairway, the bullet hole in the bedroom door and "a dark stain on the floor which is supposed to be the blood of Hyrum." Similarly, Elder Samuel Spencer visited Carthage upon the recommendation of his mission president in 1895. Standing on the site of the martyrdom, Spencer "found that I had learned more about the building" than in everything he had read on the subject.

n the spring of 1903 after her husband died, Eliza Browning decided to lease or sell the old jail. Having personally guided many Mormons through the structure, she knew of their intrinsic interest in the site and hoped to profit from it. G. Edmunds, a judge in Carthage and a friend of several Mormons in Utah, wrote to the First Presidency intimating that Browning would be willing to sell the jail. Joseph F. Smith replied that he and his associates had "not given any consideration" previously to the possibility of buying the building but that it would "please us to know what the place could be bought for." When Edmunds replied that the Church could have it for $4,000, Smith countered by offering $3,000, but Browning held firm. On September 24, the First Presidency and Twelve Apostles appropriated $4,000 for the purchase. Their decision guaranteed that the jail would be preserved and that Latter-day Saints would control any on-site interpretation of the martyrdom.

[...]

In 1939, Romney's successor as mission president, Bryant S. Hinckley, expanded missionary efforts at Carthage and Nauvoo in preparation for a gala celebration of the founding of Nauvoo. In 1938, Hinckley approached C. Herrick Hamilton, supervising architect of the Illinois Department of Public Works and Engineering. Hammond agreed to engage Illinois employees in conducting historical research and drawing up plans and specifications for restoring the old jail and grounds to their original appearance. Hinckley promised that the Church would undertake the actual restoration. The men assigned by Hamilton to study the building concluded after careful investigation that the second story room where Joseph and Hyrum were murdered, as well as the stairway leading to the room, contained the original oak doors and walnut trim and flooring. They noted, though, that the pine flooring in the jail cell itself, where John Taylor had bled, was newer and had replaced the original flooring there. Before the study was completed, Hinckley asked the First Presidency to call a missionary-minded couple with construction skills to restore the jail to its original appearance and construct a visitors' center next door. The Presidency tapped Joseph and Eunice McRae, who had previously directed the Western States Mission headquartered in Denver and edited the Liahona, a missionary magazine published by the Church. The McRaes arrived in Carthage March 29, 1938. On the day of their arrival they surveyed the building and inspected "the stains of blood still on the floor, as mute evidence of the terrible crime." Although the locals were friendly, the yard itself looked "dreary." They cleared away weeds, brush and "a dozen truck loads of trash."

The McRaes took charge of restoring the building as nearly as possible to its appearance in 1844. They "explor[ed] every nook and cranny, forc[ed] [their] way into every crevice that would permit the body of a man with a flashlight to learn if any thing was left to reveal the story of the building." After discovering that the mortar between the limestone blocks in the exterior wall was disintegrating, Mr. McRae reinforced the joints between the blocks with a cement mixture. Using paint remover and steel wool, the McRaes uncovered the original walnut and oak woodwork in the interior. They excavated the original well, decorated the interior of the jail with period furniture, and landscaped the grounds.

[...]

[A report in the files of the LDS Museum of Church History] indicates that Donald L. Enders of the Church Historical Department recalled having heard that T. Edgar Lyon, the historian for Nauvoo Restoration, Incorporated, had "uncovered evidence that most, if not all, of the original flooring in the Jail had been removed late in the nineteenth century" and that "Lyon had a photograph of the building taken while the floors were being removed." The report indicated further that Jim Kimball, son of J. LeRoy Kimball, "was not aware of Ed [Lyon] finding evidence that the floorboards had been replaced." The photo Enders remembered having seen (attached to [Jennifer] Lund's report) comes from Wilford C. Wood's album. It shows flooring being removed by two men and piled on the side of a room. However, the room pictured in the photograph does not appear to be the finished jailer's bedroom, which is shown in a separate photo taken on the same day. In 1962, the First Presidency formed Nauvoo Restoration, Incorporated, headed by Salt Lake physician J. LeRoy Kimball, who had purchased and restored his great-grandfather Heber C. Kimball's home. The corporation's purpose was to purchase and restore Mormon homes in Nauvoo in order to "perpetuate in history the part played by the Mormon Pioneers in the buildings of the West," announced David O. McKay. Although NRI initially confined its operations to Nauvoo, Carthage Jail eventually came under its purview.

(source: https://ensignpeakfoundation.org/wp-con ... Memory.pdf)