"Systemic Racism" is a Symptom of the Disease that Plagues the LDS Church - Institutional Abuse. Let's Cure the Disease.

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
Christianlee
captain of 1,000

Re: "Systemic Racism" is a Symptom of the Disease that Plagues the LDS Church - Institutional Abuse. Let's Cure the Dise

Post by Christianlee »

Hugh Akston wrote: March 23rd, 2023, 9:08 am That this might be motivated in large part by athletic conference politics is perhaps the most distressing and disgraceful realization of all.

It’s not hard to imagine a scenario where the church leaders are in a room of dark countenanced representatives from the UN, WEF, government and their billionaire cohorts, imploring the church to submit and join their cabal or be destroyed.

How much worse it is to think that instead this room is filled with network tv reps and influential booster alumni begging the church to sell it soul for middling sports notoriety and what amounts to a farthing.

The way that volleyball scandal at BYU was handled last summer marked the end of my tithing to this organization. Still doing fast offerings.
Most big time athletic departments are funded by revenue generated from boosters, television revenues and ticket/concession sales. BYU’s athletic department may be generating revenue for the academic side.

Christianlee
captain of 1,000

Re: "Systemic Racism" is a Symptom of the Disease that Plagues the LDS Church - Institutional Abuse. Let's Cure the Dise

Post by Christianlee »

endlessQuestions wrote: March 23rd, 2023, 9:14 am
Hugh Akston wrote: March 23rd, 2023, 9:08 am That this might be motivated in large part by athletic conference politics is perhaps the most distressing and disgraceful realization of all.

It’s not hard to imagine a scenario where the church leaders are in a room of dark countenanced representatives from the UN, WEF, government and their billionaire cohorts, imploring the church to submit and join their cabal or be destroyed.

How much worse it is to think that instead this room is filled with network tv reps and influential booster alumni begging the church to sell it soul for middling sports notoriety and what amounts to a farthing.

The way that volleyball scandal at BYU was handled last summer marked the end of my tithing to this organization. Still doing fast offerings.
I’m very stuck on the tithing issue. I feel there are good arguments for both continuing to pay and allowing these men to use the rope they’re given, as well as not paying so that I’m not literally finding the indoctrination of the army of the enemy.

I simply haven’t received any revelation yet, and I don’t care about Mammon, so we’ve kept paying. For the first time, though, my wife and I are having earnest discussions about this, and seeking the Lord’s will regarding how we can be good stewards over our resources.
Just consider tithing your membership dues.

endlessQuestions
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by endlessQuestions »

Christianlee wrote: March 23rd, 2023, 9:27 am

I’m very stuck on the tithing issue. I feel there are good arguments for both continuing to pay and allowing these men to use the rope they’re given, as well as not paying so that I’m not literally finding the indoctrination of the army of the enemy.

I simply haven’t received any revelation yet, and I don’t care about Mammon, so we’ve kept paying. For the first time, though, my wife and I are having earnest discussions about this, and seeking the Lord’s will regarding how we can be good stewards over our resources.
I consider tithing as presently constituted a large part of the system of abuse instituted by Brigham Young, Heber C. Kimball, and Willard Richards.

Just trying to figure out what the Lord wants me to do right now about it. Answer seems to be hang tight for a bit. We’ll see.

InfoWarrior82
Level 34 Illuminated
Location: "There are 15 on the earth today, you can trust them completely." -President Nelson (Jan 2022)

Post by InfoWarrior82 »

Here's the answer: tithing is paid to Jesus Christ's church. You need to find out what Jesus Christ defines as "His church".

Hint: you can tithe by donating to anyone or any group that has an eye single to His glory and actually building up the Kingdom of God on the Earth. You receive the same exact blessings.

simpleton
captain of 1,000

Post by simpleton »

endlessQuestions wrote: March 23rd, 2023, 9:36 am

I consider tithing as presently constituted a large part of the system of abuse instituted by Brigham Young, Heber C. Kimball, and Willard Richards.

Just trying to figure out what the Lord wants me to do right now about it. Answer seems to be hang tight for a bit. We’ll see.
I consider those three men (and others of their day) far above and beyond the reproach you guys keep throwing at/on them.
They were perfect angels compared to the devils running the show in the last 100 years.

endlessQuestions
Level 34 Illuminated

simpleton wrote: March 23rd, 2023, 12:45 pm

I consider those three men (and others of their day) far above and beyond the reproach you guys keep throwing at/on them.
They were perfect angels compared to the devils running the show in the last 100 years.
You seem to think more of them than many of their wives did.

simpleton
captain of 1,000

Post by simpleton »

endlessQuestions wrote: March 23rd, 2023, 12:52 pm

I think they were much more of "men" than us wimpy crybabies of today. No comparison at all.
And as far as wives are concerned, your going to tell me your wife has never had any hangups with you at times?.
Those women were free agents.

endlessQuestions
Level 34 Illuminated

simpleton wrote: March 23rd, 2023, 12:57 pm

I think they were much more of "men" than us wimpy crybabies of today. No comparison at all.
And as far as wives are concerned, your going to tell me your wife has never had any hangups with you at times?.
That’s a poor argument, from a logical standpoint.

Look, I don’t really care. If you think those three men were great and you want to emulate their behavior, by all means, do so.

I will not. I find many of their words and deeds reprehensible (as does the Church, apparently, based on their disavowal of many of their actions and doctrinal positions), and will choose to follow in the footsteps of other, more noble men.

We all get to choose. As you so rightly pointed out.

simpleton
captain of 1,000

Post by simpleton »

endlessQuestions wrote: March 23rd, 2023, 1:02 pm

Look, I don’t really care. If you think those three men were great and you want to emulate their behavior, by all means, do so.

I will not. I find many of their words and deeds reprehensible (as does the Church, apparently, based on their disavowal of many of their actions and doctrinal positions), and will choose to follow in the footsteps of other, more noble men.

Fair enough...if I may ask who might these "more noble men" be?

endlessQuestions
Level 34 Illuminated

simpleton wrote: March 23rd, 2023, 1:07 pm

Jesus Christ.

simpleton
captain of 1,000

Post by simpleton »

endlessQuestions wrote: March 23rd, 2023, 1:15 pm
simpleton wrote: March 23rd, 2023, 1:07 pm

Jesus Christ.
I wonder how that conversation might go for those that figure on bypassing the legal reps.

madvin
captain of 1,000

Post by madvin »

endlessQuestions wrote: March 22nd, 2023, 1:02 pm "Louise Wheeler’s extensive work with BIPOC students as an assistant clinical professor and psychologist for CAPS has reaffirmed that these students consistently feel isolated and unsafe, undermining their sense of belonging and interfering in their educational efforts."

Oh, how I'd love to spend some time digging into Louise Wheeler, but alas, I just don't have the time.

Perhaps it would be helpful if she would define her terms for us, so we can understand the nature and scope of the issue.

Not going to hold my breath.

This isn't science, after all.

It's politics.

Identity politics.
https://caps.byu.edu/directory/louise-wheeler

Areas of Special Interest/Current Professional Activities
Groups led:

Support group for students of color (Multicultural Forum)
Sexual trauma group
General process
Anxiety group
Clinical interest/expertise
Multicultural and women’s issues
Race-related stress
Trauma
Depression
Anxiety
Group therapy
Teaching:

Counseling Multiculturally Diverse Populations
Introduction to Group Psychotherapy
Women’s Issues in Career Exploration

Dangerous rhetoric
captain of 10

Post by Dangerous rhetoric »

EmmaLee wrote: March 22nd, 2023, 12:43 pm
endlessQuestions wrote: March 22nd, 2023, 12:38 pm And again, do we really imagine that so-called BIPOC students are the only ones who show up on campus and feel surprised, lonely, and isolated when they realize that there aren't many other people like them in the world?

SMH.
As a believer in Jesus Christ (the real scriptural one, not the hippy, free-love, there-is-no-sin, limp wristed version of today), the Book of Mormon as literal history/scripture, Joseph Smith as an actual prophet, seer, and revelator - and as a lover of the U.S. Constitution, Bill of Rights, 2nd Amendment, liberty, and truth - I would feel very lonely and isolated at BYU. In fact, I feel that way at church every Sunday.
It's incredible that the only people being uniquely given institutional assistance based on being a card-carrying victim status holder in public institutions, for being born a certain way and transparently for no other reason, across the board and often as mandated in the private sector as well, they figure out how to say not enough is being done.

It's surreal after growing up in a progressive hegemony where you are almost legitimately on different leagues based on who you are, privilege is a common discussion, you see aid programs exclusively for women, BIPOC, and LGBT people, face BLM and Antifa riots in the path of your work commute with a suppressed police response, and then you have a sudden moment of realization that in practice, there's a formation of the exact thing they complain about and you've in practice technically faced these same problems of culturally enforced bigotry and discrimination. I had a test trial of CRT before it became center to the controversy, and many of my peers were radicalized by the time they graduated and don't allow nuance to enter these discussions.

I have to remind myself, in heaven someday I might meet Thomas Sowell or Candace Owens and introduce myself and I can't pretend I didn't know better how to react to it.

But that's a key thing, is that leftists always default to assuming they have a unique perspective nobody else faces because of their demographic identity. I want the Church to be safe from the leftist fan service and be more forward looking.

endlessQuestions
Level 34 Illuminated

Dangerous rhetoric wrote: March 26th, 2023, 8:52 pm
EmmaLee wrote: March 22nd, 2023, 12:43 pm
endlessQuestions wrote: March 22nd, 2023, 12:38 pm And again, do we really imagine that so-called BIPOC students are the only ones who show up on campus and feel surprised, lonely, and isolated when they realize that there aren't many other people like them in the world?

SMH.
As a believer in Jesus Christ (the real scriptural one, not the hippy, free-love, there-is-no-sin, limp wristed version of today), the Book of Mormon as literal history/scripture, Joseph Smith as an actual prophet, seer, and revelator - and as a lover of the U.S. Constitution, Bill of Rights, 2nd Amendment, liberty, and truth - I would feel very lonely and isolated at BYU. In fact, I feel that way at church every Sunday.
It's incredible that the only people being uniquely given institutional assistance based on being a card-carrying victim status holder in public institutions, for being born a certain way and transparently for no other reason, across the board and often as mandated in the private sector as well, they figure out how to say not enough is being done.

It's surreal after growing up in a progressive hegemony where you are almost legitimately on different leagues based on who you are, privilege is a common discussion, you see aid programs exclusively for women, BIPOC, and LGBT people, face BLM and Antifa riots in the path of your work commute with a suppressed police response, and then you have a sudden moment of realization that in practice, there's a formation of the exact thing they complain about and you've in practice technically faced these same problems of culturally enforced bigotry and discrimination. I had a test trial of CRT before it became center to the controversy, and many of my peers were radicalized by the time they graduated and don't allow nuance to enter these discussions.

I have to remind myself, in heaven someday I might meet Thomas Sowell or Candace Owens and introduce myself and I can't pretend I didn't know better how to react to it.

But that's a key thing, is that leftists always default to assuming they have a unique perspective nobody else faces because of their demographic identity. I want the Church to be safe from the leftist fan service and be more forward looking.
Excellent analysis, in my opinion. Thanks for the contribution.