British citizens face 20K digicurrency cap

Discuss political news items / current events.
Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

British citizens face 20K digicurrency cap

Post by Niemand »

Don't assume this will be applied uniquely to the UK. This is global.

https://www.reuters.com/markets/currenc ... 023-02-07/

LONDON, Feb 7 (Reuters) - Britons would be limited to 20,000 digital pounds ($24,000) each if the country goes ahead with a digital currency, Bank of England Deputy Governor Jon Cunliffe said on Tuesday.

Britain's government said on Monday that it and the BoE were pressing on with work on a possible digital pound that was likely to enter circulation in the second half of this decade and be held in a "wallet" provided by banks, although no final decision has been made.

"We propose a limit of between 10,000 pounds and 20,000 pounds per individual as the appropriate balance between managing risks and supporting wide usability of the digital pound," Cunliffe said in a speech.

A limit of 10,000 pounds would mean that three quarters of people could receive their pay in digital pounds as well as holding pre-existing balances in the same account, while a 20,000 pound limit would allow almost everyone to use digital pounds for day-to-day transactions, Cunliffe said.

Money above the cap would be "swept" into a customer's commercial bank account given that a digital pound would not be a means for storing wealth, he told members of UK Finance, a banking industry body.

"At the other end, you could say I need a little wallet full of internet cash to buy things on Amazon," Cunliffe added.

Central banks across the world are studying digital currencies, with the European Union due to publish a draft law in May setting out a legal framework for a potential digital euro.

The law would need to be approved by EU states and the European Parliament, although it will be the European Central Bank that decides this autumn on whether to proceed with a digital euro.

Burkhard Balz, executive board member of Germany's Bundesbank, told a conference on Tuesday that a key aspect to be decided is whether a digital euro would have legal tender status, meaning it could be used to settle a debt in court.

BigT
captain of 100

Re: British citizens face 20K digicurrency cap

Post by BigT »

This kind of thing seems inevitable, but certainly would lead to a social credit-type of tyranny. A democrats wet dream.

Edit: Back to say I think they plan on implementing digital currency earlier than the article says.
Last edited by BigT on April 2nd, 2023, 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

endlessQuestions
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by endlessQuestions »

What will the price of bugs be?

Trying to build my new “good global citizen” budget over here.

Vision
captain of 1,000

Post by Vision »

endlessQuestions wrote: April 2nd, 2023, 6:35 am What will the price of bugs be?

They will be sold in pounds :lol:

endlessQuestions
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by endlessQuestions »

Vision wrote: April 2nd, 2023, 9:38 am
endlessQuestions wrote: April 2nd, 2023, 6:35 am What will the price of bugs be?

They will be sold in pounds :lol:
In pounds, and by the pound. ;)

Cruiserdude
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Cruiserdude »

A mess of pottage.

Edit: actually the mess of pottage will be the reward for accepting the bugs.... The price will be your birthright, or taking the mark.... I speculate 😁