Appointments with God

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
Pazooka
Level 34 Illuminated

Appointments with God

Post by Pazooka »

The Dead Sea Scrolls talk about a solar calendar in which Passover and other special observances are always on the same day every year (ie Passover always begins Tuesday evening and the new year always begins on a Wednesday). They did not mark the phases of the moon for their temple ritual but James Tabor explains how the Hebrew word for “new” was confused with the idea of “new moon.”

Jewish scholar Rachel Elior also has studied the DSS calendar extensively. She explains that these feasts and observances are literally appointments with God which makes the calendar integral with the covenant. She also details some of the changes made by the temple high priests who were obliged to foreign rulers beginning in the 2nd century BCE, linking it with the condemnation over those who would “change times and seasons.”

It seems like a true calendar would be imperative to any sort of restoration of true worship and covenant with God.
Attachments
DE0F0ADF-DE88-43C7-85DD-682DA5519073.jpeg
DE0F0ADF-DE88-43C7-85DD-682DA5519073.jpeg (509.02 KiB) Viewed 224 times

endlessQuestions
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Appointments with God

Post by endlessQuestions »

This is far more important than most people realize. Thanks for the resources.

I bear testimony that God knows His appointed times, has never been late or early for any of His appointments, and will not fail us in these last days in regards to keeping the appointments with He has revealed are yet to come.

EDIT: Are those “red letter days” I see? ;)

Pazooka
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Pazooka »

endlessQuestions wrote: March 26th, 2023, 12:32 pm This is far more important than most people realize. Thanks for the resources.

I bear testimony that God knows His appointed times, has never been late or early for any of His appointments, and will not fail us in these last days in regards to keeping the appointments with He has revealed are yet to come.

EDIT: Are those “red letter days” I see? ;)
“Red letter days” - hailing from Roman times…HA! I see what you did there :)

Pazooka
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Pazooka »

Rachel Elior, on the cyclical nature of the calendar based on the 4 parts and the divisions by 7.

As far as I can tell, this was so that the earthly liturgy was in sync with the heavenly.

I don’t know what they did to keep from falling out of harmony with the exact solar year of 365.242 days but we don’t have all the information.

https://pluto.huji.ac.il/~mselio/Ancient-Jewish.pdf
Attachments
8D45B515-B8F6-4F20-B039-70A3CD045C72.jpeg
8D45B515-B8F6-4F20-B039-70A3CD045C72.jpeg (927.38 KiB) Viewed 160 times
F2BAEA9E-B7A9-4340-9BC2-059921168601.jpeg
F2BAEA9E-B7A9-4340-9BC2-059921168601.jpeg (767.59 KiB) Viewed 160 times

Pazooka
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Pazooka »

Pazooka wrote: March 26th, 2023, 1:55 pm Rachel Elior, on the cyclical nature of the calendar based on the 4 parts and the divisions by 7.

As far as I can tell, this was so that the earthly liturgy was in sync with the heavenly.

I don’t know what they did to keep from falling out of harmony with the exact solar year of 365.242 days but we don’t have all the information.

https://pluto.huji.ac.il/~mselio/Ancient-Jewish.pdf
Oh, snap. All they had to do was add 35 days, or 5 weeks, every 28 years. They could, for example, add a week every sabbatical year, and then another week after the fourth sabbatical year. I wonder if that was the original true nature of the sabbath and jubilee years - if it was when the extra weeks were accounted for.

It kind of makes sense in a world where there is sacred space outside of space (ie the Holy of Holies). There would also be sacred time outside of time. I love it.

BigT
captain of 100

Post by BigT »

I have some kind of mental block on understanding these calendar types of things. I read and read but it doesn’t stick. It’s like it was when I was still asleep. Very odd.

Pazooka
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Pazooka »

BigT wrote: March 26th, 2023, 3:27 pm I have some kind of mental block on understanding these calendar types of things. I read and read but it doesn’t stick. It’s like it was when I was still asleep. Very odd.
Calendar for dummies according to Pazooka:

A divinely appointed calendar is essential to being able to commune with and keep our “appointments” with God.

Evidence suggests that calendar was solar but then a lunar-solar calendar was adopted by temple priests because of foreign influence.

A remnant kept the solar calendar. They are the people who maintained the records known as the Dead Sea Scrolls.

This is a 364-day calendar with 4 seasons of 3 months as pictured above.

Anything calling itself a “restoration” would, by nature, have to get back to the divinely appointed calendar.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

Why do you use BCE/CE?

Pazooka
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Pazooka »

Niemand wrote: March 26th, 2023, 4:25 pm Why do you use BCE/CE?
It’s an inside joke

nightlight
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by nightlight »

What kind of god is only available at certain times on the calendar?

Constant communion is the path laid out by Christ

Pazooka
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Pazooka »

nightlight wrote: March 26th, 2023, 6:11 pm What kind of god is only available at certain times on the calendar?

Except that Christ showed by example the respect we should have for these appointed days. As it is written:

3 Six days shall work be done: but the seventh day is the sabbath of rest, an holy convocation; ye shall do no work therein: it is the sabbath of the Lord in all your dwellings.
4 These are the feasts of the Lord, even holy convocations, which ye shall proclaim in their seasons.

It’s an understanding of the separation of the sacred and the profane. Gentiles do not have respect for that distinction.

nightlight
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by nightlight »

Pazooka wrote: March 26th, 2023, 6:23 pm
nightlight wrote: March 26th, 2023, 6:11 pm What kind of god is only available at certain times on the calendar?

Except that Christ showed by example the respect we should have for these appointed days. As it is written:

3 Six days shall work be done: but the seventh day is the sabbath of rest, an holy convocation; ye shall do no work therein: it is the sabbath of the Lord in all your dwellings.
4 These are the feasts of the Lord, even holy convocations, which ye shall proclaim in their seasons.

It’s an understanding of the separation of the sacred and the profane. Gentiles do not have respect for that distinction.
God told us to profane for 6 days?

Pazooka
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Pazooka »

nightlight wrote: March 26th, 2023, 7:27 pm

Attachments
911A44D2-948F-4D6A-BBF6-333EC8EBB898.jpeg
911A44D2-948F-4D6A-BBF6-333EC8EBB898.jpeg (171.37 KiB) Viewed 69 times

nightlight
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by nightlight »

Pazooka wrote: March 26th, 2023, 7:34 pm

🤔

Was man made for the Sabbath...or the Sabbath made for man?

What you think you can do in a "temple" ...a Disciple can do with a thought

48 Howbeit the most High dwelleth not in temples made with hands; as saith the prophet,
49 Heaven is my throne, and earth is my footstool: what house will ye build me? saith the Lord: or what is the place of my rest?
-------------------

Pazooka
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Pazooka »

nightlight wrote: March 26th, 2023, 8:31 pm
Pazooka wrote: March 26th, 2023, 7:34 pm

🤔

Was man made for the Sabbath...or the Sabbath made for man?

What you think you can do in a "temple" ...a Disciple can do with a thought

48 Howbeit the most High dwelleth not in temples made with hands; as saith the prophet,
49 Heaven is my throne, and earth is my footstool: what house will ye build me? saith the Lord: or what is the place of my rest?
-------------------
Neither was man made for the Sabbath nor the Sabbath for man (ignorant Romans). Man is invited to join in the Sabbath with heaven.

Profane-ness is not limited to inside the temple versus outside the temple, although the temple is used to convey the message. You can profane the temple, for instance.